NATION

PASSWORD

UBER, champion of the working class!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Azurius
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Azurius » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:28 pm

The East Marches II wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:What? That people have rights and can't be deported like animals?

The Government should have bought all the land along the route before building tbh. This is why we can't have nice things.

So... They started construction before they even bought the land to construct on...? Wow. That´s like i´d build half a mega mall on my half plot of land before I even purchased the other half... Not exactly a wise move.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:29 pm

Azurius wrote:
The Government should have bought all the land along the route before building tbh. This is why we can't have nice things.

So... They started construction before they even bought the land to construct on...? Wow. That´s like i´d build half a mega mall on my half plot of land before I even purchased the other half... Not exactly a wise move.

That's because only idiots and the corrupt generally go into government where I am

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:29 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:
So another thing the USA can't do right, add it to the list. The very, very long list.

Property rights are sacrosanct. Also every government action should be able to be contested in court. Otherwise you aren't a very democratic society but a borderline authoritarian dictatorship
Like Switzerland, that impoverished little despotism.
Restore the Crown

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:30 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:
So another thing the USA can't do right, add it to the list. The very, very long list.

Property rights are sacrosanct. Also every government action should be able to be contested in court. Otherwise you aren't a very democratic society but a borderline authoritarian dictatorship

Other democratic countries have eminent domain, and court oversight. But if it's not Mercia, it's not democracy, right? :roll:
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:31 pm

Questers wrote:
No other first world country, in which quality of life is approximately the same as the US, has this problem in quite such intensity.

The American Republic should be more like the Roman Republic it wanted to emulate and adopt practices of countries it has occupied when they are better. Then it might last a thousand years.

The other first world countries are the process of committing suicide, taking advice from the soon to be gone is an exercise in futility.

That is assuming their ideas had value in the first place.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:31 pm

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Property rights are sacrosanct. Also every government action should be able to be contested in court. Otherwise you aren't a very democratic society but a borderline authoritarian dictatorship

Other democratic countries have eminent domain, and court oversight. But if it's not Mercia, it's not democracy, right? :roll:

Oh look at all that straw
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:

Oh look at all that straw

I'd make a strawman, but the farmers lobby is too powerful. :p
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Azurius
Diplomat

Postby Azurius » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Property rights are sacrosanct. Also every government action should be able to be contested in court. Otherwise you aren't a very democratic society but a borderline authoritarian dictatorship

In other countries you also actually have the right to a trial etc. Which in some cases americans for example don´t. But yes we have eminent domain too. People affected negatively by eminent domain are usually compensated as well. They may not like it, but the majority does as it benefits from it.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:33 pm

The East Marches II wrote:The other first world countries are the process of committing suicide, taking advice from the soon to be gone is an exercise in futility.

That is assuming their ideas had value in the first place.
Maybe, but that is not related to whether or not they can actually commit to building infrastructure projects.
Restore the Crown

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Questers wrote:
No other first world country, in which quality of life is approximately the same as the US, has this problem in quite such intensity.

I would imagine Canada would face similar issues. Anyway, Europe is a completely different continent from America, not going to be the same situation. If you can't realise that then I don't know what to tell you.

The American Republic should be more like the Roman Republic it wanted to emulate and adopt practices of countries it has occupied when they are better. Then it might last a thousand years.

Rome collapsed,and spent the majority of it's history as an Empire.

Anyway, the only countries we've really conquered probably aren't the best to emulate.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:37 pm

The US conquered both Japan and Germany - it's unlikely there is nothing that it can learn from either societies.

Rome lasted a lot longer than the United States, even in its Republican form, but the comparison was mostly tongue in cheek.
Restore the Crown

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:38 pm

The United States has different challenges to other countries, some of which is based on size, others based on large proportions of its population being Thermodolias, but it is not completely unique. Forms of operational and behavioural research are universal.
Restore the Crown

Azurius
Diplomat

Postby Azurius » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:41 pm

Questers wrote:The US conquered both Japan and Germany - it's unlikely there is nothing that it can learn from either societies.

Rome lasted a lot longer than the United States, even in its Republican form, but the comparison was mostly tongue in cheek.

Except that it hasn´t really conquered Germany... Japan yes.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:42 pm

Questers wrote:The US conquered both Japan and Germany - it's unlikely there is nothing that it can learn from either societies.

Again, Japan and Germany are completely different countries from the US, on different continents. Are there things we can learn from them? Sure. But that doesn't mean that we can just copy and paste their policies into the US, or that all of their policies, or anything you have suggested(especially your) can work in the US. The US is to vast for anything to effective compete with the car for the average American, deporting millions citizens within the US is to much trouble for the effort, and trains will only be effective in certain regions of the country.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:43 pm

Questers wrote:The United States has different challenges to other countries, some of which is based on size, others based on large proportions of its population being Thermodolias, but it is not completely unique. Forms of operational and behavioural research are universal.

Don't see how human behavior has to do with why the environment and population makes something unworkable.
Last edited by Sovaal on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:43 pm

Based off how long nations sustain themselves nowadays the USA is probably in the best condition although it is starting to lose grounds.
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:44 pm

With American troops on German soil and entire German armies having laid down their arms in front of American officers and with the German high command offering an unconditional surrender to allied high commands, it is not unreasonable to say that the United States conquered Germany - in unison with its allies, obviously.
Restore the Crown

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:

Based off how long nations sustain themselves nowadays the USA is probably in the best condition although it is starting to lose grounds.

When you're at the top the only way to go is down. I say we'll be around for a fair while, however.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:52 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:Based off how long nations sustain themselves nowadays the USA is probably in the best condition although it is starting to lose grounds.

When you're at the top the only way to go is down. I say we'll be around for a fair while, however.

My fear is the dividing like the Roman Empire did. I mean I'm fine if America sustains its size even if the party I oppose is at the top. I mean I don't like it and I'll oppose it, but dividing is worse.
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.

Azurius
Diplomat

Postby Azurius » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:53 pm

Questers wrote:With American troops on German soil and entire German armies having laid down their arms in front of American officers and with the German high command offering an unconditional surrender to allied high commands, it is not unreasonable to say that the United States conquered Germany - in unison with its allies, obviously.

Well yeah in unison. Also America really joined the fight against nazigermany very late... It was essentially already won at that point.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:24 pm

what makes this round of automation different from previous rounds of automation
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:27 pm

Scabs

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Sovaal wrote:When you're at the top the only way to go is down. I say we'll be around for a fair while, however.

My fear is the dividing like the Roman Empire did. I mean I'm fine if America sustains its size even if the party I oppose is at the top. I mean I don't like it and I'll oppose it, but dividing is worse.

Agreed. I think we'll pull through, though. I mean anything big enoigh to take us down will probably be enough to take everybody else with us.

Anyway, this is off topic.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:39 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:My fear is the dividing like the Roman Empire did. I mean I'm fine if America sustains its size even if the party I oppose is at the top. I mean I don't like it and I'll oppose it, but dividing is worse.

Agreed. I think we'll pull through, though. I mean anything big enoigh to take us down will probably be enough to take everybody else with us.

Anyway, this is off topic.

What'd kill America is if we end up like 3rd century Rome. I mean an outright civil war won't end America it has to much stability and a sense of unification for that. If it were to fall it needs to have a massive civil war like Rome in the first century then be taken over by external threats like the 4th century.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:11 pm

Dooom35796821595 wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/28/uber-uk-tribunal-self-employed-status

As we all know, Uber lost its court case to have its "employees" remain "self employed", and now their true intent shows itself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42055841

Turns out they are now on the path to eliminate human drivers altogether and replace them with Volvo self driving cars. And while I would prefer a self driving car to a driver, Uber will undoubtably offer far cheaper fairs while paying a special tax to compensate for all the workers they're putting out of work.....oh wait, they won't.

The question is...will this wake up the zombified legislators of the world to the threat of unregulated automation? Or will they just wait for mass unemployment and a social revolution?

National Redundancy Insurance should probably be a thing, if made redundant by automation or technological advancement, guaranteeing at least a minimum wage and retraining.
It can happen to anyone.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General