NATION

PASSWORD

Scientists issue 'warning to humanity'

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What should be done?

Investment in fusion, more use of fission and green energy, ween off oil and coal.
68%
Complete stop of coal, oil. Full switch to fission, green energy.
15%
Let the market invest in fusion, use fission and green energy and not regulate anything.
6%
Keep as is.
4%
More coal and oil.
2%
Make a bread thread herp.
4%

Total votes : 47

Principality of the Raix
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Principality of the Raix » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Principality of the Raix wrote:I knew you would attempt that, but the very fact that 30,000 have said it.

Who probably didn't have experience in the associated field or even researched for very long, if they were scientists in the common understanding at all.
Or needed it to be "not" said, proves that climate change is more or less a hoax.

No, it does not, especially when you factor in the, what, hundreds of peer-reviewed papers and journals on the subject? If not hundreds, then dozens. There's boundless information on the subject if you'd look.
If you do not account for the 1,000 factors in climate change, and look at one co2 particle. You can tell something is falsified by these facts.
Nop, just nop. You're deliberately trying to frame CO2 as this lone particle to make your position more sound, when you're ignoring the reality where tonnes of carbon dioxide are released in the atmosphere every day. Also, we're supposed to be in a cool cycle, you realize.

While trying to claim humanity is the cause, when we have been burning coal longer then the industrial revolution took for us to become modernized. Only proves of the falsity of this claim.
Never quite on that scale before. Also suspect is the rapid rise in temperature following the years after industrialization.

I'm going to implore you to watch this video, I think it's really neato.

Are you a bit ignorant? As I stated studied one molecule, i never stated it being one molecule. Thus you are attempting to state my own statements for me, which are rather ignorant to what was stated.
Prince Hildehrand, Principality of the Raix;Technocratic Allied States President.
Technocratic Forum
I do not use NS stats, but I do use Policies due to the Nation's Goals.
Conservative Libertarian Total-Isolationist Nationalist Reactionary
Collectivism score: -67%
Authoritarianism score: -50%
Internationalism score: -83%
Tribalism score: 33%
Liberalism score: -67%

Pro: Pro-Life, Limited Government, 2nd Amendment, 1st Amendment.
Con: Pro-Choice, Communism, Anarchism, Totalitarianism.

Imperium Centralium
Envoy

Founded: Nov 20, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Centralium » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Principality of the Raix wrote:
Byzantii wrote:See, what I think we need to do is go for Europe first. The US, as most of us know, is the #1 Largest Economy in the World-not to mention it's bigger than 2 continents. It will not yield as easily to Environmentalist policies as would massive polluters that are yet smaller, like Poland with it's massive Industrial waste or the Consumerist trash of European powers like France, Sweden or Germany. That is where we should implement the plans for a green future. In hindsight, go for Finland as the first target. It's a super-modern nation that seems to really care about PR, which would make it a very good shot at Pro-Environment plans for the future of it's nation. Hell, it might become the Environmentalist capital of the world if it carries out such a plan!

China pollutes more then ALL the above and yet they will never relent, so your screwed.

They are doing what they can, it's just that even large solar farms and all that are comparable to a mere hair in front of the nine bulls that is the need to give 1.4 billion people energy.
Insert quote by some pretentious 19th century philosopher here

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:50 pm

FreeDUMB- wrote:Who cares? The government has no right to regulate what people do to the environment, even if it is harmful.

Exactly!!!! Thank you! This is the bottom line of everything!

So is it not a thing or is it just illegal to ask people to respond to it?

Them goalposts man, they move fast.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:50 pm

FreeDUMB- wrote:Who cares? The government has no right to regulate what people do to the environment, even if it is harmful.

Hmmmmm nope not really.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Skyhooked
Senator

Founded: Mar 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyhooked » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Actually there are too few known variables, to know things for sure. What if there is more than one natural cycle, which influences the temperature somehow? And they just started reaching high temperature points at the same time? Or maybe, pollution has it's impact, but actualy it's too small to cause this kind of problem.

Conspiracy theories have their place too. For exapmple: Global warming is a hoax, cooked up by certain CEOs, so their sales would skyrocket. Or perhaps governments belive in that, tight up some regulations, and thus cause damage to competitors.

The less we know about something, the more theories we create. 2+2? Only one answer: 4. What will happen after death? Thousands of theories and beliefs. And each one has it's own logic.

(Like folk gonna read this anyway)
Last edited by Skyhooked on Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Skyhooked is MT/PMT with a few FT elements. Military is factbook only. NS stats are mostly non canon.
If you wanna know more about this haven of sin: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=418281&start=1

Our country offers: Alcohol, guns, cigars, weed, gambling, beaches and tons of souvenirs. And our current special: PL-74 Plasma rifle 25% discount!

Refreshing News:
Skyhooked is at war with Octavia, still holding agaisnt endless hordes of robots, vampires and traitors of humanity!/Global Defense Council was formed to help Earth hold agaisnt invasion./Luckily, we survived long enough and forces of Mandate of Humanity have arrived. (https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=484352)

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:50 pm

You owe NS a continue coin. Gold sovereigns will also be accepted. :)
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Principality of the Raix
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Principality of the Raix » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Imperium Centralium wrote:
Principality of the Raix wrote:China pollutes more then ALL the above and yet they will never relent, so your screwed.

They are doing what they can, it's just that even large solar farms and all that are comparable to a mere hair in front of the nine bulls that is the need to give 1.4 billion people energy.

No, they are burning trash and using coal. Now if you intend to make them stop using coal, you will be killing those 1.4 billion people. So you guys as a whole are IN the wrong!
Prince Hildehrand, Principality of the Raix;Technocratic Allied States President.
Technocratic Forum

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Valrifell wrote:Who probably didn't have experience in the associated field or even researched for very long, if they were scientists in the common understanding at all.

No, it does not, especially when you factor in the, what, hundreds of peer-reviewed papers and journals on the subject? If not hundreds, then dozens. There's boundless information on the subject if you'd look. Nop, just nop. You're deliberately trying to frame CO2 as this lone particle to make your position more sound, when you're ignoring the reality where tonnes of carbon dioxide are released in the atmosphere every day. Also, we're supposed to be in a cool cycle, you realize.

Never quite on that scale before. Also suspect is the rapid rise in temperature following the years after industrialization.

I'm going to implore you to watch this video, I think it's really neato.

Are you a bit ignorant? As I stated studied one molecule, i never stated it being one molecule. Thus you are attempting to state my own statements for me, which are rather ignorant to what was stated.

I'm gonna toss this question out here: are you familiar with the means by which most climatologists agree climate change is happening, and how humans factor in?
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Principality of the Raix
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Principality of the Raix » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Principality of the Raix wrote:Exactly!!!! Thank you! This is the bottom line of everything!

Funny, least someone has a sense of humor besides me. :)
Technocratic Forum

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:52 pm

Skyhooked wrote:Actually there are too few known variables, to know things for sure. What if there is more than one natural cycle, which influences the temperature somehow? .

We do have a climate cycle. Did I mention we, geologically speaking, literally just finished the coolest period of a mini-ice age? Because we totally shouldn't be getting this warm.

Imperium Centralium
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Centralium » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:52 pm

Imperium Centralium wrote:They are doing what they can, it's just that even large solar farms and all that are comparable to a mere hair in front of the nine bulls that is the need to give 1.4 billion people energy.

No, they are burning trash and using coal. Now if you intend to make them stop using coal, you will be killing those 1.4 billion people. So you guys as a whole are IN the wrong!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_energy_in_China

Things take time.

Auze
Minister

Founded: Oct 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Auze » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:52 pm

Eisen Wolf Reich wrote:Personally I think that a lot of solar and renewable energy in its current state isn't enough to suffice with our growing power needs. We should go nuclear, a properly built and maintained reactor is almost full-proof.

nuclear reactors take years to build, it will be a while before we can make the amount of energy we need that way. Also, we don't have a safe and foolproof way to contain the waste.
Hello, I'm an Latter-day Saint kid from South Carolina!
In case you're wondering, it's pronounced ['ɑ.ziː].
My political views are best described as "incoherent"

Anyway, how about a game?
[spoiler=Views I guess]RIP LWDT & RWDT. Y'all did not go gentle into that good night.
In general I am a Centrist

I disown most of my previous posts (with a few exceptions)

Free Tristania
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Tristania » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:53 pm

Byzantii wrote:See, what I think we need to do is go for Europe first. The US, as most of us know, is the #1 Largest Economy in the World-not to mention it's bigger than 2 continents. It will not yield as easily to Environmentalist policies as would massive polluters that are yet smaller, like Poland with it's massive Industrial waste or the Consumerist trash of European powers like France, Sweden or Germany. That is where we should implement the plans for a green future. In hindsight, go for Finland as the first target. It's a super-modern nation that seems to really care about PR, which would make it a very good shot at Pro-Environment plans for the future of it's nation. Hell, it might become the Environmentalist capital of the world if it carries out such a plan!

In other words: destroy Europe's economies, dismantle its remaining industries and distribute the wealth they haven't handed over yet to the Third World or the "New Europeans" to some undemocratic cause by taxing them to death on overtly expensive products they would have to pay indulgences over to the Church of Climate Change and it's pope Al "I live in a massive mansion and I have a couple of private jets" Gore they would need to import from actual polluters while leaving the actual polluters like China and the U.S unharmed.

It almost sounds like "let's kill off any competition and destroy dissent". That would be the quickest route to a violent backlash by causing mass poverty and mass unemployment in an already depressed Europe which is also suffering from a migrant crisis.
Pro: True Liberty, Voluntary association, Free Trade, Family and Tradition as the Bedrock of Society
Anti: Centralisation (of any sort), Feminism, Internationalism, Multiculturalism, Collectivism of any sort (be it Left-wing or Right-wing)

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:53 pm

Dooom35796821595 wrote:

Funny, least someone has a sense of humor besides me. :)

I guess this is the part where you say 'ha ha it was all a joke'?

Very funny. :meh:

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:53 pm

Auze wrote:
Eisen Wolf Reich wrote:Personally I think that a lot of solar and renewable energy in its current state isn't enough to suffice with our growing power needs. We should go nuclear, a properly built and maintained reactor is almost full-proof.

nuclear reactors take years to build, it will be a while before we can make the amount of energy we need that way. Also, we don't have a safe and foolproof way to contain the waste.

Fusion is the future. If we can figure out how to contain it.

Waste for fission, at this point, can only be disposed by burying it in the desert.

Principality of the Raix
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Principality of the Raix » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:53 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Principality of the Raix wrote:Are you a bit ignorant? As I stated studied one molecule, i never stated it being one molecule. Thus you are attempting to state my own statements for me, which are rather ignorant to what was stated.

I'm gonna toss this question out here: are you familiar with the means by which most climatologists agree climate change is happening, and how humans factor in?

Oh you mean the factor by which Co2 immersions have suddenly skyrocketed since 1970 and has supposedly been increasing, even when most countries have switched to using bicycles and or nuclear power. All exception of China or North korea, whom use coal as their primary source of energy and china who burns trash in the act of recycling it. While in fact, most of the world has cut back on anything that can be deemed pollutant. Which only comes to show that this is all a hoax, if you consider All the factors within it and not just the 1,000 factors that are capable of climate change.
Technocratic Forum

Principality of the Raix
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Principality of the Raix » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:55 pm

Imperium Centralium wrote:
Principality of the Raix wrote:No, they are burning trash and using coal. Now if you intend to make them stop using coal, you will be killing those 1.4 billion people. So you guys as a whole are IN the wrong!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_energy_in_China

Things take time.

Please use a source other then wiki, as i do not find that as a substantial source exactly like my teachers when i went to school. Find a more solid source, basically. Besides that, I would doubt to believe half of what comes out of china as it is basically saying what it wants you to hear and does not mean half of what they state.
Technocratic Forum

Skyhooked
Senator

Founded: Mar 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyhooked » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:56 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Skyhooked wrote:Actually there are too few known variables, to know things for sure. What if there is more than one natural cycle, which influences the temperature somehow? .

We do have a climate cycle. Did I mention we, geologically speaking, literally just finished the coolest period of a mini-ice age? Because we totally shouldn't be getting this warm.

Maybe that's caused by second natural cycle, we don't know much about. And how do we know, how fast it's supposed to get warm, and where is the maximum point of temperature? As far as I know, they didn't analyze weather accurately until 19 century.
Last edited by Skyhooked on Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skyhooked is MT/PMT with a few FT elements. Military is factbook only. NS stats are mostly non canon.
If you wanna know more about this haven of sin: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=418281&start=1

Our country offers: Alcohol, guns, cigars, weed, gambling, beaches and tons of souvenirs. And our current special: PL-74 Plasma rifle 25% discount!

Refreshing News:
Skyhooked is at war with Octavia, still holding agaisnt endless hordes of robots, vampires and traitors of humanity!/Global Defense Council was formed to help Earth hold agaisnt invasion./Luckily, we survived long enough and forces of Mandate of Humanity have arrived. (https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=484352)

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:56 pm

Valrifell wrote:

Oh you mean the factor by which Co2 immersions have suddenly skyrocketed since 1970 and has supposedly been increasing, even when most countries have switched to using bicycles and or nuclear power. All exception of China or North korea, whom use coal as their primary source of energy and china who burns trash in the act of recycling it. While in fact, most of the world has cut back on anything that can be deemed pollutant. Which only comes to show that this is all a hoax, if you consider All the factors within it and not just the 1,000 factors that are capable of climate change.

Dude, that's just flagrantly untrue with reality. Most importantly, coal is still the most popular way people get their electricity, globally. Not in China or Norkland, globally.

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:56 pm

I read the title and was half expecting a bunch of scientists made a doomsday device and were threatening to use it if their demands weren't met. Getting up to date lab equipment is so hard these days.
Galloism wrote:Or we can go with feminism doesn't exist. We all imagined it. Collectively.
You can't fight the friction
Women belong in the kitchen
Men belong in the kitchen
Everyone belongs in the kitchen
Kitchen has food
I have brought dishonor to my gaming clan
Achesia wrote:Threads like this is why I need to stop coming to NSG....

Marethian Lupanar of Teladre wrote:A bright and cheerful mountain village of chapel-goers~

The Archregimancy wrote:
Hagia Sophia is best church.

Major-Tom wrote:Why am I full of apathy?

I'm just here to be the peanut gallery
уσυ нανєи'т gσт тнє fυℓℓ єffє¢т

Principality of the Raix
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Principality of the Raix » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:56 pm

Free Tristania wrote:

In other words: destroy Europe's economies, dismantle its remaining industries and distribute the wealth they haven't handed over yet to the Third World or the "New Europeans" to some undemocratic cause by taxing them to death on overtly expensive products they would have to pay indulgences over to the Church of Climate Change and it's pope Al "I live in a massive mansion and I have a couple of private jets" Gore they would need to import from actual polluters while leaving the actual polluters like China and the U.S unharmed.

It almost sounds like "let's kill off any competition and destroy dissent". That would be the quickest route to a violent backlash by causing mass poverty and mass unemployment in an already depressed Europe which is also suffering from a migrant crisis.

See someone knows where this idiocy is slowly going without having to even debate this idiocy.
Technocratic Forum

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:56 pm

Skyhooked wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Maybe that's caused by second natural cycle, we don't know much about. And how do we know, how fast it's supposed to get warm, and where is the maximum point of temperature. As far as I know, they didn't analyze weather accurately until 19 century.

Nothing suggests a cycle this extreme in the fossil record, that I know of, or anything that anyone who studies dirt for a living has found.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:57 pm

Valrifell wrote:

Yeah, because most of the world has switched to bicycles and cars aren't a thing anymore. :roll:

Imperium Centralium
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Centralium » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:57 pm

Please use a source other then wiki, as i do not find that as a substantial source exactly like my teachers when i went to school. Find a more solid source, basically. Besides that, I would doubt to believe half of what comes out of china as it is basically saying what it wants you to hear and does not mean half of what they state.

https://www.google.com/search?q=china+renewable+energy

Principality of the Raix
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Principality of the Raix » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:57 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Principality of the Raix wrote:Oh you mean the factor by which Co2 immersions have suddenly skyrocketed since 1970 and has supposedly been increasing, even when most countries have switched to using bicycles and or nuclear power. All exception of China or North korea, whom use coal as their primary source of energy and china who burns trash in the act of recycling it. While in fact, most of the world has cut back on anything that can be deemed pollutant. Which only comes to show that this is all a hoax, if you consider All the factors within it and not just the 1,000 factors that are capable of climate change.

Dude, that's just flagrantly untrue with reality. Most importantly, coal is still the most popular way people get their electricity, globally. Not in China or Norkland, globally.

Ooh then you are saying, you do not even know the science behind it. Why am I not surprised?
Technocratic Forum

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General