NATION

PASSWORD

Trump administration bars Haitians from U.S visas

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:10 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:Clearly 7.25 an hour is enough to send back home. That's why people bitch about raising the minimum wage *nods*

When 'back home' is only slightly more than a dollar per day? Er, yes. You do realize that arguments around raising the minimum wage have to do with various expenses incurred over the long-term, like health insurance, transportation, etc etc? Or have you never survived on minimum wage before?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:11 pm

The Federation of Kendor wrote:
Luminesa wrote:You’re talking to someone who came from an immigrant family. I think he gets how that goes better than you.

Talking about immigrant family, my parents immigrated to the US back on 1997. They returned to their home country of Indonesia after I was born, along with me and my sister. And my family now have a better life. Also, they don't work as a fruit picker either (though you will call that an exception as my father went to a university before), with my mother coming from a village, and she worked in a chocolate factory.

Yea, my father came here in the 60s and was getting paid around 1.25 an hour. He just had the equivalent of today's high school abroad.

Of course, that's not what he makes now, but still. Minimum wage at 7.25 an hour doesn't cut it nowadays, and low-skill labor isn't even half as glamorous as it is portrayed to be for immigrant workers anymore with costs of living rising in the US.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:12 pm

Israeli Defense Force wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Random stupidity from trump that should be on the MAGA thread.

Not unexpected but still a dick move. It will damage relations with them and Haiti for almost no reason at all.

The benefits being a slight increase in jobs for Americans? Ok? Still not worth bulling another nation.

Somebody please think of the Haitians!

America still has the White Man's Burden and must aid the poor Caribbean nation! No one else can! Especially the Haitians themselves, apparently.

And we should randomly be dicks to a nation that needs help beacuse?

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:12 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
The East Marches II wrote:Thats absolutely not true, have you heard of them charging for room and board, food, water etc.?

No, I haven't. Source?
Their take home wage at the end of the day is much less than that. Don't kid yourself that the agricultural sorts pay the federal rate for the labor. Get a reality check. Thats why they want them here and that is supposedly why your sort promote this pro business stuff.

... or, and this is a crazy notion, it could be because there are regional demands for low-skill labor that even high wages won't lure enough workers already in the States to.

Shocking, I know.
So why not just legalize slavery?

You can't fool me TEM, all these weak-tea arguments about foreign labor are just to get slavery legalized. That's been your goal from the start. :p

This is a general proofadoodledoo for all agricultural laborers

If they were working 40 hours a week, they ought to be making more than $12-$15k, rough math says it should be $16k. As for the room and board stuff, thats what they do here in farm country :^)

Slavery fixes all those problems. You want a cheap product and labor, plus none of the worry about bringing them back each year or labor shortages. No political fights on immigration either! Ez pz.

Israeli Defense Force
Envoy

Founded: Nov 15, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Israeli Defense Force » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:12 pm

Vassenor wrote:
How does you feeling challenged by my observation of a lack of evidence being presented by anti-Trumpeters, attempting to be smarmy by demanding evidence from me, and then being shown up while reinforcing my argument do anything except support my case? If you have anything solid to debate besides semantics over your show, please move on to them. As amusing as this is, well it's really not much of anything.

So you're not going to back up your accusations then. Got it.

Haha, dude I'm the only one to provide any back up to anything in our back-and-forth. If you need to convince yourself otherwise, well that seems to be something you've made a lifestyle of.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:12 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:

America still has the White Man's Burden and must aid the poor Caribbean nation! No one else can! Especially the Haitians themselves, apparently.

Because we don’t need any more immigrants?
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:13 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:Clearly 7.25 an hour is enough to send back home. That's why people bitch about raising the minimum wage *nods*

When 'back home' is only slightly more than a dollar per day? Er, yes. You do realize that arguments around raising the minimum wage have to do with various expenses incurred over the long-term, like health insurance, transportation, etc etc? Or have you never survived on minimum wage before?

TIL 7.25 an hour (which they don't even get to keep all of it) is a panacea of "better life" for people eating shit in Haiti.

You're so thoughtful /s
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:13 pm

Vassenor wrote:
So you're not going to back up your accusations then. Got it.

Haha, dude I'm the only one to provide any back up to anything in our back-and-forth. If you need to convince yourself otherwise, well that seems to be something you've made a lifestyle of.

So when did I call Trump a racist like you claimed?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:14 pm

The East Marches II wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:No, I haven't. Source?

... or, and this is a crazy notion, it could be because there are regional demands for low-skill labor that even high wages won't lure enough workers already in the States to.

Shocking, I know.

You can't fool me TEM, all these weak-tea arguments about foreign labor are just to get slavery legalized. That's been your goal from the start. :p

If they were working 40 hours a week, they ought to be making more than $12-$15k, rough math says it should be $16k. As for the room and board stuff, thats what they do here in farm country :^)

Slavery fixes all those problems. You want a cheap product and labor, plus none of the worry about bringing them back each year or labor shortages. No political fights on immigration either! Ez pz.

I vote that we inslave Turks first. I could use a TEM to clean my house
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:14 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:TIL 7.25 an hour is a panacea of "better life" for people eating shit in Haiti.

You're so thoughtful /s

It's a bandage on a gaping wound that requires we do nothing but not act like assholes to Haitians more than we act towards our own people. How fucking terrible.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Israeli Defense Force
Envoy

Postby Israeli Defense Force » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:15 pm

Because why should US resources be put towards it at all? Politics and policies should be more cleverly thought out and not based on emotions. If the Haitians can't take care of themselves, they bring nothing beneficial to your country. If you're going to seek immigrants, seek better ones. Let them help themselves. It's not the US's job to go around playing police or nanny to the nations of the world.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:16 pm

Thermodolia wrote:

I vote that we inslave Turks first. I could use a TEM to clean my house

You don't want Turks as house cleaners, I can assure you they have trouble with them. I could sell you a sentry Turk, they are fine guard humans.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:16 pm

The East Marches II wrote:This is a general proofadoodledoo for all agricultural laborers

Well, that's horrifying.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:17 pm

Thermodolia wrote:I vote that we inslave Turks first. I could use a TEM to clean my house

You don't want Turks as house cleaners, I can assure you they have trouble with them. I could sell you a sentry Turk, they are fine guard humans.

Nah I need TEM to clean my outhouse
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Israeli Defense Force
Envoy

Postby Israeli Defense Force » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:17 pm

Vassenor wrote:

If you don't think he's a racist, why are you even talking to me? My post rather obviously included that as a subject. So if you think he's a racist, respond to me and explain what evidence you have. If you don't, then I don't care because I wasn't addressing my post to you. And in that case, kudos for being smart enough to not call him a racist. :p
Last edited by Israeli Defense Force on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:18 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:TIL 7.25 an hour is a panacea of "better life" for people eating shit in Haiti.

You're so thoughtful /s

It's a bandage on a gaping wound that requires we do nothing but not act like assholes to Haitians more than we act towards our own people. How fucking terrible.

First off, you're forgetting who's in office for 3 more years.

Secondly, it requires far more than "muh 7.25 pre-tax".

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:19 pm

Thermodolia wrote:

Because we don’t need any more immigrants?

Ok?

Could we send some aid to them for them to get better jobs in there own country then?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:20 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:First off, you're forgetting who's in office for 3 more years.

I'm sorry, did I? Do you not remember what the fucking thread is about? The man who wants to cut this program of not acting like assholes?

What, not being an asshole? At least no more than we are to our own? Not really.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:20 pm

Thermodolia wrote:

Nah I need TEM to clean my outhouse

I can't meme any further without fear of ban, you win this time

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:20 pm

Vassenor wrote:

If you don't think he's a racist, why are you even talking to me? My post rather obviously included that as a subject. So if you think he's a racist, respond to me and explain what evidence you have. If you don't, then I don't care because I wasn't addressing my post to you. And in that case, kudos for being smart enough to not call him a racist. :p

So by calling you out for being insistent on arguments backed with "real evidence" while providing no evidence at all in support of your own arguments I am implicitly calling Trump a racist? :eyebrow:
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Israeli Defense Force
Envoy

Postby Israeli Defense Force » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:21 pm

Thermodolia wrote:Because we don’t need any more immigrants?

Ok?

Could we send some aid to them for them to get better jobs in there own country then?

Haitians have been living off aid for decades. At some point they need to take responsibility for their own country and stop leeching off others.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:22 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Ok?

Haitians have been living off aid for decades. At some point they need to take responsibility for their own country and stop leeching off others.

Ah, the "Haitians are just lazy leeches taking all our jobs" argument. Classic. I bet you don't even see the irony.

Trumptonium
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumptonium » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:23 pm

Not opening your doors to every tom dick and harry isn't "being a dick" to anybody
Pro: Things and people I like
Anti: Things and people I dislike

https://www.bolsonaro.com.br/

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:23 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:First off, you're forgetting who's in office for 3 more years.

I'm sorry, did I? Do you not remember what the fucking thread is about? The man who wants to cut this program of not acting like assholes?

What, not being an asshole? At least no more than we are to our own? Not really.

I do remember what the thread is about, the question is, do you? Do you remember that the thread is about Trump, and as a result there's nothing you can do about it but think on how things could be better for them in the long run.

Also, "not being an asshole" can be defined in many ways, none of which I think are "we should pay our immigrant workers better", since you apparently just told me not a few pages back that 7.25 bucks an hour which you don't even get to keep all of it is better than eating shit in Haiti, which really, it shows the nobility in you. It truly does. No, seriously, they should award you a fucking Nobel prize for being so thoughtful about immigrants.

Israeli Defense Force
Envoy

Postby Israeli Defense Force » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:23 pm

Vassenor wrote:

So by calling you out for being insistent on arguments backed with "real evidence" while providing no evidence at all in support of your own arguments I am implicitly calling Trump a racist? :eyebrow:

Do you get to be a postmaster by going in circles and not saying anything? :lol:
Simply put, reread my last post and simply answer the question. We can go from there. I'm not interested in 20,000 posts of circular arguments and semantics. :hug:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General