NATION

PASSWORD

Gun Control

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Am I right?

Yeah, mostly, seems agreeable.
22%
Dunno/Not sure/Not American and I think that matters
7%
Nah, you're crazy. Guns should be more restricted.
20%
Nah, you're crazy. Guns should be less restricted.
44%
JC Christ CM come back when the meds wear off
7%

Total votes : 1002

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:29 pm

Nevada Communes wrote:

Grinning Dragon wrote:Owning firearms is of no great harm to society, these tools themselves do not endanger society or peoples lives.

Except for the fact that the US. has the highest incidence of mass shootings in the world? Keep telling yourself that.

Grinning Dragon wrote:There is a balance of rights, and when a right (whether it is a negative or a positive right) is infringed upon, we have laws and the courts to determine the extent of said infringements, this is part of your "intelligent governance"

Yes, but, as my entire point has been this whole time and you all seem to be missing on - I don't even take an issue with rights but rather with the rhetoric that the constitution itself is sufficient.

Owning something is NOT a danger until said tool/object is put to use in a dangerous manner. Households all throughout America contain many items that could be used dangerously, the fact of the matter an object in of itself is not dangerous until it is interacted with in an unsafe manner. Conflating ownership to mass shootings is disingenuous and dishonest not to mention correlation does not imply causation.

As for the Constitutionality of arms, don't know what else to say, but it is the highest law of the land and this should be sufficient enough as far as I am concerned.

Euslavia
Attaché

Founded: Sep 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Euslavia » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:39 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Euslavia wrote:But are rights 'natural?' Saecularly speaking (let's not entangle religion into this for discussion's sake), rights are only a license that those in power (control over the means of production) give to those who don't have that kind of control. Basically, rights depend only on those who rule. Nothing is otherwise 'self-evident.' If self-evidence were real, then political outcomes would be independantly identical to those of America. But they are not.

'Rights' are simply an attempt to dogmatise otherwise temporary and relatively arbitrary license. Remember no human being is truly autonomous (the typicalrationale behind complete freedom). Each human being is born of another (even if accounting laboratory circumstances). Thus, we are from our very conception, we are dependent on others. Our reason, substituing for normal animal instinct, is what gives us a sense of autonomy, but it's only an illusion. Without collective co-operation, there would be no human civiliation. Completely autonomous humans would survive and sometimes reproduce at best, but would hardly advance. Collective, directed effort gave us such physical marvels like the ancient pyramids, despite the relative technical backwardness of the time when they were constructrd.

Look at the colony-dwelling insects. Ants and bees would rule the world if they could bypass instinct (inability to weigh competing outcomes). We humans have that option and rather than allowing individualist fragmentation, we could collectively advance, based on collective organisation led by rational rather than instinctive direction.

Pseudophilosophy, on the other hand, can go fuck itself.

Crass ad hominem is an easy defence, I will admit that.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Euslavia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Because you can't understand that people have natural human rights? Besides philosophy can go fuck itself

But are rights 'natural?'

I would say yes.
Saecularly speaking (let's not entangle religion into this for discussion's sake), rights are only a license that those in power (control over the means of production) give to those who don't have that kind of control. Basically, rights depend only on those who rule.

Wrong. You only have to see the political dissidents in authoritarian countries to see that this is not true. Those in power do not give us the ability to think, to form our own opinions, to speak out. That comes from within us.
Nothing is otherwise 'self-evident.' If self-evidence were real, then political outcomes would be independantly identical to those of America. But they are not.

Again, not true. Humans are individuals. Our experiences in life are nobody else's save our own, as with what we gleam from it. As such every person's political outlook is uniquely their own (well so much that they actually exercise the piece of hardware between their ears).

'Rights' are simply an attempt to dogmatise otherwise temporary and relatively arbitrary license. Remember no human being is truly autonomous (the typicalrationale behind complete freedom).

No, rather that each human is an equal of the others around him, and as such that those in power hold no special powers over others in regard to their right. They don't give others rights, they merely choose whether to be dicks about it an oppress those rights or not.

Each human being is born of another (even if accounting laboratory circumstances). Thus, we are from our very conception, we are dependent on others.

Doesn't mean that others are in ultimate control of our natural processes.
Our reason, substituing for normal animal instinct, is what gives us a sense of autonomy, but it's only an illusion. Without collective co-operation, there would be no human civiliation.

And without individual reasoning, their would be no human civilization either.
Completely autonomous humans would survive and sometimes reproduce at best, but would hardly advance. Collective, directed effort gave us such physical marvels like the ancient pyramids, despite the relative technical backwardness of the time when they were constructrd.

That doesn't detract from the fact that every human is an individual who is ultimatey the only only in control of his or her own actions.

Look at the colony-dwelling insects. Ants and bees would rule the world if they could bypass instinct (inability to weigh competing outcomes).

They already rule the world. For every human there's some estimated 400 million insects. But to build a civilisation? Not enough brain power there.
We humans have that option and rather than allowing individualist fragmentation, we could collectively advance, based on collective organisation led by rational rather than instinctive direction.

Our entire advancement has been at the hands of individuals. Collectives of individuals, yes, but individuals nonetheless. And authoritarian police states like you're advocating for don't seems like good progress to me, or the majority of western civilization.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:15 pm

Euslavia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Pseudophilosophy, on the other hand, can go fuck itself.

Hardly crass considering the weak argument you gave there.

• INTP
  • All American Patriotic Constitutionalist/Classic libertarian (with fiscal conservatism)
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

I support Capitalism do you? If so, put this in your sig.

XY = Male, XX = Female

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:05 pm

Euslavia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Pseudophilosophy, on the other hand, can go fuck itself.

Ad hominem would be an attack on you. I labeled the argument you gave as pseudophilosophy. It was an attack on the unnecessary verbose wordage you used that reeked of pretentiousness, it wasn't an attack against you personally.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:12 am

Elwher wrote:While I do not agree that the 2nd is obsolete under modern conditions, the answer for those who do is not to try to work around it or hope SCOTUS changes their collective mind, but to amend the constitution itself. When it was decided that having the State legislatures appoint Senators, an amendment went in to force direct elections. When it was decided that a progressive income tax was needed, amendment time.

There is no part of the Constitution not amendable if enough people want it badly enough.

That's the gun-grabber problem: not enough support to amend the constitution and repeal the Second Amendment. This is why they go about banning guns piecemeal or by attempting to do an end-run around the constitution with frivolous lawsuits designed to put gun manufacturers out of business.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Republic of Keshiland
Minister

Founded: Oct 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Keshiland » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:10 pm

Finally back in Canada. Anyway enjoy the Carnage you refuse to stop.
I am pro-life, anti-gun, pro-immigration, pro UHC, pro-free college, pro universal income, anti-war, anti-death penalty, pro-financial ade, pro anything that makes children's lives better.

I finally realised how messed up English was when I read a sign in French and could comprehend half of it despite never learning any French

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:12 pm

Republic of Keshiland wrote:Finally back in Canada. Anyway enjoy the Carnage you refuse to stop.

Guns are legal in Canada. If you want a gun free paradise you might want to go to East Asia, your authoritarian views may better received.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Wysten
Minister

Founded: Apr 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Wysten » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:14 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Republic of Keshiland wrote:Finally back in Canada. Anyway enjoy the Carnage you refuse to stop.

Guns are legal in Canada. If you want a gun free paradise you might want to go to East Asia, your authoritarian views may better received.

:rofl:
Famous qoutes
"Half the battle is fought on the OOC forums"
~ Albert Tzu, 1984
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your signature!
GENERATION 15: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Republic of Keshiland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Keshiland » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:14 pm

Sovaal wrote:

Yeah but they have to have a reason and prove they are not dangerous before getting one. Also no murderous slave patrol in Canada
I am pro-life, anti-gun, pro-immigration, pro UHC, pro-free college, pro universal income, anti-war, anti-death penalty, pro-financial ade, pro anything that makes children's lives better.

I finally realised how messed up English was when I read a sign in French and could comprehend half of it despite never learning any French

Wysten
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Wysten » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:15 pm

Republic of Keshiland wrote:
Sovaal wrote:Guns are legal in Canada. If you want a gun free paradise you might want to go to East Asia, your authoritarian views may better received.

Yeah but they have to have a reason and prove they are not dangerous before getting one. Also no murderous slave patrol in Canada

What the hell is our murderous slave patrol?
Famous qoutes
~ Albert Tzu, 1984
GENERATION 15: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:15 pm

Yeeeeeeeeessssssss, "carnage" it does a body good, it fuels the very gates of Kaeresh, and soon it will be at full power to unleash my army of kid soul sucking army of forgotten misfit weapons of war zombies, and my world domination will be complete. MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Republic of Keshiland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Keshiland » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:16 pm

Wysten wrote:

What the hell is our murderous slave patrol?

The police force that was born from slave patrol just look same color uniform same shape bagde just police officer instead of slave patrol

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:17 pm

Wysten wrote:What the hell is our murderous slave patrol?

The police force that was born from slave patrol just look same color uniform same shape badge just police officer instead of slave patrol

:rofl:

Wysten
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Wysten » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:17 pm

The police force that was born from slave patrol just look same color uniform same shape bagde just police officer instead of slave patrol

You do realize that in 2015 9 unarmed black men were shot total.
Famous qoutes
~ Albert Tzu, 1984

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 25, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Len Hyet » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:17 pm

Was bullshit the first time you said it
Is bullshit now
Conclusion: you're full of bullshit
=][= Founder, 1st NSG Irregulars. Our Militia is Well Regulated and Well Lubricated!
On a formerly defunct now re-declared one-man campaign to elevate the discourse of you heathens.
American 2L. No I will not answer your legal question.

Republic of Keshiland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Keshiland » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:20 pm

Wysten wrote:

You do realize that in 2015 9 unarmed black men were shot total.

0 unarmed people were shot in all of EU AU and CA

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:20 pm

Are you still saying that apples and oranges are the same thing? We disproved your "theory" (if it can even be called that) several weeks ago.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:20 pm

Wysten wrote:You do realize that in 2015 9 unarmed black men were shot total.

0 unarmed people were shot in all of EU AU and CA

That's just simply not true...
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:21 pm

Uhm... the whole slave patrol thing's a bit of a stretch.

I can only speak for Australia, but over here we don't have nearly as many unarmed people being shot by police - but it is still higher than 0.
Last edited by Albrenia on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:25 pm

Sovaal wrote:Guns are legal in Canada. If you want a gun free paradise you might want to go to East Asia, your authoritarian views may better received.

Yeah but they have to have a reason

Source? Also, many suburbanite Canadians own guns, including AR 15s, for target and competition shooting.
and prove they are not dangerous before getting one.

If you have a criminal record here in the US you can't get one either, but eh, kinda being pedantic here.
Also no murderous slave patrol in Canada

First off, unrelated.
Second, Canada had slaves.
Third, there is no longer any slave patrol in the US, nor has there been one in over a hundred and fifty years.
Fourth, then why would you want cops to be the only ones with guns?

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Republic of Keshiland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Keshiland » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:26 pm

Albrenia wrote:Uhm... the whole slave patrol thing's a bit of a stretch.

I can only speak for Australia, but over here we don't have nearly as many unarmed people being shot by police - but it is still higher than 0.

Oh I guess I just didn't see the news still American style policing is not normal

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:27 pm

No police force around today has any direct, if any, connection to old slave patrols. Just because you claim they look similar doesn't mean that they're the same.
In fact, the oldest police force in the US is the Boston PD.
Last edited by Sovaal on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Wysten
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Wysten » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Oh I guess I just didn't see the news still American style policing is not normal

Yes because we all know the news will totally give us all the facts like Micheal Brown the Soft Caring giant.
Last edited by Wysten on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Famous qoutes
~ Albert Tzu, 1984

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 25, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Len Hyet » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:27 pm

He says, offering no evidence other than "well duh"
=][= Founder, 1st NSG Irregulars. Our Militia is Well Regulated and Well Lubricated!
On a formerly defunct now re-declared one-man campaign to elevate the discourse of you heathens.
American 2L. No I will not answer your legal question.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General