NATION

PASSWORD

Knowingly exposing others to HIV no longer a felony in Cali

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Iridencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Iridencia » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:24 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Iridencia wrote:
That's a bad thing, sure, but this issue is less about whether or not the state considers it a felony and more that California made a conscious decision to go back on something that it was doing right in the first place. It's one thing to have always just been neglectfully fucking up, it's another to undo the progress and protections you already had in place. A lot of those states could potentially be chalked up to sheer laziness or apathy, which isn't good, but California is an out and about case of stupid ideas actively striving to make the state more dangerous than it was before.

So Texas just up and forgot to write a law about sexual relations when it comes to HIV? I highly doubt that

I said laziness and apathy, not forgetfulness, but it's irrelevant. The point still remains that those states started off with a stupid position and remain in it, California actively regressed backwards into a stupid position. Whether or not you think that's worse or better is subjective, but you can't deny that it comes with its own flavor of concern different from that of states that just never had these laws in the first place. It means that a shift is happening, and we should try to think about what this shift implies in a broader context.

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:24 pm

Eibenland wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:That does not excuse California at all.

How so? It makes the rants about insane Commiefornia look ridiculous.

One stupid decision does not make another stupid decision alright, it just makes all parties look stupid. California's stupid decision is not excused because Texas does not criminalise knowingly infecting a sexual partner with HIV.
Last edited by Minzerland II on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previous Profile: Minzerland
Donkey Advocate & Herald of Donkeydom
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:25 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Seangoli wrote:
It's right there in the original article: They hope to de-stigmatize HIV, and thus encourage people who may not get tested out of fear of being a felon. While it is super shitty for said people to not disclose they have HIV with people they have sex with, it is an even shittier outcome for people not to get tested in the first place and thus never know they have it (And take preventative action for spread of infection). The people are going to have sex with people either way, regardless of whether its a felony or not. Best they know about it, and best they get treatment to try and reduce it.

It's also not out of line with either California law or other state's Law; It seems that California was unusually harsh on the subject.

That said, I think people are misreading this as dealing with people whom intentionally spread the disease, which it doesn't seem to do. Rather, it seems this law applies to people who simply do not disclose they are HIV positive, though may not be trying to spread the disease.

It’s still irresponsible behavior. Though if this manages to work, then alright. People who intentionally spread the disease though should be treated like felons.

Well we already have 7 states where this is only a misdemeanor and several more where it's not even against the law. You could look up the transmission rates in those states and compare it with those where it's a felony. That's how you figure out if it works or not.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:27 pm

Iridencia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:So Texas just up and forgot to write a law about sexual relations when it comes to HIV? I highly doubt that

I said laziness and apathy, not forgetfulness, but it's irrelevant. The point still remains that those states started off with a stupid position and remain in it, California actively regressed backwards into a stupid position. Whether or not you think that's worse or better is subjective, but you can't deny that it comes with its own flavor of concern different from that of states that just never had these laws in the first place. It means that a shift is happening, and we should try to think about what this shift implies in a broader context.

Again Texas, the state that went nuts on abortion somehow just didn't get around to making this a felony? Ya I'm not buying what you are selling there.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:31 pm

National Syndicalist
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” - Julius Evola
Endorsing Greg "Grab 'em by the Neck" Gianforte and Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh for 2020

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:45 pm

Kramania wrote:
Improved werpland wrote:https://www.lambdalegal.org/blog/20170515_updating-hiv-criminal-laws-will-improve-public-health
SB 239 does not change California law with respect to disclosure of a person’s HIV status.

Current law does not require disclosure of one’s HIV-positive status prior to sexual activity. While it is true that the current HIV exposure statute applies only if the person did not disclose their HIV-positive status; mere nondisclosure isn’t a violation of the law. Rather, the person must also act with the specific intent to transmit HIV.

SB 239 would not change that.

Yes, the penalty is being lowered from a felony to a misdemeanor.

I believe I already stated as much in my OP.

That's not the point of the quote. It's about the distinction between non disclosure and intent to transmit HIV, which is something I can't imagine happens very often, if at all.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:48 pm

I love my home state just, so much.

What a stupid move. I can see the reason behind it, but it's just ridiculous.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:I love my home state just, so much.

It is ridiculous for the law to respond pragmatically to an issue?
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015

Postby Rusozak » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:52 pm

You do? Can you explain it to me then? Because I think of knowingly spreading a deadly disease as nothing short of attempted murder or biological warfare. Forget what the politicians say, if you KNOWINGLY spread it, you ARE a criminal.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:56 pm

Rusozak wrote:

You do? Can you explain it to me then? Because I think of knowingly spreading a deadly disease as nothing short of attempted murder or biological warfare. Forget what the politicians say, if you KNOWINGLY spread it, you ARE a criminal.

Easy solution, never get tested so that you do not ever know you are spreading it.
Just A Little though

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:02 pm

How to encourage testing to be done then while also keeping it being illegal for people to knowingly or carelessly spread disease they know they have?

Crockerland
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:06 pm

Albrenia wrote:How to encourage testing to be done then while also keeping it being illegal for people to knowingly or carelessly spread disease they know they have?

Make it criminal for them to spread the disease even if they don't know they have it. Unfortunate but the only solution that encourages testing while also upholding justice for victims of infection.
Free Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Tibet.
Gay not Queer / Why Abortion is Genocide / End Gay Erasure
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
National Liberalism, Nuclear & Geothermal Power, GMOs, Vaccines, Biodiesel, LGBTIA equality, Universal Healthcare, Universal Basic Income, Constitutional Carry, Emotional Support Twinks, Right to Life

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:13 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
The wealthiest county of Southern California is red - Orange County. People vote for various reasons, but labeling most red or most blue voters as X=Y, is silly. So not really sure what debate you guys were attempting there, but I'd rather talk about the law that was passed.

And the law that was passed really isn't a big deal because technically you could try them in federal court. As it's still illegal and a felony at the federal level

It's a fucked up law, because there will be some idiot, somewhere, that will now think that it's ok to taint a blood bank.

Improved werpland wrote:
Kramania wrote:And yet California and New York are depopulating.

And most of the most popular states to move to are Republican.

Watching you be snarky never stops being funny. You always just... fail.

This dubious source says New York but not California. It also says Kansas is depopulating, I wonder why?

Kansas is growing at 2%.

Seangoli wrote:
Herador wrote:...why though?

At work so I can't go over the actual bill but was this legislation for this thing specifically or was it a consequence of a bill's wording?

Fucking dumb either way, but it would enter a whole new realm of retardation if it was stand alone.

The reasoning is that since it was a felony, people may have been reluctant to get tested out of fear that now they would be 'on the hook', so to speak, if they infected someone.

The notion being that now people will be more willing to get tested, and thus more willing to get treatment, under this system. I have no knowledge over this, to be honest, and I have no idea if they have studied the issue at all. That said, it's not a particularly ridiculous concept, to be frank, as people are dumbasses who will do that.

In other words, this may have the consequence of reducing infections through reducing the stigma associated with HIV positive individuals. Maybe.

Get tested for HIV before you donate to a blood bank and if you're fucking someone, and you're unsure about your HIV status - use a condom.

Thermodolia wrote:So Texas just up and forgot to write a law about sexual relations when it comes to HIV? I highly doubt that

All depends on how much beer Texas Lawmakers have on a daily basis :P
Last edited by Shofercia on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:19 pm

Galloism wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Absolutely and utterly insane. I don’t know what they hope to accomplish with such a reckless law.

As Seangoli was explaining, it appears to be an effort to get people to get tested and treated and take care not to spread it. There was (allegedly) a fear of getting tested because you might be charged with a crime if you were found HIV positive and had a partner.

I'm not sure if they did any studies on it or not, but the rationale isn't insane.

But then why would they include the blood bank in said law? Is Jerry Brown secretly hoping that HIV positive people will donate blood?

Luminesa wrote:It’s still irresponsible behavior. Though if this manages to work, then alright. People who intentionally spread the disease though should be treated like felons.

Exactly!

Neutraligon wrote:

It is ridiculous for the law to respond pragmatically to an issue?

How is tainting blood banks with HIV a pragmatic solution?

Neutraligon wrote:
Rusozak wrote:

Easy solution, never get tested so that you do not ever know you are spreading it.

Shouldn't they test you before you donate blood to a blood bank?

Crockerland wrote:
Albrenia wrote:How to encourage testing to be done then while also keeping it being illegal for people to knowingly or carelessly spread disease they know they have?

Make it criminal for them to spread the disease even if they don't know they have it. Unfortunate but the only solution that encourages testing while also upholding justice for victims of infection.

Works for me.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:27 pm

HIV is so incredibly dangerous and permanent, it must be contained and avoided as much as is possible.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:29 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Crockerland wrote:Make it criminal for them to spread the disease even if they don't know they have it. Unfortunate but the only solution that encourages testing while also upholding justice for victims of infection.

Works for me.

How expensive is it to get tested? Are you going to be the one to try and force that law on the population? To basically make a law that so badly harms the poor and essentially makes them criminal because they cannot afford a test like that? You sure you want to basically criminalize having sex?
Just A Little though

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:33 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Works for me.

How expensive is it to get tested? Are you going to be the one to try and force that law on the population? To basically make a law that so badly harms the poor and essentially makes them criminal because they cannot afford a test like that? You sure you want to basically criminalize having sex?

>Basically criminalize having sex

Nice hyperbole but you went a little too far.

Crockerland
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:34 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Works for me.

How expensive is it to get tested?

Free if it's mandatory, fucking obviously.
Free Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Tibet.
Gay not Queer / Why Abortion is Genocide / End Gay Erasure
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
National Liberalism, Nuclear & Geothermal Power, GMOs, Vaccines, Biodiesel, LGBTIA equality, Universal Healthcare, Universal Basic Income, Constitutional Carry, Emotional Support Twinks, Right to Life

Arkandros
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkandros » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:39 pm

the average cost of an HIV test is $50 for a negative test, which gets expensive very quickly for a nonprofit like the red cross. The first number I found for the red cross' net "profit" on blood was 17 million in 1991, which only allows testing of 340,000 people (you could derive a better measure from their publicly available donation records and reimbursement rates, but I'm too lazy). Basically, it isn't feasible to test every person individually for HIV unless government funded, which would be a multi-billion dollar expense just for California. I personally believe that Crockerland had the right idea, making it criminal even if you don't know you have it. Responsibility for the testing and disclosure should fall to the infected person, and the law should reflect that.
Last edited by Arkandros on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.”
John F. Kennedy

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:47 pm

Someone who is successfully on medication has a near-zero (basically, as close to zero as you can get) chance of transmitting HIV to their partner. If someone has HIV under control and they have been found to be 'undetectable' then I don't see why they should have to go to prison for putting their partner at essentially 0 risk. Of course, morally and socially I think people should always be upfront about that - but a felony for essentially doing nothing of risk is a bit much.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:56 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:And the law that was passed really isn't a big deal because technically you could try them in federal court. As it's still illegal and a felony at the federal level

It's a fucked up law, because there will be some idiot, somewhere, that will now think that it's ok to taint a blood bank.

Nope. That's against the law to do so knowingly, federal laws still exist even when state laws might not. The Feds don't like that shit.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:58 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Works for me.

Free tests exist. At least 70% of the US population is within reach of a free clinic.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Arkandros
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkandros » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:59 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:Someone who is successfully on medication has a near-zero (basically, as close to zero as you can get) chance of transmitting HIV to their partner. If someone has HIV under control and they have been found to be 'undetectable' then I don't see why they should have to go to prison for putting their partner at essentially 0 risk. Of course, morally and socially I think people should always be upfront about that - but a felony for essentially doing nothing of risk is a bit much.

The point is more that disclosure should be present. Even if it is a one in a million chance, people might not be willing to engage in intercourse with someone who has HIV. This doesn't necessarily have to be blunt- explaining that they've been undergoing treatment and the HIV is undetectable probably would, and should, be part of the disclosure.
“I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.”
John F. Kennedy

Kollin
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kollin » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:42 am

This makes me sad. To be in Cali. And also a pansexual trans girl XD
Like wow thanks, now if someone fucks me in more ways than one there's nothin to care about! YAY GOVERNMENT

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:49 am

Glad I'm in AZ, not Cali. Brown is an idiot, and I say that as a Dem.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General