NATION

PASSWORD

FCC to repeal Net Neutrality Bill

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dominatus (Ancient)
Secretary

Founded: Dec 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Dominatus (Ancient) » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:56 am

Saiwania wrote:I've come across some brand new information from the telecom industry and the practices that have been recorded over the years and even though there might be some downsides, I've now become sufficiently satisfied with pro-net neutrality being the right position to take overall. In light of this, I'm now in favor of net neutrality.

I don't think Ajit Pai can be stopped from getting rid of it, but if people want it reestablished, I think their best bet is to simply get Democrats elected. All of the incumbents from both major parties that have donor or corporate sympathies getting voted out, that all definitely matters. Actual progressives and populists should be getting power across the board. We'd see quite a lot of interesting movement finally happen.

Democrats and Republicans are equally shit. America has been absolute trash since ~1900 and on. The only way to actually get stuff done is to put an end to the current system that we currently have.
All hail the Grand Overseer! He is truly a blessing for us all!
(FYI: If you haven't figured it out already, this nation only slightly represents my own beliefs.)

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:56 am

Greed and Death wrote:
Galloism wrote:Well, they need to stop acting like mustache twirling villains and I'll stop seeing them as such.

Back in the day when that was happening, only the phone company throttled VOIP - not cable. Even though they weren't at disparate levels of technology. Only the cable company throttled Netflix, not the phone company, even though they weren't at disparate levels of technology.

Why?

You know Comcast didn't throttle netflix they asked for money to give netflix a fast lane. Make sure you get your conspiracy theory right.

I wasn't talking about Comcast. I was talking about Cox cable. Or it might have been suddenlink. I can't remember exactly where the changeover occurred.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:57 am

Dominatus wrote:
Saiwania wrote:I've come across some brand new information from the telecom industry and the practices that have been recorded over the years and even though there might be some downsides, I've now become sufficiently satisfied with pro-net neutrality being the right position to take overall. In light of this, I'm now in favor of net neutrality.

I don't think Ajit Pai can be stopped from getting rid of it, but if people want it reestablished, I think their best bet is to simply get Democrats elected. All of the incumbents from both major parties that have donor or corporate sympathies getting voted out, that all definitely matters. Actual progressives and populists should be getting power across the board. We'd see quite a lot of interesting movement finally happen.

Democrats and Republicans are equally shit. America has been absolute trash since ~1900 and on. The only way to actually get stuff done is to put an end to the current system that we currently have.

I agree only by making me absolute ruler will America be saved.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:58 am

Galloism wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:You know Comcast didn't throttle netflix they asked for money to give netflix a fast lane. Make sure you get your conspiracy theory right.

I wasn't talking about Comcast. I was talking about Cox cable. Or it might have been suddenlink. I can't remember exactly where the changeover occurred.

It is as though only the cable companies that had technological issues rather than all cable companies throttle.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:58 am

Greed and Death wrote:
Galloism wrote:I wasn't talking about Comcast. I was talking about Cox cable. Or it might have been suddenlink. I can't remember exactly where the changeover occurred.

It is as though only the cable companies that had technological issues rather than all cable companies throttle.

No, it's cable companies that wanted to stifle competition.

That's the whole point. Walled gardens are profitable. Profitable things become industry standard - no matter how shitty they are.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Dominatus (Ancient)
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Dominatus (Ancient) » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:59 am

Greed and Death wrote:
Dominatus wrote:

I agree only by making me absolute ruler will America be saved.

To be quite honest, I wouldn't mind if we had a dictator so long as the dictatorship was a benevolent one. Far better than what we have today.
(FYI: If you haven't figured it out already, this nation only slightly represents my own beliefs.)

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:00 am

Dominatus wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:I agree only by making me absolute ruler will America be saved.

To be quite honest, I wouldn't mind if we had a dictator so long as the dictatorship was a benevolent one. Far better than what we have today.

I have previous experience as a benevolent dictator.

I ruled Rome for almost four years early in the first century AD.
Last edited by Galloism on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dominatus (Ancient)
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Dominatus (Ancient) » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:04 am

Galloism wrote:
Dominatus wrote:

I have previous experience as a benevolent dictator.

I ruled Rome for almost four years early in the first century AD.

That's cute. One time I ruled the seas as His Majesty, The King of the Ocean Nomads on Poseidon Delta. Ah, the good ol' days...

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:16 am

Galloism wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:It is as though only the cable companies that had technological issues rather than all cable companies throttle.

No, it's cable companies that wanted to stifle competition.

That's the whole point. Walled gardens are profitable. Profitable things become industry standard - no matter how shitty they are.

Then why do some cable companies do it and others do not?
Barack Obama

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:26 am

Greed and Death wrote:
Galloism wrote:No, it's cable companies that wanted to stifle competition.

Then why do some cable companies do it and others do not?

Right now because NN makes it a risky proposition.

Or did, anyway.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:29 am

Galloism wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:Then why do some cable companies do it and others do not?

Right now because NN makes it a risky proposition.

Or did, anyway.

For the 2 years it was in effect ?

More likely people jumping to a different ISP would be the issue.
Barack Obama

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:34 am

Greed and Death wrote:
Galloism wrote:Well, they need to stop acting like mustache twirling villains and I'll stop seeing them as such.

Back in the day when that was happening, only the phone company throttled VOIP - not cable. Even though they weren't at disparate levels of technology. Only the cable company throttled Netflix, not the phone company, even though they weren't at disparate levels of technology.

Why?

You know Comcast didn't throttle netflix they asked for money to give netflix a fast lane. Make sure you get your conspiracy theory right.

No, they throttled it then asked for money to un-throttle it.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:45 am

Greed and Death wrote:
Galloism wrote:Right now because NN makes it a risky proposition.

Or did, anyway.

For the 2 years it was in effect ?

More likely people jumping to a different ISP would be the issue.

NN was in effect under title 1 since 2010. Then the court struck those rules down - stating that the FCC didn't have the authority under Title 1 to enforce those rules, and if they wanted those rules, they'd have to reclassify under Title 2.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:51 am

Dominatus wrote:Democrats and Republicans are equally shit. America has been absolute trash since ~1900 and on. The only way to actually get stuff done is to put an end to the current system that we currently have.

Democrats are more likely to be in favor of Net Neutrality than Republicans, so if that is your main issue- it'd make more sense to hope for a Democratic sweep of government in 2018. If a lot of Justice Democrats get in, expect a move to the hard left, while if a bunch of Corporate Democrats get in, they might keep Net Neutrality abolished, but there is more of an opening for companies that're in favor of Net Neutrality to "buy them off" via lobbying to enough of an extent that it'd get re-implemented.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Naval Monte
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 04, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naval Monte » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSvUyv1qqzA

Looks like ignoring those fake comments are coming back to bite Ashit Pai's crooked ass. Also a reminder that the fight isn't over folks so keep calling congress to convince them to side with us and to avoid the money of the companies.
https://www.battleforthenet.com/
Last edited by Naval Monte on Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Naval Monte- The Mediterranean crossroads of mind-controlling conspiracies, twisted dimensions, inhuman depravity, questionable science, unholy commerce, heretical faiths, absurd politics, and cutting-edge art.

Make wonderful memories here, in Naval Monte.

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:35 pm

Naval Monte wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSvUyv1qqzA

Looks like ignoring those fake comments are coming back to bite Ashit Pai's crooked ass. Also a reminder that the fight isn't over folks so keep calling congress to convince them to side with us and to avoid the money of the companies.
https://www.battleforthenet.com/

That's strange. I don't know why they'd be acting shady when Adolf Hitler, former Chancellor of Nazi Germany, is in support of their measures.
Let’s not dwell on our corpse strewn past. Let’s celebrate our corpse strewn future!
Head Bartender for The Pub | The Para-Verse | Writing Advice from a Pretentious Jerk | I write stuff | Arbitrary Political Numbers
Kentucky Fried Land wrote:I should have known Grestin was Christopher Walken the whole time.
ThePub wrote:New Grestin: "I will always choose the aborable lesbians over an entire town."
Imperial Idaho wrote:And with 1-2 sentences Grestin has declared war on the national pride of Canada.
- Best Worldbuilding - 2016 (Community Choice)
- Best Horror/Thriller RP for THE ZONE - 2016 (Community Choice)

Kramania
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kramania » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:09 pm

I dare say many of the people attacking Ajit Pai are just racist.
Watching my sanity slip away in my dreams

Naval Monte
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 04, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Naval Monte » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:48 pm

Kramania wrote:I dare say many of the people attacking Ajit Pai are just racist.

Some are but others are attacking him because of his blatant disregard towards the American people and for being an obvious shill to Verizon.
Naval Monte- The Mediterranean crossroads of mind-controlling conspiracies, twisted dimensions, inhuman depravity, questionable science, unholy commerce, heretical faiths, absurd politics, and cutting-edge art.

Make wonderful memories here, in Naval Monte.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:50 pm

Kramania wrote:I dare say many of the people attacking Ajit Pai are just racist.

Yeah, the reversal of NN hurts people from across the political spectrum, including a number of racists.

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:18 am

I hope May doesn't get any ideas

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:34 am

Freedom Caucus wrote:I cannot believe how much i'm flip flopping with new information... net neutrality means that government will control the internet,

No.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:39 am

Freedom Caucus wrote:I cannot believe how much i'm flip flopping with new information... net neutrality means that government will control the internet, it's better in my opinion for the free market to control it.

It means all data is treated equal.

Neither the government or the free market controls it.

Some of them maybe, yes. Others are just pissed off at him.
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:47 am

Freedom Caucus wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
No.

Yes.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:

Horseshit. When it was first announced that Title II will be put in place Ajit Pai himself said that it's a transition to government-controlled internet.

And that means...nothing.

He has a bias against NN.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:55 am

Freedom Caucus wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
No.

Yes.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:

Horseshit. When it was first announced that Title II will be put in place Ajit Pai himself said that it's a transition to government-controlled internet.

What the fuck does "government-controlled internet" even mean, and how does requiring ISPs to treat 1 bit from company a equally to 1 bit from company b, because they're paid to transfer bits not choose winners between companies lead to that?
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:57 am

Freedom Caucus wrote:I cannot believe how much i'm flip flopping with new information... net neutrality means that government will control the internet, it's better in my opinion for the free market to control it.

Your "new information" is a lie.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General