NATION

PASSWORD

Chrysler moving production of trucks from Mexico to Detroit

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is this a win for Donald Trump?

Yes
66%
No
34%

Total votes : 91

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:37 pm

Internationalist Bastard wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Not for at least 100 years, 50 is pushing it. Again we already had this conversation so I’m not going to repeat myself

OK, and I will remain where I am. Skeptical

Nothing wrong with that
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Internationalist Bastard wrote:
Grand Britannia wrote:TIL adding jobs is less jobs.

I'm just wondering if this will create as many jobs as they claim. If the world is gonna beat me into being a cynic don't be surprised that I'm a cynic

The amount of workers needed to man a factory is determined before the factory is even constructed.

So yes, if they said they need 2,000, it's likely because they've determined that's what will take to man their operations.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:54 pm

Grand Britannia wrote:
Internationalist Bastard wrote:I'm just wondering if this will create as many jobs as they claim. If the world is gonna beat me into being a cynic don't be surprised that I'm a cynic

The amount of workers needed to man a factory is determined before the factory is even constructed.

So yes, if they said they need 2,000, it's likely because they've determined that's what will take to man their operations.

Don't know for how long it will stay that way.

I'm just going to be skeptical of this.

Improved werpland
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Improved werpland » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:15 pm

Trumptonium wrote:Economically speaking, he's by far the most successful President the US had since the war. There hasn't been a boom like this for a long time. Of course it won't be sustained, but for now...

No this unpopular tax reform is the Republicans' fault, not Trump's. He jeapardized the chances and popularity of "Cut Cut Cut" by merely being president at the time it was written and passed.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:29 pm

Soldati Senza Confini wrote:
Telconi wrote:
And you know this because???

I mean, Comcast is easy. Would YOU work for Comcast?

i worked for and with at&t, and it was not a bad place. i did see the last few years of bell labs being bell labs, and that was a very impressive place to be.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:31 pm

Improved werpland wrote:
Trumptonium wrote:Economically speaking, he's by far the most successful President the US had since the war. There hasn't been a boom like this for a long time. Of course it won't be sustained, but for now...

No this unpopular tax reform is the Republicans' fault, not Trump's. He jeapardized the chances and popularity of "Cut Cut Cut" by merely being president at the time it was written and passed.

i am up 5 grand by the tax calculators in the papers, and using that money for the monthly car payment, i bought a car this week.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Improved werpland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Improved werpland » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:49 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Improved werpland wrote:No this unpopular tax reform is the Republicans' fault, not Trump's. He jeapardized the chances and popularity of "Cut Cut Cut" by merely being president at the time it was written and passed.

i am up 5 grand by the tax calculators in the papers, and using that money for the monthly car payment, i bought a car this week.

Trump inherited an economy which was already picking up and has done relatively little to regulate or spurn it. I'm not saying it's all thanks to Obama either, but Trump himself had no hand in this.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:59 pm

Improved werpland wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:i am up 5 grand by the tax calculators in the papers, and using that money for the monthly car payment, i bought a car this week.

Trump inherited an economy which was already picking up and has done relatively little to regulate or spurn it. I'm not saying it's all thanks to Obama either, but Trump himself had no hand in this.

obama didnt do the tax cut that put 5 grand in my pocket. i bought the car based on my changed tax situation, the money i am going to save in taxes, makes the purchase an easy decision. thats a result of tax policy, thats all on trump.

after the crash, business's recover, thats how the business cycle works, we give to much credit to politics for natural business cycles, and the things (like the mortgage crises that business does)

also the market didnt pick up till trump was elected. (whether this is a bubble or not is a topic for a different thread).

back to topic: this is a smart move by chrysler which these days is an italian company
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Improved werpland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Improved werpland » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:53 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Improved werpland wrote:Trump inherited an economy which was already picking up and has done relatively little to regulate or spurn it. I'm not saying it's all thanks to Obama either, but Trump himself had no hand in this.

obama didnt do the tax cut that put 5 grand in my pocket. i bought the car based on my changed tax situation, the money i am going to save in taxes, makes the purchase an easy decision. thats a result of tax policy, thats all on trump.

after the crash, business's recover, thats how the business cycle works, we give to much credit to politics for natural business cycles, and the things (like the mortgage crises that business does)

also the market didnt pick up till trump was elected. (whether this is a bubble or not is a topic for a different thread).

back to topic: this is a smart move by chrysler which these days is an italian company

My bad, I hadn't bothered to read what you wrote. Back to the former post.

The Republicans would have done this as long as any of their kind had been elected. They made the bill and passed it, only a small part of that process relied on him. More importantly, he has no ideology or genuine political beliefs. The tax bill, being such a heavily ideologically-based piece of legislation, cannot be blamed on Trump. It is on the Republicans, not him.
Last edited by Improved werpland on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:08 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Improved werpland wrote:No this unpopular tax reform is the Republicans' fault, not Trump's. He jeapardized the chances and popularity of "Cut Cut Cut" by merely being president at the time it was written and passed.

You bought a car based on the new paper calculators?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:08 pm

Trumptonium wrote:In what is possibly the first economic effect of Trump's tax cut legislation for corporations, Fiat-Chrysler Group has officially announced that they will be moving the production of the RAM trucks (formerly Dodge Ram series) from Mexico to Detroit.

The news follows an earlier announcement yesterday that Toyota and Mazda will be investing $1.6 billion to begin a joint venture in constructing an auto assembly plant in Alabama, but have not related their decision to the tax cut. Plans were announced after the election but before any talks of a tax cut.

The move will be accompanied by a $1.4 billion investment and 2500 extra jobs in Detroit. The Warren Assembly Plant will begin production of heavy-duty trucks from 2020. The Mexican plant will be 'repurposed', although it is unknown for what future commercial production. Staff have been notified of job losses in Mexico, but it is understood that there will likely be a new light duty truck production for a new model, yet unnamed and unseen.

FCA said it also would make a special bonus payment of $2,000 to about 60,000 FCA hourly and salaried employees in the United States totaling about $120 million. The CEO said this is because "the new [tax cut] bill allows us to share our savings with you [employees]"

Fiat Chrysler Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne a year ago raised the possibility that the automaker would move production of its heavy-duty pickups to the United States, saying U.S. tax and trade policy would influence the decision. If the United States exits NAFTA, it could mean that automakers would pay a 25 percent duty on pickup trucks assembled in Mexico and shipped to the United States. About 90 percent of the Ram heavy-duty pickups made at Fiat Chrysler’s Saltillo plant in Mexico are sold in the United States or Canada, company officials said.

Vice President Mike Pence praised Fiat Chrysler’s announcement. ”Manufacturing is back. Great announcement. Proof that this admin’s AMERICA FIRST policies are WORKING!” Pence said in a Twitter posting.

The Italian-American manufacturer is basking in high share gains as it finishes the second week of 2018 with a 21% growth.
(Image)

What you happened to miss from the Reuters article is that the Warren Assembly Plant already produces the Dodge Ram and that the factory in Mexico will be used for global FCA products. Chances are this new commercial vehicle will likely be Mexican production of the Strada, which is currently sold in Mexico as the Ram 700. Potentially it could also be another model for the US/Canada market given the growth of the light pickup market.

With the slew of companies announcing several positive changes to their governance, employee compensation/standards or community relations, it seems like the usual fears by anti-business Democrats

Most of these decisions by companies regarding extending paid maternity leave are what Democrats want anyway. However the Democrats want said laws enshrined at a federal level.

Most importantly, do you attribute this as a win for the Trump administration?

We'll wait and see.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:48 am

Improved werpland wrote:

Trump allowed it to happen which gives him some responsibility for the tax reform.
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:21 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:i am up 5 grand by the tax calculators in the papers, and using that money for the monthly car payment, i bought a car this week.

You bought a car based on the new paper calculators?

it made the decision eaiser, my own rough calculations showed a similar result.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:29 pm

Yes!

YEEEEEEEEESSSSS! (throws fists into the air, jumping around)

Trump! Long live Trump!

Good job Trump!

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:15 am

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:Detroit was a mistake, Japan's better at automotive engineering anyway.

Tell that to the Ford Panther Platform cars, Ford Mustang GT, GM's 3800 V6, Mopar's slant-6 and A-Series V8, TorqueFlite transmission, or any American rustproofing, or anybody who in the 70s and 80s noticed that for the price of a fullsize Chevy Impala or Ford LTD they can only have a compact Honda Accord or Toyota Corona, or any of old trucks still in normal service after 40+ years.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General