NATION

PASSWORD

Trump MAGAThread XI: Button, Button, Who's Got The Button?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Change This To An "American Politics" Thread?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes : 214

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:07 pm

Too bad people still treat Trump brand Bag Of Shit like they're Pokemon merchandise even though Donnie's history is out in the open unlike his tax returns.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be proof of a pan-Islamic plot and Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of mentally ill lone wolves who do not represent their professed belief system at all.
The probability of someone secretly participating in homosexual acts is directly proportional to the frequency and loudness of their publicly professed disapproval and/or disgust for homosexuality.
If Donald Trump accuses an individual of malfeasance without evidence, it is almost a certainty either he or someone associated with him has in fact committed that very same malfeasance to a greater degree.

New Flag Courtesy of The Realist Polities

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:11 pm

Salandriagado wrote:It might have done, if Walmart actually paid any taxes at all.

Which they do.
National Syndicalist
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” - Julius Evola
Endorsing Greg "Grab 'em by the Neck" Gianforte and Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh for 2020

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Oil exporting People wrote:Walmart is giving its workers a pay raise and a cash bonus of up to $1,000:

- Walmart says it is raising hourly pay to $11 from $9 as a result of the new US tax law.
- It says it's also offering employees a one-time cash bonus of up to $1,000, expanded maternity and parental-leave benefits, and assistance with adoption expenses.
- The company says the changes will affect more than 1 million of its US employees.

Walmart is raising starting wages for hourly employees to $11 and offering a one-time cash bonus of up to $1,000, the company said Thursday.

The retailer also said it was expanding maternity and parental-leave benefits, as well as creating a new benefit to assist with adoption expenses.

Walmart's starting pay is now $9 for all hourly employees, or $10 for those who completed a training program.

The changes will take effect in February and affect more than 1 million US Walmart employees, the company said.

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon said the changes were a direct result of the new tax law.

"We are early in the stages of assessing the opportunities tax reform creates for us to invest in our customers and associates and to further strengthen our business, all of which should benefit our shareholders," McMillon said in a statement. "However, some guiding themes are clear and consistent with how we’ve been investing — lower prices for customers, better wages and training for associates and investments in the future of our company, including in technology."

"Tax reform gives us the opportunity to be more competitive globally and to accelerate plans for the US," he added.

The cash bonus will go to employees who don't benefit from the new wage increases — meaning they are already paid more than $11 an hour. It will range from $200 to $1,000 depending on workers' length of employment with Walmart.

The new benefits include 10 weeks of paid maternity leave and six weeks of paid parental leave for full-time hourly associates. That benefit will also go to parents who adopt.

Additionally, Walmart says it will contribute $5,000 toward the cost of adoption for its workers.

I'm surprised no one is talking about this in the Trump thread, given it's a result of the tax law.

One time bonus is nice...sure not going to argue it. Now I don't have the numbers for them but it's tiny from what they are getting back from taxes. Basically, it's a publicity stunt.

As to the wage increase? They were already talking about it before the tax cuts were announced. A company doesn't simply increase wages. They are usually forced to.

The same is said for parental leave and adoption. There was talk before that and I would suggest they were forced to by competition.

CEO claims it was because of the tax cuts but I would say he is a liar and at best stretching the facts a great deal.

Is the CEO a trumpest?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:14 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:One time bonus is nice...sure not going to argue it. Now I don't have the numbers for them but it's tiny from what they are getting back from taxes. Basically, it's a publicity stunt.

As to the wage increase? They were already talking about it before the tax cuts were announced. A company doesn't simply increase wages. They are usually forced to.

The same is said for parental leave and adoption. There was talk before that and I would suggest they were forced to by competition.

CEO claims it was because of the tax cuts but I would say he is a liar and at best stretching the facts a great deal.

Is the CEO a trumpest?

So what evidence do you have then, besides logical fallacy?
National Syndicalist
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” - Julius Evola
Endorsing Greg "Grab 'em by the Neck" Gianforte and Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh for 2020

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:21 pm

Oil exporting People wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:One time bonus is nice...sure not going to argue it. Now I don't have the numbers for them but it's tiny from what they are getting back from taxes. Basically, it's a publicity stunt.

Is the CEO a trumpest?

So what evidence do you have then, besides logical fallacy?

*shrugs* Working for corporations and sitting in couple board rooms. Having been a President of a nonprofit with over 300 employees.

Can't decide where the CEO stands with trump. Has criticized him a couple times but then still sends money and has worked on a committee or two.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:28 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:*shrugs* Working for corporations and sitting in couple board rooms. Having been a President of a nonprofit with over 300 employees.

Can't decide where the CEO stands with trump. Has criticized him a couple times but then still sends money and has worked on a committee or two.

Anecdotal evidence is not evidence.
National Syndicalist

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:30 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:*shrugs* Working for corporations and sitting in couple board rooms. Having been a President of a nonprofit with over 300 employees.

*shrugs* me a President who was involved in a salary increase and you are.....what exactly? A trumpest sure but you really believe in Trickle down?

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:32 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

*shrugs* me a President who was involved in a salary increase and you are.....what exactly? A trumpest sure but you really believe in Trickle down?

Also assuming Wally World won't try to offset the increase or even implement it to begin with, or permanently for that matter.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be proof of a pan-Islamic plot and Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of mentally ill lone wolves who do not represent their professed belief system at all.
The probability of someone secretly participating in homosexual acts is directly proportional to the frequency and loudness of their publicly professed disapproval and/or disgust for homosexuality.
If Donald Trump accuses an individual of malfeasance without evidence, it is almost a certainty either he or someone associated with him has in fact committed that very same malfeasance to a greater degree.

New Flag Courtesy of The Realist Polities

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:35 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:*shrugs* me a President who was involved in a salary increase and you are.....what exactly?

Not making logical fallacies as you are, that's for sure.

A trumpest sure but you really believe in Trickle down?

It's not the best method, but it does work beyond any doubt and to claim otherwise is a lie:

Income tax cuts stimulate demand by putting more money into consumers' pockets. That's important because consumer spending drives 70 percent of economic growth. It then creates jobs when businesses ramp up production to meet higher demand. A study by the Congressional Budget Office found that the Bush tax cuts would create 4.6 jobs for every $1 million if extended into 2011-2012.

However, there is some debate over whether tax cuts for higher income families create as many jobs as tax cuts for low- and moderate-income families. The theory is that lower income families must spend the tax cuts, driving demand, while higher income families will save their tax cut. Furthermore, higher income family spending is less influenced by tax cuts because they families can maintain their spending by cutting into their savings, or getting loans or credit. Their tax cuts are more likely to be used to pay back loans.

Payroll tax cuts are one of the most cost-effective ways to increase jobs. According to the CBO, every $1 million in payroll tax cuts creates 13 new jobs. Payroll tax cuts create jobs in four ways. First, some companies use the savings to reduce prices. That increases demand, which necessitates hiring more workers.

Second, other companies raise wages to retain good workers, who would then spend more, increasing demand.

Third, some firms keep the tax savings, allowing them to buy more and increase demand. Fourth, companies that already had popular products would use the savings to hire more workers. This fourth method is the most cost-effective way to create jobs.

In fact, if Congress only gives payroll tax cuts for new hires, then every $1 million in payroll tax cuts creates 18 new jobs.(Source: "The Economic Outlook and Fiscal Policy Choices," Congressional Budget Office, September 28, 2010)

By the way, the most cost-effective way to increase jobs is not a tax cut at all. The CBO study found that extending unemployment benefits are the best way to boost economic growth. Benefits create jobs because the unemployed wind up spending every dollar they receive on essentials like as food, clothing and housing. Every $1 million in unemployment benefits creates 19 new jobs. A study by Economy.com found that every dollar spent on unemployment benefits stimulates $1.73 in economic demand. Although extended benefits cost taxpayers $10 billion every month, they generate $17.3 billion in economic growth, creating jobs and additional tax revenue.
National Syndicalist

Tesernia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 19, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tesernia » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:38 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:*shrugs* me a President who was involved in a salary increase and you are.....what exactly?

While we're making unprovable claims, I'm the reincarnation of Holy Roman Emperor Frederick Barbarossa and I'm currently taking swimming lessons so I don't get done in by the fucking river Saleph again.

The Black Forrest wrote:A trumpest sure but you really believe in Trickle down?

You're the one who insists that corporations are more likely to raise wages and offer additional benefits to their workers when they're actually facing competition (and thus, logically, have a smaller share of that market niche) in the field they aim to make a profit in, which would only make sense if there was a shortage of potential workers on the market, which is also not the case.

Do you really have the high ground when it comes to this line of argument?
NationStates' umpteenth dirty ex-leftist class traitor.
I left the Left when it turned Right. Now I'm going back to the Right because it's all that's Left.
This is Mefpan speaking.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:48 pm

Not making logical fallacies as you are, that's for sure.

*shrugs* Ok so you have no experience in that area.

A trumpest sure but you really believe in Trickle down?

It's not the best method, but it does work beyond any doubt and to claim otherwise is a lie:

Odd. For some reason the company security is blocking that link. Can't read it yet......
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:49 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:*shrugs* Ok so you have no experience in that area.

Again, this is a logical fallacy and not an argument. All the sarcasm in the world doesn't change that.

Odd. For some reason the company security is blocking that link. Can't read it yet......

Sure.
National Syndicalist

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:52 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:*shrugs* Ok so you have no experience in that area.

Again, this is a logical fallacy and not an argument. All the sarcasm in the world doesn't change that.

*shrugs* To quote Ash. "Whatever"

Sure.

They have a new security endeavor and it's been painful. My home connection should be able to get it.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:54 pm

The article only talks about payroll and income taxes, and also includes this gem:

By the way, the most cost-effective way to increase jobs is not a tax cut at all. The CBO study found that extending unemployment benefits are the best way to boost economic growth. Benefits create jobs because the unemployed wind up spending every dollar they receive on essentials like as food, clothing and housing. Every $1 million in unemployment benefits creates 19 new jobs. A study by Economy.com found that every dollar spent on unemployment benefits stimulates $1.73 in economic demand. Although extended benefits cost taxpayers $10 billion every month, they generate $17.3 billion in economic growth, creating jobs and additional tax revenue.

So not really a ringing endorsement of slashing corporation tax.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:54 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:*shrugs* To quote Ash. "Whatever"

You do realize this counts as a concession on this point, yes?

They have a new security endeavor and it's been painful. My home connection should be able to get it.

That I am willing to believe.
National Syndicalist

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:54 pm

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:56 pm

Vassenor wrote:The article only talks about payroll and income taxes

Which is literally trickle down, the cutting of high earner income taxes.

So not really a ringing endorsement of slashing corporation tax.

Hence why I said it's not the best method in the very line I linked it; that it does work, however, is beyond doubt.
National Syndicalist

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:56 pm

Combined with your flag that sounded ominous, upon further reading it appears he just said something impolitic, I was all excited.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:57 pm

Isn't he still importing Haitian workers to run his gilded golf courses?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:57 pm

Tesernia wrote:

While we're making unprovable claims, I'm the reincarnation of Holy Roman Emperor Frederick Barbarossa and I'm currently taking swimming lessons so I don't get done in by the fucking river Saleph again.

The Black Forrest wrote:A trumpest sure but you really believe in Trickle down?

You're the one who insists that corporations are more likely to raise wages and offer additional benefits to their workers when they're actually facing competition (and thus, logically, have a smaller share of that market niche) in the field they aim to make a profit in, which would only make sense if there was a shortage of potential workers on the market, which is also not the case.

Do you really have the high ground when it comes to this line of argument?

Yeah man, I'm the next in line to the throne of Liechtenstein. My dad is related to King George the V.

An adequate descriptor.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:57 pm

Is he really wrong though?
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:58 pm

> Implying anyone will care
> Implying they're not shitholes
National Syndicalist

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:58 pm

The East Marches II wrote:

Combined with your flag that sounded ominous, upon further reading it appears he just said something impolitic, I was all excited.

Definitely a stupid thing to say from his role. I'm more concerned about his policies than the stupid stuff he says, but you can bet that he'll be attacked for this, causing some bipartisan backlash and negative press coverage.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:58 pm

Vassenor wrote:

Isn't he still importing Haitian workers to run his gilded golf courses?

And getting Florida exempted from offshore drilling.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:59 pm

Washington Resistance Army wrote:

Is he really wrong though?

I just think that in his role, he should try, say being a little more professional, especially now.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General