NATION

PASSWORD

Movie sells massive 3 tickets

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Blasted Craigs
Ambassador

Founded: May 31, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Movie sells massive 3 tickets

Postby Blasted Craigs » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:49 pm

Not really a serious issue, simply thought it was funny.
I actually like Shia Labeouf, although I think lately he has gotten off the reservation a little since Trump won the national election( He cray cray now)
Well, he released a new film in England, Man down.
It sold one ticket on opening day...
But, not to worry! Sales doubled the next day, and it sold two tickets the following day.
There's an avatar joke here, I am sure of it.

So, discussion...
How embarrassed would you be, if you were a major Hollywood star, and your newest movie only sold three tickets in two days, generating a massive 21 pounds of revenue?
http://variety.com/2017/film/box-office/shia-labeouf-film-sells-single-ticket-on-u-k-opening-but-receives-forces-boost-1202023290/
////////////////
I'd probably die of laughter, as I have a strong streak of self deprecating sense of humor.
The government in America can best be described with an analogy. The two political parties are two cats, the elite is a rat, power is the cheese, and the common people is the floor. The floor feels two cats can guard the cheese better than one. But the cats fight each other, and the rat makes off with the cheese in glee. The floor cannot leave, and soon both cats serve the rat, because the rat has the all powerful cheese, and gives the cats a small bit of it. So the floor gets crapped on by all three, as they eat the cheese together.

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:59 pm

he's an Artiste isn't he?

and this is some strange marketing strategy to earn the movie Cult status by being the most unwatched movie in the history of cinema

I bet by next year people will be holding festivals dedicated to not watching this movie

I know I wont be watching it - I'm That Cool 8)
Last edited by Cetacea on Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krasny-Volny
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krasny-Volny » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:15 pm

Who bought the 3 tickets, that's what I want to know.
Krastecexport. Cheap armaments for the budget minded, sold with discretion.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:22 pm

So a film playing in one cinema didn't sell well. What a shocker.

Also why are we dredging up stuff from back in April anyway?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:27 pm

Vassenor wrote:So a film playing in one cinema didn't sell well. What a shocker.

Also why are we dredging up stuff from back in April anyway?

TBF even a single screen movie should generate more than 1 ticket on opening day.

And Yeah, old news is old.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:31 pm

For a moment I thought the title was implying a movie sold three literally massive tickets. That would have been awkward to carry around.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:39 pm

Blasted Craigs wrote:How embarrassed would you be, if you were a major Hollywood star, and your newest movie only sold three tickets in two days, generating a massive 21 pounds of revenue?

I'd be really pissed at my distributor. And I'd hope that none of the three audience members were film critics. ;)
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:42 pm

Albrenia wrote:For a moment I thought the title was implying a movie sold three literally massive tickets. That would have been awkward to carry around.

I'm sorry ma'am, you can't take that into the auditorium. It's too big, see it won't even fit through the door.
Wait. No, I'm sorry. You can't enter without your ticket. I know, I've seen the ticket. That's just the rule, you can only enter WITH the ticket.

Well you're entitled to your opinion, ma'am. Those are the rules. None of the other customers are complaining are they?

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:49 pm

Albrenia wrote:For a moment I thought the title was implying a movie sold three literally massive tickets. That would have been awkward to carry around.

If they did, would you be required to pay with those massive gag checks?
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:09 pm

Sovaal wrote:

If they did, would you be required to pay with those massive gag checks?

Or giant credit card. Park your glazier's truck out the front and they bring the card scanner to it.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:33 pm

Meh. An article in the on-line Fortune said this at the end:

Man Down is far from the only recent film with high-profile stars to see its U.K. box office sales barely register as a blip. Box Office Mojo's tracking data for movie ticket sales across the U.K., Ireland, and Malta shows that a drama starring Richard Gere and Dakota Fanning called The Benefactor grossed only $35 in those regions last year. Cell, a horror movie starring John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson, took in only $51 in the same countries.

Maybe the problem is that the UK and Ireland just don't appreciate great American art. Pity.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:03 pm

Farnhamia wrote:Meh. An article in the on-line Fortune said this at the end:

Man Down is far from the only recent film with high-profile stars to see its U.K. box office sales barely register as a blip. Box Office Mojo's tracking data for movie ticket sales across the U.K., Ireland, and Malta shows that a drama starring Richard Gere and Dakota Fanning called The Benefactor grossed only $35 in those regions last year. Cell, a horror movie starring John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson, took in only $51 in the same countries.

Maybe the problem is that the UK and Ireland just don't appreciate great American art. Pity.

Those Brits not appreciating all the effort we put into Car Chases, explosions, and slapstick. I think if they had oil either on the island or near by we should go liberate them.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:05 pm

Blasted Craigs wrote:Not really a serious issue, simply thought it was funny.
I actually like Shia Labeouf, although I think lately he has gotten off the reservation a little since Trump won the national election( He cray cray now)
Well, he released a new film in England, Man down.
It sold one ticket on opening day...
But, not to worry! Sales doubled the next day, and it sold two tickets the following day.
There's an avatar joke here, I am sure of it.

So, discussion...
How embarrassed would you be, if you were a major Hollywood star, and your newest movie only sold three tickets in two days, generating a massive 21 pounds of revenue?
http://variety.com/2017/film/box-office/shia-labeouf-film-sells-single-ticket-on-u-k-opening-but-receives-forces-boost-1202023290/
////////////////
I'd probably die of laughter, as I have a strong streak of self deprecating sense of humor.

It was a one screen showing at a theater that specializes in showing movies American Expats might see and the movie had been released in the US a year ago.

Could it be that all the Americans who wanted to see the film had already seen it.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:21 pm

Going to the movies is obsolete, everyone is viewing everything from online now.

It appears that film studios will have to make most if not all of their money from internet streaming platforms such as Hulu or Netflix, and copyright enforcement. There will be a much narrower window for profit because films which are over 2 years old can generally be seen online at no cost. The quality might not be there, but point is- it is view-able and easy enough for people to bypass having to pay anything just as people avoid all forms of online advertising.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:49 pm

Farnhamia wrote:Meh. An article in the on-line Fortune said this at the end:

They never did. Boston tea pARTy, totally misunderstood.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:21 pm

From the link in the OP:

Such low openings are not unprecedented in the U.K., as titles are frequently given a token theatrical release to help generate VOD and later DVD sales, according to distribution sources. Bulldog Film Distribution saw its release of “Misconduct,” starring Oscar winners Al Pacino and Anthony Hopkins, hit the headlines when it opened with £97 ($140) last June, on its way to a £2,006 ($2,890) total gross.

... and...

“Man Down” distributor Signature has generated headlines for low box office results on films with A-list stars in the past with films like Emma Watson title “The Colony,” which grossed a total of £633 ($844) after an opening weekend of £47 ($63) in July last year. Signature releases Arnold Schwarzenegger vehicle “Aftermath” this Friday.

“Man Down” premiered at the Venice Film Festival in 2015. It co-stars Kate Mara, Jai Courtney and Gary Oldman.

This isn't exactly uncommon for Signature. It's intentional, actually, and really has nothing to do with Shia.
Last edited by Camicon on Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:19 am

Nothing compared to Zyzzyx Road.

Cost $1.2 million. Sold 4 tickets because two tickets were refunded. Made a total of $20.

It would appear this movie was released elsewhere. It's made $136,000+.
Last edited by The Rich Port on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:24 am

The Rich Port wrote:Nothing compared to Zyzzyx Road.

Cost $1.2 million. Sold 4 tickets because two tickets were refunded. Made a total of $20.

It is hard to count Zyzzyx Road as the lowest grossing movie because it had to fulfil one of the Screen Actors Guild requirements for low-budget films, which includes releasing it to cinema.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:40 am

Minoa wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:Nothing compared to Zyzzyx Road.

It is hard to count Zyzzyx Road as the lowest grossing movie because it had to fulfil one of the Screen Actors Guild requirements for low-budget films, which includes releasing it to cinema.

A movie cinema they rented for one week for $1,000.

One movie cinema, one week.
Last edited by The Rich Port on Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:42 am

Although, to be fair to Zyzzyx Road, they made some of the money back. The film was released on DVD in 23 countries, including Bulgaria, Indonesia, and Portugal. By the end of 2006, the film earned around $368,000.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:53 am

The Rich Port wrote:
Minoa wrote:It is hard to count Zyzzyx Road as the lowest grossing movie because it had to fulfil one of the Screen Actors Guild requirements for low-budget films, which includes releasing it to cinema.

I don't get the point? That sounds quite cheap to me.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:54 am

AiliailiA wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

I honestly don't know either. :lol:

$1.2 million, you think they'd splurge a little more on, you know, making the money back.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:06 am

The Rich Port wrote:
AiliailiA wrote:

I honestly don't know either. :lol:

$1.2 million, you think they'd splurge a little more on, you know, making the money back.

They can pay the actors less royalty if it's a "low-budget" film, and make more money in the cable or DVD release. And $1000 is cheap. Cinema in Dallas.

Apparently it went to DVD in the US, in 2012. I don't know how much it's made in total but I'd guess more than the $1.2 million

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General