NATION

PASSWORD

Roman History General Discussion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Objective historians tend to think the empire fell because Constantine embraced Christianity, though I think his banning of gladiator games and killing of one's slave what did it.

Gibbon's theory hasn't been accepted in mainstream historical circles for over a century and a half.

However, it might be that Gibbon identifies another symptom of the actual cause. The conversion might not have cause the downfall, but its historical position certainly cannot remove it from a conversation about the downfall.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:32 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:Yes, Nietszche used airtight reasoning and methodology in support if this thesis, which is why it has never been falsified

Since when are you a fan of the scientific method for discovering truth?

I am not, of course. Nietzsche is a noble religion.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Shikihara
Diplomat

Founded: May 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Shikihara » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:32 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote:I said there was a unified pagan tradition coming from Homer and Hesiod, which subsequently developed and to which various pseudo-Christian philosophical systems (neoplatonism under Julian's reign) were grafted. This mythology represents one of the oldest stages of the religion in literature.

Is there any reason to believe that Neoplatonism and other logos-based philosophies were "grafted" onto Homeric tradition and Hesiod's cosmogony? I think it's more likely that both developed from the indigenous Hellenic pagan beliefs of the time. I've not read much if anything on Hesiod, but Homer doesn't really add any major cosmological themes, or anything that didn't already exist. I also fail to understand why Neo-Platonism should be called "pseudo-Christian."
The New Sea Territory wrote:I think this is very much the opposite of what the lower class predisposition to Christianity and Plato's description of Socrates' teachings would lead me to believe.

Could you elaborate?
The New Sea Territory wrote:Certainly. Although Aristotle is writing already past the break from Homer by Plato. The pre-Socratics might have been logocentric in their own way, but not in the anti-Homeric sense Plato was (situating "aletheia" as outside history, outside the cave, while Homer's "a-letheia" retained an older meaning of the word Heidegger identifies as "unconcealment", characterized by King Alcinous's response to Odysseus's story, roughly "You speak with art but what you say is true").

Heraclitus believed that Homer deserved to be beaten, and that Hesiod lacked understanding. That seems much more extreme than what Plato wrote about Homer. Anaxagoras never made any statements about Homer that I'm aware of, but his pantheistic belief in nous already seemed a major split from Hesiod and Homer.
Hegel wrote:“Spirit certainly makes war upon itself - consumes its own existence; but in this very destruction it works up that existence into a new form, and each successive phase becomes in its turn a material, working on which it exalts itself to a new grade..”

Shikiharan Factbook
Lesbian, Environmentalist, (mostly) Social Democrat, Nationalist, and Japanophile.

Mutz
Attaché

Founded: Oct 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Mutz » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:54 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:Not really true across the board. Ares in Greece, for instance, was hated outside of Sparta. And while pagans were patriarchal, unlike Christians they had female clergy and deities.

No he wasn't. He was worshipped mainly in northern Greece and had a quite prominently placed temple in Athens. Not very well liked? Sure. Hated? That would be a highly anachronistic view. He also had no particular importance for the Spartans. Their patron deity was Athena, with a side-serving of Apollo, like a dozen other poleis.

Christianity could well be argued to have (had) female deities, or at least deity-ish concepts. Be it Mary as Mater Dei or the rest of the host of female saints.

The New Sea Territory wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Gibbon's theory hasn't been accepted in mainstream historical circles for over a century and a half.

However, it might be that Gibbon identifies another symptom of the actual cause. The conversion might not have cause the downfall, but its historical position certainly cannot remove it from a conversation about the downfall.

Well, it is historically significant in the sense that the christianisation of the empire, as a process and not a singular event, certainly had a significant impact on the culture and the further course of history. But that hardly makes it unique. If it is brought up in a scholarly conversation regarding the downfall (itself a pretty loaded term btw.), it's pretty much just to dismiss it. Monocausality of any kind is highly suspect at the best of times.

I said there was a unified pagan tradition coming from Homer and Hesiod, which subsequently developed and to which various pseudo-Christian philosophical systems (neoplatonism under Julian's reign) were grafted. This mythology represents one of the oldest stages of the religion in literature.

When you (and others in this thread) talk about a pagan tradition, what is included in that? Is the term "pagan" here used as a synonym solely for Greek mythology or do you include other belief systems under that heading?

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Mutz wrote:
Christianity could well be argued to have (had) female deities, or at least deity-ish concepts. Be it Mary as Mater Dei or the rest of the host of female saints.

Not with any real understanding of the concept of Saints, Mary, or the title "Mother of God".
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:42 pm

Imperial Valaran wrote:Cato the Younger does not remotely deserve the praise he gets.

And why is that, exactly?
Previous Profile: Minzerland
Donkey Advocate & Herald of Donkeydom
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:46 pm

Mutz wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Not really true across the board. Ares in Greece, for instance, was hated outside of Sparta. And while pagans were patriarchal, unlike Christians they had female clergy and deities.

No he wasn't. He was worshipped mainly in northern Greece and had a quite prominently placed temple in Athens. Not very well liked? Sure. Hated? That would be a highly anachronistic view. He also had no particular importance for the Spartans. Their patron deity was Athena, with a side-serving of Apollo, like a dozen other poleis.

Well, it is historically significant in the sense that the christianisation of the empire, as a process and not a singular event, certainly had a significant impact on the culture and the further course of history. But that hardly makes it unique. If it is brought up in a scholarly conversation regarding the downfall (itself a pretty loaded term btw.), it's pretty much just to dismiss it. Monocausality of any kind is highly suspect at the best of times.

I said there was a unified pagan tradition coming from Homer and Hesiod, which subsequently developed and to which various pseudo-Christian philosophical systems (neoplatonism under Julian's reign) were grafted. This mythology represents one of the oldest stages of the religion in literature.

When you (and others in this thread) talk about a pagan tradition, what is included in that? Is the term "pagan" here used as a synonym solely for Greek mythology or do you include other belief systems under that heading?

Saints fulfill a role similar to the mother of Achilles did in the Iliad, they are intercessors. Although the mother of Achilles is a deity, thus function is not innately divine.

All poetry I have read portrays Ares negatively and hateful. I did not suggest he was the patron of Sparta, but that Sparta held him in higher regard.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Shikihara
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shikihara » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:16 pm

Does anyone think that Buddhism could've spread through the Roman Empire instead of Christianity?
Hegel wrote:“Spirit certainly makes war upon itself - consumes its own existence; but in this very destruction it works up that existence into a new form, and each successive phase becomes in its turn a material, working on which it exalts itself to a new grade..”

Shikiharan Factbook
Lesbian, Environmentalist, (mostly) Social Democrat, Nationalist, and Japanophile.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:27 pm

Shikihara wrote:
The New Sea Territory wrote:I said there was a unified pagan tradition coming from Homer and Hesiod, which subsequently developed and to which various pseudo-Christian philosophical systems (neoplatonism under Julian's reign) were grafted. This mythology represents one of the oldest stages of the religion in literature.

Is there any reason to believe that Neoplatonism and other logos-based philosophies were "grafted" onto Homeric tradition and Hesiod's cosmogony? I think it's more likely that both developed from the indigenous Hellenic pagan beliefs of the time. I've not read much if anything on Hesiod, but Homer doesn't really add any major cosmological themes, or anything that didn't already exist.

I don't think this follows the timeline. Both developing from Hellenic belief would not account for the shift in the meaning of "aletheia". One, the latter, developed in response to, in rejection of, the established traditional mythology which is typified by Homer and Hesiod.

Homer adds a major theological theme: the imperfection of the gods. The gods' imperfection directly contradicts a Platonic concept like "the Good", which is the basis for Socrates' argument against Homeric poetry: the gods are perfect and are consonant with the "Good" for Socrates, thus they could not be depicted this way justly. Other implicit contradictions would be between Homer's depiction of death, the various souls Odysseus meets in the underworld, and Socrates' theory of recollection, which is predicated on rebirth (there are ways both reincarnation and Homer's depiction of death could be true, but that requires division of soul, which Socrates says is impossible in Phaedo), or Socrates' "rational" ambivalence towards death in iApology juxtaposed with Achilles' radical, spirited affirmation of death in the Iliad.

I also fail to understand why Neo-Platonism should be called "pseudo-Christian."

It's the philosophical system of Christianity. It is the framework Christian theologians used to develop their own religion. In its latest non-Christian incarnations, Julian's for example, it had already developed into a sort of henotheism.

The New Sea Territory wrote:I think this is very much the opposite of what the lower class predisposition to Christianity and Plato's description of Socrates' teachings would lead me to believe.

Could you elaborate?

The other two paragraphs were explaining my position. Put simply, the distinction between "muthos" and "logos" existed in Greek culture, and I speculated that Latin "religio" and "superstitio" could have been seen as running parallel to the previous muthos-logos" distinction. If so, then the Platonic distinction already was commonplace in Roman society. Christianity simply changed positions with paganism when it became "religio", the public and civic religion of the Empire, while paganism was forced into the "superstitio" category, which is analogous to "muthos" and thus "irrational". This could account for the attraction of the common people to Christianity. Couple this with Socrates' charge in Apology and his actions in Gorgias, we see the Socrates' critique of rhetoric as targeting elites who were fearful this criticism in public (the entirety of Republic is a private conversation, which is why it lasts as long as it does; Gorgias flees because common people watch Socrates critique him).

The New Sea Territory wrote:Certainly. Although Aristotle is writing already past the break from Homer by Plato. The pre-Socratics might have been logocentric in their own way, but not in the anti-Homeric sense Plato was (situating "aletheia" as outside history, outside the cave, while Homer's "a-letheia" retained an older meaning of the word Heidegger identifies as "unconcealment", characterized by King Alcinous's response to Odysseus's story, roughly "You speak with art but what you say is true").

Heraclitus believed that Homer deserved to be beaten, and that Hesiod lacked understanding. That seems much more extreme than what Plato wrote about Homer. Anaxagoras never made any statements about Homer that I'm aware of, but his pantheistic belief in nous already seemed a major split from Hesiod and Homer.

That's doesn't specify a fundamental disagreement about a theory of Truth, which is the difference between Homer and Plato.

Disagreement about particulars within a religion are nowhere near as extreme as Plato's fundamental philosophical shift: situating "aletheia" independent of history, very much the opposite of Heraclitus' "all things in flux" fragment and something diametrically opposed to Odysseus's tale to Alcinous in the court of the Phaiakians.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:29 pm

Shikihara wrote:Does anyone think that Buddhism could've spread through the Roman Empire instead of Christianity?

From what I remember there were some Buddhists who tried, and at least got as far as Judea.

I might be remembering wrong though.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Shikihara
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shikihara » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:35 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Shikihara wrote:Does anyone think that Buddhism could've spread through the Roman Empire instead of Christianity?

From what I remember there were some Buddhists who tried, and at least got as far as Judea.

There's records of a Śramaṇa (who might've been a Buddhist) setting himself on fire in Athens in a display of his faith, and Ashoka apparently sent missionaries as far as Greece and Egypt.

Shikiharan Factbook

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:36 pm

Shikihara wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

There's records of a Śramaṇa (who might've been a Buddhist) setting himself on fire in Athens in a display of his faith, and Ashoka apparently sent missionaries as far as Greece and Egypt.

I think that's what I was thinking of.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:43 pm

Mutz wrote:When you (and others in this thread) talk about a pagan tradition, what is included in that? Is the term "pagan" here used as a synonym solely for Greek mythology or do you include other belief systems under that heading?

Here we're talking about Greco-Roman polytheism specifically. At least, that's what I intend.

Other mythologies and the inter-related mythologies through syncretic religious practice (say, Gallo-Roman or Frankish polytheism) were not included in my statements.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:19 pm

Astrolinium wrote:Just look at traditional Roman civic religion -- which was what we would call "pagan". The male paterfamilias literally had life and death power (rarely exercised in practice) over his household, and while women did have comparatively more freedom and rights in practice than some neighboring cultures, they were still considered in many ways the property of, until marriage, their fathers, and afterwards, their husbands. Hell, they didn't even get their own names, really.

By the time of the late Republic manus marriage had fallen out of favor. And tbh in terms of naming conventions no one really got their own names. Do you know how many Romans named 'Gaius' there were? What about naming your children "First, second, third"?

Okay, but compare names like "Quintus Caecilius Metellus Pius Cornelianus Scipio Nasica" to "Tullia Ciceronis". There's a pretty stark difference there (even if the first example is an extreme). And fine on manus marriage, that's not that big a difference in terms of my actual point.

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Shikihara wrote:
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Objective historians tend to think the empire fell because Constantine embraced Christianity, though I think his banning of gladiator games and killing of one's slave what did it.

Rome fell for a million different reasons. That Christianity was at times an inadequate replacement for some of the specific civic roles of traditional Roman religion is but a drop in that bucket.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Khanastan
Ambassador

Founded: May 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Khanastan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:14 pm

Was Constantine really Christian? Did he just interpret Christ as a version of Sol Invicta? Or was his adoption of Christianity just a ploy to homogenise and control the Empire through the church?

These are the questions that keep me up at night.
“The ancient Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone, of all the Greeks, know that I know nothing.” - Socrates
Khanastan is an entirely fictional PMT nation somewhat similar to a larger, more free version of China. We are a massive federal representative republic of half a billion people with a self-sufficient, world-dominating economy. NS stats are not used. Use our Factbook instead.
Call me Khan. I've been here a while. I'm from Glasgow, Scotland. I think people should treat people like they want to be treated themselves. If you want to know more you're going have to buy me a drink or get to know me better, otherwise i'll stop being such a mystery.
Merry crisis one and all.

Khanastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Khanastan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Personally, I don't think it could have. The culture of the Roman world at large would probably not have blended particularly well with Buddhist ideals. And with the exception of a few leading figures (Marcus Aurelius for example), I don't think the powerful people of the Roman world would have readily adopted Buddhism legitimately.
“The ancient Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone, of all the Greeks, know that I know nothing.” - Socrates
Khanastan is an entirely fictional PMT nation somewhat similar to a larger, more free version of China. We are a massive federal representative republic of half a billion people with a self-sufficient, world-dominating economy. NS stats are not used. Use our Factbook instead.
Call me Khan. I've been here a while. I'm from Glasgow, Scotland. I think people should treat people like they want to be treated themselves. If you want to know more you're going have to buy me a drink or get to know me better, otherwise i'll stop being such a mystery.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:18 pm

Khanastan wrote:Was Constantine really Christian? Did he just interpret Christ as a version of Sol Invicta? Or was his adoption of Christianity just a ploy to homogenise and control the Empire through the church?

Considering he refused a triumph and refused to sacrifice to pagan gods after winning the crown, I am inclined to believe his sincerity. Although accounts suggest he was not seriously observant until after he murdered his wife and son (for sleeping together, supposedly), which gave him an extremely guilty conscience and a dread he would be punished.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Khanastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Khanastan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:31 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Khanastan wrote:Was Constantine really Christian? Did he just interpret Christ as a version of Sol Invicta? Or was his adoption of Christianity just a ploy to homogenise and control the Empire through the church?

Considering he refused a triumph and refused to sacrifice to pagan gods after winning the crown, I am inclined to believe his sincerity. Although accounts suggest he was not seriously observant until after he murdered his wife and son (for sleeping together, supposedly), which gave him an extremely guilty conscience and a dread he would be punished.

Call me cynical, but I think he was a little more calculated with his 'adoption' of Christianity.

Having just taken control of the empire after the civil war, I believe he looked to the church as more of an ally than anything else. Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't he only baptised on his deathbed? I know that was a pretty common thing to do, but if he was in search of repentance then it makes sense to me that he would have been baptised after he had his family killed, instead of waiting until the last minute.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:38 pm

Khanastan wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Considering he refused a triumph and refused to sacrifice to pagan gods after winning the crown, I am inclined to believe his sincerity. Although accounts suggest he was not seriously observant until after he murdered his wife and son (for sleeping together, supposedly), which gave him an extremely guilty conscience and a dread he would be punished.

Call me cynical, but I think he was a little more calculated with his 'adoption' of Christianity.

Having just taken control of the empire after the civil war, I believe he looked to the church as more of an ally than anything else. Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't he only baptised on his deathbed? I know that was a pretty common thing to do, but if he was in search of repentance then it makes sense to me that he would have been baptised after he had his family killed, instead of waiting until the last minute.

The church was not any substantial ally.

If he did not believe, he would have been baptized either earlier or not at all. People waited until deathbed to be 100% assured of heaven, which otherwise you cannot be
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Monsters and Humans
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Monsters and Humans » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:41 pm

It amazes me that the Roman Empire was so strong in military and yet they lost to small tribes.
Hello! I am Monsters and Humans! ^w^ Yes as you can tell I'm Undertale trash... But just so you know I didn't base my entire nation on Undertale I just did the Monster part!

Read my factbooks to find out about my lore!

Khanastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Khanastan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:45 pm

Monsters and Humans wrote:It amazes me that the Roman Empire was so strong in military and yet they lost to small tribes.

Those 'small tribes' were composed of whole populations of people, hundreds of thousands strong.

It also didn't help that they had no money and a sizeable chunk of their armed forces were made up of warriors from those tribes.

Cedoria
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 22, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Cedoria » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:49 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:A thread for discussion of the Roman Republic as well as Empire.

During the late years of the Roman Republic, there the tension between the aristrocrats (who controlled the senate) and the plebians (and non citizens) increased more regularly into violence, which reached an apogee under the populist consul Marius, who had no qualms about inciting mob m action and widespread murder to support his cause. Sulla, a military commander, marched on Rome to restore law, ironically destroying one of Rome's most important laws (armies are to stay out). He did restore order but, alas, Marius, after fleeing, returned, and was even worse. Sulla again marched on Rome, and the senate this time made him dictator; he used his power to proscribe (murder) those whom he consideres the ringleaders of the trouble (hundreds of men); when order was restored, he stepped down as dictator. So, for an opening topic, I ask: were Sulla's murders justified? I would say they harmed more than helped, since in the long run they paved the way for Caesar by setting an "above the law" precedent.

No, Sulla was a monster.

I personally suspect Marius had some kind of mental degradation after he returned from exile (stroke I suspect), but Sulla was that way for starters.

Sulla also made a mistake by not staying Dictator until he was sure his constitution could not be overturned.

As to whether his reforms were good, well I don't really think muzzling the Tribunes of the Plebs and preventing them protecting the rights of the lower classes was a good idea. The Roman aristocracy was so bloated and corrupt at that point the Tribunes were needed more than ever. The system Sulla was trying to protect was rotten.
In real life I am a libertarian socialist

Abolish the state!

Ni Dieu ni Maitre!
Founding member of The Leftist Assembly

Cedoria
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Cedoria » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:53 pm

The East Marches II wrote:Sulla internet defense force reporting in. Sulla did nothing wrong. Marian scum had overthrown the Republic, they were stabbing him in the back as he fought possibly the greatest foe Rome ever faced in the form of Mithridates. A war on two fronts. The Marian scum took advantage of Sulla's mercy the first time. He did not make a mistake the second time in a mass pardon. Marius didn't even bring in most of the reforms to the system. He just took the credit as he did for most of his career.

Sulla marched on Rome first, committing the greatest sacrilege imaginable.

The fact that it was the supposed traditionalists who also started the process of murder through public violence by killing the Gracchi Brothers is richly ironic. The conservatives began the violence they later condemned in others in that stage.

No, Marius was a military reformer, not a political one. Sulla was explicitly attempting to reverse the changes and go back to the mos maiorum, the ways of the ancestors. That's why his reforms mostly didn't last.

There's a reason why he was hated, even by conservatives like Cato, after his death. His policies depended on the most untraditional method, overthrow of the state with armed troops, in order to be implemented.

Abolish the state!

Ni Dieu ni Maitre!

Cedoria
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Cedoria » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:59 pm

Khanastan wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:In a much better place. Augustus' interests lay more with the nobility than the common people, unlike Caesar.

Caesar's interest in the common people was nothing more than a popular grasp at power. He was a pandering tyrant in every sense of the word. He would have run the state into the ground.

I absolutely can and will condemn Augustus for practicing the kind of nepotism that would later define and destroy the Empire. Rome wasn't overextended, and the subjugation of Germania both for its amber and the pacification of the Germanic tribes would have been immensely useful.

Later define? I'm pretty nepotism was a cornerstone of Roman political life since its inception, especially during the republic. It would have been useful to hold all of Mesopotamia and Dacia too, but still unrealistic. I don't think its a coincidence that Rome was never able to maintain any conquests of land outside of that achieved at the end of Augustus' reign. Dacia has to be abandoned. Mesopotamia had to be abandoned. Armenia was constantly being taken and lost. The only exception to this was Britannia, and even then that was tedious. Rome had gotten as big as it could possibly hope to maintain.

She was a fellow Christian intensely interested in the persecution of the religious minorities within their borders. The actions and attitudes of Justinian and Theodora were more becoming of eastern despots and monarchs than Roman leaders of the res publica.

Persecution of religious minorities within Christianity was already commonplace, going back as far as Constantine I to preserve the homogeny of the church. Like Constantine before them, Justinian and Theodora took steps to try and solve these schisms diplomatically. It didn't work, obviously, but at least they tried.

Just on Caesar, actually he was far less nepotistic than most. By the time he was Dictator, whose crotch you were yanked from didn't mean much to him. He appointed quite a lot of New Men on his staff for his planned Parthian Campaign, and certainly had no problem ticking off idiotic aristocrats (like Tiberius Nero in Egypt) when they did stupid stuff.

Caesar was no snob, whatever else you might say of him. And I think he could've conquered Parthia, he had a pretty good method worked out of beating them.

Abolish the state!

Ni Dieu ni Maitre!

Cedoria
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Cedoria » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:02 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:I am well aware of them, but they certainly did not include giving the poor a greater voice in government anymore than Putin does.

His interest was in weakening the aristocracy of the Senatorial and Equestrian orders who had dominated the republic for their own benefit. This weakening necessarily implies a strengthening of the plebs and poor. If he wasn't assassinated in the midst of his reforms, which included land redistribution to the poor and jobs programs, debt relief, reformation and REDUCTION of the grain dole, etc etc, his reforms would have left the Republic better off in the manner of a Sulla rather than an Augustus.

He weakened them not to increase their democratic power, but because they were HIS powerbase.

He didn't really want them to become more politically inclined, he just wanted his power base strengthened and the voting base of the First Class (the boni or Optimates) weakened. You're correct about the fact that his reforms would've undoubtedly worked better than most others. Augustus's largely worked too with the exception of the moral ones (don't know where Augustus got the ideas for those weird moral reforms. Caesar certainly wouldn't have favoured laws against adultery.) ;)

Abolish the state!

Ni Dieu ni Maitre!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General