NATION

PASSWORD

Liberals are smelly..

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Are you..

A dirty smelly liberal and proud of it
22%
A clean, upright Authoritarian who will crush any dissent
30%
I just like clicking polls
48%

Total votes : 219

Trumptonium
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumptonium » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:49 am

Most people I don't like smell, yes.
Pro: Things and people I like
Anti: Things and people I dislike

https://www.bolsonaro.com.br/

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:51 am

Trumptonium wrote:Most people I don't like smell, yes.

As a smelly liberal, I still approve of your signature in honour of John Mahoney, and the song from the show he was in.

Trumptonium
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumptonium » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:55 am

This study needs a supportive expenditure study of the different political groups on deodorants per capita or litres of deodorant a year.

Ayy
Last edited by Trumptonium on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pro: Things and people I like
Anti: Things and people I dislike

https://www.bolsonaro.com.br/

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:05 am

More often than not I view humans akin to the old graphic equalisers you'd get on stereos of days past. An infinite mix of settings that create an individual sound.. the expression of the person. To that extent I can genuinely see that a subconscious aversion to others, whether a deep seated fear of disease or similar, can certainly influence one at a political level.

Of course there's other settings that may be higher in effect, I imagine community is a strong indicator.. perhaps others.

Too often we see these studies as describing something absolutely, it's simply a preferential study and given the analogy above it probably works.

I'd linked to a study showing authoritarianism and disease ridden states, a possible correlation there.. I guess my main point on politics in general is that rational thought probably has a low influence on one's views.

A lot of the time I see in media, general social conversation and certainly these boards.. people assuming they're entirely rational in both their assessment of a particular phenomenon, a belief in their own rationality and a general negative view of others' rationality in comparison. I certainly hold myself guilty of these and I constantly try.. I try at least.. to look at the underpinning facts while often, admittedly, allowing myself for a burst of irrational stereotyping.

What would it take for us to be a more analytical society.. to view things based on underlying facts over the need, and a perfectly acceptable need, for the speed of social discourse to rely on quick judgments. Is that even desirable?

In a world where we're programming AI to make potentially large decisions with consequences we might not be able to see, and based on assumptions that are not rationally thought through, this potentially becomes more serious.

Should we take these studies somewhat more seriously than we do?
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Darussalam
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2012
Anarchy

Postby Darussalam » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:10 am

Bombadil wrote:I'd linked to a study showing authoritarianism and disease ridden states, a possible correlation there.. I guess my main point on politics in general is that rational thought probably has a low influence on one's views.

That is hardly surprising. Reason is and ought to be the slave of passions, etc. Haidt also made similar point in the Righteous Mind.
The Eternal Phantasmagoria
Nation Maintenance
A Lovecraftian (post?-)cyberpunk Galt's Gulch with Arabian Nights aesthetics, posthumanist cults, and occult artificial intellects.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:16 am

Darussalam wrote:
Bombadil wrote:I'd linked to a study showing authoritarianism and disease ridden states, a possible correlation there.. I guess my main point on politics in general is that rational thought probably has a low influence on one's views.

That is hardly surprising. Reason is and ought to be the slave of passions, etc. Haidt also made similar point in the Righteous Mind.

Well.. quite..

Is it O.K. to defecate in a urinal? If your dog dies, why not eat it? Under interrogation, most subjects in psychology experiments agree these things are wrong. But none can explain why.

Voltaire's Bastards also speaks to this rationality applied to odd ends.

Yet is that not a critique of wrongly applied reason as opposed to reason based on data? Are we not just living but also giving decisions over to an A=B process? Is it not at a speed beyond which we can influence?

So should we re-explore the substance of rationality, especially in this somewhat post-truth world?

Do we need to be authoritarian about this?
Last edited by Bombadil on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:25 am

Big Jim P wrote:
XY Inc wrote:Then you have a decent standard of hygiene & are on the right track. May I ask what is your occupation? Also are you a Satanist? If so that's SO FUCKING AWESOME!! I myself am a LaVayan Satanist.

I am a LaVeyan Satanist, and I am the night manager in the molding department of a school furniture manufacturer.

So you were the guy in charge of making lol those uncomfortable pieces of plastic and metal little slices of hell? :p
Last edited by Sovaal on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Kitten Combines
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kitten Combines » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:27 am

Bombadil wrote:Should we take these studies somewhat more seriously than we do?

Stereotyping is very rational. What do you think science is?
Expecting someone to behave differently than their type, is in the definition of Einstein, madness.
To hope for different results for the same action, over and over.
Let's face it, we're all stereotypes!

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:02 am

Lagomorph Supreme wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
I am a LaVeyan Satanist, and I am the night manager in the molding department of a school furniture manufacturer.

(((LayoyVey)))

*** Warned for trolling. *** Do not do the triple parentheses, not even in jest.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Revlona
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:04 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Lagomorph Supreme wrote:
(((LayoyVey)))

*** Warned for trolling. *** Do not do the triple parentheses, not even in jest.

May I ask what triple parentheses means?
Lover of doggos

Nambutu
Secretary

Founded: Feb 28, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Nambutu » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:04 am

What's the triple parenthesis?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:05 am

Nambutu wrote:What's the triple parenthesis?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_parentheses
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Saikado
Secretary

Founded: Mar 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Saikado » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:05 am

I don't know about this. The girl I have a crush on is a hard conservative but she really needs to spray a bit of perfume in the am
The Saikadan State, a constitutional monarchy encompassing the island of Saikado and various imperial overseas territories. Currently in the year 1923 AD.
Currently governed by Prime Minister Chamkiri Othayep (Antei) on the confidence of His Imperial Majesty, Premaksator Korechoem II

Saikado
Secretary

Founded: Mar 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Saikado » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:06 am

Revlona wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:*** Warned for trolling. *** Do not do the triple parentheses, not even in jest.

May I ask what triple parentheses means?

It's a thing neo-Nazis use to identify people they claim are Jewish.
The Saikadan State, a constitutional monarchy encompassing the island of Saikado and various imperial overseas territories. Currently in the year 1923 AD.
Currently governed by Prime Minister Chamkiri Othayep (Antei) on the confidence of His Imperial Majesty, Premaksator Korechoem II

Revlona
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Revlona » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:06 am

Farnhamia wrote:

Ah it's antisemetic
Lover of doggos

Nambutu
Secretary

Founded: Feb 28, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Nambutu » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:06 am

Farnhamia wrote:

Can't we take it back as the cyberhug?

Can I... cyberhug you?

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:08 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

So you were the guy in charge of making lol those uncomfortable pieces of plastic and metal little slices of hell? :p

I run the machines that cast the plastic parts.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Hatterleigh » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:10 pm

liberals eat poopoo... how will obuma blumfph ever recover?
✦ ✦ ✦ The Free Domain of Hatterleigh ✦ ✦ ✦
National News Network: William Botrum entering last days in office - President-elect Rood preparing or term
Overview of Hatterleigh | William Botrum, Hatterleigh's President | Hatterlese Embassy Program | I don't use NS stats.

The Vladivostok Confederacy
Secretary

Founded: Dec 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Vladivostok Confederacy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:13 pm

Hatterleigh wrote:liberals eat poopoo... how will obuma blumfph ever recover?

huh?
The People's Republic of the Vladivostok Confederacy
Overview - General Secretary - Political Parties
The Vladivostok Tribune Headline: General Secretary Daletski signs a bill into law allowing for immigrants to run for elections.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:13 pm

Lagomorph Supreme wrote:
Saikado wrote:
It's a thing neo-Nazis use to identify people they claim are Jewish.

LaVey was a literal Jew.

Doesn't matter.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:14 pm

Trumptonium wrote:This study needs a supportive expenditure study of the different political groups on deodorants per capita or litres of deodorant a year.

Ayy

I dunno if buying less deodorant means they're OK with smelling or they're just showering more often instead.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:16 pm

Lagomorph Supreme wrote:
Hatterleigh wrote:liberals eat poopoo... how will obuma blumfph ever recover?

LOL

And on that note, we bid a not very fond farewell to the thread on how liberals tend to be more tolerant of smells than conservatives. We'll never forget our time here ... trust me, Bombadil, we won't forget.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General