NATION

PASSWORD

Monarchism Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:29 pm

Principality of the Raix wrote:I am a Monarchist simply due to the history, as we have seen humanity has seated kings only to dethrone and replace them with an heir. While every culture has done this, it only in a degree shows that Monarchy is the base human Government form.

Before their where kings it was all tribes, so obviously that's the base human government. Societal collapse now!!1!
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Principality of the Raix
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Principality of the Raix » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:30 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Principality of the Raix wrote:I am a Monarchist simply due to the history, as we have seen humanity has seated kings only to dethrone and replace them with an heir. While every culture has done this, it only in a degree shows that Monarchy is the base human Government form.

Before their where kings it was all tribes, so obviously that's the base human government. Societal collapse now!!1!

Tribes have chief's which where basically kings, with exception you got a wise women or wise man as council. :unsure:

Edited in: Also tribes chose leaders normally based on the bloodline of the previous chief. Not a new one.
Last edited by Principality of the Raix on Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prince Hildehrand, Principality of the Raix;Technocratic Allied States President.
Technocratic Forum
I do not use NS stats, but I do use Policies due to the Nation's Goals.
Conservative Libertarian Total-Isolationist Nationalist Reactionary
Collectivism score: -67%
Authoritarianism score: -50%
Internationalism score: -83%
Tribalism score: 33%
Liberalism score: -67%

Pro: Pro-Life, Limited Government, 2nd Amendment, 1st Amendment.
Con: Pro-Choice, Communism, Anarchism, Totalitarianism.

United Islamic Commonwealth
Senator

Founded: Mar 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Islamic Commonwealth » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:31 pm

Isn't a tribal system or theocracy closer to the base human government?
The United Islamic Commonwealth | Islamic republic | Factbook
Population: 135,931,000 | Area: 2,663,077 km² | Location: Middle East
Excidium Planetis Index: Tier 6; Level 0; Level 5 | Current year: 2020
Supreme Leader: Abbas Mosuli
President: Haashid al-Abdulla
Former Nizari Ismaili Muslim living in the US.

Fascist Republic of Uzumakistan
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Republic of Uzumakistan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:31 pm

Sovaal wrote:

I wonder why the Kingdom of Italy has been under the rule of Benito Mussolini all this time?

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United Islamic Commonwealth » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:32 pm

Fascist Republic of Uzumakistan wrote:
Sovaal wrote:Before their where kings it was all tribes, so obviously that's the base human government. Societal collapse now!!1!

I wonder why the Kingdom of Italy has been under the rule of Benito Mussolini all this time?

Because Benito used his control of the king as a way to legitimise his power.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:34 pm

Principality of the Raix wrote:
Sovaal wrote:Before their where kings it was all tribes, so obviously that's the base human government. Societal collapse now!!1!

Tribes have chief's which where basically kings, with exception you got a wise women or wise man as council. :unsure:

Edited in: Also tribes chose leaders normally based on the bloodline of the previous chief. Not a new one.

Depends. Chief is a catch all term for tribal leader.

And not always was the position hereditary.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Engleberg
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Engleberg » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:34 pm

United Islamic Commonwealth wrote:One concept that has always been odd to me is elective monarchy. What makes an elective monarchy different from any other elected dictatorship? Most traditional definitions that we are taught in schools hold monarchy as being hereditary.

Well,

1. Monarchies are not dictatorships

2. Elective monarchies are not real monarchies.
Umbrellya wrote:"You are literally the most unashamed German I've ever met."

Wiena wrote:"Engleberg you surely are the most savage guy in the whole game."

West Leas Oros 2 wrote:Anything Left of Center: *exists*
Engle: FUCKING REDS!

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United Islamic Commonwealth » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:36 pm

Engleberg wrote:
United Islamic Commonwealth wrote:One concept that has always been odd to me is elective monarchy. What makes an elective monarchy different from any other elected dictatorship? Most traditional definitions that we are taught in schools hold monarchy as being hereditary.

Well,

How are they not? Encyclopædia Britannica defines dictatorship as "a form of government in which a country or a group of countries is ruled by one person (a dictator) or by a polity, and power (social and political) is exercised through various mechanisms to ensure that the entity's power remains strong." Sounds like a monarchy to me.

Engleberg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Engleberg » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:39 pm

United Islamic Commonwealth wrote:
Engleberg wrote:
Well,

How are they not? Encyclopædia Britannica defines dictatorship as "a form of government in which a country or a group of countries is ruled by one person (a dictator) or by a polity, and power (social and political) is exercised through various mechanisms to ensure that the entity's power remains strong." Sounds like a monarchy to me.

Monarchies are not dictatorships because they are historically and culturally part of a nation. In a monarchy, example the German Empire, the Kaiser was supported in legislation by the Bundesrat and the Reichstag. Generally in a dictatorship, these bodies are often ignored. To respond to the latter part of that quote: "...various mechanisms to ensure that the entity's power remains strong...," one could say democracies are dictatorships as well through their usage of keeping the democratic government's power strong against attempts to remove it.

Principality of the Raix
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Principality of the Raix » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:40 pm

Engleberg wrote:

Well,

Well Monarchies can turn into Dictatorships, however by that thought so can any other form of Government. However, I completely agree in this matter seeing as Monarchy is about Blood, not election. Unless you are choosing between heir's, which normally is civil war as far as the election process. :lol2:
Prince Hildehrand, Principality of the Raix;Technocratic Allied States President.
Technocratic Forum

Kanadorika
Minister

Founded: May 04, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kanadorika » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:43 pm

A large benefit of hereditary Monarchies is that special interests cannot buy the top position in the country. The corporate elite and aristocracy are under the total control of the monarch, who can protect the people from finnancial domination.

Also, the heir to the trone is born and raised to rule, surrounded by some of the best thinkers, artists, and leaders in the world. The heir not only inherits the crown, but the traditions, customs, and values held by the previous monarch as they are family traditions.
☠ JOIN ETHARIA. I'M NO LONGER ASKING ☠
Almost exclusively on discord these days. Everything here is outdated.
Welcome to Kanadorika! From the Arctic tundra of Leirhofn to the sandy dunes of Gulland, we have it all.
Treko wrote:"You look Kanadorikan! The women are usually tall with big breasts! you fit that description."

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Republic of Uzumakistan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:43 pm

Principality of the Raix wrote:
Engleberg wrote:
Well,

Well Monarchies can turn into Dictatorships, however by that thought so can any other form of Government. However, I completely agree in this matter seeing as Monarchy is about Blood, not election. Unless you are choosing between heir's, which normally is civil war as far as the election process. :lol2:

For example, the Republic of Venice?

New Greater Netherlands
Envoy

Founded: Feb 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Greater Netherlands » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:44 pm

Engleberg wrote:
Well,

You are sooo wrong: A monarchy is a form of government in which a group, generally a family representing a dynasty, embodies the country's national identity and its head, the monarch, exercises the role of sovereignty. The actual power of the monarch may vary from purely symbolic (crowned republic), to partial and restricted (constitutional monarchy), to completely autocratic (absolute monarchy). Traditionally the monarch's post is inherited and lasts until death or abdication. In contrast, elective monarchies require the monarch to be elected. Both types have further variations as there are widely divergent structures and traditions defining monarchy. For example, in some elected monarchies only pedigrees are taken into account for eligibility of the next ruler, whereas many hereditary monarchies impose requirements regarding the religion, age, gender, mental capacity, etc. Occasionally this might create a situation of rival claimants whose legitimacy is subject to effective election. There have been cases where the term of a monarch's reign is either fixed in years or continues until certain goals are achieved: an invasion being repulsed, for instance.

Monarchic rule was the most common form of government until the 19th century. It is now usually a constitutional monarchy, in which the monarch retains a unique legal and ceremonial role, but exercises limited or no official political power: under the written or unwritten constitution, others have governing authority. Currently, 45 sovereign nations in the world have monarchs acting as heads of state, 16 of which are Commonwealth realms that recognise Queen Elizabeth II as their head of state. Most modern European monarchies are constitutional and hereditary with a largely ceremonial role, with the exception of the Vatican which is an elective theocracy and the Principalities of Liechtenstein and Monaco where the monarchs exercise unrestricted authority. The monarchies of Cambodia and Malaysia are constitutional with a largely ceremonial role, despite possessing significantly more social and legal clout than their European counterparts. The monarchs of Brunei, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Swaziland have more political influence than any other single source of authority in their nations, either by tradition or a constitutional mandate.

And:

Dictatorship is a form of government in which a country or a group of countries is ruled by one person (a dictator) or by a polity, and power (social and political) is exercised through various mechanisms to ensure that the entity's power remains strong.

A dictatorship is a type of authoritarianism, in which politicians regulate nearly every aspect of the public and private behavior of citizens. Dictatorship and totalitarian societies generally employ political propaganda to decrease the influence of proponents of alternative governing systems. In the past, different religious tactics were used by dictators to maintain their rule, such as the monarchical system in the west.

In the 19th and 20th centuries, traditional monarchies gradually declined and disappeared. Dictatorship and constitutional democracy emerged as the world's two major forms of government.
And a Dictatorship is from a Republican origin, like most dictators hated the monarchy and anyone who was against the government
Name: Dave Hagen
Born: February 17, 1997
Political orientation: Conservative
Religion: Christianity (Protestant)

Current date: 1 augustus 1918
De Telegraaf: In Brussels there were violent protests against the current government and against the Christian Conservative policy between 19:00 and 21:30. Minister of the Belgian States Kees van der Staaij says he wants to have a talk with the rebels, since this has to be arranged through the House of Representatives and / or the King (with other officials: The Ministers have little to say) van der Staaij  is going to have between 23:00 and 4:00 a debate in the Lower House with Minister-President Dave Hagen and the other Political Parties

Engleberg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Engleberg » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:44 pm

Kanadorika wrote:A large benefit of hereditary Monarchies is that special interests cannot buy the top position in the country. The corporate elite and aristocracy are under the total control of the monarch, who can protect the people from finnancial domination.

Also, the heir to the trone is born and raised to rule, surrounded by some of the best thinkers, artists, and leaders in the world. The heir not only inherits the crown, but the traditions, customs, and values held by the previous monarch as they are family traditions.

Your latter statement is exactly what I use against those who state that a monarch "simply inherits the position without any knowledge of leading."

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United Islamic Commonwealth » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:46 pm

Engleberg wrote:
United Islamic Commonwealth wrote:How are they not? Encyclopædia Britannica defines dictatorship as "a form of government in which a country or a group of countries is ruled by one person (a dictator) or by a polity, and power (social and political) is exercised through various mechanisms to ensure that the entity's power remains strong." Sounds like a monarchy to me.

Monarchies are not dictatorships because they are historically and culturally part of a nation. In a monarchy, example the German Empire, the Kaiser was supported in legislation by the Bundesrat and the Reichstag. Generally in a dictatorship, these bodies are often ignored. To respond to the latter part of that quote: "...various mechanisms to ensure that the entity's power remains strong...," one could say democracies are dictatorships as well through their usage of keeping the democratic government's power strong against attempts to remove it.

Interesting. So, it is dependent upon whether that country has a history of monarchs to determine if it is a monarchy or dictatorship? Would that make the DPRK a monarchy and not a dictatorship? It has passed down a hereditary line and Korea had a monarchy for millennia. And to Germany's Reichstag, they have the Supreme People's Assembly. To your Bundesrat, they have the State Affairs Commission.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Republic of Uzumakistan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:46 pm

Engleberg wrote:
Kanadorika wrote:A large benefit of hereditary Monarchies is that special interests cannot buy the top position in the country. The corporate elite and aristocracy are under the total control of the monarch, who can protect the people from finnancial domination.

Your latter statement is exactly what I use against those who state that a monarch "simply inherits the position without any knowledge of leading."

Quick question, what happened to Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany?

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby United Islamic Commonwealth » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:47 pm

New Greater Netherlands wrote:
United Islamic Commonwealth wrote:How are they not? Encyclopædia Britannica defines dictatorship as "a form of government in which a country or a group of countries is ruled by one person (a dictator) or by a polity, and power (social and political) is exercised through various mechanisms to ensure that the entity's power remains strong." Sounds like a monarchy to me.

You are sooo wrong: A monarchy is a form of government in which a group, generally a family representing a dynasty, embodies the country's national identity and its head, the monarch, exercises the role of sovereignty. The actual power of the monarch may vary from purely symbolic (crowned republic), to partial and restricted (constitutional monarchy), to completely autocratic (absolute monarchy). Traditionally the monarch's post is inherited and lasts until death or abdication. In contrast, elective monarchies require the monarch to be elected. Both types have further variations as there are widely divergent structures and traditions defining monarchy. For example, in some elected monarchies only pedigrees are taken into account for eligibility of the next ruler, whereas many hereditary monarchies impose requirements regarding the religion, age, gender, mental capacity, etc. Occasionally this might create a situation of rival claimants whose legitimacy is subject to effective election. There have been cases where the term of a monarch's reign is either fixed in years or continues until certain goals are achieved: an invasion being repulsed, for instance.

Monarchic rule was the most common form of government until the 19th century. It is now usually a constitutional monarchy, in which the monarch retains a unique legal and ceremonial role, but exercises limited or no official political power: under the written or unwritten constitution, others have governing authority. Currently, 45 sovereign nations in the world have monarchs acting as heads of state, 16 of which are Commonwealth realms that recognise Queen Elizabeth II as their head of state. Most modern European monarchies are constitutional and hereditary with a largely ceremonial role, with the exception of the Vatican which is an elective theocracy and the Principalities of Liechtenstein and Monaco where the monarchs exercise unrestricted authority. The monarchies of Cambodia and Malaysia are constitutional with a largely ceremonial role, despite possessing significantly more social and legal clout than their European counterparts. The monarchs of Brunei, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Swaziland have more political influence than any other single source of authority in their nations, either by tradition or a constitutional mandate.

And:

Dictatorship is a form of government in which a country or a group of countries is ruled by one person (a dictator) or by a polity, and power (social and political) is exercised through various mechanisms to ensure that the entity's power remains strong.

A dictatorship is a type of authoritarianism, in which politicians regulate nearly every aspect of the public and private behavior of citizens. Dictatorship and totalitarian societies generally employ political propaganda to decrease the influence of proponents of alternative governing systems. In the past, different religious tactics were used by dictators to maintain their rule, such as the monarchical system in the west.

In the 19th and 20th centuries, traditional monarchies gradually declined and disappeared. Dictatorship and constitutional democracy emerged as the world's two major forms of government.
And a Dictatorship is from a Republican origin, like most dictators hated the monarchy and anyone who was against the government

Uh... What was the purpose here? I simply quoted a definition from the Encyclopædia Britannica. No one asked for a copy and pasted essay, mate.

Engleberg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Engleberg » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:48 pm

Fascist Republic of Uzumakistan wrote:
Engleberg wrote:

Quick question, what happened to Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany?

Wilhelm abdicated and fled to the Netherlands, where he lived in exile until 1941. The Queen of the Netherlands denied to give him to the Allies, who wished to put him on trial as a "war criminal" (what irony there). From then on, he remarried and then lived quietly. When the Netherlands was invaded by Nazi Germany, the Nazis did not do much with him other than giving him guards. He was hoping that when the Nazis came to power they would put him back on the throne, but that didn't happen. He also specifically asked for there not to be any swastikas at his funeral, but they also didn't listen.
Last edited by Engleberg on Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Principality of the Raix
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Principality of the Raix » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:49 pm

Engleberg wrote:

Interesting. So, it is dependent upon whether that country has a history of monarchs to determine if it is a monarchy or dictatorship? Would that make the DPRK a monarchy and not a dictatorship? It has passed down a hereditary line and Korea had a monarchy for millennia. And to Germany's Reichstag, they have the Supreme People's Assembly. To your Bundesrat, they have the State Affairs Commission.

Well as far as the DPRK, yes in a form. Sadly, this is a correct assumption. Even though Korea before all the division was a lot better then after. While same with Germany, seeing as they were a Monarchy before becoming well what they are now.
Technocratic Forum

New Greater Netherlands
Envoy

Founded: Feb 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Greater Netherlands » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:49 pm

New Greater Netherlands wrote:

And:

Uh... What was the purpose here? I simply quoted a definition from the Encyclopædia Britannica. No one asked for a copy and pasted essay, mate.

Wikipedia tells the truth, and i decide if i want to copy and paste or not
Name: Dave Hagen
Born: February 17, 1997
Political orientation: Conservative
Religion: Christianity (Protestant)

Current date: 1 augustus 1918
De Telegraaf: In Brussels there were violent protests against the current government and against the Christian Conservative policy between 19:00 and 21:30. Minister of the Belgian States Kees van der Staaij says he wants to have a talk with the rebels, since this has to be arranged through the House of Representatives and / or the King (with other officials: The Ministers have little to say) van der Staaij  is going to have between 23:00 and 4:00 a debate in the Lower House with Minister-President Dave Hagen and the other Political Parties

Kanadorika
Minister

Founded: May 04, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kanadorika » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:50 pm

Engleberg wrote:

Exactly. They spend their entire childhood and young adult lives preparing the rule their subjects. Monarchs are physical manifestations of a nation's history and culture. They do not chose to rule, but are selected from birth to inherit the crown.

Whereas politicians in a republic must secure votes and money to campaign and win office, a monarch has no such restrictions. He/she owes no favors to special interest groups.
☠ JOIN ETHARIA. I'M NO LONGER ASKING ☠
Almost exclusively on discord these days. Everything here is outdated.
Welcome to Kanadorika! From the Arctic tundra of Leirhofn to the sandy dunes of Gulland, we have it all.
Treko wrote:"You look Kanadorikan! The women are usually tall with big breasts! you fit that description."

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Republic of Uzumakistan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:50 pm

Engleberg wrote:
Fascist Republic of Uzumakistan wrote:Quick question, what happened to Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany?

Wilhelm abdicated and fled to the Netherlands, where he lived in exile until 1941. The Queen of the Netherlands denied to give him to the Allies, who wished to put him on trial as a "war criminal" (what irony there). From then on, he remarried and then lived quietly. When the Netherlands was invaded by Nazi Germany, the Nazis did not do much with him other than giving him guards. He was hoping that when the Nazis came to power they would put him back on the throne, but that didn't happen. He also specifically asked for there not to be any swastikas at his funeral, but they also didn't listen.

Did he have children after that?

The Portland Territory
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Portland Territory » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:51 pm

Hm, this has surprisingly lasted long. So, hello comrades
Korwin-Mikke 2020
Տխերք հավակեկ բոզերա. Կոոնել կոոնելով Արաչ ենկ երտոոմ մինչեվ Բակու

16 year old Monarchist from Rhode Island. Interested in economics, governance, metaphysical philosophy, European + Near Eastern history, vexillology, faith, hunting, automotive, ranching, science fiction, music, and anime.

Pro: Absolute Monarchy, Lex Rex, Subsidiarity, Guild Capitalism, Property Rights, Tridentine Catholicism, Unlimited Gun Rights, Hierarchy, Traditionalism, Ethnic Nationalism, Irredentism
Mixed: Fascism, Anarcho Capitalism, Donald Trump
Against: Democracy/ Democratic Republicanism, Egalitarianism, Direct Taxation, Cultural Marxism, Redistribution of Wealth

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:51 pm

Shofercia wrote:Question to the Monarchists: how do you deal with an inept King coming to power? How do you prevent that?

Surprisingly enough this has happened in the past few thousand years we've had monarchy.

You get them to abdicate, usually in favor of another family member.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Engleberg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Engleberg » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:51 pm

Engleberg wrote:

As New Greater Netherlands stated, monarchies and dictatorships are not linked. the DPRK is a dictatorship that uses a hereditary method of passing along power, which is similar to Haiti and some African dictatorships.

Korea had a monarchy, which was eliminated by Japan. Therefore, neither Koreas are similar to a monarchy and the DPRK cannot be considered one because Korea's cultural history of monarchism has been destroyed.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General