NATION

PASSWORD

Does freedom of speech protect FHRITP?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Finswedeway
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Finswedeway » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:03 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Finswedeway wrote:the Free Speech response to harassment is to ignore them. If your happiness depends upon what other people say to you, there is something wrong with you.

There's such a thing as personal accountability, you know?

Therefore, I shall camp outside your door and yell, "Finswedeway performs oral sex on anyone and everyone for $5 a head" all day.

I mean, if your happiness depends upon what other people say to you, there is something wrong with you.

Go ahead. As long as you aren't on private property, I have no right to tell you not to do that.

EDIT:
Saiwania wrote:Yes, generally speaking- you're free to speak. But other people are under no obligation to be receptive to whatever you're saying. If you're making a nuisance of yourself, you can get negative consequences which might include being thrown out the door.

This
Last edited by Finswedeway on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To survive the coming age, we must adapt, resist populist influences, and root out greedy tyranny from the hallowed halls of government, and as God is my witness, we will survive.
-Audo av Sangua

Kanussiya
Secretary

Founded: Feb 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kanussiya » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:24 pm

Being able to speak is important, that is a fact nobody should deny. What is not important, however, is being allowed to harass people in cold blood. People sticking to their 1st Amendment Rights while they flagrantly abuse them by swearing like a barbarian, only to be shunned by society is like complaining when you have your guns taken away when you shoot up a school.

"Hurrpa durp I have the right to bear arms and to speak." Sure you do, but you do not have the right to viciously discharge them on random people, whether for fun (in which case you have severe mental illness) or for literally no reason.
Last edited by Kanussiya on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finswedeway
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Finswedeway » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:36 pm

Kanussiya wrote:Being able to speak is important, that is a fact nobody should deny. What is not important, however, is being allowed to harass people in cold blood. People sticking to their 1st Amendment Rights while they flagrantly abuse them by swearing like a barbarian, only to be shunned by society is like complaining when you have your guns taken away when you shoot up a school.

"Hurrpa durp I have the right to bear arms and to speak." Sure you do, but you do not have the right to viciously discharge them on random people, whether for fun (in which case you have severe mental illness) or for literally no reason.

"Golly gee, I sure do love oppression; it prevents people from hurting my feelings!"

Guns can kill and maim. Words cannot.
To survive the coming age, we must adapt, resist populist influences, and root out greedy tyranny from the hallowed halls of government, and as God is my witness, we will survive.
-Audo av Sangua

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:37 pm

Without persistence I wouldn't call it harassment.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Hatterleigh » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:42 pm

As long as it isn't one person or organized group targeting a person, and doing it repeatedly, then yes. Sure, it's a rude thing to say, but the law doesn't protect your feelings.
✦ ✦ ✦ The Free Domain of Hatterleigh ✦ ✦ ✦
National News Network: William Botrum entering last days in office - President-elect Rood preparing or term
Overview of Hatterleigh | William Botrum, Hatterleigh's President | Hatterlese Embassy Program | I don't use NS stats.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:58 pm

A provincial court judge in St. John's

We don't have absolute "freedom of speech" here, there are many exceptions. And apparently this isn't among them. There's your answer.

Kanussiya
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Kanussiya » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Finswedeway wrote:"Golly gee, I sure do love oppression; it prevents people from hurting my feelings!"

Either way, it is a pretty big nuisance that people should really stop abusing if they want to be advocates for them.

There is a pretty noticeable line between people (and governments) implementing social sanctions (or laws) to prevent a cacophony of absolutely useless spoken words, and actual oppression. So what flavor will it be for you?
Will it be "oppression" by governments telling you to stop wasting breath by running your mouth on some unpopular opinion of yours, or will it be the people telling you to maybe be less morally inept? Either way, that is totally out of line for people or governments to encourage dignity and mutual respect!

After all, there is literally no difference between people being encouraged to respect other people's boundaries and actual Juche speech and press policies.

Finswedeway
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Finswedeway » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:03 pm

Kanussiya wrote:
Finswedeway wrote:"Golly gee, I sure do love oppression; it prevents people from hurting my feelings!"

Either way, it is a pretty big nuisance that people should really stop abusing if they want to be advocates for them.

There is a pretty noticeable line between people (and governments) implementing social sanctions (or laws) to prevent a cacophony of absolutely useless spoken words, and actual oppression. So what flavor will it be for you?
Will it be "oppression" by governments telling you to stop wasting breath by running your mouth on some unpopular opinion of yours, or will it be the people telling you to maybe be less morally inept? Either way, that is totally out of line for people or governments to encourage dignity and mutual respect!

After all, there is literally no difference between people being encouraged to respect other people's boundaries and actual Juche speech and press policies.

Encouraged is fine, but forcing people to be subjugated by a government (or really any organization) telling them what they can and can't say does not sit well with me. Let the social consequences of being a dick pay for themselves, rather than imposing government punishment on said dicks.
-Audo av Sangua

Kanussiya
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Kanussiya » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:30 pm

Finswedeway wrote:Encouraged is fine, but forcing people to be subjugated by a government (or really any organization) telling them what they can and can't say does not sit well with me. Let the social consequences of being a dick pay for themselves, rather than imposing government punishment on said dicks.

Actually I do somewhat agree with that logic, but honestly, support and/or cooperation from any organization should only be expected by contract. I would imagine that most organizations will not do business with someone who is generally just a distraction. Wouldn't an organization like a company refusing service to someone like this qualify as "social consequences?"

Finswedeway
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Finswedeway » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:35 pm

Kanussiya wrote:
Finswedeway wrote:Encouraged is fine, but forcing people to be subjugated by a government (or really any organization) telling them what they can and can't say does not sit well with me. Let the social consequences of being a dick pay for themselves, rather than imposing government punishment on said dicks.

Actually I do somewhat agree with that logic, but honestly, support and/or cooperation from any organization should only be expected by contract. I would imagine that most organizations will not do business with someone who is generally just a distraction. Wouldn't an organization like a company refusing service to someone like this qualify as "social consequences?"

I suppose if an employee is being a nuisance, it's justified to fire him/her, because the employer makes a voluntary deal with the employee. This would also apply to state employees. But citizens are more comparable to costumers than employees.
-Audo av Sangua

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:38 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Finswedeway wrote:the Free Speech response to harassment is to ignore them. If your happiness depends upon what other people say to you, there is something wrong with you.

There's such a thing as personal accountability, you know?

Therefore, I shall camp outside your door and yell, "Finswedeway performs oral sex on anyone and everyone for $5 a head" all day.

I mean, if your happiness depends upon what other people say to you, there is something wrong with you.

If you're right outside the door, they could kick you off the property. They could also call up their friends to encourage you to leave their neighborhood/appartment.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:38 pm

Neutraligon wrote:What exactly was the charge?

Ding! correct line of thought.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Hakons
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:41 pm

Of course this speech is protected. Obscenities are uncivil, but they're still legal. This is a no brainer.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:47 pm

Hakons wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Therefore, I shall camp outside your door and yell, "Finswedeway performs oral sex on anyone and everyone for $5 a head" all day.

If you're right outside the door, they could kick you off the property. They could also call up their friends to encourage you to leave their neighborhood/appartment.

That would be assault.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:53 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:What exactly was the charge?

Ding! correct line of thought.

disturbing the peace, acorrding to the article in the op
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The of Japan
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The of Japan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:55 pm

in USA, it should, if it doesn't already. The freedom of speech precisely protects speech that others may not like.
Texan Communist and Internationalist

Finswedeway
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Finswedeway » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:55 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Hakons wrote:

That would be assault.

I'm not certain, but I'm fairly sure that if someone is trespassing on your property, you are allowed to kick them out, whether or not by force. And if there was someone or a group of people who owned the neighborhood, like if it was a gated community or something, they would be within their rights to force you out.

You're free to say what you want, but you can't just invade people's property.
-Audo av Sangua

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:58 pm

"an emotional disturbance does not meet the criteria for a charge of disturbing the peace."

Seems balanced.

Hakons
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:59 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Hakons wrote:

That would be assault.

You're allowed to force people of your property, and the traditional form of intimidation by gathering your neighbors is both effective and legal. Idealism against freedom of speech, whatever that means, would probably dissolve in the face of five large neighbors that would like you to leave.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:17 pm

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/justin-penton-heather-gillis-fhitp-fhritp-1.4542901

A provincial court judge in St. John's has ruled it could be illegal to shout a sexist slur at female reporters, but not in the case of what happened to NTV reporter Heather Gillis last year outside the city dump.

It was never a question of whether Justin Penton hurled the words at Gillis while she was interviewing St. John's Mayor Danny Breen at the Robin Hood Bay waste management facility in April 2017. The issue for the judge was whether or not it constituted a crime in that context.

Another FHRITP incident in St. John's, another police complaint filed
Man charged for yelling FHRITP obscenity at NTV journalist
Gillis reported she was "humiliated, embarrassed and disgusted" by the comments. Breen said it made him uncomfortable.

But Judge Colin Flynn ruled an emotional disturbance does not meet the criteria for a charge of disturbing the peace.

"Something more than emotional upset and a momentary interruption in a conversation is needed to constitute the criminal offence," Flynn wrote in his decision.

Penton did not appear in court on Tuesday for the decision.

Last April, Gillis had just finished interviewing Breen, who was a city councillor at the time, and was following up with a few off-camera questions. Penton drove by in his truck and yelled "F--k her in the p---y" on his way into the dump.

So basically, it's getting to the point where the FHRITP meme is resulting in criminal charges in Canada. But not convictions; at least not yet. However, they haven't been left completely off the table; future cases may end in that depending on the context.

This seems like the right balance. We shouldn't create a black check people using this choice of words as a means to utter threats, or an incitement to gang-rape specific targets. But you don't want the government censoring speech over feelings alone either.

You either define trolling as free speech, or you don't. If Nazis can march through Jewish neighborhoods under the guise of free speech, then, in said place, FHRITP shouldn't be an issue.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:30 pm

Shofercia wrote:
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/justin-penton-heather-gillis-fhitp-fhritp-1.4542901

So basically, it's getting to the point where the FHRITP meme is resulting in criminal charges in Canada. But not convictions; at least not yet. However, they haven't been left completely off the table; future cases may end in that depending on the context.

This seems like the right balance. We shouldn't create a black check people using this choice of words as a means to utter threats, or an incitement to gang-rape specific targets. But you don't want the government censoring speech over feelings alone either.

You either define trolling as free speech, or you don't. If Nazis can march through Jewish neighborhoods under the guise of free speech, then, in said place, FHRITP shouldn't be an issue.

tbf this is canada not the US. the law is different.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

MGTOWia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby MGTOWia » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:54 pm

This is the kind of nonsense that occurs in societies that lack the equivalent of the First Amendment. And even in societies where free speech is protected, it is still under relentless attack from agenda-driven judicial dictators and SJW legal terrorists (among others).

Short answer: YES.
"The more money you make, the more women you should avoid." -- YouTube user Anubis_X64

"Wokeness is a disease. MGTOW is the cure."

"Love: (n) the mechanism the human species has evolved to keep males and females from killing each other long enough to produce and raise offspring."

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:00 pm

Risottia wrote:
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:..."F--k her in the p---y" on his way into the dump.
So basically, it's getting to the point where the FHRITP meme ...

...So, "fuck her in the pussy" becomes FHRITP.

Uhm.

Why they "R"?

f*ck her right in the P*ssy
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:01 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Risottia wrote:
...So, "fuck her in the pussy" becomes FHRITP.

Uhm.

Why they "R"?

f*ck her right in the P*ssy

You could leave out the asterisks, it's okay in this context. :)
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:04 pm

The of Japan wrote:in USA, it should, if it doesn't already. The freedom of speech precisely protects speech that others may not like.

This is specifically about Canadian freedom of speech laws.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General