NATION

PASSWORD

American Accent

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: American Accent

Postby Yootopia » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:51 am

DrunkenDove wrote:Remember the scene in Hot Fuzz where the old farmer had to have his accent translated by the old cop to a form Nick frost could understand so he could translate it for Simon Pegg? All the people around where I live speak like that farmer. It's hard work even to say "hello".

You from the west country then, moi loverrrrrrrrr?
End the Modigarchy now.

DrunkenDove
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 15, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby DrunkenDove » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:22 am

Yootopia wrote:
DrunkenDove wrote:Remember the scene in Hot Fuzz where the old farmer had to have his accent translated by the old cop to a form Nick frost could understand so he could translate it for Simon Pegg? All the people around where I live speak like that farmer. It's hard work even to say "hello".

You from the west country then, moi loverrrrrrrrr?

I be visiting, stealing all the British jobs and women, like a good ex-pat should.
The butterfly fluttered by.

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:09 am

Greater Americania wrote:American accents are very easy to understand. They're clear and flat. I agree, as an American I too have trouble understanding foreign accents. What kinds? Every kind. I find the British easiest to understand, largely because it's not very strong.

There is no such thing as a British accent, seeing as Britain is composed of 3 different countries, all of which have different accents.
Original join date March 25th 2008, bitches!
Economic Left/Right: 1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.12

Eofaerwic
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Eofaerwic » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:23 am

No Names Left Damn It wrote:
Greater Americania wrote:American accents are very easy to understand. They're clear and flat. I agree, as an American I too have trouble understanding foreign accents. What kinds? Every kind. I find the British easiest to understand, largely because it's not very strong.

There is no such thing as a British accent, seeing as Britain is composed of 3 different countries, all of which have different accents.

As does each county (well outside the Home Counties at least) and each city. What most people think of as a British accent is Received Pronunciation, and that just because up until relatively recently it was the accent BBC presenters had to use.
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.38
Grave_n_idle: That's much better, that's not creepy at all. Nothing creepy about dropping a hook in someone's brain soup.
Mad hatters in jeans:Why is there a whirlpool inside your head?

Reprocycle
Attaché

Founded: Mar 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Reprocycle » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:30 am

No Names Left Damn It wrote:

Four different countries. Britain is different from Great Britain don't forget.

Sorry I can never resist

Mt Id
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Mt Id » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:31 am

Ok if you want to say Britain has no accent then you have to say America has no accent. If Britain has three "different" accents america has atleast 4. There is the "New Yorker" accent, the "Southurn"(spelt like that on purpose) accent, the "Texan" accent, and the "Mid-Western" accent.

You can't base an entire accent of a country like america based on one or two people that you meet. Sometimes people here in america have trouble understanding each other and the way they talk. I live in the south and am constantly accused of sounding like I'm from the north because I've lived in areas where the southern influence has been rather minimal and so my accent isn't nearly as pronounced.

Hydrosteria
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydrosteria » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:35 am

Hydesland wrote:That entirely depends on the type of British accents, for instance a slightly posh or even cockney southern accent is far more colourful and with a lot more contrast than any normal American accent. Also, if people ever pretend to do an American accent in the UK, they do it by deliberately limiting the contrast in their accent and limiting the highs and the lows.

Hmm... hold on...

*Tries Out American Accent*

You make a very good point... I am now sitting here going "Hay There!" To myself.

Yootopia wrote:Southern accents are incredibly easy to understand. If people claim not to understand you, they just hate you :p
generally British accents are flat and monotone without much expression, just a dreary drone; and I should know, I am one.

Eh that's lies and foreign propaganda, my man. People largely have some kind of regionality in their accent. The southern accent is probably the one you'd hear most on American TV, but a bit overdone. Speak with very clipped tones myself, but that's pretty rare anywhere in Britain.

My apologies, that should read, -Northern accents are hard to understand-Southern accents are easier to understand-

I was having a bit of a fools moment with my grammer it seems; and I am one of those eccentric oddities who speaks like an upper class snob despite my famies completely-and-utterly-non-upper-background.

Levity
Lobbyist

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Levity » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:53 am

Mt Id wrote:Ok if you want to say Britain has no accent then you have to say America has no accent. If Britain has three "different" accents america has atleast 4. There is the "New Yorker" accent, the "Southurn"(spelt like that on purpose) accent, the "Texan" accent, and the "Mid-Western" accent.

You can't base an entire accent of a country like america based on one or two people that you meet. Sometimes people here in america have trouble understanding each other and the way they talk. I live in the south and am constantly accused of sounding like I'm from the north because I've lived in areas where the southern influence has been rather minimal and so my accent isn't nearly as pronounced.

America, like all other countries, has far more than 4 accents. Which "New Yorker" accent? Brooklyn? Long Island? Buffalo? My grandmother, who lives in NYC, sounds more like Katherine Hepburn than someone off of the Sopranos or an Olive Garden commercial.

The maps here: http://www.ling.upenn.edu/phono_atlas/home.html are good for thinking about US English accents.

I grew up in the Hudson River Valley and Connecticut and currently live in upstate New York. My accent probably is closest to the Inland North accent than anything else, but my vowels don't slide forward as much as people who have lived their whole lives here. (I hear it in my kids. When I say "bag, the "a" is vocalized much further back than most local people. ) I've maintained some of the characteristics of the Connecticut/Western New England accent, like the glottal stop in some of my words (Clint'n for Clinton, mitt'n for mitten).

And there are about as many Southern accents as there are southerners! Some are more difficult for me than others, as I don't hear them as often, and I think those maps don't account for the southern accents well...take Mississippi -- the Gulf Coast accent sounds a lot different to me than some of the more inland ones.

I love listening to accents. There are only a few that grate on me a little, and it's usually beacuse of the voice tone of the person speaking them, more than the accent itself.
Last edited by Levity on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mt Id
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Mt Id » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:54 am

Levity wrote:
Mt Id wrote:Ok if you want to say Britain has no accent then you have to say America has no accent. If Britain has three "different" accents america has atleast 4. There is the "New Yorker" accent, the "Southurn"(spelt like that on purpose) accent, the "Texan" accent, and the "Mid-Western" accent.

America, like all other countries, has far more than 4 accents. Which "New Yorker" accent? Brooklyn? Long Island? Buffalo? My grandmother, who lives in NYC, sounds more like Katherine Hepburn than someone off of the Sopranos or an Olive Garden commercial.

The maps here: http://www.ling.upenn.edu/phono_atlas/home.html are good for thinking about US English accents.

I grew up in the Hudson River Valley and Connecticut and currently live in upstate New York. My accent probably is closest to the Inland North accent than anything else, but my vowels don't slide forward as much as people who have lived their whole lives here. (I hear it in my kids. When I say "bag, the "a" is vocalized much further back than most local people where it's ) I've maintained some of the characteristics of the Connecticut/Western New England accent, like the glottal stop in some of my words (Clint'n for Clinton, mitt'n for mitten).

And there are about as many Southern accents as there are southerners! Some are more difficult for me than others, as I don't hear them as often, and I think those maps don't account for the southern accents well...take Mississippi -- the Gulf Coast accent sounds a lot different to me than some of the more inland ones.

I love listening to accents. There are only a few that grate on me a little, and it's usually beacuse of the voice tone of the person speaking them, more than the accent itself.

I said atleast four because I know there are many many more but most can be separated under the BROAD categories I mentioned above.

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:55 am

Reprocycle wrote:
Fson wrote:mon= come on
wat= what
bout ye= what about you, (hello)
how's she cuttin= read above

My mum used to yell at me for changing 'o' to 'a' in words e.g. Chacalate, Shaps, etc. I'm forever grateful to her for breaking me of the habit :p

Sounds like my mom's accent--upstate New York.
"I hate you! I HATE you collectivist society. You can't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL legitimate government. As soon as my band takes off, and I invent a perpetual motion machine, I am SO out of here!" - Neo Art

"But please, explain how a condom breaking is TOTALLY different from a tire getting blown out. I mean, in one case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own, and in the other case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own." - The Norwegian Blue

Reprocycle
Attaché

Founded: Mar 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Reprocycle » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:56 am

Ryadn wrote:
Reprocycle wrote:
wat= what

My mum used to yell at me for changing 'o' to 'a' in words e.g. Chacalate, Shaps, etc. I'm forever grateful to her for breaking me of the habit :p

I got it from spending too much time with kids from Belfast

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:00 am

Tyrrin wrote:As an American, I sometimes have trouble understanding foreign accents, especially ones that I haven't heard very often. I work in a place where we have a lot of international visitors. I was wondering if others have any difficulty understanding Americans. Sorry if I sound like an ignorant American.

I have no trouble whatsoever understanding any type of accent. I have no idea why, but I just get them. But if you write as if you were speaking in an accent I'm sure I'll not be able to understand what the hell you are saying. I'm part of an American family living in Puerto Rico. For the most part I would say I have what is a Western American Accent which means that I basically have no accent at all. As long as you understand English, you should be able understand me. Of course, I don't say "uh" much, I say "eh" (not pronounced "ay." I'm no Canadian!!...) and I might say some things in Spanish by accident but that's about it.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Pol and Queens County
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pol and Queens County » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:01 am

I live in New York City, and have lived their for my entire life, yet I don't have a strong accent. On the other hand I had an English teacher who spoke with the strongest Brooklyn accent you will ever hear.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:02 am

:rofl: You're joking, right?
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Levity
Lobbyist

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Levity » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:09 am

Ryadn wrote:
Reprocycle wrote:
wat= what

Rah-chester? :P

Frei Volk
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frei Volk » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:11 am

Fun little story. I was on an exchange trip in Germany. The region I was in is said to have very good Germanic pronunciation. The Father at the host family spoke a dialect which the rest of his family laughed when he talked in it. It all sounded German to me. I don't think it is like that for people of other countries because they hear our accents all the time in pop-culture. I think my relatives in western New York sound funny, and they don't live that far away. No, silly relatives; it's not called pop.
If anyone calls me old fashioned, or otherwise insults my families honor. They will be challenged to a duel.

The Grand Philippines
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grand Philippines » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:16 am

Pinoy accent! :clap:

Dagnia
Senator

Founded: Jul 27, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dagnia » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:19 am

I have been video chatting over Skype with a guy living in Australia who is originally from Bangladesh, and sometimes talk to his roommate who is from Persia. They both say that my English is far easier to understand than that of the Australians. I live in Buffalo, but am an Air Force brat, so I have lived in several different parts of the country. My parents are both originally from Buffalo.

There is no American accent. Given where I live and who I have dated, I talk more like a Canadian than an American (I don't say "eh" at the end of every sentence, nor do I say "aboot" in the place of "about", they really only talk like that in Alberta or Newfoundland). Our different regions talk with accents that can at times be difficult for other Americans to understand.
Wait an hour, and it will be now again

Crabulonia
Minister

Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Crabulonia » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:19 am

Americans have no idea what I'm saying (Scottish eastern lowlander). I speak at a quicker pace than the American's I've found, I need to slow down to about half pace sometimes. It is like speaking to somebody who speaks a different language who has a tenuous grasp of English.

One day I kept my pace with Americans when I went home, my brother asked me why I was talking like a retard. Interestingly, we speak far quicker in Scotland and think people who speak slowly are in someway unable to think quickly. I've found this to not be true, but I'm not sure if the relative clarity of American accents means that they aren't as used to understanding people with different accents.

Fionnuala_Saoirse
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fionnuala_Saoirse » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:23 am

Crabulonia wrote:Americans have no idea what I'm saying (Scottish eastern lowlander). I speak at a quicker pace than the American's I've found, I need to slow down to about half pace sometimes. It is like speaking to somebody who speaks a different language who has a tenuous grasp of English.

I find the same problem with regards to speed of speech. That and a blend of wierd vowel sounds and liltiness doesn't help.
Stupid Telegrams Received :

- "Isn't your name the name of the female Branch of the IRA" -- Benian Republic

Crabulonia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Crabulonia » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:34 am

Fionnuala_Saoirse wrote:
Crabulonia wrote:Americans have no idea what I'm saying (Scottish eastern lowlander). I speak at a quicker pace than the American's I've found, I need to slow down to about half pace sometimes. It is like speaking to somebody who speaks a different language who has a tenuous grasp of English.

I find the same problem with regards to speed of speech. That and a blend of wierd vowel sounds and liltiness doesn't help.

Still, I'd prefer varied speech existed because it tends to give me an air of mystery. A bit of other worldliness that American women find irresistable.

Meowfoundland
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meowfoundland » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:41 am

I'm pretty good at understanding thick accents. I go to a school which is about 80% immigrant or overseas student, so I get a lot of practice.
This was formerly a signature. One day, it may return to its splendid past. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of my cats.

Crabulonia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Crabulonia » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:45 am

Meowfoundland wrote:I'm pretty good at understanding thick accents. I go to a school which is about 80% immigrant or overseas student, so I get a lot of practice.

I'm quite envious of that because though I'm not in a university where there is a good range of people from different countries, I went to a school that was 95% white, mostly Christian, no homosexuals, about two foreign students, and generally lacked diversity beyond the arbitrary divisions that high school kids erect.

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:49 am

Tyrrin wrote:I was wondering if others have any difficulty understanding Americans.

I do. Some of them - expecially Southerners and Californians - are just barely more understandable than Pakistanis.
On the other hand, Bostonians and New Yorkers aren't much difficult to understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V6bnqRYkzo
Last edited by Risottia on Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Statanist through and through.
Evilutionist Atheist Crusadjihadist. Egli/Lui.
"Darwinu Akhbar! Dawkins vult!"
Founder of the NSG Peace Prize Committee. Should I restart the bugger?
SUMMER, BLOODY SUMMER!

Crabulonia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Crabulonia » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:53 am

Risottia wrote:
Tyrrin wrote:I was wondering if others have any difficulty understanding Americans.

I do. Some of them - expecially Southerners and Californians - are just barely more understandable than Pakistanis.
On the other hand, Bostonians and New Yorkers aren't much difficult to understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V6bnqRYkzo

They always sound like they're asking questions to me because when they are trying to explain something they go up at the end of every sentence. My experience certainly.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General