NATION

PASSWORD

Should We Change The Date of Australia Day?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Australia Day...

Is Invasion Day. Change the date
10%
Is on 26 January and that's the way it should be
73%
Other (explain)
17%

Total votes : 60

Kramania
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kramania » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:54 am

Arlenton wrote:Don't change it. Celebrate Australia coming out of the stone age.

Harsh, but true.
Watching my sanity slip away in my dreams

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:07 am

Kramania wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:

I never said anything about a unified Australia, but why exactly where they not countries? What did they do differently than the Aztecs or the Native North Americans?

You cannot be a society of nomadic hunter-gatherers and be a country.

Why not?

Arlenton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:26 am

Kramania wrote:You cannot be a society of nomadic hunter-gatherers and be a country.

Why not?

I guess you could.

But how would such a country defend itself?

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:35 am

Arlenton wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Why not?

I guess you could.

A fucking ocean?
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Kramania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kramania » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:38 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Arlenton wrote:I guess you could.

A fucking ocean?

Didn't do much to stop the Brits.

Kramania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kramania » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:39 am

Kramania wrote:You cannot be a society of nomadic hunter-gatherers and be a country.

Why not?

A country has to occupy a territory, whereas hunter-gatherers are always moving.

Arlenton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:40 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Arlenton wrote:I guess you could.

A fucking ocean?

Uhhhh

Boats exist.
Last edited by Arlenton on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:44 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Every year, as the event draws nearer and nearer, we are reminded of the "Invasion Day" argument about celebrating our nation. For those of you who don't know, 26 January is the date that celebrates Captain James Cook's landing in Australia. Some claim that celebrating Australia Day on Jan 26 is racist and celebrates the begining of the genocide against Aboriginal Australians. Some claim that 26 Jan should see the flags fly at half mast to symbolise mourning. Others claim that 26 Jan celebrates the modern nation of Australia, and we should put the atrocities of the past behind us, and celebrate what's goid about our modern, united Australia

Where do you stand on the issue? Should we change the date? Should it be a day of mourning? I'm pretty undecided on the issue. I can see the merits of both sides of the debate, and am yet to form my own opinion. Where do you stand?

If Australia celebrating Captain Cook's arrival was MEANT to celebrate genocide, then maybe. But I think not. Australia has adopted policies that are intended to bring about peaceful removal of racist past policies. This is the reality: there would be no nation of Australia without Captain Cook. No great nation has been formed without war, violence and at ties atrocities by the standards of the present day. I've never seen any depiction of Australian history that does not admit that Aboriginal people were treated really badly before. If people want to expunge their sense of national guilt, they ought to go and volunteer in ways that improve the lives of Aboriginal people.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:55 pm

Australia, as we know it today, didn't exist as a single country until 1 Jan 1901. Before then it was 6 individual colonises (Western Australia, New South Wales, Queensland, Tasmania, South Australia and Victoria) which were their own individual countries) and before that it was hundreds of individual, indipendant Aboriginal countries
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:03 pm

Kramania wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Why not?

A country has to occupy a territory, whereas hunter-gatherers are always moving.

Yeah sorry, you can't use the terra nullis argument. The "aboriginal people" lived on Australia for thousands of years.

"It's the constitution, it's the vibe, its Mabo"
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dazchan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:04 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:For those of you who don't know, 26 January is the date that celebrates Captain James Cook's landing in Australia.

Indo 2 wrote:Australia Day celebrates Captain Cook finding Australia on the 26th. He didnt find it on the 25th, nor the 27th.

No, it doesn't. January 26 was the arrival of the First Fleet at Sydney Cove, beginning the colony of New South Wales. It's also only been a public holiday since 1994, as the date holds no historical significance in other states; prior to that, they celebrated their own foundation days.

Ifreann wrote:I would have expected Australia Day to be when Australia became a country, not when Europeans first found the place.

That would be January 1, which is already a public holiday.

I personally favour May 27, which is the date of the referendum that allowed Aboriginals to be recognised as Australian citizens, as the date for Australia Day.

EDIT: Corrected an incorrect date.
Last edited by Dazchan on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:12 pm

New Edom wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Every year, as the event draws nearer and nearer, we are reminded of the "Invasion Day" argument about celebrating our nation. For those of you who don't know, 26 January is the date that celebrates Captain James Cook's landing in Australia. Some claim that celebrating Australia Day on Jan 26 is racist and celebrates the begining of the genocide against Aboriginal Australians. Some claim that 26 Jan should see the flags fly at half mast to symbolise mourning. Others claim that 26 Jan celebrates the modern nation of Australia, and we should put the atrocities of the past behind us, and celebrate what's goid about our modern, united Australia

Where do you stand on the issue? Should we change the date? Should it be a day of mourning? I'm pretty undecided on the issue. I can see the merits of both sides of the debate, and am yet to form my own opinion. Where do you stand?

If Australia celebrating Captain Cook's arrival was MEANT to celebrate genocide, then maybe. But I think not. Australia has adopted policies that are intended to bring about peaceful removal of racist past policies. This is the reality: there would be no nation of Australia without Captain Cook. No great nation has been formed without war, violence and at ties atrocities by the standards of the present day. I've never seen any depiction of Australian history that does not admit that Aboriginal people were treated really badly before. If people want to expunge their sense of national guilt, they ought to go and volunteer in ways that improve the lives of Aboriginal people.

I would be in favour of moving Australia day to the 27th May. This was the date in 1967 where a referendum was called to recognise Aboriginals as citizens. It's the keystone of Australia as a country growing in maturity and one worthy to be celebrated. Obviously, it's important to recognise the founding of Australia's first colony - the birth of Modern Australia but I think it's more important to recognise the growing maturity and reconciliation of a nation. The 26th of January is a rather arbitrary achievement but the 27th of May, an effort and wisdom worth commemorating.

We could have also celebrate the 2 dates (more holidays!!!) but the title of Australia day seems more appropriate for the 27th of May rather than the 26th of January.
Last edited by The Conez Imperium on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donut section

Founded:

Postby Donut section » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:18 pm

Leave it where it is. Celebrate 27th of may separately.

While all people should be treated equally by the state, aboriginals achieved nothing before and very little after that has contributed to the idea of Australia.

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Donut section wrote:Leave it where it is. Celebrate 27th of may separately.

While all people should be treated equally by the state, aboriginals achieved nothing before and very little after that has contributed to the idea of Australia.

The idea of Australia at that time was a "white country". I don't see how Aboriginals could contribute to that idea.

Donut section

Founded:

Postby Donut section » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:29 pm

The Conez Imperium wrote:
Donut section wrote:Leave it where it is. Celebrate 27th of may separately.

The idea of Australia at that time was a "white country". I don't see how Aboriginals could contribute to that idea.

Writing would have been nice. They got some cool stories, would have been great to read them.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:34 pm

New Edom wrote:

I would be in favour of moving Australia day to the 27th May. This was the date in 1967 where a referendum was called to recognise Aboriginals as citizens. It's the keystone of Australia as a country growing in maturity and one worthy to be celebrated. Obviously, it's important to recognise the founding of Australia's first colony - the birth of Modern Australia but I think it's more important to recognise the growing maturity and reconciliation of a nation. The 26th of January is a rather arbitrary achievement but the 27th of May, an effort and wisdom worth commemorating.

We could have also celebrate the 2 dates (more holidays!!!) but the title of Australia day seems more appropriate for the 27th of May rather than the 26th of January.

Why not celebrate both days then, as you say, and just put more emphasis on the May date to make it more recognizable?
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:43 pm

New Edom wrote:

Why not celebrate both days then, as you say, and just put more emphasis on the May date to make it more recognizable?

If I was prime minister, I would happily forward that. Alas, there is no real political willpower (except the greens) to make that a reality. Most of the current argument is really derisive with people telling each other what to think rather than listening to each other and compromising.

Donut section

Founded:

Postby Donut section » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:50 pm

New Edom wrote:

If I was prime minister, I would happily forward that. Alas, there is no real political willpower (except the greens) to make that a reality. Most of the current argument is really derisive with people telling each other what to think rather than listening to each other and compromising.

I would support this, if it was platformed by anyone but the greens.

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:54 pm

Donut section wrote:

Writing would have been nice. They got some cool stories, would have been great to read them.

Although I'm being hypocritical, I caution you in judging whole cultures by your own standards. Otherwise, we'd all be saying our civilisation is the best and that's not an objective measure. Real life isn't a game of civilisation where since Aboriginals didn't discover pottery they're uncivilised or worthless.

Moreover, various articles online highlight how the conditions for agriculture were not present in Australia thereby making it difficult for writing/established communities to thrive. Australian soil is incredibly poor, we lack any native domestic animal and we have no staple crop like corn/rice or wheat.

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dazchan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:01 pm

Some background reading for the uninformed: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... 0j0w9.html

Some interesting statistics, particularly around people not actually knowing what they're "celebrating" on Australia Day.
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Donut section

Founded:

Postby Donut section » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:05 pm

Donut section wrote:

Although I'm being hypocritical, I caution you in judging whole cultures by your own standards. Otherwise, we'd all be saying our civilisation is the best and that's not an objective measure. Real life isn't a game of civilisation where since Aboriginals didn't discover pottery they're uncivilised or worthless.

Moreover, various articles online highlight how the conditions for agriculture were not present in Australia thereby making it difficult for writing/established communities to thrive. Australian soil is incredibly poor, we lack any native domestic animal and we have no staple crop like corn/rice or wheat.

At this stage I'm more of the mind that choice is more important than tradition when it comes to culture. And not choosing the most successful parts of the most successful culture is around the westboro baptist church's choice on religion.

I'm not saying that they are worthless, my DNA test would make me a massive hypocrite since I have some heritage there. I am saying that it would be nice if they had achieved more. Not only for the stories but because progress has a sort of weight.

They might have achieved more if they hadn't hunted the mega fauna to extinction and domesticated it instead.

Kannadrickium
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kannadrickium » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:12 pm

Australia Day should be on 16 February.

It's the birthday of Cyril Percy Callister, who is the inventor of Vegemite, which is the most Australian thing ever.
ANNA KENDRICK IS THE MOST AWESOMEST PERSON IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE
Embassy Program: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=429543
Los Anna International Airport Storefront: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=430158

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:25 pm

In regards to the people object to it in regards to it’s connection to the genocide of the aboriginals, I don’t see how changing the date makes it better.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:27 pm

Kannadrickium wrote:Australia Day should be on 16 February.

It's the birthday of Cyril Percy Callister, who is the inventor of Vegemite, which is the most Australian thing ever.

I can think of one better.
“Kangaroo Boxing”
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Wansul
Envoy

Founded: Mar 10, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Wansul » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:29 pm

Trumptonium wrote:I wish my country had the same fucking problems as Australia if this is considered front page priority.

The other issue there is wildlife and heat so...
Soon the sun will set- is that prophecy? No, it's merely an assertion of faith in the consistency of events.

Remember this Earth. Never forget her, but — never come back. If you come back, you might meet the Archangel at the east end of Earth, guarding her passes with a sword of flame. Space is your home hereafter. It’s a lonelier desert than ours.

By the -anarchist-neoliberal spirit I mean that deeply human sentiment, which aims at the good of all, freedom and justice for all, solidarity and love among the people;

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General