NATION

PASSWORD

Why the obsession with religiously-derived laws?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:10 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Vassenor wrote:So in today's round of shower thoughts, something hit me that I figured I might as well try and get everyone's views on.

What is with the current obsession with demanding laws be written to fit within religious edict? Since it just seems like every time the topic of abortion or LGBT rights comes up it's met with a flurry of "it needs to be banned because the bible says so".

Even leaving aside the whole cherry-picking aspect (like why only the bits of Leviticus that talk about homosexuality are valid but the rest isn't), this strikes me as kind of bad logic.

For starters, at least in the US the Constitution is very explicit that you can't actually do that ("Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion", which despite what everyone seems to think doesn't only mean that they can't stop you starting a religion).

There's also the element of hypocrisy involved, given that a lot of the people pushing that angle will also turn around and talk about the evils of religious law, at least when it comes from other religions.

So here's my open questions to the floor: Why are people so adamant about forcing biblical law into a system where it's not actually permitted, and what makes biblical law OK but Shariah and others the work of true evil?

Because it's evil when brown people do it, but great when white Christians do -- even though Christ was not white and was in fact(whispers) (((Christ))).
please don't hit me....

*uses your full name* Kat Gan Istan! You take those echo parens down this instant!
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:16 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Because it's evil when brown people do it, but great when white Christians do -- even though Christ was not white and was in fact(whispers) (((Christ))).
please don't hit me....

*uses your full name* Kat Gan Istan! You take those echo parens down this instant!

Sorry

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:53 am

Katganistan wrote:
Vassenor wrote:So in today's round of shower thoughts, something hit me that I figured I might as well try and get everyone's views on.

What is with the current obsession with demanding laws be written to fit within religious edict? Since it just seems like every time the topic of abortion or LGBT rights comes up it's met with a flurry of "it needs to be banned because the bible says so".

Even leaving aside the whole cherry-picking aspect (like why only the bits of Leviticus that talk about homosexuality are valid but the rest isn't), this strikes me as kind of bad logic.

For starters, at least in the US the Constitution is very explicit that you can't actually do that ("Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion", which despite what everyone seems to think doesn't only mean that they can't stop you starting a religion).

There's also the element of hypocrisy involved, given that a lot of the people pushing that angle will also turn around and talk about the evils of religious law, at least when it comes from other religions.

So here's my open questions to the floor: Why are people so adamant about forcing biblical law into a system where it's not actually permitted, and what makes biblical law OK but Shariah and others the work of true evil?

Because it's evil when brown people do it, but great when white Christians do -- even though Christ was not white and was in fact(whispers) (((Christ))).
please don't hit me....

> Implying all Christians are white.
> Implying all Muslims are brown or follow shariah law via OP's suggestion.

I mean, good shot, but you can only throw straw so far.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:12 am

Katganistan wrote:

please don't hit me....

Dammit, you reminded me of that one Fox News clip.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:13 am

Luminesa wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Because it's evil when brown people do it, but great when white Christians do -- even though Christ was not white and was in fact(whispers) (((Christ))).
please don't hit me....

> Implying all Christians are white.

Perhaps the moderation has opened up to Bantz, in which case good for them.

That being said, while religiously-derived laws and cultural overtones within the legal framework is a debate as old as time itself, there should be an understandable distinction between enforcing regulation that on pain of certificate or job would force a person either to violate their conscience. IE, forcing nuns at hospices to either promote or perform abortions, or enforcing anyone to write down messages they cannot agree with, such as the typical wedding cake controversies, and laws that inscribe theocratic standards. Such as the fairly recently removed Norwegian law that was removed that mandated 50% of the representatives had to be protestants or say Brunei's sharia. Within reasonable limits conscience should be protected, if not depending on where the pendulum swings it may come to hit religious and nonreligious people alike with measures that damage the economy and social fabric of the nation. Enforced speech in particular is a fugly trend.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:17 am

Herskerstad wrote:Perhaps the moderation has opened up to Bantz, in which case good for them. [...]

>mods
>bantz

That would be surprising.
Last edited by FelrikTheDeleted on Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:18 am

Honestly I think Satanism and Marx have it exactly right.
Religion adds poetry to the soulless void, it allows the willing suspension of disbelief, the wearing of our masks and flourishes and the drama and all that.
Without it, there is nihilism, the play is over, and we are forced to confront the void and recognize the futility of it all.

We would do better to add more soulful rhetoric and flourishes to secular and humanitarian efforts, rather than merely being against religious rule. When you attack religiously derived laws and offer no alternative structure, my suspicion is that the religious panic because it smacks of nihilism.

Gathering our supporters around a particular story, a particular narrative, about human destiny and history, could alleviate a lot of this. Transhumanism could serve this purpose, as could space exploration, but it needs to be the lynchpin, the guiding principle and goal, the promised land kind of thing.

I think anti-secularists want society to serve a purpose, not merely be an orgy of excess, and I sympathize with them on that. the civil rights movement had a lot of this, and the breakthroughs of MLK weren't "Anti-racist", so much as "Pro-equality."
His I have a dream speech is the most well known for a reason.

When we oppose religious laws, it should be with a goal in mind beyond just "We oppose this" and that goal should dominate our discussion of it.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:14 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:

Religion adds poetry to the soulless void, it allows the willing suspension of disbelief, the wearing of our masks and flourishes and the drama and all that.
Without it, there is nihilism, the play is over, and we are forced to confront the void and recognize the futility of it all.

We would do better to add more soulful rhetoric and flourishes to secular and humanitarian efforts, rather than merely being against religious rule. When you attack religiously derived laws and offer no alternative structure, my suspicion is that the religious panic because it smacks of nihilism.

Gathering our supporters around a particular story, a particular narrative, about human destiny and history, could alleviate a lot of this. Transhumanism could serve this purpose, as could space exploration, but it needs to be the lynchpin, the guiding principle and goal, the promised land kind of thing.

I think anti-secularists want society to serve a purpose, not merely be an orgy of excess, and I sympathize with them on that. the civil rights movement had a lot of this, and the breakthroughs of MLK weren't "Anti-racist", so much as "Pro-equality."

When we oppose religious laws, it should be with a goal in mind beyond just "We oppose this" and that goal should dominate our discussion of it.

But why oppose religious laws at all? What bearing does being a 'religious law' have on a law's validity?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:33 am

Telconi wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

But why oppose religious laws at all? What bearing does being a 'religious law' have on a law's validity?

I second this, ban all pork and put the Quran back into schools!!/s

Because most modern day nations are home to more then one religious group.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:37 am

Herskerstad wrote:
Luminesa wrote:> Implying all Christians are white.

Perhaps the moderation has opened up to Bantz, in which case good for them.

I highly doubt that.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:55 am

Sovaal wrote:
Telconi wrote:

I understand that, but what makes a religiously based law inherently different than any other? The Christian bible says "though shalt not kill" would you advocate for the legalization of homicide simply because the bible said not to? Or would you rather homicide remain illegal, because the law has value independent of it''s religious association?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:56 am

Sovaal wrote:
Telconi wrote:

I'd rather them not say, "because the Bible says so!" And replace it with, "because it doesn't agree with my moral beliefs!" But then again, that basically what a religion is for upholding moral beliefs.
Name: Ted
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.
I M P E R I A LR E P U B L I C

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:58 am

Myself being atheist-agnostic, I am strongly opposed to any religiously-derived laws. They simply go against basic scientific logic and only seem to lead to oppression. Here's some examples:

."Same-sex marriage should be illegal because it goes against the Bible and will destroy the traditional value of marriage" - I live in the UK, where same-sex marriage has been legal since 2013. Has the traditional value of marriage been destroyed? F NO. If two people - I don't give a damn about the gender - love each other and want to marry, why ban it?

."Abortion should be illegal because fetuses have souls" - Go see my posts on the abortion thread, m8. At least Ireland is having a referendum next year on scrapping that stupid law.

."Women should not be allowed to drive because they were created to raise children" - 1 - I don't believe in God. 2 - That still doesn't say women can't drive.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:01 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Sovaal wrote:I second this, ban all pork and put the Quran back into schools!!/s

I'd rather them not say, "because the Bible says so!" And replace it with, "because it doesn't agree with my moral beliefs!" But then again, that basically what a religion is for upholding moral beliefs.

Well, then that would inhibit all people who try to enforce their moral code on others. Can't have that happening.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:05 am

Telconi wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:I'd rather them not say, "because the Bible says so!" And replace it with, "because it doesn't agree with my moral beliefs!" But then again, that basically what a religion is for upholding moral beliefs.

Well, then that would inhibit all people who try to enforce their moral code on others. Can't have that happening.

Then what do you suggest. I mean what's your solution to the morality issue of abortion? Which side are you supposed to support? Moral issues pop up in practically everywhere.
I have hot takes, I like roasting the fuck out of bad takes, and I don't take shit way too seriously.

Aellex
Senator

Founded: Apr 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:06 am

Building a legal system based solely on ethics can lead to be pretty serious fuckening as anyone who ever read a little about ancient China can tell.
There need to be actual Moral at its core for it to be truly stable and there is nor can be no such thing as moral outside of Religion.
Citoyen Français. Disillusioned Gaulliste. Catholique.

Tombé au champ d'honneur, add 11400 posts.

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

RIP Balk, you were too good a shitposter for this site.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:08 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Then what do you suggest. I mean what's your solution to the morality issue of abortion? Which side are you supposed to support? Moral issues pop up in practically everywhere.

My solution, don't do it. As to moral issues popping up everywhere, we need to create a system where laws are scrutinized based upon actual societal good, not upon rather (.5X)+1 people agree with it.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:14 am

Aellex wrote:Building a legal system based solely on ethics can lead to be pretty serious fuckening as anyone who ever read a little about ancient China can tell.
There need to be actual Moral at its core for it to be truly stable and there is nor can be no such thing as moral outside of Religion.

Seriously, morals can and do exist outside religion. Take humanism, for instance. It has its own morals based on maximising human happiness. And it shares many with existing religions, such as "Do not kill other people"

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:19 am

Telconi wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:Then what do you suggest. I mean what's your solution to the morality issue of abortion? Which side are you supposed to support? Moral issues pop up in practically everywhere.

My solution, don't do it. As to moral issues popping up everywhere, we need to create a system where laws are scrutinized based upon actual societal good, not upon rather (.5X)+1 people agree with it.

What determines the actual societal good? Is it the majority? Or the minority? Is it the pious? Or the Impious? Or are you suggesting compromise?

Aellex
Senator

Founded: Apr 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:20 am

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:Seriously, morals can and do exist outside religion. Take humanism, for instance. It has its own morals based on maximising human happiness. And it shares many with existing religions, such as "Do not kill other people"

It has ethics, not moral. Those might seems the same to the untrained eye but they actually aren't.
Citoyen Français. Disillusioned Gaulliste. Catholique.

Tombé au champ d'honneur, add 11400 posts.

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

RIP Balk, you were too good a shitposter for this site.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:24 am

Holy Tedalonia wrote:
Telconi wrote:

What determines the actual societal good? Is it the majority? Or the minority? Is it the pious? Or the Impious? Or are you suggesting compromise?

Any action that inherently brings harm to other people is against the societal good. I think a law should have to demonstrate legitimate harm to be acceptable.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:24 am

Aellex wrote:
Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:Seriously, morals can and do exist outside religion. Take humanism, for instance. It has its own morals based on maximising human happiness. And it shares many with existing religions, such as "Do not kill other people"

It has ethics, not moral. Those might seems the same to the untrained eye but they actually aren't.

Morality is the basis of right and wrong. I consider culture being the other side of the coin in morality, since our cultures dictate what's right and wrong sometimes. (Like being polite to a noble because he's superior for some reason)

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:25 am

Aellex wrote:Building a legal system based solely on ethics can lead to be pretty serious fuckening as anyone who ever read a little about ancient China can tell.

...Haven't you previously been pushing the idea of Laïcité on the world stage pretty hard?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:26 am

Ethics and morality are highly related, with most differences being between the accepted "good" principles, values, and behavior of a community set by some sort of code of conduct (ethics) and an individuals own ideas of what is "right" and what is "wrong" when it comes to principles, behavior, etc (morality).

If that is the line that is to be drawn, then saying that those without a religion cannot have morals is simply and utterly false.
Last edited by Napkiraly on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Holy Tedalonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Tedalonia » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:30 am

Telconi wrote:
Holy Tedalonia wrote:What determines the actual societal good? Is it the majority? Or the minority? Is it the pious? Or the Impious? Or are you suggesting compromise?

Any action that inherently brings harm to other people is against the societal good. I think a law should have to demonstrate legitimate harm to be acceptable.

But how is that considered good? Sharia law for some Muslims In the world would be against your ideal. And if you let them get away unpunished (in their eyes) how is that good? Does that not make the society worse off? A man unpunished?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General