NATION

PASSWORD

What is your thought on marriage?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you want to get married why or why not?

Yes because I want to live the rest of my life with my BF or GF cause I love them so much
25%
No, because I don't want to be stuck with someone for life
3%
Yes because of those sweet sweet tax cuts.
3%
No, because I would rather like life to the fullest and not settle down
9%
Yes because I want to have a stable home for my future kids
17%
No, because I want kids but not a wife/husband
2%
Yes, for religious reasons
9%
No, not now but later on in life maybe.
33%

Total votes : 600

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:18 pm

Donut section wrote:
Senkaku wrote:

Most of the posts in this thread are men complaining about the difficulties of being in relationships with women.

Aka straight people problems. :p

Have you met any women?

"I don't like women. They are coarse and rough and irritating and they get everywhere."

Anyway, I don't want to get married, mainly because I'm discerning the Religious Life(priest, deacon, monk, friar, etc.). Even if I'm not a part of the religious life, I'll still probably be single. I mean, I've never dated anyone at all, mainly because I've never been interested in dating...or marriage...
Hell, I'm not even sure which option would be best suited for my predicament.
Last edited by Dylar on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Keshiland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:28 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Keshiland wrote:I also said that I will only marry someone who I feel will be a good mother. Parents are supposed to put the kids 1st

The problem here is that you will not be a good husband, that is the real issue here. A good husband would not treat his wife like a baby producing and rearing machine, and then divorce her as soon as the kids have left.

I never clamed I would be a good husband only that I would be a good father.
OOC- I am a Prolife Liberal who is Anti Gun, Pro Immigration, Pro UHC, Pro financial aid, and anything that makes children's lives better. I am also eco-friendly.

IC- The Federation of Keshiland stands for freedom and local governance. Requirements for state hood. A territory atleast 1,000 KL and a population of atleast 100k. Our Constitution keeps us free and can only be changed with a 3/4ths ratification of the states.

State count 135

Anywhere Else But Here
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Anywhere Else But Here » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:47 pm

Keshiland wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:The problem here is that you will not be a good husband, that is the real issue here. A good husband would not treat his wife like a baby producing and rearing machine, and then divorce her as soon as the kids have left.

If you make your spouse miserable it impacts on the kids. A bad husband is an imperfect father at best, and probably a shitty one.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:49 pm

Eh, I don't want to get married for a while, but eventjually, yes.

And marriage is going to be like religion. It may go down in popularity, but it's never truly going to go away.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:56 pm

Kyrinasaj wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:Just remove the legal recognition to it and I would be happy.

Why? Stable families are largely beneficial to society as a whole. Giving benefits to stable couples is the right thing to do. It sames very meaningless to abolish it. What would you suggest instead? Hedonism?

Does that work for couples who choose to have no children ?
And if you are concerned about stable families couldn't the same stability be achieved by providing child tax credits ?
Why should a married couple with no children pay less in Tax than me ?
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:57 pm

Anywhere Else But Here wrote:
Keshiland wrote:

If you make your spouse miserable it impacts on the kids. A bad husband is an imperfect father at best, and probably a shitty one.

I won't go out of my way to make her miserable. I will simply have my priorities Kids, Work, Wife. I will take off work anytime I need to for my kids, unless its literally life or death situation I won't do that for my wife.
OOC- I am a Prolife Liberal who is Anti Gun, Pro Immigration, Pro UHC, Pro financial aid, and anything that makes children's lives better. I am also eco-friendly.

IC- The Federation of Keshiland stands for freedom and local governance. Requirements for state hood. A territory atleast 1,000 KL and a population of atleast 100k. Our Constitution keeps us free and can only be changed with a 3/4ths ratification of the states.

State count 135

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:58 pm

Keshiland wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:The problem here is that you will not be a good husband, that is the real issue here. A good husband would not treat his wife like a baby producing and rearing machine, and then divorce her as soon as the kids have left.

Bad husbands do not make good fathers.

Divorce/ breaking up of a parental relationship is a terrible thing for kids to go through, and I speak from experience.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:58 pm

Keshiland wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:So your future wife would be nothing more than a baby-making machine for you, that you will ditch at the earliest opportunity? How degrading and demeaning for the poor woman. Note to all women: stay the hell away from Keshiland, if you want a future as a person, not as a machine to be discarded.

No not as a baby making machine. I will stay with her because I want all my kids to grow up in a 2 parent household, with a stable upbringing, and never being forced to choose between mom or dad or fear being split up or losing one of them. I would go crazy living alone with just my wife after all the kids move on. I need excitement and adventure staying at home with my wife would just be long sad day sulking over missing the kids.

Got it, you've never been in an actual relationship before.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Keshiland wrote:

No, you wouldn't. Bad husbands tend to be bad fathers due to their habit of causing dysfunction and family drama, which can seriously damage a child's social and emotional development.
Last edited by New haven america on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Kyrinasaj wrote:Why? Stable families are largely beneficial to society as a whole. Giving benefits to stable couples is the right thing to do. It sames very meaningless to abolish it. What would you suggest instead? Hedonism?

Does that work for couples who choose to have no children ?
And if you are concerned about stable families couldn't the same stability be achieved by providing child tax credits ?
Why should a married couple with no children pay less in Tax than me ?

In a way you do get a tax cut per child. The more children you have the more money you have to make to be moved up in a tax bracket. if you have 8 kids your at almsot 50K before being moved up into bracket 2.

State count 135

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:03 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Keshiland wrote:

Bad husbands do not make good fathers.

Divorce/ breaking up of a parental relationship is a terrible thing for kids to go through, and I speak from experience.

I know I went through that to even though it was clean and no backbiting or courts. That's why I will always refuse to divorce and just deal with it no matter how much I hate the marriage until the kids are grown up because I will never put them through that.

State count 135

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:08 pm

Keshiland wrote:
Sovaal wrote:Bad husbands do not make good fathers.

I know I went through that to even though it was clean and no backbiting or courts. That's why I will always refuse to divorce and just deal with it no matter how much I hate the marriage until the kids are grown up because I will never put them through that.

That can also affect children. I've read tons of stories of adults who's parents never divorced (Even though they really should have) leading them to have increadibly unhealthy views of relationships.

Though, this can also be vice versa, where getting divorced can harm a child's view of relationships (But comparatively, I've heard way more from the above example). Unrelated, I recommend you get some type of help, as your views on relationships are rather sad and immature...
Last edited by New haven america on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:09 pm

Really 'marriage' is something I consider to be a kind of formal draping on what I really want, which is companionship.
Loneliness is not fun.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:22 pm

Religious reasons were the primary motivation for my marriage. Secondary motivation was for our child (ren?)'s well being.

Having said that, I resent the legal ramification's of marriage.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Donut section

Founded:

Postby Donut section » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:23 pm

Genivaria wrote:Really 'marriage' is something I consider to be a kind of formal draping on what I really want, which is companionship.
Loneliness is not fun.

Heresy.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:24 pm

Keshiland wrote:

My folk's divorce was a miracle. I was so much better off afterwards than I was before. While I understand that statistically marriage is bad for kids, it had to be taken on a case by case basis.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:05 pm

I would like to get married at some point in my life, would like to have a stable situation though first and be in a relationship with someone i figure or know i would be with for a good long time and i really loved. Same with kids, wait till i have a stable situation first, am with someone i would like to have kids with and would be up for it and i can afford to sustain a family, which will not be a for a good while.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm not opposed to getting married, just no plans for it right now, nor is it an actual life goal.

Victores
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Victores » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:16 pm

I would never want to get married or have a relationship. I plan on following the example of Uncle Ho.
AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:21 pm

Keshiland wrote:

Well a bad marriage is just as bad tbh.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:51 pm

A m e n r i a wrote:I think marriage is beautiful. Not only do you vow to take care of your wife in front of God himself, you even make yourself responsible for her sins. If that isn't a sign of love, I don't know what is. Plus, marriage is the best thing that can happen to you, especially if you're Muslim. Imagine spending the rest of your life with your ideal woman happily ever after.

Marriage nowadays has nothing specifically to do with making your vows in front of God. I would get married (If I do) with no intention of sending any vows to God himself in the least,
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Internationalist Bastard
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Internationalist Bastard » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:54 pm

Marriage is purely a ceremonial commitment to someone you already are with. That said, I have been married and plan to do it again, it's a wonderful thing, just not really necessary by any means
Call me Alex, I insist
I am a girl, damnit
Slut Pride. So like, real talk, I’m a porn actress. We’re not all bimbos. I do not give out my information or videos to avoid conflict with site policy. I’m happy to talk about the industry or my thoughts on the career but I will not be showing you any goodies. Sorry
“Whatever you are, be a good one” Abe Lincoln

Ferret Civilization
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Ferret Civilization » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:31 pm

Not much of a General Discussion kind of person, but I guess reading some of the crazy stuff Keshiland puts out here has been highly amusing and watching The New California Republic along with many others try and shoot down their reasoning has just added to it all. While I for the most part disagree with pretty much all of Keshiland's thinking, I understand it completely. So I will just throw out there, that there are other people that have the same views with him that want the biological child and not the stranger of the opposite sex that makes them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/fashion/seeking-to-reproduce-without-a-romantic-partnership.html?mcubz=0
http://modamily.com/#home

So as long as Keshiland is honest and upfront with the person that they want to have a child with it could work out. Hell Keshiland could probably use the marriage arrangement with a Canadian to get that citizenship they so want to help with fleeing the US. Probably have a better chance at that than trying to take a language comprehension and other Canadian citizenship tests. Though seriously Keshiland, take the time to learn and understand the Canadian laws better than you have the US ones.
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:41 pm

Corrian wrote:
A m e n r i a wrote:I think marriage is beautiful. Not only do you vow to take care of your wife in front of God himself, you even make yourself responsible for her sins. If that isn't a sign of love, I don't know what is. Plus, marriage is the best thing that can happen to you, especially if you're Muslim. Imagine spending the rest of your life with your ideal woman happily ever after.

Marriage nowadays has nothing specifically to do with making your vows in front of God. I would get married (If I do) with no intention of sending any vows to God himself in the least,

My sister got married in front of a judge with about 6 witnesses.
She and my brother-in law seem very happy together and my niece is fucking adorable.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:46 pm

Reminder that marriage existed before Christianity, was mostly used for business, and in a lot of places, same sex marriage was perfectly legal.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General