NATION

PASSWORD

Is it wrong to have children?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mujahidah
Minister

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mujahidah » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:36 pm

Reutoa wrote:
Mujahidah wrote:
Thats a rather depressing worldview.

We can help continue our species through many different ways, none of which have to be depressing.

Fair. I may have misinterpreted what you meant.
Your friendly, quirky neighborhood muslim girl
The Parkus Empire wrote:To paraphrase my hero, Richard Nixon: she's pink right down to her hijab.
The Parkus Empire wrote:I misjudged you, you are much more smarter than I gave you credit for.
Northern Davincia wrote:Can we engrave this in a plaque?
The Parkus Empire wrote:I am not sure I'm entirely comfortable with a woman being this well informed, but I'll try not to judge.
The Parkus Empire wrote:Ah, m'lady, if I were a heathen I'd wed thee four times

Reutoa
Minister

Founded: Jan 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Reutoa » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:37 pm

Vovodoco wrote:
Reutoa wrote:
We exist to continue our Species, nothing more or else.

Would you consider the infertile to be objective failures?

No, they can help Humanity in many different ways. Not just in reproduction.
The Presidential Republic of Reutoa
19 year old Rockefeller Republican, College Student studying History to be a Teacher, Former Campaign Aide, aspiring pescatarian

WELD 2020
"Every time you stand up for an ideal, you send forth a tiny ripple of hope."
-Senator Robert F. Kennedy

Every post made before August 2020 is not canon for this Nation.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:38 pm

Mujahidah wrote:
Kernen wrote:David Benatar and his arguments against existence are both fascinating. He argues that the end goal of veganism is anti-natalism, as it is the most effective form of environmental protection.

My favorite argument is easily the asymmetry of existence vs. nonexistence:

Those that exist experience both good and bad. Good experience is a benefit, while bad experience is a harm. +1 and -1.

Those who never exist never experience either. Not experiencing good is neutral, while not experiencing harm is good. 0 and +1. On the whole then, never having existed is technically better than to exist.

There are arguments against this, and as I recall, Benatar effectively counters them. Regrettably, I don't remember nearly so much of his book as that.

Somehow it seems inherently wrong to imply that "not experiencing good" is simply neutral and not negative.

I'm digging waaaay back here, but I believe his argument was something like this:

We don't think it harms you to miss a good opportunity. You're unaffected. Arguing that it is a harm is inconsistent with how we react to missed benefit verses missed harm.

Additionally, he argues that we have a moral obligation not to create unhappy people, and we have no moral obligation to create happy people. The reason why there is a moral obligation not to create unhappy people is that we believe the presence of pain is bad for those who are hurt, and the absence of pain is good also when there is no someone who is experiencing this good. By contrast, the reason for which there is no moral obligation to create happy people is that although the feeling of pleasure (benefit) would be good for them, the absence of pleasure when they do not come into existence will not be bad, because there will be no one who will be deprived of this good.

He also argues that, if you reverse your argument (if no benefit is neutral, so is no harm), then you justify no moral quandary with the existence of a creature who can feel nothing but pain.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:39 pm

Asardia wrote:
Hakons wrote:
And shortly after the civil war, these millions of slaves experienced the Jubilee and were freed from slavery. They were certainly glad to experience that. There's no such thing as a wasteful life. Even doing nothing is not doing other things (opportunity cost).

If you subscribe to nihilism, I suppose wanting non existence is an easy conclusion. Amung other things, this demonstrates that nihilism is truly an awful ideology.

What about the millions who never got the chance to experience freedom? I believe that the existence of humans is a mistake. I don't see a real reason for any of us to exist. Non existence is an easy conclusion, especially compared to what you might experience in your life. No one asked to be born. So they should not be expected to continue to live

The millions of unemancipated still experienced joys at one time or another. If it was completely unbearable, they would have committed suicide. Some did, but most did not, because they realized they could enjoy some parts of life and they had the hope for freedom in their life or in the next life.

The existence of humanity is most definitely not a mistake. Arguing for no existence is arguing for mass suicide. That's not good. You are correct that no one asked to be born. That is because that question does not even exist. You have existed and there's no going back. Take control of the life you have been given.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:41 pm

Reutoa wrote:
Vovodoco wrote:Would you consider the infertile to be objective failures?

Would you say that whatever ways the infertile contribute is meaningless?
Are use voice to text, so accept some typos and Grammatical errors.
I'm a moderate free-market Libertarian boomer with a soft spot for Agorism. Also an Atheist.

I try not to do these or have those. Feel free to let me know if I come short.

Hakons
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:44 pm

Asardia wrote:
Reutoa wrote:

Why does our species exist in the first place?

Like many people, I take the religious perspective. Humanity exists because we were made to exist by God. We were made to enjoy this good creation, and as good creation ourselves we were made to be in Communion with our Creator.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Reutoa
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Reutoa » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:45 pm

Vovodoco wrote:
Reutoa wrote:

Would you say that whatever ways the infertile contribute is meaningless?

I just said "They can help Humanity in many different ways." So no, I don't think what they contribute with is Meaningless. They're helping in their own way.
19 year old Rockefeller Republican, College Student studying History to be a Teacher, Former Campaign Aide, aspiring pescatarian

WELD 2020

Reutoa
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Reutoa » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:47 pm

Asardia wrote:
Reutoa wrote:

Sorry for not seeing this, here let me answer your question.

Like how Hakons said, I believe Humanity was created by God.

WELD 2020

Asardia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 25, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Asardia » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:47 pm

Hakons wrote:
Asardia wrote:
What about the millions who never got the chance to experience freedom? I believe that the existence of humans is a mistake. I don't see a real reason for any of us to exist. Non existence is an easy conclusion, especially compared to what you might experience in your life. No one asked to be born. So they should not be expected to continue to live

The millions of unemancipated still experienced joys at one time or another. If it was completely unbearable, they would have committed suicide. Some did, but most did not, because they realized they could enjoy some parts of life and they had the hope for freedom in their life or in the next life.

The existence of humanity is most definitely not a mistake. Arguing for no existence is arguing for mass suicide. That's not good. You are correct that no one asked to be born. That is because that question does not even exist. You have existed and there's no going back. Take control of the life you have been given.

Why should I live a life I never asked for? Why should I be expected to live just because my parents decided to reproduce? I exist not because I wanted to, but because my parents let it happen.

Anyway, the slaves did "experience joys at one time or another", but still being enslaved would ultimately make the rest of those joys meaningless. I don't understand how someone can willingly give birth knowing their children will endure a life of hell. Also, how exactly can you "take control of the life you have been given", if you were one of the 4 million slaves? They had little control over their own lives.
If money is where you find happiness you'll always be poor
Often its not the driver but the passengers that find the right path

North German Realm wrote:Cantello. HE's empire looks like a Persian rug more than a flag, ngl

5pb wrote:"I'm cutting it off," Ayano raised an axe above her head

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

Asardia
Ambassador

Postby Asardia » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:48 pm

Reutoa wrote:
Asardia wrote:

How would you explain God to a non believer?

North German Realm wrote:Cantello. HE's empire looks like a Persian rug more than a flag, ngl

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

Reutoa
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Reutoa » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:49 pm

Asardia wrote:
Reutoa wrote:

I'd probably get a Bible and sit down with him/her for a while.

WELD 2020

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:49 pm

Reutoa wrote:
Asardia wrote:

I'd probably get a Bible and sit down with him/her for a while.

As a non-believer, I can say that will probably just annoy them.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:50 pm

Reutoa wrote:
Vovodoco wrote:Would you say that whatever ways the infertile contribute is meaningless?

I just said "They can help Humanity in many different ways." So no, I don't think what they contribute with is Meaningless. They're helping in their own way.

You also said earlier that:
Reutoa wrote:We exist to continue our Species, nothing more or else.

So, our only purpose is to procreate? Unless you can't? Then it's just whatever you can contribute?

Isn't easier to just say that our purpose is to contribute? I feel like there's a bunch of unnecessary "unless" clauses in that line of thinking.
I'm a moderate free-market Libertarian boomer with a soft spot for Agorism. Also an Atheist.

Puldania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Puldania » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:51 pm

yes
Learn Puldanian: https://www.memrise.com/course/1603336/puldanian/
Instrumental Art Rock Album: https://soundcloud.com/enrique-poveda-8 ... l-releases
Join the International Northwestern Union, the largest Sh!tpost based economy on NS.

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:51 pm

Asardia wrote:
Reutoa wrote:

I find it much more interesting to watch a non believer explain God to a believer.

Asardia
Ambassador

Postby Asardia » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:51 pm

Hakons wrote:
Asardia wrote:

Like many people, I take the religious perspective. Humanity exists because we were made to exist by God. We were made to enjoy this good creation, and as good creation ourselves we were made to be in Communion with our Creator.

God knows and sees evil in this world. He let people exist, knowing their life will be miserable. I'll bring back the slavery argument here. How can a God, who claims he "loves us", allow millions to be tortured? A God who sees evil and does nothing about it is not a God I want to believe in. Those slaves begged for mercy, and millions never got it until they died (which can be decades).

"Wait wait wai... FUCK!"

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:52 pm

Vovodoco wrote:
Reutoa wrote:

So, our only purpose is to procreate? Unless you can't? Then it's just whatever you can contribute?

Isn't easier to just say that our purpose is to contribute? I feel like there's a bunch of unnecessary "unless" clauses in that line of thinking.

The big flaw in saying our purpose is solely to procreate is that it justifies, at worst, rape in the name of procreation, and at best justifies treating women as breeders and not individuals with reproductive autonomy. There has to be more than mere procreation.

Lawful Evil

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:52 pm

Kernen wrote:
Vovodoco wrote:You also said earlier that:

The big flaw in saying our purpose is solely to procreate is that it justifies, at worst, rape in the name of procreation, and at best justifies treating women as breeders and not individuals with reproductive autonomy. There has to be more than mere procreation.

Fair enough. :bow:

Reutoa
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Reutoa » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:54 pm

Vovodoco wrote:
Reutoa wrote:

Isn't it easier to just say that our purpose is to contribute? I feel like there's a bunch of unnecessary "unless" clauses in that line of thinking.

Our original purpose is to reproduce, that's the first job of any species. Now if a member of that species cannot reproduce with a Mate, then they can find another way to help their species as a Whole.
Last edited by Reutoa on Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WELD 2020

Battlefleet Retaliation
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Battlefleet Retaliation » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:54 pm

Are we seriously debating this?
You know what I'm going to bed.
Last edited by Battlefleet Retaliation on Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Think the Imperial Navy from 40k but Christian.
This nation in a nutshell

A 11.4 power civilization, according to this index.
Pro: Not-heresy
Anti: Heresy

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:55 pm

Battlefleet Retaliation wrote:...
Are we seriously debating this?
You know what fuck this I'm going to bed.

Anti-natalism has some good philosophical points. They may not definitely don't stand up in the real world, but as an academic exercise, it's interesting.
Last edited by Kernen on Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawful Evil

Reutoa
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Reutoa » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:55 pm

Vovodoco wrote:
Asardia wrote:

I find it much more interesting to watch a non believer explain God to a believer.

I think it's interesting too, I always like seeing other people's opinions.

WELD 2020

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Reutoa wrote:
Vovodoco wrote:You also said earlier that:

Isn't it easier to just say that our purpose is to contribute? I feel like there's a bunch of unnecessary "unless" clauses in that line of thinking.

Our original purpose is to reproduce, that's the first job of any species. Now if a member of that species cannot reproduce with a Mate, then they can find another way to help their species as a Whole.

So if a fertile person chooses not to have a kid, then are they objectively a failure?

Puldania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Puldania » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:57 pm

Reutoa wrote:
Vovodoco wrote:

I think it's interesting too, I always like seeing other people's opinions.

So basically it's this guy with a beard who doesn't exist that really stupid people follow on twitter or whatever...
Learn Puldanian: https://www.memrise.com/course/1603336/puldanian/
Instrumental Art Rock Album: https://soundcloud.com/enrique-poveda-8 ... l-releases
Join the International Northwestern Union, the largest Sh!tpost based economy on NS.

Hakons
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:57 pm

Asardia wrote:
Hakons wrote:

Why should I live a life I never asked for? Why should I be expected to live just because my parents decided to reproduce? I exist not because I wanted to, but because my parents let it happen.

Anyway, the slaves did "experience joys at one time or another", but still being enslaved would ultimately make the rest of those joys meaningless. I don't understand how someone can willingly give birth knowing their children will endure a life of hell. Also, how exactly can you "take control of the life you have been given", if you were one of the 4 million slaves? They had little control over their own lives.

You should live your life because it is the only way. I will repeat, you did not decide to be born because that it is not even a possible question. You exist because you are.

You are presently conscious. You are breathing. You're enjoying the internet. You're debating and having an intellectual exchange. This is good. You are good. Just claim it.

I believe I exist because God ordained that my soul should be created and inhabit this body. You don't need to believe this, just realize that your life has purpose. It definitely has meaning. My ending statement was not about the slaves. Take control of the life you have been given.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General