NATION

PASSWORD

Gun Control: Shiny Toy Guns

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Am I Right?

Yeah, mostly, seems agreeable.
22%
Dunno/Not sure/Not American and I think that matters
6%
Nah, you're crazy. Guns should be more restricted.
26%
Nah, you're crazy. Guns should be less restricted.
40%
JC Christ CM come back when the meds wear off
7%

Total votes : 724

Republic of Keshiland
Minister

Founded: Oct 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Keshiland » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:58 am

The Sheika wrote:
Republic of Keshiland wrote:
A country where ever action and spoken word was monitored would be the safest and least crime ridden county in the world. You could still live life normally but all crime would be stoppable before it began.

That is not living. That is the exact opposite of living and a strong example of why the Second Amendment should exist. I get it. You don't like guns; I'd go so far as to say that you hate guns. That's cool. If they aren't for you, then don't get one. Meanwhile, there are better alternatives than an all out ban.

Ill let the gun issue go when we stop having so many shootings.
I am pro-life, anti-gun, pro-immigration, pro UHC, pro-free college, pro universal income, anti-war, anti-death penalty, pro-financial ade, pro anything that makes children's lives better.

I finally realised how messed up English was when I read a sign in French and could comprehend half of it despite never learning any French

Greater Redosia
Minister

Founded: Aug 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Redosia » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:59 am

The Sheika wrote:A statement like that is why people do not take you seriously. I mean, I lean to the left but even I have to stop and think "This has to be a joke". People on both sides of the aisle view "1984" as a warning, not an instruction manual, and definitely not a utopia.

A country where every action and spoken word was monitored would be the safest and least crime ridden county in the world. You could still live life normally but all crime would be stoppable before it began.

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" -Thomas Jefferson 1787
Great, now Jefferson is rolling in his grave. Who will be forced to start twirling in the dirt next? But now back to "gun" control, not "total" control my dear Keshi.
Member of the Cobalt Network
Want to join? Click here!

RPs I'm currently in:

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:01 am

Wysten wrote:If only we could harness the energy of Orwell's spinning body we would not need fossil fuels anymore.

His novel is the type of country I want to recreate maybe make the orwells party. The great Big brother state!

Statements like this are why you'd never get elected if you run for office.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

The Sheika
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 27, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Sheika » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:02 am

Republic of Keshiland wrote:Ill let the gun issue go when we stop having so many shootings.

Well then here is an opportunity to present an idea that does not involve the idea of taking away guns. There are compromises that can be made, so let's see if you can think of one.
Colonel Johnathan "Jack" Austin, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Department of International Affairs
Militaristic Federation of the Sheika
Regional Delegate of Absolution

Republic of Keshiland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Keshiland » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:08 am

The Sheika wrote:
Republic of Keshiland wrote:Ill let the gun issue go when we stop having so many shootings.

Well then here is an opportunity to present an idea that does not involve the idea of taking away guns. There are compromises that can be made, so let's see if you can think of one.

Every "compromise" you guys make its punishment after crime not prevention before crime. Its as simple as this. If my state was allowed to be 100% gun free I would be fine even if in a state next to me there was all out war. Thats how much I want guns to be a states rights issue.
I am pro-life, anti-gun, pro-immigration, pro UHC, pro-free college, pro universal income, anti-war, anti-death penalty, pro-financial ade, pro anything that makes children's lives better.

I finally realised how messed up English was when I read a sign in French and could comprehend half of it despite never learning any French

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:11 am

The Sheika wrote:

Every "compromise" you guys make its punishment after crime not prevention before crime. Its as simple as this. If my state was allowed to be 100% gun free I would be fine even if in a state next to me there was all out war. Thats how much I want guns to be a states rights issue.

But your state will NEVER be 100% gun free, and the right to bear arms ISN'T a states rights issue.
Last edited by Gun Manufacturers on Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

The Sheika
Diplomat

Postby The Sheika » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:12 am

The Sheika wrote:

Yes, most punishments come after a crime has taken place because you can't punish someone for something they haven't done. That's how it works. In regards to prevention, there are plenty of measures that can be taken to help reduce shootings. Regardless of your state being 100% gun free, that is no guarantee of 100% safety. If somebody is truly determined to cause harm to others they will find a way to carry that out no matter where it is. All the more reason why there is a chance of a reasonable compromise being made without the removal of firearms.

Republic of Keshiland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Keshiland » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:13 am

Gun Manufacturers wrote:

But your state will NEVER be 100% gun free, and the right to beaar arms ISN'T a states rights issue.

Guns are not human rights. Every other free nation has no right to own a gun so that says a lot. Why the hell do you care if my state 80% wants guns gone? Mind your own business!

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:15 am

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
But your state will NEVER be 100% gun free, and the right to beaar arms ISN'T a states rights issue.

Guns are not human rights. Every other free nation has no right to own a gun so that says a lot. Why the hell do you care if my state 80% wants guns gone? Mind your own business!

1. No nation except authoritarian North Korea and shitholes in Africa have fully banned guns for civ usage
2. Where the fuck did you get that 80% from?
All shall tremble before me

Wysten
Minister

Founded: Apr 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Wysten » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:15 am

Gun Manufacturers wrote:

>Wants 1984 to happen
>Says mind your own business
Famous qoutes
"Half the battle is fought on the OOC forums"
~ Albert Tzu, 1984
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your signature!
GENERATION 15: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Republic of Keshiland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Keshiland » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:15 am

Hammer Britannia wrote:

1. No nation except authoritarian North Korea and shitholes in Africa have fully banned guns for civ usage

20% or less own guns. 80% do not.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:16 am

The Sheika wrote:

States don't have rights, they have powers. Please see the 10th Amendment.
The other issue is, the states have all ratified the US Constitution as the highest law of the and in the US Constitution, there is the enumeration of the 2nd Amendment, in which is binding upon the states.
Last edited by Grinning Dragon on Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Sheika
Diplomat

Postby The Sheika » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:17 am

Hammer Britannia wrote:1. No nation except authoritarian North Korea and shitholes in Africa have fully banned guns for civ usage

Lack of owning a firearm does not mean hating firearms. You don't have to have a gun to support the Second Amendment.

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:17 am

Hammer Britannia wrote:1. No nation except authoritarian North Korea and shitholes in Africa have fully banned guns for civ usage

Just because someone doesn't own a gun doesn't mean they want them banned
All shall tremble before me

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:20 am

Gun Manufacturers wrote:

You and others keep making this claim as if it matters, the US isn't other countries, other countries isn't the US. In the US, the right to keep and bear arms is a right, that is all that matters in this context.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:20 am

Gun Manufacturers wrote:

Guns are an American right, which is where you (sometimes), my family, and I live. And I have several relatives in Maryland (one of which has a purple heart from his service in the Army during Vietnam, and owns firearms).

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:25 am

Just because they don't own firearms doesn't mean they want them gone. For a long time, I didn't own firearms, but I wasn't anti-gun. My mother doesn't own firearms, but she has no issue with my brother in law, my nephew, and I own them.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:25 am

Republic of Keshiland wrote:Every year everyone who owns a gun or wants to own a gun should be required to go through a house check, online check, and criminal check as well as pass a skills test and written test before getting their license renewed. Refusing to do any one of the 5 results in being barred for the whole year from having a gun refuse twice and it's a lifelong barring. Simple and safer.

Fuck that
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:27 am

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:
If you have nothing to hide you should not only not care about being watched but welcome it. Only those who are breaking the law should fear the government watching them.

Problem: What if "something to hide" becomes "being a critic of the president"? How do you prevent such powers being used to create an Orwellian totalitarian surveillance state?

Don’t worry citizen the thought police will protect you
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:31 am

Wysten wrote:Then you would be arrested for a frivolous report.

Its home invasion if you don't invite them in. So I would be correct I would just be using more tense language then this due is a CC carrier but won't leave me home but is not a dangerous threat. I want the gun owner who was rude enough to come into my house to be afraid when the police show up so they never do it again.

Doesn't work when you invite them over, and you realize halfway after enjoying a movie with your GF that she's retired army and a CC-holder, and that bulge in her pocket ain't cause she's a trap.

She then proceeds to wrestle/cuddle and things get awkward when the police show up after hearing girlish screaming.

Least that's what happens when you start dating the cute ones.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:32 am

Wysten wrote:If only we could harness the energy of Orwell's spinning body we would not need fossil fuels anymore.

His novel is the type of country I want to recreate maybe make the orwells party. The great Big brother state!

Clearly you are joking right?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Republic of Keshiland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Keshiland » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:34 am

Thermodolia wrote:

Clearly you are joking right?

Nope total servaliance for crime would make a country the least crime-ridden country in the world

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:34 am

The Sheika wrote:A statement like that is why people do not take you seriously. I mean, I lean to the left but even I have to stop and think "This has to be a joke". People on both sides of the aisle view "1984" as a warning, not an instruction manual, and definitely not a utopia.

A country where every action and spoken word was monitored would be the safest and least crime ridden county in the world. You could still live life normally but all crime would be stoppable before it began.

“Mr Keshiland you are under arrest for thought crime against the state”
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Wysten
Minister

Founded: Apr 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Wysten » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:34 am

Thermodolia wrote:Clearly you are joking right?

Nope total servaliance for crime would make a country the least crime-ridden country in the world

Big Brother called they want their motives back.
Famous qoutes
"Half the battle is fought on the OOC forums"
~ Albert Tzu, 1984
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your signature!
GENERATION 15: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 25, 2012

Postby Len Hyet » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:35 am

Thermodolia wrote:Clearly you are joking right?

Repeat after me, 1984 was a warning, not an instruction manual
=][= Founder, 1st NSG Irregulars. Our Militia is Well Regulated and Well Lubricated!
On a formerly defunct now re-declared one-man campaign to elevate the discourse of you heathens.
American 2L. No I will not answer your legal question.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General