NATION

PASSWORD

Should Humanity expand to the Stars? II

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should Humanity Expand to the Stars?

YES!!! STAR WARS!!! STAR TREK!!!!
42%
NO!!
3%
Eh. I don't care.
1%
Let's just start with our solar system.
51%
Waste of money.
3%

Total votes : 71

Equality of Nations
Attaché

Founded: Nov 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Equality of Nations » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:39 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:I'm not sure how you get from 1 to "functionally infinite resources on earth", because as you say, that's not sufficient... but is the status quo here on Earth. Other than things we've shot into space and materials we've transmuted in fission reactors, everthing that started on Earth is still here. (Other than quibbles about natural fluxes involving incoming comets, etc.)

Nor are those the only choices, as you say. A colony could import materials to meet growth, which may or may not be regular, or to meet increased demand on the same basis.

Moreover, Earth's gravity well is the big one we worry about. Importing materials from the Moon is (on a potential energy basis) much easier. But that's not such a big deal, since one reason people are seriously considering expanding into the solar system is to import materials from elsewhere (asteroidal platinum-group elements, for example). So, in that sense, an O'Niell colony is no worse than living on the ground. "Close enough" recycling, plus imports to meet population growth and increasing material wealth may be good enough.

As you may notice, we are exhausting resources on earth. That is not an option in space. The moon has shit all resources of use. It's either Earth or Mars for most things.

We need to make use of our resources more efficiently. Because otherwise, we will devour our solar system and isolate ourselves in it. Even space can't have enough resources if we keep on wasting our resources and also overpopulate our planet.
War, can only be the last course of action.
-The Great Thinking Person-

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:11 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:I'm not sure how you get from 1 to "functionally infinite resources on earth", because as you say, that's not sufficient... but is the status quo here on Earth. Other than things we've shot into space and materials we've transmuted in fission reactors, everthing that started on Earth is still here. (Other than quibbles about natural fluxes involving incoming comets, etc.)

Nor are those the only choices, as you say. A colony could import materials to meet growth, which may or may not be regular, or to meet increased demand on the same basis.

Moreover, Earth's gravity well is the big one we worry about. Importing materials from the Moon is (on a potential energy basis) much easier. But that's not such a big deal, since one reason people are seriously considering expanding into the solar system is to import materials from elsewhere (asteroidal platinum-group elements, for example). So, in that sense, an O'Niell colony is no worse than living on the ground. "Close enough" recycling, plus imports to meet population growth and increasing material wealth may be good enough.

As you may notice, we are exhausting resources on earth. That is not an option in space. The moon has shit all resources of use. It's either Earth or Mars for most things.

I'm just going to put my entire response here. Because you seem to be arguing from a severe misunderstanding.

The Earth is a tiny percentage of the mass of the solar system. And in fact, for many elements the Earth is actually a pretty poor source. Your average asteroid has orders of magnitude higher percentage of most metals than the Earth's crust. The Lunar regolith is very rich in aluminum, iron, silicates, and potassium, and also offers one of the only non-gas giant means of harvesting significant quantities of Helium-3, which is highly attractive for its role in aneutronic fusion. Lunar craters hold significant water ice, as do many asteroids.

It can be found in space. And when you're dealing with low gravity, air-less moons and asteroids, transit costs are tiny compared to crawling out of the Earth's gravity well.

Living in space, and harvesting the resources, both in terms of minerals as well as volatiles necessary for sustaining organic biochemistry is feasible with current technology. The problem has always been getting to space.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:54 am

Trotskylvania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

I'm just going to put my entire response here. Because you seem to be arguing from a severe misunderstanding.

The Earth is a tiny percentage of the mass of the solar system. And in fact, for many elements the Earth is actually a pretty poor source. Your average asteroid has orders of magnitude higher percentage of most metals than the Earth's crust. The Lunar regolith is very rich in aluminum, iron, silicates, and potassium, and also offers one of the only non-gas giant means of harvesting significant quantities of Helium-3, which is highly attractive for its role in aneutronic fusion. Lunar craters hold significant water ice, as do many asteroids.

It can be found in space. And when you're dealing with low gravity, air-less moons and asteroids, transit costs are tiny compared to crawling out of the Earth's gravity well.

Living in space, and harvesting the resources, both in terms of minerals as well as volatiles necessary for sustaining organic biochemistry is feasible with current technology. The problem has always been getting to space.

I note how you listed literally zero of the resources that we discussed.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Founded: Mar 31, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:26 am

Just heard that the US’ space agencies are going back to the Moon. So excited for what’s going to happen. I guess that’s one step to the future.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:01 am

Equality of Nations wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

We need to make use of our resources more efficiently. Because otherwise, we will devour our solar system and isolate ourselves in it. Even space can't have enough resources if we keep on wasting our resources and also overpopulate our planet.

The asteroid belt has more resources then we could use in thousands of years. Space is a big place with a lot of stuff in it. Hell, a single asteroid would have more metals than we've ever mined on earth in hisotry.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:09 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:I'm just going to put my entire response here. Because you seem to be arguing from a severe misunderstanding.

You never listed any resources. You just talked about "resources" from an unwarranted position of superiority. Any base element that can be found on Earth can be found on asteroids or the moon. From there, it's just a matter of chemistry to make what we need to support life in space.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:29 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

You never listed any resources. You just talked about "resources" from an unwarranted position of superiority. Any base element that can be found on Earth can be found on asteroids or the moon. From there, it's just a matter of chemistry to make what we need to support life in space.

You did. And if we have a molecular assembler, then we are again already living in a science fiction utopia, so reality does not apply.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Ashlak
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 29, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashlak » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:34 pm

I very much think we should. I love the idea of humanity terraforming and colonizing barren planets.
I am a girl of the transgender variety

The Ides of March
Secretary

Founded: Dec 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ides of March » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Humanity should expand its technological and scientific capabilities for the betterment of our societies. Does expanding to the stars seem like a way to solve humanity's problems at this moment? It does not. So, no.
"I sell syndicalism and syndicalism accessories"

Equality of Nations
Attaché

Founded: Nov 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Equality of Nations » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Equality of Nations wrote:We need to make use of our resources more efficiently. Because otherwise, we will devour our solar system and isolate ourselves in it. Even space can't have enough resources if we keep on wasting our resources and also overpopulate our planet.

The asteroid belt has more resources then we could use in thousands of years. Space is a big place with a lot of stuff in it. Hell, a single asteroid would have more metals than we've ever mined on earth in hisotry.

You may be right. But, to increase our chances of discovering a way for a rapid interstellar transportation, i think we still need to use our resources more efficiently.
War, can only be the last course of action.
-The Great Thinking Person-

Sernarbia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sernarbia » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:44 pm

The Ides of March wrote:Humanity should expand its technological and scientific capabilities for the betterment of our societies. Does expanding to the stars seem like a way to solve humanity's problems at this moment? It does not. So, no.

Because humanity cant multitask. :roll:

The Ides of March
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby The Ides of March » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:49 pm

Sernarbia wrote:
The Ides of March wrote:Humanity should expand its technological and scientific capabilities for the betterment of our societies. Does expanding to the stars seem like a way to solve humanity's problems at this moment? It does not. So, no.

I couldn't care less if it can multitask or not, if something is not beneficial in a great degree to the betterment of society and uses wealth and strength that could be used for that purpose then I think it is just a petty wet dream of a select few and not what truly has the interests of humanity at mind ...try first ending world hunger and then begin expanding to the stars.

Balucistan
Civilian

Ex-Nation

Postby Balucistan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:50 pm

It makes sense, earth won’t last forever. We just don’t have the tech yet.

The Ides of March
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby The Ides of March » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:51 pm

Balucistan wrote:It makes sense, earth won’t last forever. We just don’t have the tech yet.

Earth will last longer than humanity. Besides, it's in our hands to sustain earth's habitability for as long as we want.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:53 pm

The Ides of March wrote:
Balucistan wrote:It makes sense, earth won’t last forever. We just don’t have the tech yet.

Earth will last longer than humanity. Besides, it's in our hands to sustain earth's habitability for as long as we want.

This is pretty much true. Especially if fusion power ever pans out. Still there is no good reason not to also expand into space if for no other reason than the abundance of resources up there that would allow us to turn Earth into a paradise where everyone is rich or, if you want to go all out, move the population into paradise like space habitats and turn the entire planet into a giant national park.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:54 pm

We have to. Our resources will be stretched to the limit, or even over-stretched in the future. And not enough for everyone.

Well, I guess we need to make more funds for space agencies to calculate the nearest, most survivable planet and equipped the astronauts with the technologies necessary to make the planet survivable and hospitable for humanity. Considering we already have the tech to send astronauts and let them walk on the Moon, it's not far-fetched to assume we can have the same tech in the 2020s, but more advanced.
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

So Covenant declare a crusade and then wage jihad? :p

The Ides of March
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby The Ides of March » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:00 pm

Purpelia wrote:
The Ides of March wrote:Earth will last longer than humanity. Besides, it's in our hands to sustain earth's habitability for as long as we want.

This is pretty much true. Especially if fusion power ever pans out. Still there is no good reason not to also expand into space if for no other reason than the abundance of resources up there that would allow us to turn Earth into a paradise where everyone is rich or, if you want to go all out, move the population into paradise like space habitats and turn the entire planet into a giant national park.

And I'm wholeheartedly in favour of that endeavour ..perhaps even turning our nice moon into a gigantic industrial area and keeping our Earth a pure agrarian world. But these endeavors are far ahead of us and not what we should strive for at the moment.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:02 pm

The Ides of March wrote:
Purpelia wrote:This is pretty much true. Especially if fusion power ever pans out. Still there is no good reason not to also expand into space if for no other reason than the abundance of resources up there that would allow us to turn Earth into a paradise where everyone is rich or, if you want to go all out, move the population into paradise like space habitats and turn the entire planet into a giant national park.

And I'm wholeheartedly in favour of that endeavour ..perhaps even turning our nice moon into a gigantic industrial area and keeping our Earth a pure agrarian world. But these endeavors are far ahead of us and not what we should strive for at the moment.

What we should strive on, then?

Also, great flag. Kaiserreich replaced it, though.
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

So Covenant declare a crusade and then wage jihad? :p

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:05 pm

The Ides of March wrote:
Sernarbia wrote:

I couldn't care less if it can multitask or not, if something is not beneficial in a great degree to the betterment of society and uses wealth and strength that could be used for that purpose then I think it is just a petty wet dream of a select few and not what truly has the interests of humanity at mind ...try first ending world hunger and then begin expanding to the stars.

It advances a variety of technology in a variety of ways, and has a net economic benefit to the nation operating the space program. So yes, space programs are beneficial.

And solving world hunger is a meme.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

The Ides of March
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby The Ides of March » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:09 pm

The Ides of March wrote:And I'm wholeheartedly in favour of that endeavour ..perhaps even turning our nice moon into a gigantic industrial area and keeping our Earth a pure agrarian world. But these endeavors are far ahead of us and not what we should strive for at the moment.

What we should strive on, then?

Also, great flag. Kaiserreich replaced it, though.

Creating an energy source that could be shared by the people like Tesla intended? Ending world hunger perhaps? Now these are something science could help solve instead of dreaming about the stars and spending millions on.

The Ides of March
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby The Ides of March » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:11 pm

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
The Ides of March wrote:I couldn't care less if it can multitask or not, if something is not beneficial in a great degree to the betterment of society and uses wealth and strength that could be used for that purpose then I think it is just a petty wet dream of a select few and not what truly has the interests of humanity at mind ...try first ending world hunger and then begin expanding to the stars.

It advances a variety of technology in a variety of ways, and has a net economic benefit to the nation operating the space program. So yes, space programs are beneficial.

I do not really care about the nations operating those space programmes as I do not consider them responsible guides of our societies.

To someone who has never experienced it perhaps it is.

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:18 pm

The Ides of March wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:

I do not really care about the nations operating those space programmes as I do not consider them responsible guides of our societies.

You know every significant nation on earth has a space program, right? So who do you consider as "responsible guides"?

And you've experienced it, right? :roll:

Solving world hunger is the meme, like curing cancer.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:18 pm

Equality of Nations wrote:
Sovaal wrote:The asteroid belt has more resources then we could use in thousands of years. Space is a big place with a lot of stuff in it. Hell, a single asteroid would have more metals than we've ever mined on earth in hisotry.

You may be right. But, to increase our chances of discovering a way for a rapid interstellar transportation, i think we still need to use our resources more efficiently.

And how do you do that if you have no idea as to what the hell youre doing?
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

The Ides of March
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby The Ides of March » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
The Ides of March wrote:I do not really care about the nations operating those space programmes as I do not consider them responsible guides of our societies.

You know every significant nation on earth has a space program, right? So who do you consider as "responsible guides"?

And you've experienced it, right? :roll:

Solving world hunger is the meme, like curing cancer.

The people themselves free of nations and corporations. That's who I consider a responsible guide. You might say that we live in democracies ..but do you really think you're in control of what your government does? These are fake democracies all of them aimed to manipulate the people.

Coming from a poor family I have experienced times that food was rather scarce, of course living in a semi-western nation I never experienced what millions do.
Also, Unlike cancer, world hunger is merely a matter of how the wealth and production of Earth is shared ..hundreds of tons of food are thrown away everyday in the Western World, whereas people cannot have proper diets in many parts of the undeveloped world. If we shared, it could be solved, unlike cancer, which is a medical problem involving scientific research.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:21 pm

Bluelight-R006 wrote:Just heard that the US’ space agencies are going back to the Moon. So excited for what’s going to happen. I guess that’s one step to the future.

Where did you hear that? If it's true, that is probably one of the coolest things that could happen in my lifetime.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General