NATION

PASSWORD

Trump administration bars Haitians from U.S visas

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:14 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:If you admit that it's a dick move that hurts Haitians, why say that people complaining about the program's suspension from *one* country, not the suspension of the program as a whole, don't care about Haitians or immigrants and just want to get angry at Trump?

Because that's all this is.

This is just another opportunity at talking about how Trump is a massive dick.

What else is it? We haven't talked about the visa programs and its excesses unless it is relevant to dispute your point. At all. It has been mostly you accusing me of being a dirty illiberal because somehow I'm not buying into trying to shout my impotent anger at Trump and how much of a racist shitbag he is alongside the rest of you.

Even the OP is explicitly and unabashedly mostly about bitching about Trump. You cannot sit here and seriously believe that, in this thread, the topic has somehow been the immigrants and the visa program being suspended for Haiti, or that the topic for discussion has somehow been Haiti.

What the fuck do you think we've been discussing for the past four fucking pages?

But facts are inconvenient. Jesus H. Christ.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Claorica
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Claorica » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:14 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Claorica wrote:The point is that it was the local government that was hoarding it, keeping it from be used.

It's not the federal government's fault that the recovery is going as slowly as it is.

I guarantee that Haitians would be 100% more grateful, especially considering they don't have near the political agenda as the Democrat leaders of Puerto Rico.

Pretty sure your source lays the blame on the power company, not the local government. But don't let that inconvenient fact get in the way.

A power company that in puerto rico is a municpal power company: ergo controlled by the local government.
Pros Localism, Subsidiarity, Distributism, Traditionalism, Conservatism, Christian Democracy, Ruralism, Southern Agrarianism, Regionalism, State's Rights, Monarchism, Federalism, Rerum Novarum, Christian Monarchy, Christian conservatism, Boers, Presbyterianism (PCA) Aristocracy, Catholicism, the Subsidiarity Principle

Dues-Paying Member of the American Solidarity Party.

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:15 pm

Vassenor wrote:

Oh, one warehouse. Guess that means everything is peachy on the ground.

Search up the governors q/a's.

NOTE: they are in spanish.
Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.00

Trumptonium
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumptonium » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:15 pm

Claorica wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Being a territory won't help. Look at Puerto Rico.

You mean the place where Federal Agents just raided a warehouse full of aid supplies?

this is golden

i'll use this, thanks
Pro: Things and people I like
Anti: Things and people I dislike

https://www.bolsonaro.com.br/

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:16 pm

Claorica wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Pretty sure your source lays the blame on the power company, not the local government. But don't let that inconvenient fact get in the way.

A power company that in puerto rico is a municpal power company: ergo controlled by the local government.

So do you have actual evidence the government is deliberately withholding aid to make Trump look bad, or is it all just supposition based on one warehouse operated by a company that the local government is trying to force more oversight of?

Because we've been here before.
Last edited by Vassenor on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:17 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:What the fuck do you think we've been discussing for the past four fucking pages?

We've been discussing how much of an asshole I am being because somehow you think I don't see this as a bad thing, considering this gem of yours as an opening:

Conserative Morality wrote:
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:Um... do you think they come here to have a better life as a farm-hand working from sunrise to sundown picking fruit?

I mean, let's be honest, do you consider being a fruit picker a "better life"?

Do I think getting paid at least minimum wage in a developed country for doing manual labor is better than doing manual labor for pennies in the home country"

Uh, yes. What's wrong with picking fruit, again? Other than your inconsistency in looking down at labor when it suits your sense of political self-righteousness and deriding others for doing so at other times?

You'd think you can go back and read your own posts.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:18 pm

United Anti-Kekistanian Republic wrote:Haitians will no longer be eligible for U.S. visas given to low-skilled workers, the Trump administration said on Wednesday, bringing an end to a small-scale effort to employ Haitians in the United States after a catastrophic 2010 earthquake.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced the change less than a week after President Donald Trump reportedly questioned in an Oval Office meeting why the United States would want to take in immigrants from Haiti and African nations, referring to them as "shithole" countries. Trump has denied using that word.
DHS said in a regulatory filing that it was removing Haiti from lists of more than 80 countries whose citizens can be granted H-2A and H-2B visas, given to seasonal workers in agriculture and other industries

( It can be read at https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump ... smsnnews11 )

Trump is unbelievable. As far as I feel, only criminals or terrorists should be kept away from the U.S . Honestly, I don't believe him when he says he is the most "unracist" person you have ever met. I understand that he has racist beliefs, but come on ! Is America supposed to be all White forever ? Most of the world is not all 'White'. Does he honestly believe in these racist stereotypes ? I can't wait until he leaves the White House !
If it's not racism, what is it ? Do you approve of his actions or disapprove ? I want to know what you think NSers !!

Wow. Now this is just sad!
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:19 pm

I'm in favor of this. Hispaniola is divided into 2 parts. The good part of the island is the Dominican Republic, the bad part of the island is Haiti. We don't want people from the poor half. It is importing poverty and will make the US poorer. We only want people from already well off countries. I don't think Dominicans are ideal, but I'd definitely be open to allowing them in more than Haitians.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:20 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Claorica wrote:A power company that in puerto rico is a municpal power company: ergo controlled by the local government.

So do you have actual evidence the government is deliberately withholding aid to make Trump look bad, or is it all just supposition based on one warehouse operated by a company that the local government is trying to force more oversight of?

Your own source says research in progress friendo

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:21 pm

Israeli Defense Force wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:

Lazy yet paradoxically willing to work?

Explains their dependence on low-skill jobs.

The ones that are most labor intensive?

They do the hardest work for the lowest pay and they are lazy?

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:22 pm

Israeli Defense Force wrote:
Explains their dependence on low-skill jobs.

Relevant:

Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Trumptonium
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Trumptonium » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:23 pm

The East Marches II wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Your own source says research in progress friendo

I mean, not only is it Snopes, but you should know by now that Vassenor demands sources she won't read (maybe the title), and whenever trying to "prove" a point, will grab the fastest google link whose title agrees with the premise of the argument

$10 says Vass would still post that link if the content was just a rick roll video, because the title is fine.

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:24 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Claorica wrote:A power company that in puerto rico is a municpal power company: ergo controlled by the local government.

To make Trump look bad? No, but because of massive incompentence taking place and literal favoritism politics inside the island? Yes.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:24 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:What the fuck do you think we've been discussing for the past four fucking pages?

We've been discussing how much of an asshole I am being because somehow you think I don't see this as a bad thing, considering this gem of yours as an opening:

Conserative Morality wrote:Do I think getting paid at least minimum wage in a developed country for doing manual labor is better than doing manual labor for pennies in the home country"

Uh, yes. What's wrong with picking fruit, again? Other than your inconsistency in looking down at labor when it suits your sense of political self-righteousness and deriding others for doing so at other times?

You'd think you can go back and read your own posts.

Me wrote:is better than

I already pointed out that you're ignoring comparatives. I didn't say it was good. I said it was better. But you seem to ignore a lot of things that don't suit your preconceptions.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:26 pm

Shofercia wrote:

Relevant:

Oh look its Shoft. Welp, I know I was right now! GG no re CM
Last edited by The East Marches II on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trumptonium
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Trumptonium » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:26 pm

The Haitians in the article are not exactly countering Trump's argument.

ԀW∩ɹ┴ ԀO┴S

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:26 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Relevant:

Oh look its Ivan. Welp, I know I was right now! GG no re CM

Name calling? What's this, kindergarten?

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:26 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:I already pointed out that you're ignoring comparatives. I didn't say it was good. I said it was better. But you seem to ignore a lot of things that don't suit your preconceptions.

I mean, if you want to go that way, sure, I guess 25 cents is worse than 7.25 cents in the same way drinking liquified shit is worse than drinking piss.

At least you won't catch a disease drinking piss.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:27 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Relevant:

Oh look its Shoft. Welp, I know I was right now! GG no re CM

Bwhahaha. You edited your post after being caught for name calling on NSG. Thanks Eastern Marches 2.0. I needed the laugh, and you certainly obliged!

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Oh look its Ivan. Welp, I know I was right now! GG no re CM

Rather if you show up on one side of the argument, one can be sure its no good for Uncle Sam :^)

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Claorica wrote:I'm sorry, I didn't know Haitian was a race.

Either way, THe focus should be on, I don't know helping haiti rebuild.

Honestly, I think we should make them a territory or sign a Free Association Compact so we can just send FEMA to help rebuild.

We occupied and practically annexed Haiti during the early 20th century because their country was so unstable. Even tried outright nation building with them during the occupation, it all failed in the end.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:30 pm

Shofercia wrote:

Rather if you show up on one side of the argument, one can be sure its no good for Uncle Sam :^)

I supported the War in Afghanistan, and opposed the War in Iraq, partly because it was going to draw resources away from Afghanistan. I support California's Proposition Process. But hey, according to you, one who first called me a name, and then edited the post to avoid name calling, (how sad is that?) those things must've been bad for America.

If you're going to engage in name calling, at least be man enough to support that. I doubt that anyone should engage in name calling, but first engaging in it, and then backtracking, that's just sad. And if all Americans were like that, now that would be really bad for America.
Last edited by Shofercia on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uxupox
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Uxupox » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:31 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

We occupied and practically annexed Haiti during the early 20th century because their country was so unstable. Even tried outright nation building with them during the occupation, it all failed in the end.

Shouldn't have rebelled from the French.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:31 pm

The East Marches II wrote:Oh look its Shoft. Welp, I know I was right now! GG no re CM

Broken clocks, twice a day, etc.
Soldati Senza Confini wrote:I mean, if you want to go that way, sure, I guess 25 cents is worse than 7.25 cents in the same way drinking liquified shit is worse than drinking piss.

At least you won't catch a disease drinking piss.

That's entirely true. And if I was in the desert and my only options were drinking my diarrhoeal shit or my own piss, you can bet I'd choose my own piss, as awful and miserable as that would be. And if you walked up and told me I couldn't drink piss because that wasn't good enough, but I could eat shit because that was awful, what kind of shithead would that make you? "Maybe someday you'll get water i dunno lol" really isn't good enough.
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:32 pm

Shofercia wrote:

I supported the War in Afghanistan, and opposed the War in Iraq, partly because it was going to draw resources away from Afghanistan. I support California's Proposition Process. But hey, according to you, one who first called me a name, and then edited the post to avoid name calling, (how sad is that?) those things must've been bad for America.

I use that as a nickname all the time. I didn't think it fit for that post, didn't give the right flow. I've never shied from calling you what you are. As for the rest, those are/were poor ideas. Ez pz.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General