NATION

PASSWORD

Race and IQ

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:22 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
HMS Barham wrote:Species is not a definite concept.

what the fuck lol

Taxonomy is a social construct. Seriously. Why are Neanderthals considered a separate species even though there is ample evidence that they interbred with modern humans?

Of course, pointing out that taxonomy is a social construct does NOT mean that human "races" should be considered separate species. I would actually argue that we define the human species too narrowly by excluding extinct races like Neanderthals.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Seangoli
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:31 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:what the fuck lol

Taxonomy is a social construct. Seriously. Why are Neanderthals considered a separate species even though there is ample evidence that they interbred with modern humans?

To expound on this, the concept of "Species" is not actually a natural trait of animals, but rather just a handy means of studying them and organizing them based on how people think they relate to one another. The reality is that nature isn't so pretty as to have animals separate into distinct genetic groups, and it can get pretty messy to determine exactly where to draw the line. This is even more complex in the fossil record than it is in the modern day (Which already doesn't play nicely), as you don't have living populations to draw from.

There are actual paleontologists and anthropologists who seriously consider and present the notion that many of the Human groups from Homo erectus forward should instead be labelled as Homo sapiens and various subspecies due to the ability to interbreed and behavioral similarities, as well as a lack of clearly defined delineations in the biology of the animals. While it is fairly easy to take an Erectus and a modern Human and see the difference, it become much murkier when you are presented with the whole picture and "chain" of Human evolution from that point forward, and couple it with behavioral evidence. While I don't necessarily ascribe to the notion nor the multi-regional coalescence theory that it relates to, I will say that there is some compelling evidence for this argument.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:45 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:what the fuck lol

Of course, pointing out that taxonomy is a social construct does NOT mean that human "races" should be considered separate species. I would actually argue that we define the human species too narrowly by excluding extinct races like Neanderthals.

As an aside, what do you think of the current position of coyotes in regards their relation to wolves?
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:47 pm

HMS Barham wrote:
Sovaal wrote:I’m not debating anything, I’m asking you about your position and your supporting evidence for it.

And I’ve personally seen enough human behavior on my part to find the idea that each race has any extreme behavioral differences uncompelling.

Denying the existence of extreme difference is a side-step. Here is measured IQ in the USA separated by race (oh dear I lied, you get a source for free...):

The distributions overlap almost entirely but that does not stop them being enormously different.

Furthermore the social environment we inhabit is very rarely composed of people selected at random. If you only spend major time with strangers at work or in public spaces like restaurants, you might only see people with 90+ IQs. That might lead you to assume that there are very few very dumb blacks out there. But there are: in fact they're a very large fraction of the total distribution of black IQs. It's just that they are not employable places you are likely to see them.

So is the difference depicted above extreme? Arguably not. It's still clearly socially important, quite plausibly the main cause in reality of most of the problems ascribed to racism (i.e. whites).

Uh huh. Well looks like I’m going a digging by my lonesome then.

Until then, I think it a fair assessment from your behavior that ‘fruitful’ conversations are impossible, at least with this subject, so good evening/night to you sir.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

The Widening Gyre
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Widening Gyre » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 pm

HMS Barham wrote:There are racial differences in bone density and blood glucose too.

There exist gradients in many different physiological factors along socioeconomic, environmental and population lines. Some are genetic, others epigenetic and others developmental. These gradients no not conform to racial categorizations.

HMS Barham wrote:If you want to assert that there is no such thing as intelligence because it is hard to measure, you have departed company with planet earth. If you want to argue that because intelligence is hard to measure we should assume it is exactly the same for everyone, even such a description is not enough to categorise your insanity.

I'm saying intelligence is qualitative. It is something we perceive in others, but is not a physical quality in the people we observe it in - in the same way as taste in music or food.

HMS Barham wrote:No I am not. My whole point is that the labelled colours (socially constructed) reflect an underlying physical reality (visible light has a continuous spectrum of possible wavelengths). In the same way, racial categories (socially constructed) reflect an underlying physical reality (races have coherent genetic differences).

They do not, though, as races are not valid phylogenetic groups.
Last edited by The Widening Gyre on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anarchist communist, deep ecologist and agrarianist sympathizer

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 pm

Sovaal wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

As an aside, what do you think of the current position of coyotes in regards their relation to wolves?

I haven't read up on it.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

The Widening Gyre
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Widening Gyre » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:19 pm

HMS Barham wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Wait, are you doing the whole separate species shtick now too? (Sorry, I know I said I'd butt out.)

Species is not a definite concept.

We have some pretty good definitions, though. Phylogenetically races do not cohere as clades (ie share a common ancestor). Consequently the classical Mayrian biological species concept doesn't fit either, since none of the 'races' are reproductively isolated. They don't fit the model of evolutionarily significant units, either. They are not geographically isolated, they do not universally hold novel pheno/genotypes derived as a result of the restriction of gene flow, they do not all share phenotypic traits which show signs of selection.
Last edited by The Widening Gyre on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
anarchist communist, deep ecologist and agrarianist sympathizer

Aggicificicerous
Minister

Founded: Apr 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aggicificicerous » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:13 am

HMS Barham wrote:
Denying the existence of extreme difference is a side-step. Here is measured IQ in the USA separated by race (oh dear I lied, you get a source for free...):

(Image)

The distributions overlap almost entirely but that does not stop them being enormously different.

This doesn't have a quantifiable y-axis. Hence, it is meaningless.

HMS Barham wrote:So is the difference depicted above extreme? Arguably not. It's still clearly socially important, quite plausibly the main cause in reality of most of the problems ascribed to racism (i.e. whites).

You can't make an argument either way because the graph doesn't say anything.
Last edited by Aggicificicerous on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:30 am

HMS Barham wrote:
Sovaal wrote:I’m not debating anything, I’m asking you about your position and your supporting evidence for it.

And I’ve personally seen enough human behavior on my part to find the idea that each race has any extreme behavioral differences uncompelling.

Furthermore the social environment we inhabit is very rarely composed of people selected at random. If you only spend major time with strangers at work or in public spaces like restaurants, you might only see people with 90+ IQs. That might lead you to assume that there are very few very dumb blacks out there. But there are: in fact they're a very large fraction of the total distribution of black IQs. It's just that they are not employable places you are likely to see them.

So is the difference depicted above extreme? Arguably not. It's still clearly socially important, quite plausibly the main cause in reality of most of the problems ascribed to racism (i.e. whites).

Meanwhile, in the world of actual research, you're just wrong.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:15 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
HMS Barham wrote:Denying the existence of extreme difference is a side-step. Here is measured IQ in the USA separated by race (oh dear I lied, you get a source for free...):

Well, that doesn't confirm his hypotheses, so it's obviously just libtard hippie """scientists""" ignoring the truth about race.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:21 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Sovaal wrote:As an aside, what do you think of the current position of coyotes in regards their relation to wolves?

I haven't read up on it.

Eh, just had that popped up in my head with the New England Coy-wolves and everything is all. But yes, it’s is hard to put neat and orderly boxes on natural phenomenon.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

HMS Barham
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Barham » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:56 pm

Sovaal wrote:
HMS Barham wrote:Denying the existence of extreme difference is a side-step. Here is measured IQ in the USA separated by race (oh dear I lied, you get a source for free...):

Uh huh. Well looks like I’m going a digging by my lonesome then.

Until then, I think it a fair assessment from your behavior that ‘fruitful’ conversations are impossible, at least with this subject, so good evening/night to you sir.

Huh? You got your data, and you got the citation, and the citation (the US federal government) is pretty much above reproach. You can't at that point declare victory for lack of sources :roll:
Pour la canaille: Faut la mitraille.

HMS Barham
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Barham » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:03 pm

The Widening Gyre wrote:
HMS Barham wrote:There are racial differences in bone density and blood glucose too.

There exist gradients in many different physiological factors along socioeconomic, environmental and population lines. Some are genetic, others epigenetic and others developmental. These gradients no not conform to racial categorizations.

Can you make your point more explicit? I can't parse "These gradients no not conform to racial categorizations.". This statement seems to have many possible meanings, some of which are true, some of which are false.

HMS Barham wrote:If you want to assert that there is no such thing as intelligence because it is hard to measure, you have departed company with planet earth. If you want to argue that because intelligence is hard to measure we should assume it is exactly the same for everyone, even such a description is not enough to categorise your insanity.

I'm saying intelligence is qualitative. It is something we perceive in others, but is not a physical quality in the people we observe it in - in the same way as taste in music or food.

My taste in food is measured by my revealed preferences for food when I am given a free choice. Similarly intelligence is measured by ability to perform mentally-loaded tasks when under pressure to do so. They're both physical things.

HMS Barham wrote:No I am not. My whole point is that the labelled colours (socially constructed) reflect an underlying physical reality (visible light has a continuous spectrum of possible wavelengths). In the same way, racial categories (socially constructed) reflect an underlying physical reality (races have coherent genetic differences).

They do not, though, as races are not valid phylogenetic groups.

Races clearly do correspond largely to independently evolving groups separated by geographical barriers. Even if they didn't, though, that would neither 1. make the socially constructed labels "invalid" nor 2. mean that those groups are all the same interchangeable.

HMS Barham
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Barham » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:04 pm

The Widening Gyre wrote:
HMS Barham wrote:Species is not a definite concept.

We have some pretty good definitions, though. Phylogenetically races do not cohere as clades (ie share a common ancestor). Consequently the classical Mayrian biological species concept doesn't fit either, since none of the 'races' are reproductively isolated. They don't fit the model of evolutionarily significant units, either. They are not geographically isolated, they do not universally hold novel pheno/genotypes derived as a result of the restriction of gene flow, they do not all share phenotypic traits which show signs of selection.

I don't think species, as it is used in either common speech or scientifically, is consistently defined. To say something is part of a species is much more a social statement than to say that someone is white. To say that blacks and whites are different species is primarily a political statement. It's not a statement I am making, but I can't say it's strictly false either - it's indefinite.

HMS Barham
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Barham » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:05 pm

Aggicificicerous wrote:
HMS Barham wrote:

(Image)

Rubbish.

HMS Barham
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Barham » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:25 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Well, that doesn't confirm his hypotheses, so it's obviously just libtard hippie """scientists""" ignoring the truth about race.

Ironically Unz Review is a far right blog. Chisala also isn't actually arguing that racial differences don't exist, rather than his own subgroup of blacks (Igbo) is racially superior to other blacks. Might be true.

The first paper is more interesting, though the data doesn't seem to support the conclusions. In table 5, they give the terminal outcomes for white, black, and mulatto (white mother) children, in which mulatto children significantly underperform white children on both the measures log(wage) and likelihood to be in full time employment. The only measure on which white and mulatto outcomes actually converge is likelihood to have finished college. But this is also the least meaningful: anyone can graduate from college at this point given enough social pressure.

The real result of this paper is that black dad-white mum mulattoes do worse than white dad-black mum mulattoes. Obvious explanation: black men are more attractive to white women than black women are to white men, so black fathers of mulatto children have higher quality white mates than black mothers of mulatto children.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:52 pm

HMS Barham wrote:
Aggicificicerous wrote:

Rubbish.

Have you ever taken a math class? A y-axis label is required, especially when you're making such a dubious claim as this one.
HMS Barham wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Well, that doesn't confirm his hypotheses, so it's obviously just libtard hippie """scientists""" ignoring the truth about race.

Ironically Unz Review is a far right blog. Chisala also isn't actually arguing that racial differences don't exist, rather than his own subgroup of blacks (Igbo) is racially superior to other blacks. Might be true.

The first paper is more interesting, though the data doesn't seem to support the conclusions. In table 5, they give the terminal outcomes for white, black, and mulatto (white mother) children, in which mulatto children significantly underperform white children on both the measures log(wage) and likelihood to be in full time employment. The only measure on which white and mulatto outcomes actually converge is likelihood to have finished college. But this is also the least meaningful: anyone can graduate from college at this point given enough social pressure.

The real result of this paper is that black dad-white mum mulattoes do worse than white dad-black mum mulattoes. Obvious explanation: black men are more attractive to white women than black women are to white men, so black fathers of mulatto children have higher quality white mates than black mothers of mulatto children.

Trying to check off every box on the "types of bigotry" list, eh? You're still completely ignoring the effects of social factors such as discrimination and being born into poverty.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

HMS Barham
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Barham » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:02 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
HMS Barham wrote:Rubbish.

Have you ever taken a math class? A y-axis label is required, especially when you're making such a dubious claim as this one.

Once or twice on the way to being awarded a PhD in physics. There is a y-axis label: the sum of the area under the two graphs is normalised to 1.0 Population of the United States. From this you could calculate numbers for the axis if you wanted but it would add no important information to the graph - presumably why it wasn't done.

HMS Barham wrote:Ironically Unz Review is a far right blog. Chisala also isn't actually arguing that racial differences don't exist, rather than his own subgroup of blacks (Igbo) is racially superior to other blacks. Might be true.

Trying to check off every box on the "types of bigotry" list, eh? You're still completely ignoring the effects of social factors such as discrimination and being born into poverty.

I'm not ignoring them. Or even disputing they are important (though I could). Maybe blacks suffer discrimination and have lower IQs than whites. I don't see what bearing it has on whether there are racial IQ differences.

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:19 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
HMS Barham wrote:Rubbish.

:highschool:
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:28 pm

Intelligence does not go down just because someone's skin gets darker.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:30 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Intelligence does not go down just because someone's skin gets darker.

Here's a list of nations by IQ.
National Syndicalist
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” - Julius Evola
Endorsing Greg "Grab 'em by the Neck" Gianforte and Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh for 2020

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:45 pm

Oil exporting People wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Intelligence does not go down just because someone's skin gets darker.

Here's a list of nations by IQ.

Nothing on that article indicates that intelligence is tied to the amount of melanin in ones skin, what it seems to indicate is that the countries with the most garbage education systems have a higher population with lower average intelligence.
Occasionally the Neo-American States
"Choke on the ashes of your hate."
Authoritarian leftist as a means to a libertarian socialist end. Civic nationalist and American patriot. Democracy is non-negotiable. Uniting humanity, fixing our planet and venturing out into the stars is the overarching goal. Jaded and broken yet I persist.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:52 pm

The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:

Nothing on that article indicates that intelligence is tied to the amount of melanin in ones skin, what it seems to indicate is that the countries with the most garbage education systems have a higher population with lower average intelligence.

On top of that, other factors besides bad education need to be put in, on top of the fact that IQ test are inaccurate ways to measure someone's intelligence
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:53 pm

The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Nothing on that article indicates that intelligence is tied to the amount of melanin in ones skin, what it seems to indicate is that the countries with the most garbage education systems have a higher population with lower average intelligence.

Before we proceed further, you do agree that the IQ levels shows that the darker populations of the world, irrelevant of the cause, have a lower IQ?
National Syndicalist
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” - Julius Evola
Endorsing Greg "Grab 'em by the Neck" Gianforte and Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh for 2020

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:57 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:On top of that, other factors besides bad education need to be put in, on top of the fact that IQ test are inaccurate ways to measure someone's intelligence

I'm going to address the education bit shortly, but your statement brings up a related point; so you would like to see alternative measures of intelligence as related to race, yes?
National Syndicalist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General