NATION

PASSWORD

8 year old boy murdered because his mom thought he was gay

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:12 am

Thermodolia wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
Will killing them bring the kid back? No. Is it going to be more effective than prison to protect other children? No.

But having it on the books does open the door for other people -- people who are not the same level of scummy, people against whom the evidence is not as clear-cut -- to get executed.

Hence why all crimes have the death penalty say "up to" instead of "only" before the words "the death penalty". Basically it's possible that a person who commits murder might not get the death penalty. It all depends on the circumstances.

And yet there is still an ongoing problem with states that have the death penalty using it irresponsibly.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:13 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Genivaria wrote:I'm iffy about the death penalty but a part of me feels like people who torture and murder children (especially their own) are incapable of being reformed.

Whether these specific people are capable of being reformed is beside the point. They probably aren't, but they can get life without parole if that's the issue. The problem with the death penalty is that if it's on the table for this case, it will also be legal to apply to other cases, and we haven't figured out a reliable way to prevent it from being misused in states where it is on the books.

But that's an issue of abuse not an issue of the death penalty's existence.

Methodological Individualism wrote:
Telconi wrote:
But shouldn't. Alas, an issue for another thread perhaps.

It should, since a lot of the cost of D involves legal processes aimed at minimizing the false positive rate, given the nature of the consequences.

I would hope so anyway.

Yes, but those costs are a FAR more complex issue than just "appeals cost money". If you'd like we could start a thread, or feel free to TG me.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:14 am

Trumptonium wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:Is it going to be more effective than prison to protect other children?

Well ... yes ...

How?

Are they going to be raising children while they're in prison if we don't execute them? Do you have statistical evidence showing that the death penalty is an effective deterrent?
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:16 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Hence why all crimes have the death penalty say "up to" instead of "only" before the words "the death penalty". Basically it's possible that a person who commits murder might not get the death penalty. It all depends on the circumstances.

And yet there is still an ongoing problem with states that have the death penalty using it irresponsibly.

What do you expect is a system that elects judges police officials and DAs? Abuse of the system to sway the public, and appear tough on crime.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:16 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Trumptonium wrote:

Well ... yes ...

How?

Are they going to be raising children while they're in prison if we don't execute them? Do you have statistical evidence showing that the death penalty is an effective deterrent?

Nobody has ever broken out of a grave and re-commited...
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Vallermoore
Senator

Founded: Mar 27, 2011

Postby Vallermoore » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:21 am

Exécuté thé perp.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:21 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Hence why all crimes have the death penalty say "up to" instead of "only" before the words "the death penalty". Basically it's possible that a person who commits murder might not get the death penalty. It all depends on the circumstances.

In what way?
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Destructive Government Economic System
Minister

Founded: Jun 15, 2017
Corporate Police State

Postby Destructive Government Economic System » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:23 am

Seriously?

The mother and boyfriend thought that the son was gay, which makes their reasons for outright murdering him completely void (and murder was never forgivable to begin with, obviously). Why in the world did they have the sudden urge to murder her son after only suspecting him of being gay? And why in the world did they not even attempt to help him through civil matters? It appears that they simply got on to the abuse without, firstly, discussing their concerns with the son. It is even proven further that those people were outright sadists due to them genuinely laughing during their abusive sessions.

This is coming from me, a Christian, and despite me not agreeing with homosexuality in general, this was just completely unnecessary violence to a child. Only cowardly individuals would attempt to abuse those who are physically (and mentally) weaker than them. As others have said before, these types of people really do deserve the death penalty. While lifelong sentence in prison sounds like a fitting punishment for child abusers/murderers, I personally believe that these inhumane beings should just be cleaned. There is no need to put up with their swine any longer, so it is always best to simply take out the trash.

Thanks, OP, for the read. Unfortunately, this crap likely occurs in other parts of the world... daily.
"All I wish is to see the world burn."
-The Great Uniter and Beast of the DGES
(By the way, the DGES is a servant to DEAREST LEADER of Psychotic Dictatorships.)
Just your typical guy who wants to have fun. Don't take this nation seriously,
ever.
I DO NOT use NS stats!
Keshiland literally wrote:I would give it a no. A country that lies about how free, or how great, or how humanitarian it is can never be developed. Example, NK lies and says they are democratic and are not, the US lies and says we are free yet we incarcerate millions for a medical plant. See we are basically a larger more populated North Korea.

Blasted Craigs
Ambassador

Founded: May 31, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Blasted Craigs » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:24 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:The independent

ABC7

Gabriel Fernandez: Mother's boyfriend beat eight-year-old to death because he thought he was gay, court told
'My mom and her boyfriend made Gabriel eat spoiled stuff or expired stuff. One thing I remember is expired spinach. He threw it up, and they made him eat it off the table'

An eight-year-old boy endured unimaginable abuse before his death including being forced to eat cat litter and being bound and gagged, a court heard.

Gabriel Fernandez's mother Pearl and her boyfriend Isauro Aguirre allegedly tortured the child in the months leading up to his death in 2013.

Gabriel was sprayed with pepper spray, forced to eat cat faeces and regularly gagged, bound and beaten, according to testimony from Gabriel's older brother Ezequiel, who was 12 when his brother was killed.

"My mom and her boyfriend made Gabriel eat spoiled stuff or expired stuff. One thing I remember is expired spinach. He threw it up, and they made him eat it off the table," Ezequiel told the court, according to ABC7.

He was also burned with cigarettes, whipped with a metal hanger and shot with a BB gun, the jury was told.

Prosecutor Jon Hatami said Aguirre forced Gabriel to go to school in pink clothes and was motivated to kill him because he thought he was gay. "It was just unbelievable amount of trauma on his body," Los Angeles County Fire Department paramedic James Cermak, who responded to the 911 call on the day of his death, told the court.

Gabriel's 14-year-old sister Virginia, who was 11 at the time of the abuse, also described what happened on the day he died.

"He knocked the air out of him, and he fell over, and he didn't get back up," she told the court. "So they picked him up. They threw him in the shower. And they kept yelling at him to wake up. And when he didn't wake up, my mother decided to call the police. And she told me to grab a rag and we cleaned most of the blood that was on the floor."

The judge reportedly called a recess during the testimony because so many in the room were crying.

The disturbing details came to light during the trial of Aguirre. The boy's mother Fernandez will be tried separately. Both are accused of torture and murder.

This just disgusts me. Child abusers are scum. To do it beacuse you think he might be gay is another layer of scum.

What these people allegedly did is nothing short of monsterish.

Should they be found guilty, I hope they get life.

But what do you think NSG?

Agree that this is monstrous, disagree with punishment.
They deserve the death penalty.
And I hope that the brother and sister gets the help they need for the undeserved guilt and trauma they will likely feel.
I don't hate much, child abusers and molesters though, I especially hate with a passion.
The government in America can best be described with an analogy. The two political parties are two cats, the elite is a rat, power is the cheese, and the common people is the floor. The floor feels two cats can guard the cheese better than one. But the cats fight each other, and the rat makes off with the cheese in glee. The floor cannot leave, and soon both cats serve the rat, because the rat has the all powerful cheese, and gives the cats a small bit of it. So the floor gets crapped on by all three, as they eat the cheese together.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:24 am

Telconi wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
Whether these specific people are capable of being reformed is beside the point. They probably aren't, but they can get life without parole if that's the issue. The problem with the death penalty is that if it's on the table for this case, it will also be legal to apply to other cases, and we haven't figured out a reliable way to prevent it from being misused in states where it is on the books.

For those of us who live in states like Texas abuse of the justice system at the individual's expense is not a possibility but a regular occurrence.
Last edited by Genivaria on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015

Postby Rusozak » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:27 am

Why can we require a license to be a parent that entails going through psychological evaluation?
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:28 am

Genivaria wrote:
Telconi wrote:

For those of us who live in states like Texas abuse of the justice system at the individual's expense is not a possibility but a regular occurrence.

The rate of abuse doesn't soil the action itself. I'm sure people are wrongly imprisoned more often than they are wrongly executed. This doesn't make imprisonment inherently wrong. More often still are people wrongly fined for traffic violations. This doesn't inherently invalidate traffic citations.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:28 am

Rusozak wrote:Why can we require a license to be a parent that entails going through psychological evaluation?

You mean why CAN'T we?
Fear of abuse of liberties I'd imagine.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:28 am

Genivaria wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Does Texas have a separate trial where the death penalty is approved or not? Because that's what we have here in Georgia. You have the trial to prove guilt and then after that you have the trial to apply the death penalty.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:28 am

Telconi wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

If you know how to prevent the abuse without abolishing the death penalty, please tell us.

The death penalty is not necessary. States that do not have it are not suffering from elevated crime rates. Therefore, abolishing it entirely is a practical solution. Until someone comes up with another solution, I support abolishing the death penalty.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:29 am

Rusozak wrote:Why can we require a license to be a parent that entails going through psychological evaluation?

Because that's totalitarian is fuck.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Trumptonium
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumptonium » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:29 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Trumptonium wrote:

Well ... yes ...

How?

The question you posed was whether the death penalty will be more effective in protecting other children [presumably from this offender]

The logical conclusion is that their elimination is quite obviously going to be more effective than keeping them imprisoned, in the rare case of them being broken out or administratively let out by mistake, or them being let out in the long term to re-offend if the failed to be rehabilitated.

Whether it's an 'effective' deterrent is pretty irrelevant in the question you have posed, because the only time it becomes relevant is if there's statistics out there showing that the existence of a death penalty makes people abuse children more than without one, or that the lack of a death penalty is a better/default status if it isn't effective enough, by whatever measurement.
Pro: Things and people I like
Anti: Things and people I dislike

https://www.bolsonaro.com.br/

Trumptonium
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumptonium » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:30 am

Telconi wrote:

But it's not totalitarian to say who can and can't drive?

Then again, the US considers the ability to keep guns a divine right and anything else is totalitarian.
Pro: Things and people I like
Anti: Things and people I dislike

https://www.bolsonaro.com.br/

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:31 am

Telconi wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
How?

Life without parole would prevent these people from reoffending. They aren't the type who are likely to escape and go on a killing spree. Wouldn't pick on a defenseless kid if they were tough like that.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:31 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Telconi wrote:

If you know how to prevent the abuse without abolishing the death penalty, please tell us.

The death penalty is not necessary. States that do not have it are not suffering from elevated crime rates. Therefore, abolishing it entirely is a practical solution. Until someone comes up with another solution, I support abolishing the death penalty.

However are states that have the death penalty suffering from high crime rates? If there's no difference between states that have the death penalty and states that don't then there's no real reason to keep or get rid of it except for moral reasons
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:32 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Telconi wrote:

I have ideas, but do I have a magical abuse proof solution? Of course not.

As for necessity, frankly none of this is 'necessary' it's all orchestrated in a complex cost benefit analysis.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015

Postby Rusozak » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:33 am

Telconi wrote:

And people have done SUCH a good job being responsible with their freedoms so far.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:34 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Life without parole would prevent these people from reoffending. They aren't the type who are likely to escape and go on a killing spree. Wouldn't pick on a defenseless kid if they were tough like that.

They may not be likely to, but it is theoretically possible. It isn't possible for them to re-commit post execution.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:34 am

Rusozak wrote:
Telconi wrote:

And people have done SUCH a good job being responsible with their freedoms so far.

Sure have.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:35 am

Telconi wrote:
Genivaria wrote:For those of us who live in states like Texas abuse of the justice system at the individual's expense is not a possibility but a regular occurrence.

The rate of abuse doesn't soil the action itself. I'm sure people are wrongly imprisoned more often than they are wrongly executed. This doesn't make imprisonment inherently wrong. More often still are people wrongly fined for traffic violations. This doesn't inherently invalidate traffic citations.

....okay I have no response to that, valid point.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General