NATION

PASSWORD

Should Humanity expand to the Stars? II

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should Humanity Expand to the Stars?

YES!!! STAR WARS!!! STAR TREK!!!!
42%
NO!!
3%
Eh. I don't care.
1%
Let's just start with our solar system.
51%
Waste of money.
3%

Total votes : 71

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:41 am

This should have a poll.
Are use voice to text, so accept some typos and Grammatical errors.
I'm a moderate free-market Libertarian boomer with a soft spot for Agorism. Also an Atheist.

I try not to do these or have those. Feel free to let me know if I come short.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:44 am

Vovodoco wrote:This should have a poll.

That's a good idea, but I have no idea how to do a poll.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Founded: Mar 31, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:40 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:

That's a good idea, but I have no idea how to do a poll.

Go and edit your first post on this thread (starter post) and you should see a option below the ‘type in message’ table to create a poll. If you don’t see it, it’s okay. You don’t have to make one.

The Federal Kingdom Of Zuhi wrote:If we can stop destroying this one, of course.

Good news is that nations are attempting to reverse the current effects of the planet such as Global Warming and Climate Change. Bad news is that we’re still doing what causes the effects. We can only hope the future is better than now.

Equality of Nations
Attaché

Founded: Nov 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Equality of Nations » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:04 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:This is a reboot of an old thread I created that was locked for not having a long enough OP.
Ok. Here we go.
Humanity needs to expand to the stars. If we don't, we're going to probably die out. Whether it's through nuclear war, or famine or disease, or whatever. Should we focus on developing FTL, or something else, like launching ships with the crew all in stasis towards a far star, or something along those lines. Currently, we have all our eggs in one basket, so to speak. A single war could wipe us out. Or an outbreak of disease. In my opinion, the only direction we can go is up. What do you guys think about this? What do you guys think we should do?
Just as a reminder, no flaming or trolling.

We won't die if we decided not to expand. We will only die if we weren't able to keep our planet secure from the effects of the sun, meteors, runaway moons, planets and such. And also from our own stupidity of course.

FTL won't help save us from ourselves. It might only allow the opposing parties to put some distance between one another but unless Earth is destroyed, nobody will want to leave it behind.

Launching colonization missions to distant starts will be extremely risky. Because the light we receive is showing us that distant stars past. There's no way of knowing if that system can still support human life. Because of this, i think we should develop our own solar system first and leave distant colonization missions for later. The very first thing that we must do is to figure out how we can advance scientifically without harming our planet and our kind.
War, can only be the last course of action.
-The Great Thinking Person-

Vyzhva
Envoy

Founded: Aug 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Vyzhva » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:15 am

I say we explore our planet to the fullest before we start to look elsewhere, but sure, limited space exploration is acceptable in my eyes.
vyzhva // steppe nazbols
disregard forum posts made prior to 19/11/2019

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:19 am

And one of the options needs to relate t9 David Hasselhoff.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:20 am

Bluelight-R006 wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:That's a good idea, but I have no idea how to do a poll.

Go and edit your first post on this thread (starter post) and you should see a option below the ‘type in message’ table to create a poll. If you don’t see it, it’s okay. You don’t have to make one.

Thanks.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:12 pm

Bluelight-R006 wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Why is he so obsessed with mars...what's up there he's not telling us about?

Titan isn’t good and Venus is just... well, bad.

The first one was too cold, and the second was too hot, but the third planet was just right. :P

Bluelight-R006 wrote:Mars is more suitable than any other planets in the Solar System except Earth.

I suppose that depends on what you mean by "suitable". There's a bunch of tradeoffs depending on why one is living there.

For example, one can't live on the surface of either the Moon or Mars because of the radiation load.* Alas, no domed cities! Both have ores of value on Earth. Mars has a trace of an atmosphere, which is both good and bad relative to the Moon: protection from micrometeorites, but more annoying landings and launches. The Moon is a lot closer and has lower gravity than Mars, both of which are good or bad depending on why people are there. Etc, etc.

*: If you want to live in the open and like nifty things in the sky, try Ganymede. It has its own magnetic field, so it's shielded from both cosmic rays and Jupiter's exciting radiation belts. And for a added bonus, Jupiter fills a big hunk of the sky, so you watch the pretty weather change! :) It's not clear why people would live there, though.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:16 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Bluelight-R006 wrote:Titan isn’t good and Venus is just... well, bad.

The first one was too cold, and the second was too hot, but the third planet was just right. :P

Bluelight-R006 wrote:Mars is more suitable than any other planets in the Solar System except Earth.

I suppose that depends on what you mean by "suitable". There's a bunch of tradeoffs depending on why one is living there.

For example, one can't live on the surface of either the Moon or Mars because of the radiation load.* Alas, no domed cities! Both have ores of value on Earth. Mars has a trace of an atmosphere, which is both good and bad relative to the Moon: protection from micrometeorites, but more annoying landings and launches. The Moon is a lot closer and has lower gravity than Mars, both of which are good or bad depending on why people are there. Etc, etc.

*: If you want to live in the open and like nifty things in the sky, try Ganymede. It has its own magnetic field, so it's shielded from both cosmic rays and Jupiter's exciting radiation belts. And for a added bonus, Jupiter fills a big hunk of the sky, so you watch the pretty weather change! :) It's not clear why people would live there, though.

Io could be used for thermal power. Europa supposedly has an ocean under the ice. I dunno about Callisto or Ceres.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

The Greater Siriusian Domain
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:16 pm

I do believe that we should expand to the stars eventually... but that's running before we can walk, and on top of that we've yet to even crawl. Let's start with a sustainable outpost on the moon first, then work our way up to planets within our own solar system. By the time we run out of places to colonize here, we'll probably already have a method of FTL travel whether it involves warping space and time or taking shortcuts.
"For a mind so determined to reach the sky, on the wings of a dream!" - Sanctity, Zeppo
This nation's factbook supersedes NS stats and issues, but does not completely replace them. If there is a conflict, the Factbook is correct.

Isentran has been DENOUNCED for proposing legislation that would destroy the economy of the Greater Siriusian Domain
The Greater Siriusian Domain is a borderline Class Z9 Civilization according to this scale

Primary Ambassador: Teran Saber, Male Siriusian. Snarky, slightly arrogant.
Substitute Ambassador: Ra'lingth, Male En'gari. Speaks with emphasized "s" sounds.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:18 pm

The Greater Siriusian Domain wrote:I do believe that we should expand to the stars eventually... but that's running before we can walk, and on top of that we've yet to even crawl. Let's start with a sustainable outpost on the moon first, then work our way up to planets within our own solar system. By the time we run out of places to colonize here, we'll probably already have a method of FTL travel whether it involves warping space and time or taking shortcuts.

I think that this thread came to a consensus that something along those lines is our best option.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Exogenous Imperium
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 22, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Exogenous Imperium » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:27 pm

Salandriagado wrote:Which means you can never, ever, stop living cooped up in a tin. That is not good for people's mental health.

I don't think you understand the proposed scale of these rotating habitats. There could well be nothing above the inhabitants heads. If you are going to convince people to leave and go and live somewhere else then that place will need to be at least as comfortable and spacious as the surface of planet Earth.

Salandriagado wrote:The problem is that it puts much larger stress loads on just about everything. And also the above-mentioned issue about mental health.

Advanced engineering techniques will be used to cope with material stress on the station.

Salandriagado wrote:Unless your space stations, as a whole, are entirely self-sufficient, you're gonna have to drag something up those gravity wells on a regular basis, and that's stupid expensive. If they are entirely self-sufficient, then... well, quite frankly, if we could do that, we'd have already fixed almost all of the problems with earth that we're setting these things up to get away from in the first place.

Yes, you want to avoid building stuff inside of deep gravity wells. You want to build either entirely outside of such a well like on an asteroid, comet or micro-moon or inside of a smaller gravity well like the Earth's moon or on mercury. Material goods can be shipped or just flung through space between the planets and space stations.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:52 pm

Exogenous Imperium wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:Which means you can never, ever, stop living cooped up in a tin. That is not good for people's mental health.

I don't think you understand the proposed scale of these rotating habitats.

@Salandriagado, take a look at the Wakipedia page for O'Neill cylinders:
A bunch of anonymous random people on the Internet wrote:An O'Neill cylinder would consist of two counter-rotating cylinders. The cylinders would rotate in opposite directions in order to cancel out any gyroscopic effects that would otherwise make it difficult to keep them aimed toward the Sun. Each would be 5 miles (8.0 km) in diameter and 20 miles (32 km) long, connected at each end by a rod via a bearing system. They would rotate so as to provide artificial gravity via centrifugal force on their inner surfaces.

Salandriagado wrote:The problem is that it puts much larger stress loads on just about everything. And also the above-mentioned issue about mental health.

Advanced engineering techniques will be used to cope with material stress on the station.

No more advanced than lets a skyscraper stand under the "larger stress loads" it has bearing its own weigh and resisting being blown over by wind. :P

Salandriagado wrote:Unless your space stations, as a whole, are entirely self-sufficient, you're gonna have to drag something up those gravity wells on a regular basis, and that's stupid expensive. If they are entirely self-sufficient, then... well, quite frankly, if we could do that, we'd have already fixed almost all of the problems with earth that we're setting these things up to get away from in the first place.

That doesn't follow. These things aren't cheap to build*, so even if they're self-sufficient and relatively cheap to operate, there's a hell of an initial investment.

*: Just as a very crude estimate by covering the outside area with oil tankers gives me something over a trillion bucks a pop. That's why we don't have any. (Oil tankers are cheap per unit volume, but the wasted material in the design is a start at making up the much higher cost of materials and labor needed for spacecraft.)

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:55 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:If you want to live in the open and like nifty things in the sky, try Ganymede. It has its own magnetic field, so it's shielded from both cosmic rays and Jupiter's exciting radiation belts. And for a added bonus, Jupiter fills a big hunk of the sky, so you watch the pretty weather change! :) It's not clear why people would live there, though.

Io could be used for thermal power.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Pax Nerdvana wrote:Europa supposedly has an ocean under the ice. I dunno about Callisto or Ceres.

As far as I know, all are suspected of having oceans under a mile or more of rock and or ice. I'm not sure what we'd do with them, though.

Tengania
Envoy

Founded: Nov 15, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Tengania » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:56 pm

I disagree with having all crew in statis, if we can’t develop FTL or find an alternate, smaller dimension. What if something goes wrong with the ship? And while statis slows the life cycle, it most likely won’t stop it completely. Do you want to live your entirety life, birth to death, asleep?
----=====• |THE VANGUARD| •=====----
BREAKING NEWS: Five-hour search for mystery UFOs called off after witness is informed of the existence of birds | Dealing with a Pandemic: should Tengani schools have opened this autumn? | 75,000-year-old hand stencils in a hole near a tree by a river | World tensions rise as first nuclear detonation in thirty-two years detected in southern hemisphere

Zanera
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:04 pm

Tengania wrote:I disagree with having all crew in statis, if we can’t develop FTL or find an alternate, smaller dimension. What if something goes wrong with the ship? And while statis slows the life cycle, it most likely won’t stop it completely. Do you want to live your entirety life, birth to death, asleep?

Depends on what kind of dreams I get...

Equality of Nations
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Equality of Nations » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:46 pm

Tengania wrote:I disagree with having all crew in statis, if we can’t develop FTL or find an alternate, smaller dimension. What if something goes wrong with the ship? And while statis slows the life cycle, it most likely won’t stop it completely. Do you want to live your entirety life, birth to death, asleep?

We'll have to use cryogenic systems for distant travels at some point. But, if we're able to develop some sort of FTL drives, those systems will no longer be as necessary. If something goes wrong, the personnel that can handle that situation will be awakened and after the situation has been handled, they'll go back to their pods if they can reinitialize their cryogenic sleep chambers.
Last edited by Equality of Nations on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:05 pm

Zanera wrote:

Depends on what kind of dreams I get...

Preferably not a nightmare.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:43 am

I don't think you understand the proposed scale of these rotating habitats.

@Salandriagado, take a look at the Wakipedia page for O'Neill cylinders:
A bunch of anonymous random people on the Internet wrote:An O'Neill cylinder would consist of two counter-rotating cylinders. The cylinders would rotate in opposite directions in order to cancel out any gyroscopic effects that would otherwise make it difficult to keep them aimed toward the Sun. Each would be 5 miles (8.0 km) in diameter and 20 miles (32 km) long, connected at each end by a rod via a bearing system. They would rotate so as to provide artificial gravity via centrifugal force on their inner surfaces.

Now calculate the torque requirements, and note that it will explode.

No more advanced than lets a skyscraper stand under the "larger stress loads" it has bearing its own weigh and resisting being blown over by wind. :P

That doesn't follow. These things aren't cheap to build*, so even if they're self-sufficient and relatively cheap to operate, there's a hell of an initial investment.

*: Just as a very crude estimate by covering the outside area with oil tankers gives me something over a trillion bucks a pop. That's why we don't have any. (Oil tankers are cheap per unit volume, but the wasted material in the design is a start at making up the much higher cost of materials and labor needed for spacecraft.)

Building them isn't the point. The point is that such perfect recycling gives functionally infinite resources, and means that you can spread humans out however you like without any logistics problems, at which point even space isn't really scarce.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Virginia Confederacy
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Virginia Confederacy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:16 am

If people were to leave Earth, I wouldn't. I ain't got the slightest clue why. I guess I've become attached to my home and don't want that major change.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 pm

Salandriagado wrote:Now calculate the torque requirements, and note that it will explode.

No it won't. O'Neil was exhaustive in his calculations. The loads are well within tolerances even for mundane materials like steel and reinforced concrete, even at one-gee rotation.

Salandriagado wrote:Building them isn't the point. The point is that such perfect recycling gives functionally infinite resources, and means that you can spread humans out however you like without any logistics problems, at which point even space isn't really scarce.

You don't start with the Island Three. Island Three is the kind of habitat you build once you already have millions of people living and working in space, and it's intentionally designed to use in situ resources from Lunar colonization.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:35 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:Now calculate the torque requirements, and note that it will explode.

No it won't. O'Neil was exhaustive in his calculations. The loads are well within tolerances even for mundane materials like steel and reinforced concrete, even at one-gee rotation.

Mundane, but crazy heavy, and needing to be launched from earth. Like "20 years of launch capacity" heavy, being generous about growth rates.

Salandriagado wrote:Building them isn't the point. The point is that such perfect recycling gives functionally infinite resources, and means that you can spread humans out however you like without any logistics problems, at which point even space isn't really scarce.

You don't start with the Island Three. Island Three is the kind of habitat you build once you already have millions of people living and working in space, and it's intentionally designed to use in situ resources from Lunar colonization.

I'm beginning to doubt your honesty here, so I'm going to suspend my usual practice of assuming people to have a modicum of intelligence and explain this in absurd levels of detail.

There are exactly two options:

1) Your space habitats (as a whole) are perfectly self sufficient, able to recycle absolutely everything with zero loss.
2) You need to launch supplies out of a gravity well on a regular basis.

#1 is a bare minimum requirement to avoid #2 (it comes straight from basic mass conservation). It isn't sufficient (populations grow, and people want improving quality of life, and both mean you need more mass), but it is necessary.

If you have #1, then you have lossless recycling, and so functionally infinite resources on earth (and are living in a science fiction world). If you have #2, then you haven't fixed the problem. There is no third option.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:28 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:You don't start with the Island Three. Island Three is the kind of habitat you build once you already have millions of people living and working in space, and it's intentionally designed to use in situ resources from Lunar colonization.

I'm beginning to doubt your honesty here, so I'm going to suspend my usual practice of assuming people to have a modicum of intelligence and explain this in absurd levels of detail.

1) Your space habitats (as a whole) are perfectly self sufficient, able to recycle absolutely everything with zero loss.

#1 is a bare minimum requirement to avoid #2 (it comes straight from basic mass conservation). It isn't sufficient (populations grow, and people want improving quality of life, and both mean you need more mass), but it is necessary.

If you have #1, then you have lossless recycling, and so functionally infinite resources on earth (and are living in a science fiction world). If you have #2, then you haven't fixed the problem. There is no third option.

I'm not sure how you get from 1 to "functionally infinite resources on earth", because as you say, that's not sufficient... but is the status quo here on Earth. Other than things we've shot into space and materials we've transmuted in fission reactors, everthing that started on Earth is still here. (Other than quibbles about natural fluxes involving incoming comets, etc.)

Nor are those the only choices, as you say. A colony could import materials to meet growth, which may or may not be regular, or to meet increased demand on the same basis.

Moreover, Earth's gravity well is the big one we worry about. Importing materials from the Moon is (on a potential energy basis) much easier. But that's not such a big deal, since one reason people are seriously considering expanding into the solar system is to import materials from elsewhere (asteroidal platinum-group elements, for example). So, in that sense, an O'Niell colony is no worse than living on the ground. "Close enough" recycling, plus imports to meet population growth and increasing material wealth may be good enough.

Equality of Nations
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Equality of Nations » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:48 pm

Virginia Confederacy wrote:If people were to leave Earth, I wouldn't. I ain't got the slightest clue why. I guess I've become attached to my home and don't want that major change.

Because life without earth would be unbearable unless it's needed to help, advance our civilization.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:20 am

Salandriagado wrote:

I'm not sure how you get from 1 to "functionally infinite resources on earth", because as you say, that's not sufficient... but is the status quo here on Earth. Other than things we've shot into space and materials we've transmuted in fission reactors, everthing that started on Earth is still here. (Other than quibbles about natural fluxes involving incoming comets, etc.)

Nor are those the only choices, as you say. A colony could import materials to meet growth, which may or may not be regular, or to meet increased demand on the same basis.

Moreover, Earth's gravity well is the big one we worry about. Importing materials from the Moon is (on a potential energy basis) much easier. But that's not such a big deal, since one reason people are seriously considering expanding into the solar system is to import materials from elsewhere (asteroidal platinum-group elements, for example). So, in that sense, an O'Niell colony is no worse than living on the ground. "Close enough" recycling, plus imports to meet population growth and increasing material wealth may be good enough.

As you may notice, we are exhausting resources on earth. That is not an option in space. The moon has shit all resources of use. It's either Earth or Mars for most things.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General