NATION

PASSWORD

Palm Springs removing racist trees

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Eibenland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Eibenland » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Kramania wrote:
In a previous Desert Sun report, residents of the neighborhood said the line of trees "remained a lasting remnant of the history of segregation in the city."

Don't call me a liar if you lack the capability to read.

They said that because the trees were depressing property values. I don't know why they didn't say anything earlier if the trees were such an issue though.
Puppet of Geilinor. Add 40,000 posts.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:37 pm

it is always amusing to stick it to the golf course users.

I hope the view of real humanity spoils their 19th hole duck confit.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:40 pm

I think it's pretty stupid to use trees for segregation in the first place.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Correnia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Correnia » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:41 pm

Ah, what is the country falling too. A bunch of pettiness over some damn tree's. For fucks sake people.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:15 am

Correnia wrote:Ah, what is the country falling too. A bunch of pettiness over some damn tree's. For fucks sake people.

People use "it'll lower my house price" as a justification for NIMBYism all the time. Why is this example suddenly proof that America is falling apart?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:44 am

I want the trees to stay.

Fuck property values. Everywhere. The rent is too damn high anyway. The whole idea that your house should be your nest egg is extremely flawed and favours the older generations :)

The solution to being hypocrite is just becoming more left :p
The Blaatschapen should resign

AquilaJordyn
Envoy

Founded: Nov 06, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby AquilaJordyn » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:26 am

I don't see whats odd about this. It isn't a tree they're mad about. Look up the reason they were planted: To segregate the predominantly black neighborhood from the golf course across the street, the fundamental reason they were erected was so white patrons didn't need to look at the black residents. I mean really. Someone actually against this doesn't get the power of a symbol. In an effort to forge peace, Pope Francis had the Israel Prime Minister & President of Palestine plant a tree. Why? The hope planting a tree would be the first motion towards coming together and forgiveness. Nations have returned Obelisks taken by Imperialism to Egypt, for the sake of renouncing Imperialism, and seeking closer friendship with Egypt. Do you know, that in ancient Rome, the worst thing you could do to a Roman Legion, was to take their Eagle-standard? it was literally a pole with an Eagle on it. But do you know that would've decimated their army quicker than killing their General? The Wailing Wall in Jerusalem is a powerful symbol of Jewish struggle since the Temple fell. What of the Cross? What of the American Flag, my Fellow Americans? Do you think you'd grab it to save it from the enemy? I would. I'm sure the Union Jack in Great Britain, or a host of other figures mean the same thing to others Symbols matter. If you grow up in them, living with them, you can't just ignore them. They're entirely meaningless on the level that a tree is just a tree. But you can't just say "Get over it, it doesn't mean that anymore." Humans are more complex than that. These trees were planted in the 60's. An entire generation has grown up under it. Seen it. Grandmothers have pointed at it to grandchildren saying "See that. We're not welcome. Don't go over there." Children have grown up, looking at a stand of trees, and known nothing but that they aren't welcome. The trees, for the people of this neighborhood, are racism personified. They don't just represent racism, they are a part of the racism they've experienced. Sure, they don't in essence mean anything racist, they're trees. Everyone knows in terms of botany that trees are actually anti-Semites and occasional misogynists. But of course this matters, it only serves as a barrier to reconciliation now, and removed, an opening to the table of brotherhood. Remove the trees, heal a city. It is literally an easy reparation-tax paid for the sake of unity. No one would argue against my saying Lynching is racist, the burning cross, or the N word. All three are meaningless in essence, but have gathered considerable clout in our collective mind. The trees are the same thing, but for a smaller group of people.

The complexity with racism in America is that often, the most painfully racist acts aren't said by a guy in a pillow case, but silently by a tree.
Last edited by AquilaJordyn on Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Overview Factbook|Emperor Vulcan saō Ðardanexia IX|Embassy Programme|Vis En Frites Seafood Restaurant Chain
|Intersectional Feminist|Environmentalist|White For Black Lives|Social Democrat|
Nationstates Stats & Policies are not Canon. The nation is called Syagros. Call the people Syagrots or Trojans.

Republican Corentia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Republican Corentia » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:39 am

People who are unironically mad at this are probably brainwashed, or they only read the headline. As people have probably said before me, these trees were planted specifically to segregate a black community and to raise the value of white property at the height of the civil rights era. The journalist/OP is probably the one who's a partisan hack here, taking the opportunity to further again trivialize the word "racist" and put the black community's worries into a box along with that of "SJWs" and the more outlandish BLM propositions.
Last edited by Republican Corentia on Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:20 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:I want the trees to stay.

Fuck property values. Everywhere. The rent is too damn high anyway. The whole idea that your house should be your nest egg is extremely flawed and favours the older generations :)

The solution to being hypocrite is just becoming more left :p

The idea that property is a speculative commodity and that raising it's value gives you some sort of right to dictate what other people do on their own property seems pretty common in white communities. I see no reason black people shouldn't be allowed a piece of the action. :p
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:27 pm

They planted the trees so golfers wouldn't have to see a black neighborhood and as a result residents of that neighborhood have no view of the golf course or the mountain range behind it damaging their property values. This isn't some crazy thing.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Chiggers
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Chiggers » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:32 pm

How can I sue the golf course I live next to for putting thick ponderosa pines in between my neighborhood and their course? I feel it's racial discrimination, as apposed to protecting the houses from stray golf balls and giving the course a nice aesthetic.

Edit: Oh, so it wasn't hysterical cries of racism, it was actual racism. This is why you read more than the headlines. I knew better, but still didn't bother anyway. I'll take this L and be on my way.
Last edited by Chiggers on Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General