NATION

PASSWORD

FCC to repeal Net Neutrality Bill

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Honeydewistania
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 127
Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Honeydewistania » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:53 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:But the law is being threatened. We need to show we need the nET!

There is no law. So there's not law to threaten

That's the problem. People are unaware of the situation and how serious it is.
Honeydewistania. Formerly known as Honeydewistan. Hi. Nothing to see here.

User avatar
Naval Monte
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12368
Founded: Sep 04, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naval Monte » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:56 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:But the law is being threatened. We need to show we need the nET!

There is no law. So there's not law to threaten


Even if there is no law it can't be denied that the spirit of Net Neutrally is being threaten.
Gnosis: Season of Samhain- A Dark Fantasy/Modern-Day Occult Horror and Conspiracy RP.
The Pub (P2tM RP Group)
Vim: Takes from Lumina- An Industrial Fantasy and Arcanepunk RP.

User avatar
Entronium
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 391
Founded: Sep 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Entronium » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:58 am

If this repeal passes meny sites will shut down

And some of those sites banned advertisements and rely on donations solely.

User avatar
The Land of Home
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 52
Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Land of Home » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:59 am

Net Neutrality should be a constitutional right

User avatar
Thermodolia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48543
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:00 am

Naval Monte wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:There is no law. So there's not law to threaten


Even if there is no law it can't be denied that the spirit of Net Neutrally is being threaten.

Not really. Nothing is going to change for 90% of the Internet.
Male, centrist cultural nationalist, lives somewhere in the Deep South, loves dogs particularly German Shepherds, give me any good Irish or Scottish whiskey and I will be your friend for life. I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies
Click Here for RP Info Embassy Program
Ambassadors to the WA:
Ambassador to the GA Jon Æthr
Ambassador to the SC Eve Šanœ

RIP Dya

User avatar
Thermodolia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48543
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:01 am

Entronium wrote:If this repeal passes meny sites will shut down

And some of those sites banned advertisements and rely on donations solely.

It's not a repeal because there is nothing to repeal, it's a rule change. Nothing is going to happen to 90% of the Internet
Male, centrist cultural nationalist, lives somewhere in the Deep South, loves dogs particularly German Shepherds, give me any good Irish or Scottish whiskey and I will be your friend for life. I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies
Click Here for RP Info Embassy Program
Ambassadors to the WA:
Ambassador to the GA Jon Æthr
Ambassador to the SC Eve Šanœ

RIP Dya

User avatar
Naifon
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 130
Founded: Jul 19, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naifon » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:03 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Entronium wrote:If this repeal passes meny sites will shut down

And some of those sites banned advertisements and rely on donations solely.

It's not a repeal because there is nothing to repeal, it's a rule change. Nothing is going to happen to 90% of the Internet

If you visit more than 9 sites each day, it sounds as if you will be affected,
Signature currently in the works. Please stand by.

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 55751
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:05 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Naval Monte wrote:
Even if there is no law it can't be denied that the spirit of Net Neutrally is being threaten.

Not really. Nothing is going to change for 90% of the Internet.

Honestly, a few key ISPs should band together to block Fox news' website on the grounds that it's bad for their customers and that being Title 1 means we get to do what we want.

You'll watch a complete net neutrality bill sail through Congress in record time.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
Vivida Vis Animi
Diplomat
 
Posts: 566
Founded: Jun 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Vivida Vis Animi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:05 am

The FCC is quietly about to announce a major change right before Thanksgiving

Not very quiet considering the internet is shitting itself over this.
Vivida vis animi et corporis


Originally Founded 2013
add 4400 posts

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 92632
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:06 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Entronium wrote:If this repeal passes meny sites will shut down

And some of those sites banned advertisements and rely on donations solely.

It's not a repeal because there is nothing to repeal, it's a rule change. Nothing is going to happen to 90% of the Internet

I am not crazy about the rule xhange, but this,

NSG topic is misleading, surprise
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
The Land of Home
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 52
Founded: Sep 20, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Land of Home » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:06 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Entronium wrote:If this repeal passes meny sites will shut down

And some of those sites banned advertisements and rely on donations solely.

It's not a repeal because there is nothing to repeal, it's a rule change. Nothing is going to happen to 90% of the Internet


"Nothing's going to happen" you say.... You poor deluded fool. Without governmental protection we'll be at the mercy of corporations, corporations who are not only not obligated in any way to listen or to respect its consumers, but actively profits from exploiting them. Net Neutrality's essentially the helmet you wear when riding a motor bike. Maybe you'll never crash and you'll be fine, but who are we kidding here. You are likely to crash, and without the helmet your brain is spreading over the pavement.

User avatar
Thermodolia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48543
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:08 am

Naifon wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:It's not a repeal because there is nothing to repeal, it's a rule change. Nothing is going to happen to 90% of the Internet

If you visit more than 9 sites each day, it sounds as if you will be affected,

No you won't. If they are all text and image based sites you won't be. It's those sites that are video sites will be most effected and even then it will be still light years ahead of dial-up.
Male, centrist cultural nationalist, lives somewhere in the Deep South, loves dogs particularly German Shepherds, give me any good Irish or Scottish whiskey and I will be your friend for life. I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies
Click Here for RP Info Embassy Program
Ambassadors to the WA:
Ambassador to the GA Jon Æthr
Ambassador to the SC Eve Šanœ

RIP Dya

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 92632
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:10 am

The Land of Home wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:It's not a repeal because there is nothing to repeal, it's a rule change. Nothing is going to happen to 90% of the Internet


"Nothing's going to happen" you say.... You poor deluded fool. Without governmental protection we'll be at the mercy of corporations, corporations who are not only not obligated in any way to listen or to respect its consumers, but actively profits from exploiting them. Net Neutrality's essentially the helmet you wear when riding a motor bike. Maybe you'll never crash and you'll be fine, but who are we kidding here. You are likely to crash, and without the helmet your brain is spreading over the pavement.


You think the government protects you now? That's cute.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 125912
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:16 am

The Land of Home wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:It's not a repeal because there is nothing to repeal, it's a rule change. Nothing is going to happen to 90% of the Internet


"Nothing's going to happen" you say.... You poor deluded fool. Without governmental protection we'll be at the mercy of corporations, corporations who are not only not obligated in any way to listen or to respect its consumers, but actively profits from exploiting them. Net Neutrality's essentially the helmet you wear when riding a motor bike. Maybe you'll never crash and you'll be fine, but who are we kidding here. You are likely to crash, and without the helmet your brain is spreading over the pavement.

Which is to say, you may end up paying more to get the same service you have now. Popular websites may be throttled if they don't make a deal with the ISP.

Not quite on the level of having your brain smeared across the road.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm.
What do we have that they should want?
We have a wall to work upon!
We have work and they have none
And our work is never done
My children, my children
And the war is never won
The enemy is poverty
And the wall keeps out the enemy
And we build the wall to keep us free
That's why we build the wall
We build the wall to keep us free
We build the wall to keep us free

User avatar
Minoa
Senator
 
Posts: 4206
Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:25 am

For those living in countries where you can easily switch providers and providers have to actually compete for your wallet, like the UK (the country where a department store chain provides broadband), Netherlands, Switzerland or Japan: it should be noted that the issue of Net Neutrality appears understandably a lot more serious within the US, because in many places there is no choice of a service provider.

There are many places in the US where it is either the big telco, the big cable, or nothing at all: with that kind of near-monopoly, any service provider can (if they have the will to do it, that is) easily throttle Internet access like AOL’s walled garden and the customers have to live with that.

That is why many internet freedom advocates have to depend on the likes of the FCC to force the providers to care about their customers.
Last edited by Minoa on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Madame A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 92632
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:29 am

Minoa wrote:For those living in countries where you can easily switch providers and providers have to actually compete for your wallet, like the UK (the country where a department store chain provides broadband), Netherlands, Switzerland or Japan: it should be noted that the issue of Net Neutrality appears understandably a lot more serious within the US, because in many places there is no choice of a service provider.

There are many places in the US where it is either one big service provider, or nothing at all: with that kind of monopoly, any service provider can easily throttle Internet access like AOL’s walled garden and the customers have to live with that.

That is why many internet freedom advocates have to depend on the likes of the FCC to force the providers to care about their customers.


The vast majority of Americans have the option of at least 2 providers to the home. (The cable company and the telco). Now I have nothing nice to say about either charter or at&t). But there 8s a choice. Tbh, I would rather the fcc and doj focus on increasing competition in the local markets. (But tbf, that ain't going to happen either).
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Petrolheadia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9953
Founded: May 02, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Petrolheadia » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:29 am

You know it's a bill is really bad when even its defenders can only say "well, it''s not that bad".
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Communism, socialism, Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, multiculturalism, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic, centre-libertarian.
Where you can talk about cars!
If you can't get a convertible, run really fast down a highway with wind in your hair and people shouting "You're crazy!". - Kenny Loggins,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

User avatar
Petrolheadia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9953
Founded: May 02, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Petrolheadia » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:30 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Naval Monte wrote:
Even if there is no law it can't be denied that the spirit of Net Neutrally is being threaten.

Not really. Nothing is going to change for 90% of the Internet.

All right.

So, explain me why they are changing the bill, if it is not going to change a damn thing?
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Communism, socialism, Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, multiculturalism, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic, centre-libertarian.
Where you can talk about cars!
If you can't get a convertible, run really fast down a highway with wind in your hair and people shouting "You're crazy!". - Kenny Loggins,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 55751
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:31 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Minoa wrote:For those living in countries where you can easily switch providers and providers have to actually compete for your wallet, like the UK (the country where a department store chain provides broadband), Netherlands, Switzerland or Japan: it should be noted that the issue of Net Neutrality appears understandably a lot more serious within the US, because in many places there is no choice of a service provider.

There are many places in the US where it is either one big service provider, or nothing at all: with that kind of monopoly, any service provider can easily throttle Internet access like AOL’s walled garden and the customers have to live with that.

That is why many internet freedom advocates have to depend on the likes of the FCC to force the providers to care about their customers.


The vast majority of Americans have the option of at least 2 providers to the home. (The cable company and the telco). Now I have nothing nice to say about either charter or at&t). But there 8s a choice. Tbh, I would rather the fcc and doj focus on increasing competition in the local markets. (But tbf, that ain't going to happen either).

Yeah, duopolies though are not significant improvements over monopolies. They typically adopt the same shitty policies as each other, so there's no meaningful choice.

Increasing competition sounds good, but given the infrastructure requirements (and the limits of physics when it comes to wireless), that's hard.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 92632
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:32 am

Petrolheadia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Not really. Nothing is going to change for 90% of the Internet.

All right.

So, explain me why they are changing the bill, if it is not going to change a damn thing?


To let the isp's make more money.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Minoa
Senator
 
Posts: 4206
Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:36 am

Galloism wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
The vast majority of Americans have the option of at least 2 providers to the home. (The cable company and the telco). Now I have nothing nice to say about either charter or at&t). But there 8s a choice. Tbh, I would rather the fcc and doj focus on increasing competition in the local markets. (But tbf, that ain't going to happen either).

Yeah, duopolies though are not significant improvements over monopolies. They typically adopt the same shitty policies as each other, so there's no meaningful choice.

Increasing competition sounds good, but given the infrastructure requirements (and the limits of physics when it comes to wireless), that's hard.

This, but also the state of the competition (or lack of thereof) in the US makes one feel that there is only one choice in the country, and with the internet becoming more prolific, it sometimes feels that it is “(big service provider) or else!”.
Last edited by Minoa on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madame A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 125912
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:38 am

Petrolheadia wrote:You know it's a bill is really bad when even its defenders can only say "well, it''s not that bad".

I don't think anyone's defending it. Just pointing out that losing net neutrality will be bad, but not the end of the world.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm.
What do we have that they should want?
We have a wall to work upon!
We have work and they have none
And our work is never done
My children, my children
And the war is never won
The enemy is poverty
And the wall keeps out the enemy
And we build the wall to keep us free
That's why we build the wall
We build the wall to keep us free
We build the wall to keep us free

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 92632
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:42 am

Galloism wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
The vast majority of Americans have the option of at least 2 providers to the home. (The cable company and the telco). Now I have nothing nice to say about either charter or at&t). But there 8s a choice. Tbh, I would rather the fcc and doj focus on increasing competition in the local markets. (But tbf, that ain't going to happen either).

Yeah, duopolies though are not significant improvements over monopolies. They typically adopt the same shitty policies as each other, so there's no meaningful choice.

Increasing competition sounds good, but given the infrastructure requirements (and the limits of physics when it comes to wireless), that's hard.


Separate out the last mile to a local t3lco, take it away from the ISP., make THE local t3lco charges the ISP's the same amout of money for the line usage. (Isdn, pots, or fiher would be separate tiers).

It is the way it use to be during the early 2000's and it got knocked out for so stupid r3ason.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 92632
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:44 am

Minoa wrote:
Galloism wrote:Yeah, duopolies though are not significant improvements over monopolies. They typically adopt the same shitty policies as each other, so there's no meaningful choice.

Increasing competition sounds good, but given the infrastructure requirements (and the limits of physics when it comes to wireless), that's hard.

This, but also the state of the competition (or lack of thereof) in the US makes one feel that there is only one choice in the country, and with the internet becoming more prolific, it sometimes feels that it is “(big service provider) or else!”.


No, version and charter are big enough on their own to fight for their own customers.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Naval Monte
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12368
Founded: Sep 04, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naval Monte » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:17 am

https://i.imgur.com/VKPMxzq.png

This guys just wants to be the most hated man on the internet.
Gnosis: Season of Samhain- A Dark Fantasy/Modern-Day Occult Horror and Conspiracy RP.
The Pub (P2tM RP Group)
Vim: Takes from Lumina- An Industrial Fantasy and Arcanepunk RP.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aellex, AnarchoEarthlings, Bears Armed, Big Jim P, Binary Rhodesia, Ghost Land, Heloin, Ifreann, Immoren, Infected Mushroom, Leninist Haven, Novus America, Ostroeuropa, Saiwania, SD_Film Artists, Skarten, The Hoosier Alliance, Valrifell, Vassenor, Woodfiredpizzas, Yahoo [Bot]

Advertisement

Remove ads