NATION

PASSWORD

Gun Control: Shiny Toy Guns

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Am I Right?

Yeah, mostly, seems agreeable.
22%
Dunno/Not sure/Not American and I think that matters
6%
Nah, you're crazy. Guns should be more restricted.
26%
Nah, you're crazy. Guns should be less restricted.
40%
JC Christ CM come back when the meds wear off
7%

Total votes : 724

New Emeline
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:43 pm

Kramanica wrote:Apparently Kyle Kashuv, a pro-gun Parkland student, has challenged Hogg to a debate about gun control.

No way the little shit would accept, but it would be fun to see.

How come there were like 3,000 students in that school and yet the media only ever lets us hear from a select handful of them?

If "the media" only let you here a select few, how would you have heard of Kyle Kashuv?
Additionally, I can't blame the kids for not wanting to be in the spotlight. Just look at the way people are treating the ones who are.
Last edited by New Emeline on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:44 pm

Children don't understand public policy. News at 11.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:44 pm

New Emeline wrote:
Kramanica wrote:Apparently Kyle Kashuv, a pro-gun Parkland student, has challenged Hogg to a debate about gun control.

How come there were like 3,000 students in that school and yet the media only ever lets us hear from a select handful of them?

If "the media" only let you here a select few, how would you have heard of Kyle Kashuv?

Shh, that doesn't fit the narrative.

Kramanica
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kramanica » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Albrenia wrote:

Maybe most don't want to enter the political arena to be smeared by whichever side they disagree with?

And what about those who do like the one i just mentioned?
Running out of nation names faster than I can think of them
American National Syndicalist
"B-but gun control works in Australia..."

New Emeline
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Albrenia wrote:
New Emeline wrote:If "the media" only let you here a select few, how would you have heard of Kyle Kashuv?

Shh, that doesn't fit the narrative.

;)

New Emeline
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Kramanica wrote:
Albrenia wrote:
Maybe most don't want to enter the political arena to be smeared by whichever side they disagree with?

If the big bad media is trying to silence them, they evidently aren't doing a very good job of it.

Kramanica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kramanica » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:46 pm

New Emeline wrote:

Additionally, I can't blame the kids for not wanting to be in the spotlight. Just look at the way people are treating the ones who are.

I mean, it might get reported on but it won't be front page news and they certainly won't end up on the cover of Time wearing no shoes.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:47 pm

Kramanica wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

They'd be the ones you hear of. I don't expect all 3,000 students to suddenly become nagging politicians on either side, some might be smart enough to keep out of the news and go on with their lives.

New Emeline
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:48 pm

Kramanica wrote:
New Emeline wrote:If "the media" only let you here a select few, how would you have heard of Kyle Kashuv?

I mean, it might get reported on but it won't be front page news and they certainly won't end up on the cover of Time wearing no shoes.

Not promoting someone isn't the same as not allowing you to hear from them...

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:48 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:That's just bad politics in general. "Give us what we want or we'll take it from you!" is hardly a way to convince the other side. And since the other side holds the Congress and the Presidency, it's unlikely to get them anything.

The other side is sadly infected with the belief in "Right side of historyism" they see all of the above as a minor setback against their "Inevitable" total victory where everyone who doesn't agree with them will be forced to submit.

I seem to remember the Soviet Union having the same belief once.

This is also not such hot politics:

In Politico, Edward-Isaac Dovere and Elana Schor wrote:The students said they won’t be satisfied without an assaults weapons ban, waiting periods on purchases, restrictions on magazines and universal background checks.

“When they give us that inch — that bump stock ban — we will take a mile,” proclaimed Delaney Tarr, another Marjory Stoneman Douglas student leader. “We are not here for breadcrumbs.

It's great preaching to the choir, but they've just written political ad copy for every gun-rights organization in the country.

I suspect the Democrats will take the House this year, and have a fair shot at the Senate, but even if they do, not by enough to overcome a veto.

(For the record, while an assault™-style weapons® ban is worthless, I might be in favor of the other three, depending on the details. For example, a 24-hour waiting period on gun purchases will probably prevent some crimes, but much longer than that seems an undue burden on legitimate gun buyers.)
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Kramanica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kramanica » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:49 pm

New Emeline wrote:
Kramanica wrote:And what about those who do like the one i just mentioned?

If the big bad media is trying to silence them, they evidently aren't doing a very good job of it.

Debate me, not strawman me.

I didn't say they were trying to silence them. My point is that they aren't proping them up like they're doing with Hogg and that one skinhead woman whose name escapes me.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:49 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
The Lone Alliance wrote:The other side is sadly infected with the belief in "Right side of historyism" they see all of the above as a minor setback against their "Inevitable" total victory where everyone who doesn't agree with them will be forced to submit.

I seem to remember the Soviet Union having the same belief once.

This is also not such hot politics:

In Politico, Edward-Isaac Dovere and Elana Schor wrote:The students said they won’t be satisfied without an assaults weapons ban, waiting periods on purchases, restrictions on magazines and universal background checks.

“When they give us that inch — that bump stock ban — we will take a mile,” proclaimed Delaney Tarr, another Marjory Stoneman Douglas student leader. “We are not here for breadcrumbs.

It's great preaching to the choir, but they've just written political ad copy for every gun-rights organization in the country.

I suspect the Democrats will take the House this year, and have a fair shot at the Senate, but even if they do, not by enough to overcome a veto.

(For the record, while an assault™-style weapons® ban is worthless, I might be in favor of the other three, depending on the details. For example, a 24-hour waiting period on gun purchases will probably prevent some crimes, but much longer than that seems an undue burden on legitimate gun buyers.)

Magazine restrictions would do absolutely shit-all.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:51 pm

Kramanica wrote:
New Emeline wrote:If the big bad media is trying to silence them, they evidently aren't doing a very good job of it.

I didn't say they were trying to silence them. My point is that they aren't proping them up like they're doing with Hogg and that one skinhead woman whose name escapes me.

Businesses sell to their customers. I guess the more lefty media like reporting stories lefties will buy into, and right-wing media for its audience.

It's not a good thing, but it's not a conspiracy against only your side. It's just greed.

New Emeline
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:51 pm

Kramanica wrote:
New Emeline wrote:If the big bad media is trying to silence them, they evidently aren't doing a very good job of it.

"skinhead woman"
Alrighty.
And you were implying censorship when you said "how come the media is only allowing us to see a select few"
Allowing, not propping up.
Last edited by New Emeline on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kramanica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kramanica » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:51 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Kramanica wrote:And what about those who do like the one i just mentioned?

They'd be the ones you hear of. I don't expect all 3,000 students to suddenly become nagging politicians on either side, some might be smart enough to keep out of the news and go on with their lives.

I don't think you're really understanding, well, anything.

Kramanica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kramanica » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:52 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Kramanica wrote:Debate me, not strawman me.

Businesses sell to their customers. I guess the more lefty media like reporting stories lefties will buy into, and right-wing media for its audience.

It's not a good thing, but it's not a conspiracy against only your side. It's just greed.

I didn't imply or state that it was a conspiracy.

Kramanica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kramanica » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:52 pm

New Emeline wrote:
Kramanica wrote:I mean, it might get reported on but it won't be front page news and they certainly won't end up on the cover of Time wearing no shoes.

Not promoting someone isn't the same as not allowing you to hear from them...

It is when they're barely covered at all.

Kramanica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kramanica » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:53 pm

New Emeline wrote:
Kramanica wrote:Debate me, not strawman me.

"skinhead woman"
Alrighty.
And you were implying censorship when you said "how come the media is only allowing us to see a select few"

No, I wasn't. That doesn't imply anything.

New Emeline
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:53 pm

Kramanica wrote:
New Emeline wrote:"skinhead woman"
Alrighty.

No, I wasn't. That doesn't imply anything.

To say that they are "allowing" only a select few has the pretty clear implication that they aren't allowing you to see the others.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:55 pm

Kramanica wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

I don't think you're really understanding, well, anything.

The pro-gun students have plenty of outlets which would jump at the chance to tell their story. Hell, Fox News ran with the 'evil CNN put words in my mouth' kid and his dad until they found it was all a hoax.

New Emeline
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:58 pm

I don't think that the opinions of children/teenagers should be held above all others but resorting to insulting and ridiculing them isn't exactly a good look.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:03 pm

New Emeline wrote:I don't think that the opinions of children/teenagers should be held above all others but resorting to insulting and ridiculing them isn't exactly a good look.

Being undeserving of ridicule is a good way not to be ridiculed. Sure, be inspired by your personal experiences- but being ignorant about the very laws you are proposing be changed is exactly worthy of ridicule.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Arengin Union
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Arengin Union » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:10 pm

New Emeline wrote:I don't think that the opinions of children/teenagers should be held above all others but resorting to insulting and ridiculing them isn't exactly a good look.

A lot of pro gun people get insulted and ridiculed on a daily basis by the same people complaining about the people that insult and ridicule these teens that are trying to play policy makers. Politics is a harsh world in which if you piss where people drink they'll shit where you eat. Not that that's okay but it's reality.
"I do as I please"
-King Abraham Markev final words before jumping into a cage to fight a lion.

Proud member of the Federation of Allies

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:19 pm

That's the only way you can defeat people who are run by feels, you hurt their self esteem to the point that they run into a corner crying about their feels. Nothing they suggest is run by reason or logic, they just want to "Feel" safe.
Last edited by The Lone Alliance on Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:21 pm

Makes it hard to tell who are the adults and who are the children.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General