NATION

PASSWORD

The Horrifying Vtech Hack of 2015

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

The Horrifying Vtech Hack of 2015

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:05 pm

Vtech Hack and the Horrifying Consequences

The latest details about a recent security breach at a kids’ toy company are in, and they are disturbing. A couple weeks ago, hackers successfully broke into the servers of connected toy maker Vtech and stole the personal information of nearly 5 million parents and over 200,000 nearly 6.4 million kids. What we didn’t know until now: The hackers stole pictures of kids, too. [Updated 12.01.2015 2:30pm]

This is very bad. The hacker’s identity is still unknown, but he’s been updating Motherboard with details about the hack. When the story broke a couple days ago, the site reported that the hacker broke into Vtech’s servers and stole the names, emails, passwords, download histories, and home addresses of 4,833,678 parents 4,854,209 parents who bought the company’s devices. The massive batch of data also contained the first names, genders, and birthdays of over 200,000 6,368,509 children, according to Vtech. Motherboard’s Lorenzo Francheschi-Bicchierai identified the hack as “the fourth largest consumer data breach to date.”

But then, this afternoon, the story took a turn for the terrifying when it became clhe hacker gained such broad access to Vtech’s servers that he also downloaded about 190-gigabytes of photos from the company’s Kid Connect service. This is a simple little app that lets parents chat with their kid using a Vtech tablet and a smartphone. The images themselves appear to be headshots that Vtech encourages its users to upload when using the app.

In a sense, the hack is comparable to someone breaking into Facebook and making off with all of your private information and photos. The major difference, of course, is that we’re talking about a company that makes devices for small children. The wifi-connected Vtech tablets are recommended for children between the ages of three and nine. Vtech also makes a digital camera and a camera-mounted smartwatch for the same age range. It’s certainly not the kids’ fault that a random hacker can see what they’re doing with their toys.

It is, however, Vtech’s fault. The news is dire enough that the company suspended trading on the Hong Kong stock exchange earlier today. This. after security researcher Troy Hunt revealed that Vtech failed to take even the most basic steps to secure its customers data—and their children’s. He writes:

For example, there is no SSL anywhere. All communications are over unencrypted connections including when passwords, parent’s details and sensitive information about kids is transmitted. These days, we’re well beyond the point of arguing this is ok – it’s not. Those passwords will match many of the parent’s other accounts and they deserve to be properly protected in transit.
You’d think if you were a children’s toy company hosting photos and addresses of small children on your server you’d at least encrypt the connections. The Vtech hacker says he used an old school SQL injection to break in and get root access to the company’s servers. “It was pretty easy to dump, so someone with darker motives could easily get it,” he told Motherboard. For what it’s worth, the hacker says he doesn’t plan on publishing the data publicly.

It’s hard to decide if you want to be horrified or downright angry about this situation. On one had, the Sony hack and Target breaches have shown that anyone can be an unwitting victim to a company’s weak security. However, the especially terrible security at Vtech makes you wonder if you should even be letting kids play with internet-connected toys. After all, it was just a few months ago that we learned how the new “Smart Barbie” could spy on kids. What else can go wrong?

I don’t have kids, so my opinion on this matter is somewhat uninformed. I do remember that my first favorite toy was Socrates, an educational robot made by—guess who—Vtech. Who knows what I typed into that little grey box of fun. If my parents ever had half of a suspicion that some pervert could gain access to my toy and watch me play, well, it probably would’ve been back to a Lego-only playtime for me. Now, in 2015, this is a very real possibility.

Say what you will about connected toys and cheap electronics for kids, but this Vtech bonanza should serve as a wakeup call to any and every company cutting corners on security. It should also be a weighty reminder to parents who would buy these devices that companies do cut corners on security. This not only puts their personal data at risk. Neglect puts kids at risk, too.

Update 12.01.2015 2:30pm: Vtech just published an FAQ about the hack, confirming what data was and was not compromised. The company says “An investigation is on-going” as to whether and how many photos may have been stolen, though it insists the photos were encrypted. We’ve updated this post with the latest numbers. Here’s Vtech’s breakdown:

In total 4,854,209 customer (parent) accounts and 6,368,509 related kid profiles worldwide are affected, which includes approximately 1.2 million Kid Connect parent accounts. In addition, there are 235,708 parent and 227,705 kids accounts in PlanetVTech. Kid profiles unlike account profiles only include name, gender and birthdate.

I got this from Gizmodo. And there are links inside the news itself, too. It's terrible that this happened. VTech itself didn't has the high security encryption too. What do you all think, as parents who have kids and as those who aren't parents yet or already parents and expecting kids?
Last edited by The Knockout Gun Gals on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

So Covenant declare a crusade and then wage jihad? :p

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:09 pm

Why the bloody hell are parents even telling a toy company the names and birthdays of their kids? Yeah the company should have kept the information safe once they had it, but really they should never have asked for it in the first place.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:10 pm

AiliailiA wrote:Why the bloody hell are parents even telling a toy company the names and birthdays of their kids? Yeah the company should have kept the information safe once they had it, but really they should never have asked for it in the first place.

A boggling issue for us.
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:13 pm

And this folks is why I'm glad I didn't grow up in the age of tablets and shit. Back when the best thing ever was a Nintendo 64. God I loved playing golden eye on that thing. Great system.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:14 pm

Tech companies not taking data security seriously enough? Well I never :p
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:15 pm

Senkaku wrote:Tech companies not taking data security seriously enough? Well I never :p

Something's wrong with your connections. :p

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:15 pm

Wireless things which record stuff can be hacked. As can databases of information.

I'm not sure why this even moderately surprises anyone anymore.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:15 pm

Senkaku wrote:Tech companies not taking data security seriously enough? Well I never :p

Though seriously what company needs a kids information
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:15 pm

the little man in my computer just had a tiny stroke, but all is well now

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:17 pm

Thermodolia wrote:

Though seriously what company needs a kids information

...I mean, a lot of them. Presumably they have to organize their shit somehow, name and birthday honestly seems pretty minimally intrusive compared to what some other companies collect on you.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:17 pm

If turning it off and back on again doesn't fix it ... I have nothing.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:17 pm

The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:Vtech Hack and the Horrifying Consequences

The latest details about a recent security breach at a kids’ toy company are in, and they are disturbing. A couple weeks ago, hackers successfully broke into the servers of connected toy maker Vtech and stole the personal information of nearly 5 million parents and over 200,000 nearly 6.4 million kids. What we didn’t know until now: The hackers stole pictures of kids, too. [Updated 12.01.2015 2:30pm]

This is very bad. The hacker’s identity is still unknown, but he’s been updating Motherboard with details about the hack. When the story broke a couple days ago, the site reported that the hacker broke into Vtech’s servers and stole the names, emails, passwords, download histories, and home addresses of 4,833,678 parents 4,854,209 parents who bought the company’s devices. The massive batch of data also contained the first names, genders, and birthdays of over 200,000 6,368,509 children, according to Vtech. Motherboard’s Lorenzo Francheschi-Bicchierai identified the hack as “the fourth largest consumer data breach to date.”

But then, this afternoon, the story took a turn for the terrifying when it became clhe hacker gained such broad access to Vtech’s servers that he also downloaded about 190-gigabytes of photos from the company’s Kid Connect service. This is a simple little app that lets parents chat with their kid using a Vtech tablet and a smartphone. The images themselves appear to be headshots that Vtech encourages its users to upload when using the app.

In a sense, the hack is comparable to someone breaking into Facebook and making off with all of your private information and photos. The major difference, of course, is that we’re talking about a company that makes devices for small children. The wifi-connected Vtech tablets are recommended for children between the ages of three and nine. Vtech also makes a digital camera and a camera-mounted smartwatch for the same age range. It’s certainly not the kids’ fault that a random hacker can see what they’re doing with their toys.

It is, however, Vtech’s fault. The news is dire enough that the company suspended trading on the Hong Kong stock exchange earlier today. This. after security researcher Troy Hunt revealed that Vtech failed to take even the most basic steps to secure its customers data—and their children’s. He writes:

For example, there is no SSL anywhere. All communications are over unencrypted connections including when passwords, parent’s details and sensitive information about kids is transmitted. These days, we’re well beyond the point of arguing this is ok – it’s not. Those passwords will match many of the parent’s other accounts and they deserve to be properly protected in transit.
You’d think if you were a children’s toy company hosting photos and addresses of small children on your server you’d at least encrypt the connections. The Vtech hacker says he used an old school SQL injection to break in and get root access to the company’s servers. “It was pretty easy to dump, so someone with darker motives could easily get it,” he told Motherboard. For what it’s worth, the hacker says he doesn’t plan on publishing the data publicly.

It’s hard to decide if you want to be horrified or downright angry about this situation. On one had, the Sony hack and Target breaches have shown that anyone can be an unwitting victim to a company’s weak security. However, the especially terrible security at Vtech makes you wonder if you should even be letting kids play with internet-connected toys. After all, it was just a few months ago that we learned how the new “Smart Barbie” could spy on kids. What else can go wrong?

I don’t have kids, so my opinion on this matter is somewhat uninformed. I do remember that my first favorite toy was Socrates, an educational robot made by—guess who—Vtech. Who knows what I typed into that little grey box of fun. If my parents ever had half of a suspicion that some pervert could gain access to my toy and watch me play, well, it probably would’ve been back to a Lego-only playtime for me. Now, in 2015, this is a very real possibility.

Say what you will about connected toys and cheap electronics for kids, but this Vtech bonanza should serve as a wakeup call to any and every company cutting corners on security. It should also be a weighty reminder to parents who would buy these devices that companies do cut corners on security. This not only puts their personal data at risk. Neglect puts kids at risk, too.

Update 12.01.2015 2:30pm: Vtech just published an FAQ about the hack, confirming what data was and was not compromised. The company says “An investigation is on-going” as to whether and how many photos may have been stolen, though it insists the photos were encrypted. We’ve updated this post with the latest numbers. Here’s Vtech’s breakdown:

In total 4,854,209 customer (parent) accounts and 6,368,509 related kid profiles worldwide are affected, which includes approximately 1.2 million Kid Connect parent accounts. In addition, there are 235,708 parent and 227,705 kids accounts in PlanetVTech. Kid profiles unlike account profiles only include name, gender and birthdate.

I got this from Gizmodo. And there are links inside the news itself, too. It's terrible that this happened. VTech itself didn't has the high security encryption too. What do you all think, as parents who have kids and as those who aren't parents yet or already parents and expecting kids?

That article is from December 1, 2015, almost two years ago.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:18 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:Vtech Hack and the Horrifying Consequences

That article is from December 1, 2015, almost two years ago.

keksimus maximus

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:19 pm

Apparently LeapFrog is a subsidiary of VTech, which is a Chinese company
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:24 pm

Albrenia wrote:Wireless things which record stuff can be hacked. As can databases of information.

I'm not sure why this even moderately surprises anyone anymore.

I think what makes us surprised is that this particular kids company didn't even bother to has a good security on their password and information.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:24 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Though seriously what company needs a kids information

...I mean, a lot of them. Presumably they have to organize their shit somehow, name and birthday honestly seems pretty minimally intrusive compared to what some other companies collect on you.

If you let them. How much do you want that service, and are there alternatives? If people just said they didn't want to it wouldn't really discourage them, but if the potential customer cared enough to walk away instead of handing over information they'd stop it quick.

"Just tell us your kid's birthday, and we'll send you a free reminder when it's coming up!" is not actually a service that's worth anything. How many kids would you have that you'd forget when any of their birthdays are?

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:25 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Though seriously what company needs a kids information

A lot of these companies have programs where they send the kid a letter with a coupon or something. Basically "Happy birthday Timmy! Here's a coupon so you can nag your mommy to come buy our stuff!"
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:25 pm

Oh, feck.

Guess I didn't saw the date. Sorry all.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:30 pm

Telconi wrote:
Senkaku wrote:...I mean, a lot of them. Presumably they have to organize their shit somehow, name and birthday honestly seems pretty minimally intrusive compared to what some other companies collect on you.

A lot of these companies have programs where they send the kid a letter with a coupon or something. Basically "Happy birthday Timmy! Here's a coupon so you can nag your mommy to come buy our stuff!"

Ya no. I'm not going to do that.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:33 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Ya no. I'm not going to do that.

Yes, but some people will, hence companies do it, because it makes them money and isn't illegal.

AiliailiA wrote:
Senkaku wrote:...I mean, a lot of them. Presumably they have to organize their shit somehow, name and birthday honestly seems pretty minimally intrusive compared to what some other companies collect on you.

If you let them. How much do you want that service, and are there alternatives? If people just said they didn't want to it wouldn't really discourage them, but if the potential customer cared enough to walk away instead of handing over information they'd stop it quick.

"Just tell us your kid's birthday, and we'll send you a free reminder when it's coming up!" is not actually a service that's worth anything. How many kids would you have that you'd forget when any of their birthdays are?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but such tradeoffs are pretty much everywhere nowadays when it comes to digital services. How much information about yourself are you willing to give away in order for certain services? How much are you willing to go without in order to maintain your privacy? How closely are you willing to read things to understand where your data's going and what's being done with it?

The Internet, man. Crazy shit.

Victoriaans Nederlands
Attaché

Founded: Oct 01, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Victoriaans Nederlands » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:41 pm

I would be that "old man" (actually, I'm just 22) and say that... to me, there's no logic in asking parents and kids to register a kid's toy, to put in emails and what not. As for the warranty, you ask? Well, keep your proof of purchase for that.

Whatever happened to just putting in batteries and letting kids play with them? If it is more advanced and your kid needs to save his progress, an offline account a la the days of SNES will suffice.
A puppet of Valentine Z.
The Herrlich Opperheerschappij of Victoriaans Nederlands - Scandinavian and European paradise. Seen as a combination of Netherlands, Germany and Russia. Civil and Political Rights are plenty, but with limits.
Okstovskaya wrote:Not a flag, -10/10
Using an image sourced from a cartoon, intended for the young, for a country's flag is a close approximation of using anime photos as PfP's on YouTube. Seriously, you need to learn vexillology, kid.
------
Easy, Samantha-Higgs. The others are crap, but [Victoriaans Nederlands] is the shit king.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:43 pm

Victoriaans Nederlands wrote:
Whatever happened to just putting in batteries and letting kids play with them?

The Age of the Internet is upon us, my friend

And we ain't going backwards

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:46 pm

Victoriaans Nederlands wrote:I would be that "old man" (actually, I'm just 22) and say that... to me, there's no logic in asking parents and kids to register a kid's toy, to put in emails and what not. As for the warranty, you ask? Well, keep your proof of purchase for that.

Whatever happened to just putting in batteries and letting kids play with them? If it is more advanced and your kid needs to save his progress, an offline account a la the days of SNES will suffice.

Hell the Nintendo 64 is even better. No internet or batteries necessary, yes I'm old
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:47 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Victoriaans Nederlands wrote:
Whatever happened to just putting in batteries and letting kids play with them?

The Age of the Internet is upon us, my friend

Grumbles about kids on mah lawn
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Senkaku wrote:The Age of the Internet is upon us, my friend

Grumbles about kids on mah lawn

Why do I have the feeling that you're fake old...
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General