NATION

PASSWORD

Secularist Discussions I: The Independence of The State

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Prestrainiskiy
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Secularist Discussions I: The Independence of The State

Postby Prestrainiskiy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:39 am

This is a thread dedicated to people who want to discuss secularism, state and religious affairs. I really want to discuss on this topic so much, yet I don't have much people who I can discuss with.

What is Secularism?
Secularism is the belief that state affairs and religion should be seperate. (i.e. Banning religious influence in public schools or institutions)

All about Secular reading materials:
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/secular-humanism

All about Secularism:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secularism
Last edited by Prestrainiskiy on Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prestrainiskiy, a leftist nation.

A proud member of the ISF (International Space Federation), IATA (International Anti-Terror Alliance) and the IEO (International Environmental Organization)

"Progress cannot be made without setbacks."

Independent Press --- 2019 General Elections underway --- Kublinka currently in crisis after rebellious elements attempt secession

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:03 am

What exactly is a discussion topic you had in mind? I'm interested in this thread as well.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:04 am

While I am in fact a Christian, I believe in a secular state government.

In the first place, to bring up the US and its constitution simply as an example why -- the founding fathers saw that religion was both used to oppress religious groups that were not the 'state religion' in European nations, and recognized that imposing religious laws on people who did not share that faith was unfair.

For the same reasons, I believe there must be a separation of church and state.

Does this mean that I don't believe the individual has a right to practice his or her own faith, and must hide it? No, absolutely not.

But as an educator in a public school, I will not discuss matters of my personal faith in the classroom. It is inappropriate to impose on a captive audience of young people, especially when they have their own beliefs.

Will I discuss how a writer's religious background shaped their work? Yes.

Will I discuss in terms of English history how Protestantism and Catholicism were tearing apart the nation as backers of each sect fought for the crown?
Yes.

Will I explain how the Church of England came into being? Yes.

Will I discuss the Massachusetts Bay Colony and their theocratic system of law when talking about The Crucible? Of course.

Will I acknowledge holidays my students may be celebrating, with a "Have a wonderful Eid/Rosh Hashanah/Lunar New Year?" Yes.

We can have discussions about the different faiths as long as I promote none as being superior; I have told my students that if they want to discuss matters of personal faith they can meet me in the department office (not during class time). I have been a visitor at the Christian, Jewish and Muslim clubs at my school as well.

What I find cringey is trying to impose religious beliefs on the unwilling through acts of law. That is not ok, not ever. So don't bar people from saying a quick grace over their own meal, or praying in a public place (though the Bible has its say on that, if done with the intention of being very public and attention seeking) but also don't force people to be a captive audience by insisting on a prayer everyone must listen to/take part of in a secular setting. Like a football game.

Matters of faith should be personal, not imposed through legislation. Otherwise, they are utterly meaningless. People should want to follow their faith out of a deep desire for what they consider good, not be forced to it unwilling.
Last edited by Katganistan on Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Destructive Government Economic System
Minister

Founded: Jun 15, 2017
Corporate Police State

Postby Destructive Government Economic System » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:25 am

Coming from a follower of the Holy Trinity, secularism is a very sensible way to govern a nation, or any city, based off the history of the past and the present.

For the past, I have recently been reading a book called Give Me Liberty! - The Fourth Addition. The first few chapters discuss the history of how America came to be. It primarily talked about Puritanism, which was the complete opposite of secularism at the time. You had to be Christian to vote, and those who questioned the Church were quickly excommunicated from their society. They were complete busy-bodies, and while they were economically sufficient during their reign over Massachusetts, nobody really wanted to stay there. Roger Williams, a questioner of Puritan governance, was one of those people who didn't want to stay there, and quickly founded Rhode Island, the first ever colony to have adopted secularism. It allowed for complete religious freedom for all types of beliefs, and religion was not a requirement to vote (which led to less internal conflicts). Also, what I found ironic of the Puritans was that while they believed that they were "the peaceful chosen ones by God," they inhumanely drove out the Native American tribes without the consideration to convert them into Christians as well. Self-centered people without much care for others, I know. Religion in politics was simply a no-no for the Puritans, since it both caused people to dissent against the Massachusetts Bay Colony government, and both raised questions since they are a religious colony, yet they didn't have the urge to convert others, primarily Indians, to Christianity. It was just a big mess for them.

As for the present, well, we have those Middle Eastern countries to think of. A clump of those nations run themselves through a religion that's even more questionable than the Puritanism belief in the late 16th century.
"All I wish is to see the world burn."
-The Great Uniter and Beast of the DGES
(By the way, the DGES is a servant to DEAREST LEADER of Psychotic Dictatorships.)
Just your typical guy who wants to have fun. Don't take this nation seriously,
ever.
I DO NOT use NS stats!
Keshiland literally wrote:I would give it a no. A country that lies about how free, or how great, or how humanitarian it is can never be developed. Example, NK lies and says they are democratic and are not, the US lies and says we are free yet we incarcerate millions for a medical plant. See we are basically a larger more populated North Korea.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:27 am

Destructive Government Economic System wrote:As for the present, well, we have those Middle Eastern countries to think of. A clump of those nations run themselves through a religion that's even more questionable than the Puritanism belief in the late 16th century.

They're corrupt dictatorships, not Islamic nations.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:33 am

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Destructive Government Economic System wrote:As for the present, well, we have those Middle Eastern countries to think of. A clump of those nations run themselves through a religion that's even more questionable than the Puritanism belief in the late 16th century.

They're corrupt dictatorships, not Islamic nations.

I think we can recognize that they are indeed corrupt dictatorships, and perhaps also agree that they do use the excuse of faith to impose religion-based laws?

Prestrainiskiy
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Prestrainiskiy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:49 am

Arkinesia wrote:What exactly is a discussion topic you had in mind? I'm interested in this thread as well.

I live in a very religious country, and I AM PISSED by the way religion holds our legislators by the neck. Our population is uncontrollable, poverty is everywhere, though I see my nation's overattachment to religion as a barrier for pro-contraception, even abortion, laws that will hopefully help distribute national resources in a small amount of people and reduce, even eradicate poverty altogether.

A proud member of the ISF (International Space Federation), IATA (International Anti-Terror Alliance) and the IEO (International Environmental Organization)

Independent Press --- 2019 General Elections underway --- Kublinka currently in crisis after rebellious elements attempt secession

Prestrainiskiy
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Prestrainiskiy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:51 am

Katganistan wrote:While I am in fact a Christian, I believe in a secular state government.

In the first place, to bring up the US and its constitution simply as an example why -- the founding fathers saw that religion was both used to oppress religious groups that were not the 'state religion' in European nations, and recognized that imposing religious laws on people who did not share that faith was unfair.

For the same reasons, I believe there must be a separation of church and state.

Does this mean that I don't believe the individual has a right to practice his or her own faith, and must hide it? No, absolutely not.

But as an educator in a public school, I will not discuss matters of my personal faith in the classroom. It is inappropriate to impose on a captive audience of young people, especially when they have their own beliefs.

Will I discuss how a writer's religious background shaped their work? Yes.

Will I discuss in terms of English history how Protestantism and Catholicism were tearing apart the nation as backers of each sect fought for the crown?
Yes.

Will I explain how the Church of England came into being? Yes.

Will I discuss the Massachusetts Bay Colony and their theocratic system of law when talking about The Crucible? Of course.

Will I acknowledge holidays my students may be celebrating, with a "Have a wonderful Eid/Rosh Hashanah/Lunar New Year?" Yes.

We can have discussions about the different faiths as long as I promote none as being superior; I have told my students that if they want to discuss matters of personal faith they can meet me in the department office (not during class time). I have been a visitor at the Christian, Jewish and Muslim clubs at my school as well.

What I find cringey is trying to impose religious beliefs on the unwilling through acts of law. That is not ok, not ever. So don't bar people from saying a quick grace over their own meal, or praying in a public place (though the Bible has its say on that, if done with the intention of being very public and attention seeking) but also don't force people to be a captive audience by insisting on a prayer everyone must listen to/take part of in a secular setting. Like a football game.

Matters of faith should be personal, not imposed through legislation. Otherwise, they are utterly meaningless. People should want to follow their faith out of a deep desire for what they consider good, not be forced to it unwilling.

I get your point, and sadly, that is very common here in my nation.

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:04 am

Prestrainiskiy wrote:
Arkinesia wrote:What exactly is a discussion topic you had in mind? I'm interested in this thread as well.

I live in a very religious country, and I AM PISSED by the way religion holds our legislators by the neck. Our population is uncontrollable, poverty is everywhere, though I see my nation's overattachment to religion as a barrier for pro-contraception, even abortion, laws that will hopefully help distribute national resources in a small amount of people and reduce, even eradicate poverty altogether.

I think pushing for better education standards is a path with lesser resistance and a path to improved prosperity outcomes. The rest of socially progressive policy is itself a natural product of that state of affairs.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Destructive Government Economic System » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:07 am

Prestrainiskiy wrote:

If you don't mind, what country do you even live in, or at least what continent? The reason why I'm asking this is because you seem to be living in the most non-secular place in the entire world.
Last edited by Destructive Government Economic System on Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
(By the way, the DGES is a servant to DEAREST LEADER of Psychotic Dictatorships.)
ever.
I DO NOT use NS stats!
Keshiland literally wrote:I would give it a no. A country that lies about how free, or how great, or how humanitarian it is can never be developed. Example, NK lies and says they are democratic and are not, the US lies and says we are free yet we incarcerate millions for a medical plant. See we are basically a larger more populated North Korea.

Prestrainiskiy
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Prestrainiskiy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:42 am

Arkinesia wrote:
Prestrainiskiy wrote:I live in a very religious country, and I AM PISSED by the way religion holds our legislators by the neck. Our population is uncontrollable, poverty is everywhere, though I see my nation's overattachment to religion as a barrier for pro-contraception, even abortion, laws that will hopefully help distribute national resources in a small amount of people and reduce, even eradicate poverty altogether.

I think pushing for better education standards is a path with lesser resistance and a path to improved prosperity outcomes. The rest of socially progressive policy is itself a natural product of that state of affairs.

I think we should look at it this way. Our huge population can't be controlled. Higher population = lower public service to the individual. Public services such as healthcare and education are compromised for we have larger class sizes and more people to cure or provide healthcare to. I believe that if we start with, yes, education, and accompany it with pro-abortion and mandatory or incentive-based one to two child policies (depending on the math done on population growth), it can drastically reduce population and improve educational and medical standards (unsure about the medical part though).

Prestrainiskiy
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Prestrainiskiy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:46 am

Destructive Government Economic System wrote:
Prestrainiskiy wrote:I live in a very religious country, and I AM PISSED by the way religion holds our legislators by the neck. Our population is uncontrollable, poverty is everywhere, though I see my nation's overattachment to religion as a barrier for pro-contraception, even abortion, laws that will hopefully help distribute national resources in a small amount of people and reduce, even eradicate poverty altogether.

If you don't mind, what country do you even live in, or at least what continent? The reason why I'm asking this is because you seem to be living in the most non-secular place in the entire world.

I live in a Southeast-Asian country (definitely not Singapore), the Philippines, in particular. I hate this place so much, if not for my national pride (i really lack national pride, but I feel like it's a quest for me to change this nation, delusional I know), i would've fucking left this goddamned shithole of a country.

Catholic zealots shitting over my government. They're assholes. I hope they all burn in hell.

WE REPEALED A GAY RIGHTS LAW, just because the zealots worked their bureaucratic magic. Oh wow. WOW.
Last edited by Prestrainiskiy on Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Prestrainiskiy
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Prestrainiskiy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:48 am

Prestrainiskiy wrote:

I live in a Southeast-Asian country (definitely not Singapore), the Philippines, in particular. I hate this place so much, if not for my national pride (i really lack national pride, but I feel like it's a quest for me to change this nation, delusional I know), i would've fucking left this goddamned shithole of a country.

The educational system is a fucking piece of crap. I hate the education system here so much. You don't learn anything, facility-wise, facilities are shit. TOILETS ARE GODDAMNED CLOGGED. CLOGGED!

Prestrainiskiy
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Prestrainiskiy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:52 am

Now if you're offended by my statements, LIVE HERE. Live here for a change and see what I mean.

Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Destructive Government Economic System » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:02 am

Prestrainiskiy wrote:
Prestrainiskiy wrote:

The educational system is a fucking piece of crap. I hate the education system here so much. You don't learn anything, facility-wise, facilities are shit. TOILETS ARE GODDAMNED CLOGGED. CLOGGED!

This is an overused sentence that everybody uses when having concern over others, but people say it for a reason: because they truly do feel concerned.

That sentence is: I send my best wishes in which you may improve the quality of your lifestyle.

Prestrainiskiy wrote:Now if you're offended by my statements, LIVE HERE. Live here for a change and see what I mean.

My mother came from China, and she said that it's a great country. I wouldn't want to live in Asian countries, like, at all. One of those reasons is because they literally eat domestic canines for celebratory purposes. It's just too chaotic and poverty is really common in that place (as a whole).
ever.
I DO NOT use NS stats!

Prestrainiskiy
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Prestrainiskiy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:22 am

Prestrainiskiy wrote:

This is an overused sentence that everybody uses when having concern over others, but people say it for a reason: because they truly do feel concerned.

That sentence is: I send my best wishes in which you may improve the quality of your lifestyle.

Prestrainiskiy wrote:Now if you're offended by my statements, LIVE HERE. Live here for a change and see what I mean.

My mother came from China, and she said that it's a great country. I wouldn't want to live in Asian countries, like, at all. One of those reasons is because they literally eat domestic canines for celebratory purposes. It's just too chaotic and poverty is really common in that place (as a whole).

If only the legislators would distance themselves fron zealots, this place would've been much better.

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:39 am

Prestrainiskiy wrote:

Effectively sterilizing the poor is a terrible way to combat poverty.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:49 am

I don't have a high opinion of secularism. I think people tend to take it to far. Religion is not a "private matter." Religious people must be able to express their beliefs in public. Government officials and employees should be free to talk about religion. They can even verbally encourage certain views, but they cannot force citizens to adopt those views. As for legislating religious principals, I don't see how this is different from legislating non-religious principals. Both come from a source of ethics. Secular ethics are not magically better than religious ethics (and I would say secular ethics have already been strongly influenced by religion).
Last edited by Hakons on Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Belle Ilse en Terre
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Belle Ilse en Terre » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:56 am

Prestrainiskiy wrote:

Are you suggesting that abortion ends poverty? Are you suggestion abortion is the solution to poverty?

I understand correlation, but I think your conclusion is faulty. While it is true that kids, to be raised, require money, but it is a great leap to declare that children are the only drain in money. Decision-making skills, for example, are probably more useful than avoiding the consequences of engaging in activities that lead to children. Some people are poor for their addictions, to drugs or alcohol, which which in some cases leads to circumstances in which you would consider abortion a helpful choice. Would it not be better to educate them about choosing to avoid drugs, and to make themselves appealing to employers, one way of which is to lead a moral life, to overcome addictions and to have self-mastery?
Proud Member of the Western Isles

-Put this in your sig if you're a Monarchy!
Political Views
Conservative Constitutional Monarchist, open to a bit of liberalism or socialism
A Level 27 Civilisation, according to this index.

United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:02 pm

True secularism is impossible because it is religion that created most of our cultural ideas of morality. When you remove the absoluteness of religious reasoning from moral discussions, then anything that can be argued for can be justified with enough public support.
Grumpy Grandpa of the LWDT and RWDT
Kantian with panentheist and Christian beliefs. Rawlsian Socialist. Just completed studies in History and International Relations. Asexual with sex-revulsion.
The world is grey, the mountains old, the forges fire is ashen cold. No harp is wrung, no hammer falls, the darkness dwells in Durin's halls...
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts
Borderline Personality Disorder, currently in treatment. I apologize if I blow up at you. TG me for info, can't discuss publicly because the mods support stigma on mental illness.

Pasong Tirad
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Pasong Tirad » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:23 pm

Prestrainiskiy wrote:

Catholic zealots shitting over my government. They're assholes. I hope they all burn in hell.

WE REPEALED A GAY RIGHTS LAW, just because the zealots worked their bureaucratic magic. Oh wow. WOW.

No, we didn't.

If you hate this place so much, well, I'm not going to tell you to leave but hey it sounds like you're capable of taking that route. If you're not going to leave, well, then you're pretty much stuck here hating everything, aren't you?

Prestrainiskiy
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Prestrainiskiy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:55 pm

Hakons wrote:I don't have a high opinion of secularism. I think people tend to take it to far. Religion is not a "private matter." Religious people must be able to express their beliefs in public. Government officials and employees should be free to talk about religion. They can even verbally encourage certain views, but they cannot force citizens to adopt those views. As for legislating religious principals, I don't see how this is different from legislating non-religious principals. Both come from a source of ethics. Secular ethics are not magically better than religious ethics (and I would say secular ethics have already need strongly influenced by religion).

That's not the point of secularism. Secularism aims to free the government and public institutions of religion. You can still practice your faith, though you can't put it in schools or legislation.

Prestrainiskiy
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Prestrainiskiy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:58 pm

United Muscovite Nations wrote:True secularism is impossible because it is religion that created most of our cultural ideas of morality. When you remove the absoluteness of religious reasoning from moral discussions, then anything that can be argued for can be justified with enough public support.

What I want is an ethical state, not a moral one.

Prestrainiskiy
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Prestrainiskiy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:00 pm

Pasong Tirad wrote:
Prestrainiskiy wrote:

No, we didn't.

If you hate this place so much, well, I'm not going to tell you to leave but hey it sounds like you're capable of taking that route. If you're not going to leave, well, then you're pretty much stuck here hating everything, aren't you?

Though I want to discuss more about this matter, I think it is to be taken in another thread. Care to discuss this further someplace else?

United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:01 pm

Prestrainiskiy wrote:
United Muscovite Nations wrote:True secularism is impossible because it is religion that created most of our cultural ideas of morality. When you remove the absoluteness of religious reasoning from moral discussions, then anything that can be argued for can be justified with enough public support.

What I want is an ethical state, not a moral one.

Those are synonyms.
Grumpy Grandpa of the LWDT and RWDT
Kantian with panentheist and Christian beliefs. Rawlsian Socialist. Just completed studies in History and International Relations. Asexual with sex-revulsion.
The world is grey, the mountains old, the forges fire is ashen cold. No harp is wrung, no hammer falls, the darkness dwells in Durin's halls...
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts
Borderline Personality Disorder, currently in treatment. I apologize if I blow up at you. TG me for info, can't discuss publicly because the mods support stigma on mental illness.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General