NATION

PASSWORD

Irreligious Discussion Thread: Welcome to the Nonery!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What label do you prefer?

Atheist
51%
Agnostic
17%
Deist
5%
Humanist
10%
Spiritual but not religious
3%
Other
8%
Prefer not to label self
7%

Total votes : 105

-Ocelot-
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ocelot- » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:39 am

Tule wrote:Add "Apatheist" to the poll.

I really don't care about this religion stuff.

Seconded. If this poll has atheist and agnostic, it should have apatheist as well. For those who simply don't care.

Sapientia Et Bellum wrote:What up? Not an atheist, I am a pretty fervent southern Baptist who recently finished reading the new testament... up to chat though

Are you protestant? What is the difference between you and other Christian groups?

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:40 am

-Ocelot- wrote:

Seconded. If this poll has atheist and agnostic, it should have apatheist as well. For those who simply don't care.

Note that technically apatheism is a subform of atheism.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:42 am

Dejanic wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:Why do we need a thread for this? I'm mostly asking as a personal question rather than as a mod because I am atheist and I don't see the point of it.

It's kind of weird how some don't believe in religion and are quite anti-theistic, but make a personal identity and belief system (almost like a religion?) out of their non belief.

Well, technically - so do non-atheists. Atheists are being persecuted, imprisoned and killed for being atheists for instance - regardless of what kind of person they are.
Or, less serious, stand no chance whatsoever to become president of the USA ;)

"Not believing in anything" apparantly is a grave sin.
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

-Ocelot-
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ocelot- » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:45 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
-Ocelot- wrote:

Are you sure? According to Wikipedia, Apatheism "is the attitude that one should be apathetic towards the existence or non-existence of god(s)". It seems to me that it's not a subcategory of atheism.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:45 am

Jormengand wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:"Do you think evolution should be the only method of creation taught in schools?".

I still cannot fathom how the answer to the question "Do you believe that the truth should be taught in schools" is a controversial one, honestly.

Some agnostics believe that all differing systems of creation should be taught, but evolution should be prioritised. Personally, I think this makes about as much sense as teaching three different methods of solving algebra, but saying that only one is actually correct. Besides, it was just a suggestion as something to initiate discussion.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Kubrath
Minister

Founded: Feb 23, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kubrath » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:46 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Dejanic wrote:It's kind of weird how some don't believe in religion and are quite anti-theistic, but make a personal identity and belief system (almost like a religion?) out of their non belief.

Well, technically - so do non-atheists. Atheists are being persecuted, imprisoned and killed for being atheists for instance - regardless of what kind of person they are.

"Not believing in anything" apparantly is a grave sin.

Yep. People can construct identities around all sorts of aspects in life - ethnicity, race, sexuality, belief, non-belief, whatever. It's what you do with it that counts.
Kubrath Embassy Program
If your commanders are surprised every time they lose a squad, they probably die several minutes into a campaign due to being critically over-gasped.

North Valinka: What kind of an oxymoron is "Libertarian Police State"?
Petroviya: It arrests law makers.

Phocidaea wrote:Maybe democracy isn't the way?

Of course democracy is the way, dammit! There is no such thing as too much democracy!

Fuckin' dictatorships.

Sociobiology wrote:This is the problem with trying to understand the universe with a brain evolved to find ripe fruit and scream defiance at the ape in the next tree.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:47 am

-Ocelot- wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Are you sure? According to Wikipedia, Apatheism "is the attitude that one should be apathetic towards the existence or non-existence of god(s)". It seems to me that it's not a subcategory of atheism.

Atheism is no more than not actively believing and or worshipping deities. If that is because you do not give a damn (apathy), believe it is impossible to know if deities exist or not (agnostic), think believing in god is retarded (anti-theism) etc. does not actually matter ;)
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kubrath
Minister

Founded: Feb 23, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kubrath » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:49 am

This poll hasn't been well designed in my opinion. What if I'm a humanist who also happens to be an agnostic atheist?
Kubrath Embassy Program
If your commanders are surprised every time they lose a squad, they probably die several minutes into a campaign due to being critically over-gasped.

North Valinka: What kind of an oxymoron is "Libertarian Police State"?
Petroviya: It arrests law makers.

Phocidaea wrote:Maybe democracy isn't the way?

Of course democracy is the way, dammit! There is no such thing as too much democracy!

Fuckin' dictatorships.

Sociobiology wrote:This is the problem with trying to understand the universe with a brain evolved to find ripe fruit and scream defiance at the ape in the next tree.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:50 am

Darussalam wrote:
Aellex wrote:Yeah, yeah, we're having it so rough compared to the peoples a couple hundred years ago when the average life expectancy was 40 years, one out of three child died before reaching adulthood and a slight cut could mean death or amputation among many, many other fun things.
Poor us, truly.

Not seeing how this is relevant, honestly. Supposedly under the same logic it just makes religion even more ineffective in alleviating suffering. Not that it's really the purpose of religion, though.

If I recall correctly, religion heavily promotes the idea of hope, even in the toughest of situations: which is not necessarily a bad thing in principle, but I believe that believing in a supernatural force doesn't translate into reality: realistic action needs to be taken too.
Last edited by Minoa on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:43 am

Any devout atheists here, or are you all nonpracticing?

What do you think atheism's greatest contribution to our culture has been?
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

The Portland Territory
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Portland Territory » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:55 am

Here's a question that I've debated with many others before, but will bring here.

What is the point of morals if there is no higher power to enforce them? I say this because, if you are an atheist, agnostic, whatever, if you have any at all, your morals are subjective. Morals are not objective because there has never been anything eternal and powerful to support certain ideals. If morals are subjective and are so susceptible to change, then why have any at all? For example, in 2004, Barack Obama said that he does not support same-sex marriage. Ten years later, with his support, same-sex marriage becomes legal in the United States. Why should beliefs that are so fundamental in your life, change? Morals, in the secular sense, are meant to make you a good person. If you keep changing them, because they are subjective, then what keeps somebody from forming their own dangerous beliefs which are "moral" to them?
Korwin-Mikke 2020
Տխերք հավակեկ բոզերա. Կոոնել կոոնելով Արաչ ենկ երտոոմ մինչեվ Բակու

16 year old Monarchist from Rhode Island. Interested in economics, governance, metaphysical philosophy, European + Near Eastern history, vexillology, faith, hunting, automotive, ranching, science fiction, music, and anime.

Pro: Absolute Monarchy, Lex Rex, Subsidiarity, Guild Capitalism, Property Rights, Tridentine Catholicism, Unlimited Gun Rights, Hierarchy, Traditionalism, Ethnic Nationalism, Irredentism
Mixed: Fascism, Anarcho Capitalism, Donald Trump
Against: Democracy/ Democratic Republicanism, Egalitarianism, Direct Taxation, Cultural Marxism, Redistribution of Wealth

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:57 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:Any devout atheists here, or are you all nonpracticing?

What do you think atheism's greatest contribution to our culture has been?

Hmm. The Greatest happiness principle ?
And possibly the resulting concept of animal rights.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:57 am

The Portland Territory wrote:Here's a question that I've debated with many others before, but will bring here.

What is the point of morals if there is no higher power to enforce them?

Mass murder is rather inconvenient for society.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

The Portland Territory
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Portland Territory » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:59 am

Valrifell wrote:
The Portland Territory wrote:Here's a question that I've debated with many others before, but will bring here.

But morals are subjective, aren't they? What if I though jihad was moral, and a lot of people do? Does that make me right?
Korwin-Mikke 2020

16 year old Monarchist from Rhode Island. Interested in economics, governance, metaphysical philosophy, European + Near Eastern history, vexillology, faith, hunting, automotive, ranching, science fiction, music, and anime.

Pro: Absolute Monarchy, Lex Rex, Subsidiarity, Guild Capitalism, Property Rights, Tridentine Catholicism, Unlimited Gun Rights, Hierarchy, Traditionalism, Ethnic Nationalism, Irredentism
Against: Democracy/ Democratic Republicanism, Egalitarianism, Direct Taxation, Cultural Marxism, Redistribution of Wealth

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:01 am

The Portland Territory wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

But morals are subjective, aren't they? What if I though jihad was moral, and a lot of people do? Does that make me right?

There are certain things that people are under broad agreement as "bad," since encouraging these things makes it really hard for civilization and stable society to form. Murder, theft, etc. Some people can twist things to make things like jihad seem justified, but that isn't a humanist, atheist, or agnostic argument.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:04 am

Valrifell wrote:

Maybe. But you'd be forced out of a society that disagrees with you.
A few generations later we will then see which system worked better - the "let us work together for the greater good taking eachothers feelings into account" or the "let us kill and rape to our hearts content" society.

Yesyes. I know it is the latter. Throughout history it has always been the latter.

The Portland Territory
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Portland Territory » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:04 am

Valrifell wrote:
The Portland Territory wrote:But morals are subjective, aren't they? What if I though jihad was moral, and a lot of people do? Does that make me right?

There are certain things that people are under broad agreement as "bad," since encouraging these things makes it really hard for civilization and stable society to form. Murder, theft, etc. Some people can twist things to make things like jihad seem justified, but that isn't a humanist, atheist, or agnostic argument.

That's your subjective view though. If a majority of people believe something is right or wrong, it doesnt automatically make it right.
Korwin-Mikke 2020

The Portland Territory
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Portland Territory » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:07 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
The Portland Territory wrote:But morals are subjective, aren't they? What if I though jihad was moral, and a lot of people do? Does that make me right?

A few generations later we will then see which system worked better - the "let us work together for the greater good taking eachothers feelings into account" or the "let us kill and rape to our hearts content" society.

Yesyes. I know it is the latter. Throughout history it has always been the latter.

What if the latter people are content with that? And what if their ideals spread? I mean, most leftists are saying that the far-right is growing with their bigotry, racism, and misogyny. And theyre growing within a free western society. What of that?
Korwin-Mikke 2020

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:09 am

The Alma Mater wrote:

What if the latter people are content with that? And what if their ideals spread? I mean, most leftists are saying that the far-right is growing with their bigotry, racism, and misogyny. And theyre growing within a free western society. What of that?

Then their morals were superior from an evolutionary viewpoint. As religious morals are.

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:10 am

Valrifell wrote:

yet governments pay millions to put people in uniforms and train them to do it

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:12 am

I feel exceptionally sorry for anyone who does not understand that morality, that is, not being a dick to your fellow human being, is fundamentally a good thing, or what the point is of it, intrinsically.

I say this because, if you are an atheist, agnostic, whatever, if you have any at all, your morals are subjective.

They most certainly are not. There's no arguing that whether genocide is helpful or harmful to our fellow being is a mere matter of opinion.

Morals are not objective because there has never been anything eternal and powerful to support certain ideals.

What is more eternal or powerful than good for good's own sake?

If morals are subjective and are so susceptible to change, then why have any at all?

They are neither.

For example, in 2004, Barack Obama said that he does not support same-sex marriage. Ten years later, with his support, same-sex marriage becomes legal in the United States.

Barrack Obama was wrong, and now he is right. It has always been the case that same-sex marriage provides benefit to people and to society.

Why should beliefs that are so fundamental in your life, change?

If you had asked me ten years ago, I would not have believed many of the other fact statements that I believe today - I would not have believed that certain technological capabilities would ever be invented, I would not have believed that certain things that have come to pass were going to come to pass, and I would not have believed certain statements of science which we now know to be true. To refuse to change one's beliefs on such topics is a blight which sadly afflicts many people, but I try to do my utmost to avoid it. So it is with morality.

Morals, in the secular sense, are meant to make you a good person. If you keep changing them, because they are subjective, then what keeps somebody from forming their own dangerous beliefs which are "moral" to them?

Moral truth is no more "Changed" than scientific truth. It was not decided that light should both be a wave and a particle: it was discovered by experiment. Similarly, we can discover moral truth via a modicum of thought.
Jormengand wrote:It would be really meta if I sigged this.

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:15 am

-Ocelot- wrote:

File it under "other" I guess.

The Portland Territory
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Portland Territory » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:16 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
The Portland Territory wrote:What if the latter people are content with that? And what if their ideals spread? I mean, most leftists are saying that the far-right is growing with their bigotry, racism, and misogyny. And theyre growing within a free western society. What of that?

Then their morals were superior from an evolutionary viewpoint. As religious morals are.

Morals should not evolve, though. What is good and bad must be set in stone, otherwise they are pointless
Korwin-Mikke 2020

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:19 am

Morality in a nutshell: don’t hurt people.

There, that’s it. That’s all we need to know.
Trust Factbooks, not stats.

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:19 am

The Portland Territory wrote:What is the point of morals if there is no higher power to enforce them? I say this because, if you are an atheist, agnostic, whatever, if you have any at all, your morals are subjective.

Quite not. Ethics allows to build a universal (that is, valid for every person) moral code (that is a code of behaviour) without resorting to higher power. Just imagine having to answer "is this behaviour beneficial or detrimental to most people?"

Morals are not objective because there has never been anything eternal and powerful to support certain ideals.

Morals don't need a reference to anything eternal and powerful. Morals are about the behaviour of people, and people aren't eternal, or especially "powerful".

If morals are subjective and are so susceptible to change, then why have any at all?

Because boundary conditions change.

For example, in 2004, Barack Obama said that he does not support same-sex marriage. Ten years later, with his support, same-sex marriage becomes legal in the United States. Why should beliefs that are so fundamental in your life, change?

Who says that supporting or opposing same-sex marriage is so fundamental in Obama's life?

Morals, in the secular sense, are meant to make you a good person. If you keep changing them, because they are subjective, then what keeps somebody from forming their own dangerous beliefs which are "moral" to them?

Universal ethics.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General