NATION

PASSWORD

Why the obsession with religiously-derived laws?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:05 pm

Stormwrath wrote:
Destructive Government Economic System wrote:Religion shouldn't have a place in politics. If you enforce a law that is based off of a religious belief, then you are going to be opposed by people of another religious belief. It's just too feeble to openly discuss in politics.

As for the OP's question, it's because people want religious freedom. The New England colonies are the best example of this that you're going to get.

Okay, I guess we shouldn't enforce laws against murder, theft, and adultery, aye? After all, not all of us are Jews and Christians. :roll:

Murder and theft do not need divine utterances to make them illegal, and why should adultery be illegal?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

The of Japan
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2016

Postby The of Japan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:06 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Stormwrath wrote:Okay, I guess we shouldn't enforce laws against murder, theft, and adultery, aye? After all, not all of us are Jews and Christians. :roll:

Murder and theft do not need divine utterances to make them illegal, and why should adultery be illegal?

because fucking a married man/woman is wrong?
Texan Communist and Internationalist

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:09 pm

The of Japan wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Murder and theft do not need divine utterances to make them illegal, and why should adultery be illegal?

because fucking a married man/woman is wrong?

Why? It may be unethical but why should it be against the law?
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Stormwrath
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stormwrath » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:10 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Stormwrath wrote:Okay, I guess we shouldn't enforce laws against murder, theft, and adultery, aye? After all, not all of us are Jews and Christians. :roll:

Very well then, how do you know it's wrong to murder or steal?

And come on, very few would tolerate someone fucking his/her spouse, even in places where you can commit adultery. Plus, adultery being legal kinda makes the whole point of marriage moot.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:12 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:I know, I just use it for any Arabic religious term I use

No it's not

https://www.google.com/search?q=heathen ... ve&ssui=on But still, heathen is used in a derogatory way. Kafir isn't, and just because some do doesn't mean you ban its use.

A word of advice from your friendly neighborhood Mod, be careful how you use "kafir." It's derogatory meanings by some people can get you in trouble unless you are very careful in setting the context for it's use.

Yes, sir/ma'am.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Stormwrath wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Murder and theft do not need divine utterances to make them illegal, and why should adultery be illegal?

And come on, very few would tolerate someone fucking his/her spouse, even in places where you can commit adultery. Plus, adultery being legal kinda makes the whole point of marriage moot.

Murder and theft damage society as a whole. Adultery does not. And decriminalizing adultery does not make marriages pointless. Is your commitment to another person so fragile that you require the threat of legal punishment to keep you faithful to them?

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:16 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Stormwrath wrote:Very well then, how do you know it's wrong to murder or steal?

Murder and theft damage society as a whole. Adultery does not. And decriminalizing adultery does not make marriages pointless. Is your commitment to another person so fragile that you require the threat of legal punishment to keep you faithful to them?

my wife earned a brown belt taking lessons from a sparring partner of Bruce Lee, that threat is enough for me
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:16 pm

May I ask the OP to define religiously derived law ?
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:25 pm

Stormwrath wrote:

Is this another one of those "atheists can't have morality" things?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:31 pm

REDACTED
Last edited by FelrikTheDeleted on Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:31 pm

Vassenor wrote:

Same bullcrap as usual. Religion did not and does not give us the reason for murder, theft and other such harms to be illegal. Not all of us require threat of punishment from the divine to be decent human beings.

Victores
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Victores » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:32 pm

Because most people think that their religion is more important than the laws of the State, but they don't want to break laws. Therefore they want these two sets of laws to be the same. My religion doesn't really have a legal code though, so I wouldn't know
AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN AMIN

Kubumba Tribe
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kubumba Tribe » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:33 pm

Victores wrote:Because most people think that their religion is more important than the laws of the State, but they don't want to break laws. Therefore they want these two sets of laws to be the same. My religion doesn't really have a legal code though, so I wouldn't know

What religion do you adhere to?
Pro: (Pan-)Islamism--Palestine--RBG--Choice to an extent--Giving land back to Native Americans--East--Afrika--etc.
Anti: US gov--West gov--Capitalism--Imperialism/Colonialism--Racism/White Supremacy--Secularism getting into everything--Western 'intervention' in the East--Zionism--etc.
I'm a New Afrikan Muslim :) https://www.16personalities.com/isfj-personality Sister nation of El-Amin Caliphate
Farnhamia wrote:A word of advice from your friendly neighborhood Mod, be careful how you use "kafir." It's derogatory usage by some people can get you in trouble unless you are very careful in setting the context for it's use.

This means we can use the word, just not in a bad way. So don't punish anyone who uses kafir.

Victores
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Victores » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:43 pm

Kubumba Tribe wrote:
Victores wrote:Because most people think that their religion is more important than the laws of the State, but they don't want to break laws. Therefore they want these two sets of laws to be the same. My religion doesn't really have a legal code though, so I wouldn't know

What religion do you adhere to?

Confucianism. The Communist leaning-branch that rejects some of the more reactionary teachings.

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:50 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

Murder and theft damage society as a whole. Adultery does not.

TIL that breaking promises isn't damaging in anyway to society, and that trust between the members of society isn't important.
And decriminalizing adultery does not make marriages pointless.

Of course it does. If you sign a contract with someone else, but there are no ramifications or consequences for breaking that contract, what is the point of having a contract?
Is your commitment to another person so fragile that you require the threat of legal punishment to keep you faithful to them?

Or, rather, is my wife unable to keep herself faithful to me? Well, she will be more likely to be faithful if she will be punished for being unfaithful.
Previous Profile: Minzerland
Donkey Advocate & Herald of Donkeydom
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:54 pm

Minzerland II wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Murder and theft damage society as a whole. Adultery does not.

TIL that breaking promises isn't damaging in anyway to society, and that trust between the members of society isn't important.
And decriminalizing adultery does not make marriages pointless.

Of course it does. If you sign a contract with someone else, but there are no ramifications or consequences for breaking that contract, what is the point of having a contract?
Is your commitment to another person so fragile that you require the threat of legal punishment to keep you faithful to them?

Or, rather, is my wife unable to keep herself faithful to me? Well, she will be more likely to be faithful if she will be punished for being unfaithful.

Piffle. I didn't say that breaking promises wasn't important, simply that it doesn't need to be criminalized. The remedy for adultery is a nice, savage divorce. And how nice for your wife to find out you don't think she has the moral fortitude to stay faithful to you without a looming legal punishment.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:01 pm

Stormwrath wrote:

One the first one because it harms others

For the second. No making adultery legal doesn't make marriage moot. People can still get married.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:

Piffle. I didn't say that breaking promises wasn't important, simply that it doesn't need to be criminalized.

Although marriages are, in their most basic form, promises through and through, it is probably more accurate to call marriage a contract; which has legal ramifications for obvious reasons.
The remedy for adultery is a nice, savage divorce.

If they committed adultery, I fail to see how this is very damaging; they didn't seem to care for the marriage anyway.
And how nice for your wife to find out you don't think she has the moral fortitude to stay faithful to you without a looming legal punishment.

I don't have a wife, that was just a statement to make my point. Nevertheless, not all people have the fortitude to be faithful in marriage without ramifications for being unfaithful.
Last edited by Minzerland II on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:23 pm

Minzerland II wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Piffle. I didn't say that breaking promises wasn't important, simply that it doesn't need to be criminalized.

Although marriages are, in their most basic form, promises through and through, it is probably more accurate to call marriage a contract; which has legal ramifications for obvious reasons.

Hence, divorce, which frequently occurs when a partner is unfaithful.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:24 pm

Vassenor wrote:

Yes. Because unless a man in the sky hands you a book, how would you know right from wrong, Vass? :roll:
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

The of China
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 25, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby The of China » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:25 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Yes. Because unless a man in the sky hands you a book, how would you know right from wrong, Vass? :roll:

that is slightly misinterpreting the argument

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:33 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

>Christians don't believe the Bible was written by God
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:37 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:

Hence, divorce, which frequently occurs when a partner is unfaithful.

As I said, I don't think they care for the marriage anyway if they commit adultery. They need to be punished through more than termination of the contract.

United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:39 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Look, if you're going to attack Christian beliefs, you should at least describe them correctly.
Grumpy Grandpa of the LWDT and RWDT
Kantian with panentheist and Christian beliefs. Rawlsian Socialist. Just completed studies in History and International Relations. Asexual with sex-revulsion.
The world is grey, the mountains old, the forges fire is ashen cold. No harp is wrung, no hammer falls, the darkness dwells in Durin's halls...
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts
Borderline Personality Disorder, currently in treatment. I apologize if I blow up at you. TG me for info, can't discuss publicly because the mods support stigma on mental illness.

The of China
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 25, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby The of China » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:40 pm

United Muscovite Nations wrote:
Senkaku wrote:Yes. Because unless a man in the sky hands you a book, how would you know right from wrong, Vass? :roll:

Look, if you're going to attack Christian beliefs, you should at least describe them correctly.

at least, jesus

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General