NATION

PASSWORD

FCC to repeal Net Neutrality Bill

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:04 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Those numbers somehow prove that AT&T operates in collusion with competitors? Care to say how?

No, they prove the financial claims that I made. That they don't compete with each other (note that I didn't say it's collusion: simply deciding not to compete is not collusion) is evident by simply looking at the services that they provide, and where they provide them.

Every service provided has competition. In every place, or virtually every place they are provided.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:06 pm

Telconi wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
No, they prove the financial claims that I made. That they don't compete with each other (note that I didn't say it's collusion: simply deciding not to compete is not collusion) is evident by simply looking at the services that they provide, and where they provide them.

Every service provided has competition. In every place, or virtually every place they are provided.

No, in most places they have more than one option. And yet they are all charging about the same for about the same service, when clearly they could charge less without making a loss. If they were competing with each other, then they would have done so, to take businesses from their competitors. Having more than one option is not competition. Competition requires those options to actually compete with each other, to work down prices, and such.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:10 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Telconi wrote:

No, in most places they have more than one option. And yet they are all charging about the same for about the same service, when clearly they could charge less without making a loss. If they were competing with each other, then they would have done so, to take businesses from their competitors. Having more than one option is not competition. Competition requires those options to actually compete with each other, to work down prices, and such.

They do compete with one another. The company turning a profit doesn't mean it isn't competing...
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Independant Nations and Guilds
Envoy

Founded: Aug 15, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Independant Nations and Guilds » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:05 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Telconi wrote:

I would beg to differ. A lot of places do not, in fact, have more than one option.
A 12.75 civilization, according to this index. Though it wasn't exact.
Confederate News: Reserves called in to aid in the defense of Civurgrangten, an important Confederate city. Captain Venturius to be first human to receive the Red Star of the Confederacy in over a century, for valiant actions in battle. 'State opera a glorious, communist success' says Chairman Hringsson.

Confederate March?
My nation does not reflect my actual views and instead is meant to reflect one of three world superpowers in a Pathfinder campaign.
CING practices a form of communism that is closest to real life Trotskyism.
NS States Used: Authoritarianism, Culture, Defense Forces, Economy, Government Size, Human Development Index, Inclusiveness, Law Enforcement, Welfare

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:28 pm

Independant Nations and Guilds wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

I would beg to differ. A lot of places do not, in fact, have more than one option.

How do you figure?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Independant Nations and Guilds » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:29 pm

Telconi wrote:

How do you figure?

Oh, I dunno... maybe that I live in the country and have moved a lot?
Confederate News: Reserves called in to aid in the defense of Civurgrangten, an important Confederate city. Captain Venturius to be first human to receive the Red Star of the Confederacy in over a century, for valiant actions in battle. 'State opera a glorious, communist success' says Chairman Hringsson.

Confederate March?
My nation does not reflect my actual views and instead is meant to reflect one of three world superpowers in a Pathfinder campaign.
NS States Used: Authoritarianism, Culture, Defense Forces, Economy, Government Size, Human Development Index, Inclusiveness, Law Enforcement, Welfare

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:32 pm

Telconi wrote:
How do you figure?

Okay... So have I, and the least options for Internet I've ever had was four... So Iunno what awful backwoods you've lived in, but there's like three satellite providers that each cover 99%+ of americans, and that isn't even starting to enter into stationary OTAs, or wirelines.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Independant Nations and Guilds » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:35 pm

Telconi wrote:

Okay... So have I, and the least options for Internet I've ever had was four... So Iunno what awful backwoods you've lived in, but there's like three satellite providers that each cover 99%+ of americans, and that isn't even starting to enter into stationary OTAs, or wirelines.

The MOST options that I've had is 2. And that was at MOST.

It wasn't backwoods. It was suburbs most of the time.

Wasn't talking satellite. I was talking cable. Which would be both for television and ISP. And seeing as the thread is talking about Net Neutrality, which would be concerning ISPs...
Last edited by Independant Nations and Guilds on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Confederate March?

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:38 pm

Telconi wrote:

Wasn't talking satellite. I was talking cable. Which would be both for television and ISP. And seeing as the thread is talking about Net Neutrality, which would be concerning ISPs...

Okay, that's like me saying I am forced to buy a car from a monopoly because I refuse to drive anything other than a Ferrari... Cherry pick more, and telcos exist.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Independant Nations and Guilds » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:39 pm

Telconi wrote:

Okay, that's like me saying I am forced to buy a car from a monopoly because I refuse to drive anything other than a Ferrari... Cherry pick more, and telcos exist.

No, it's not. It's about the fucking INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER, which you DO NOT HAVE MUCH OF A CHOICE FOR.

You're not listening... and I'm not going to waste time with someone who won't listen.

Confederate March?

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:48 pm

Telconi wrote:

No, it's not. It's about the fucking INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER, which you DO NOT HAVE MUCH OF A CHOICE FOR.

You're not listening... and I'm not going to waste time with someone who won't listen.

Pro tip, satellite ISPs, and stationary OTA ISPs, and telco ISPs are all ISPs too...
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:27 pm

Telconi wrote:Pro tip, satellite ISPs, and stationary OTA ISPs, and telco ISPs are all ISPs too...

You can technically speaking, get satellite internet anywhere on Earth, assuming a satellite in orbit is within range of you, but that doesn't necessarily mean that your geographical location will have a satellite internet provider available to deliver that type of service.

Satellite internet has higher latency compared to other internet connection methods and there is a relatively high upfront cost in terms of equipment before you even get that type of internet service activated. Another downside is that satellite signals are impacted by weather conditions. If there isn't a clear enough "line of sight" you won't get internet. Will be slower than cable or DSL, generally speaking.

Where I live, I know for a fact that there are only two major ISPs to choose from. I can maybe go with CenturyLink's DSL or Cox Communications' cable internet service. CenturyLink has far less presence and bandwidth where I'm at. I'm too far away from a Central Office, so Cox is unfortunately, a functional monopoly for all intents and purposes.

Cox almost does whatever the hell they want, they increase their pricing every year and do all sorts of shenanigans because they know they're the only big name in town. It would be a dream come true if Google went in or if municipal broadband was introduced as competition.
Last edited by Saiwania on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:42 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Telconi wrote:Pro tip, satellite ISPs, and stationary OTA ISPs, and telco ISPs are all ISPs too...

You can technically speaking, get satellite internet anywhere on Earth, assuming a satellite in orbit is within range of you, but that doesn't necessarily mean that your geographical location will have a satellite internet provider available to deliver that type of service.

Satellite internet has higher latency compared to other internet connection methods and there is a relatively high upfront cost in terms of equipment before you even get that type of internet service activated. Another downside is that satellite signals are impacted by weather conditions. If there isn't a clear enough "line of sight" you won't get internet. Will be slower than cable or DSL, generally speaking.

Where I live, I know for a fact that there are only two major ISPs to choose from. I can maybe go with CenturyLink's DSL or Cox Communications' cable internet service. CenturyLink has far less presence and bandwidth where I'm at. I'm too far away from a Central Office, so Cox is unfortunately, a functional monopoly for all intents and purposes.

Cox almost does whatever the hell they want, they increase their pricing every year and do all sorts of shenanigans because they know they're the only big name in town. It would be a dream come true if Google went in or if municipal broadband was introduced as competition.

I'm fully aware of the limitations of the various ISP systems. I work with and around them for a living.

As for Cox having a monopoly in your area, they don't. They are the only offering that meets your desires. Which is the point I was making with the whole Ferrari analogy. If you insist on having the best, then whichever provider is the best is going to be the "functional monopoly". This phenomenon has less to do with regulation or government oversight, and more to do with your own desired level of product.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:48 pm

Telconi wrote:I'm fully aware of the limitations of the various ISP systems. I work with and around them for a living.

As for Cox having a monopoly in your area, they don't. They are the only offering that meets your desires. Which is the point I was making with the whole Ferrari analogy. If you insist on having the best, then whichever provider is the best is going to be the "functional monopoly". This phenomenon has less to do with regulation or government oversight, and more to do with your own desired level of product.

If I want CenturyLink's DSL service, I'd have to practically move to the other side of my city. I would think it is fair to conclude that my ISP doesn't have enough competition. It is just a fact that for giant swaths of my geographic location, Cox effectively has a captive market.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:20 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Telconi wrote:I'm fully aware of the limitations of the various ISP systems. I work with and around them for a living.

If I want CenturyLink's DSL service, I'd have to practically move to the other side of my city. I would think it is fair to conclude that my ISP doesn't have enough competition. It is just a fact that for giant swaths of my geographic location, Cox effectively has a captive market.

Well, not enough competition is a relative idea, I don't need more than one. But the point stands, "only one option that I like" isn't the same as "only one option"
"Only one option that fits my desires"
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Aggicificicerous
Minister

Founded: Apr 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aggicificicerous » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:54 pm

Telconi wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

Well, not enough competition is a relative idea, I don't need more than one. But the point stands, "only one option that I like" isn't the same as "only one option"

Of course. The other option being "no internet". What's the definition of a monopoly again?

The Flutterlands
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Flutterlands » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:10 pm

Telconi wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

Oh my fucking God. When you have Cox as your only option you only have ether Cox or nothing
Call me Flutters - Minister of Justice of the Federation of the Shy One - Fluttershy is best pony
Who I side with - My Discord - OC Pony - Pitch Black
White, American, Male, Asexual, Deist, Autistic with Aspergers and ADHD, Civil Liberatarian and Democratic Socialist, Brony and Whovian. I have Neurofibromatosis Type 1. I'm also INTJ
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.77
Pros: Choice, Democracy, Liberatarianism, Populism, Secularism, Equal Rights, Contraceptives, Immigration, Environmentalism, Free Speech and Egalitarianism
Con: Communism, Fascism, SJW 'Feminism', Terrorism, Homophobia, Transphobia, Xenophobia, Death Penalty, Totalitarianism, Neoliberalism, and War.
Ravenclaw

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Uiiop » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:13 pm

Telconi wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
They literally agree not to compete with each other. They make huge profit margins, and raise prices in excess of the growth in their costs. They function, in every way, as a monopoly.

Well the ISPs in your fantasy land sound awful...

Don't take my word for it but i have a relative who works for a ISP and they do view themselves more as allies/friends more than rivals.
#NSTransparency

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:18 am

The Flutterlands wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Oh my fucking God. When you have Cox as your only option you only have ether Cox or nothing

Cox is literally the fucking worst, that's about all I can say.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:30 am

Net neutrality was not stifling competition.

You know what is stifling competition? ISPs lobbying to overturn one-touch-make-ready laws that would otherwise stop them blocking competitors from creating their own broadband infrastructure, or them blocking municipal broadband projects that would open the existing infrastructure to anyone.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:53 am

Aggicificicerous wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Of course. The other option being "no internet". What's the definition of a monopoly again?

Except that isn't the case except for a rediculously small percentage of the country.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:53 am

The Flutterlands wrote:
Telconi wrote:

No shit...
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:55 am

Uiiop wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Well the ISPs in your fantasy land sound awful...

Don't take my word for it but i have a relative who works for a ISP and they do view themselves more as allies/friends more than rivals.

I don't intend to.
Because the anecdote of your 'relative' I'd hardly more relevant than my personal experiences.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Aggicificicerous
Minister

Founded: Apr 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aggicificicerous » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:42 am

Telconi wrote:
Aggicificicerous wrote:

Except that isn't the case except for a rediculously small percentage of the country.

Really? Where I grew up in Canada, there was only 1 service provider: Telus. Eventually we moved to a new city where there was another provider, but it didn't work in many places, so we were still stuck with Telus. When I moved to the big city, I then had the choice of two providers: Telus and Shaw. They charged the same monthly fee and offered the same speeds. I had two choices, but they were the same. In practice, I had no more choice than the person who is stuck with one option. Now you may think that that is a ridiculously small percentage of the country, but it's not uncommon in Canada, and I doubt it's uncommon in the US.

When you have two companies offering the same service, why would they compete? That only loses them money. It's much easier to coordinate, allowing them to set their own prices, creating another monopoly. The current system discourages competition and reduces consumer choice.
Last edited by Aggicificicerous on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:22 am

Telconi wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

They do compete with one another. The company turning a profit doesn't mean it isn't competing...

A company artificially inflating its prices drastically above provision costs does, however.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General