NATION

PASSWORD

Should Parents Have the Right to Force Religious Belief?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should parents be allowed to try to dictate a child's religious beliefs?

Yes, it's their child. Let them teach their child what they believe best.
17%
They can tell them about their beliefs, but allow them to convert to other things if they choose to.
53%
Certain religions, like ones that cause harm or do illegal things, shouldn't be legally accepted or taught by responsible parents.
9%
No, and don't plant seeds of your beliefs in their heads either.
11%
Mandatory teachings of the true god of man, Max Barry, for all youth.
10%

Total votes : 265

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:54 pm

Constantinopolis wrote:Should Parents Have the Right to Force Children to Speak the Parents' Native Language?
Should Parents Have the Right to Force Children to Attend the Kindergarten or Primary School that the Parents want?
Should Parents Have the Right to Force Children to Wear the Clothes that the Parents Picked for Them?
Should Parents Have the Right to Force Children to Participate in Secular Cultural Practices that the Parents Participate in?

Yes, yes, yes, yes. Of course they should. Of course parents should have the right to teach children to follow the same beliefs and values and cultural practices - including religious ones - that the parents follow.

If the children don't like it, they can decide for themselves when they grow up. Not before.

pretty much this ^
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Trumptonium
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumptonium » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:01 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Socio Polor wrote:I agree with this too, do it's also good for a parent to assist and support their child anyway they can.

And charge them only minimal rent. *nod*

...what kind of parent charges rent?

never heard of this, is this an American thing?
Pro: Things and people I like
Anti: Things and people I dislike

https://www.bolsonaro.com.br/

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:12 pm

Trumptonium wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:And charge them only minimal rent. *nod*

Usually for adult children living with their parents, not minors.

Though I do claim Dad Tax from my sons from time to time and sneak a bite off of something. :p

On topic... depends on the age I suppose. And by what you mean by force. There's a whole hell of a lot of variables here, though I find myself mostly in agreement with the OP.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:13 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Trumptonium wrote:

Usually for adult children living with their parents, not minors.

Though I do claim Dad Tax from my sons from time to time and sneak a bite off of something. :p

On topic... depends on the age I suppose. And by what you mean by force. There's a whole hell of a lot of variables here, though I find myself mostly in agreement with the OP.

Should I have included a smiley, Sensei?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:27 pm

Great Nepal wrote:No, absolutely not - what you described in the OP should be seen and treated as abuse. Want to teach your child about your religion - fine that is akin to proselytizing, but once you past the line into actively preventing them from following another religion (or not following any religion) that should be stopped by the state.

And, what? "You can't expect your child to say grace at your table?"

ACS is going to take kids from their families for being too religious?

Come on now.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:30 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:No, absolutely not - what you described in the OP should be seen and treated as abuse. Want to teach your child about your religion - fine that is akin to proselytizing, but once you past the line into actively preventing them from following another religion (or not following any religion) that should be stopped by the state.

Come on now.

no more cold borsht mommie

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:30 pm

No. In fact just about all the big religions are pretty explicit that an individual cannot be compelled to believe.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:32 pm

Trumptonium wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:And charge them only minimal rent. *nod*

The kind of parent who has an adult child still living at home?

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:35 pm

Feel free to teach your kids about your faith, but don't force it upon them. There's no laws against forcing your kid to go to church if they don't want to (nor should there be), but it's still a thing only crappy parents would do.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:37 pm

Vassenor wrote:No. In fact just about all the big religions are pretty explicit that an individual cannot be compelled to believe.

Right.

As I recall it wasn't until I was a teen (15? 16) that I received confirmation, and a big part of it was to honestly think about whether we were ready to or even wanted to commit to following Catholicism.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:40 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
NERVUN wrote:Usually for adult children living with their parents, not minors.

Should I have included a smiley, Sensei?

Reckon so. ~_^
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:41 pm

Albrenia wrote:Feel free to teach your kids about your faith, but don't force it upon them. There's no laws against forcing your kid to go to church if they don't want to (nor should there be), but it's still a thing only crappy parents would do.

Depends. Again, age is a question because there are many places kids don't want to be but need to go to due to parents going.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Trumptonium wrote:

The kind of parent who has an adult child still living at home?

I disagree. I don't think a parent should ever tax or force their child for having to pay rent. In my honest opinion I think a child should be able to stay home for no matter how long, as long as they continue to show respect to the household

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:51 pm

Socio Polor wrote:
Katganistan wrote:The kind of parent who has an adult child still living at home?

I disagree. I don't think a parent should ever tax or force their child for having to pay rent. In my honest opinion I think a child should be able to stay home for no matter how long, as long as they continue to show respect to the household

Eh, to be fair, some parents do it out of necessity. It's either the adult kid contributes rent, or there's no house for anybody. Mouths to feed and what not.

At the same time, of course, children aren't asked to be born. Children should not be forced to contribute to the family if the parents can afford it, especially if the children don't want to.

You can't afford a child, don't bring them into this world and hoist your troubles onto them.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Constantinopolis wrote:Should Parents Have the Right to Force Children to Speak the Parents' Native Language?
Should Parents Have the Right to Force Children to Attend the Kindergarten or Primary School that the Parents want?
Should Parents Have the Right to Force Children to Wear the Clothes that the Parents Picked for Them?
Should Parents Have the Right to Force Children to Participate in Secular Cultural Practices that the Parents Participate in?

Yes, yes, yes, yes. Of course they should. Of course parents should have the right to teach children to follow the same beliefs and values and cultural practices - including religious ones - that the parents follow.

If the children don't like it, they can decide for themselves when they grow up. Not before.

pretty much this ^

There is a gigantic difference between enforcing things like basic hygiene and good manners in a kid and forcing doctrine on them.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:53 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Albrenia wrote:Feel free to teach your kids about your faith, but don't force it upon them. There's no laws against forcing your kid to go to church if they don't want to (nor should there be), but it's still a thing only crappy parents would do.

Depends. Again, age is a question because there are many places kids don't want to be but need to go to due to parents going.

When a child is old enough to stay home by themselves, around 11-12 years of age, they should be able to choose whether they want to attend church with their parents or whoever

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:54 pm

NERVUN wrote:

True that, I didn't consider kids too young to be left home alone. In -that- case it's not crappy, I agree.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:56 pm

Katganistan wrote:

Come on now.

You can expect them to say whatever you want, you just can't punish them if they decide to praise allha for the food instead. ;)
No, the state should rather obviously take measures depending on the incident - the case like one described in the OP where parents are actively preventing the child from practising their faith yes, your case issue a warning scaling up to citation if child complains.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:04 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
pretty much this ^

There is a gigantic difference between enforcing things like basic hygiene and good manners in a kid and forcing doctrine on them.

Manners, values, and religion go hand in hand for many people. If the parents believe those values are something their child should be taught, nothing should stop them.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:06 pm

You can't force belief. That's silly.

Do parents have the right to raise their children as Christians, or in any other ideological-ethical-epistemological framework? Sure, for the most part.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:06 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Manners, values, and religion go hand in hand for many people. If the parents believe those values are something their child should be taught, nothing should stop them.

Nothing? Not common sense? Not respect for their child's desires? Not criminal law? Not civic law? Not child abuse laws?
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:07 pm

Parents have a right to teach their children morals, and for a lot of people ( I dare say most ) said morals come from religion. A kid may very well disagree with what his parents have to say about the nature of the matter, but they are still a kid and thus still under the jurisdiction of their parents and are more than free to live how they please when they are adults.

And on a side note, we Christians are actually instructed to teach our children about God: Deuteronomy 6:6-7
Orthodox Christian, Nationalist, Reactionary, Stoic

(2 Kings 2:23-25): you won't be dissappointed

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:10 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Nothing? Not common sense? Not respect for their child's desires? Not criminal law? Not civic law? Not child abuse laws?

No. Because none of those things would be applicable.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:12 pm

Socio Polor wrote:
Katganistan wrote:The kind of parent who has an adult child still living at home?

Pffft, the point of parenting is to produce competent adults who can survive on their own. 30 year olds living in mommies basement is a failure in parenting

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:16 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Socio Polor wrote:I disagree. I don't think a parent should ever tax or force their child for having to pay rent. In my honest opinion I think a child should be able to stay home for no matter how long, as long as they continue to show respect to the household

Eh, to be fair, some parents do it out of necessity. It's either the adult kid contributes rent, or there's no house for anybody. Mouths to feed and what not.

At the same time, of course, children aren't asked to be born. Children should not be forced to contribute to the family if the parents can afford it, especially if the children don't want to.

You can't afford a child, don't bring them into this world and hoist your troubles onto them.

Ethel mermania wrote:
pretty much this ^

Behavior is behavior you are just placing a value on what behavior you approve of or npt.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:17 pm

Republic of the Cristo wrote:Parents have a right to teach their children morals, and for a lot of people ( I dare say most ) said morals come from religion. A kid may very well disagree with what his parents have to say about the nature of the matter, but they are still a kid and thus still under the jurisdiction of their parents and are more than free to live how they please when they are adults.

And on a side note, we Christians are actually instructed to teach our children about God: Deuteronomy 6:6-7

“Give me just one generation of youth, and I'll transform the whole world.” ?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General