NATION

PASSWORD

9/11 seems so long ago...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:49 pm

Computer Lab wrote:I was only 4 at the time, so I don't remember it well, and I am sorta convinced what vague memories I do have were constructed after the fact. My oldest brother remembers being in class and watching it happen on tv.

I just found out a few years ago that my aunt and uncle were in New York at the time. IIRC they were on their honeymoon and the hotel they were staying at was right across from the towers. They weren't at the hotel when it happened, and they spent the rest of the day trying to leave the city. They left their suitcases and even traded one of my aunt's dresses for access to a phone to let the family know they were okay.

I know there are more details I am forgetting, but I only heard the story once, and I haven't told it very often, so it is hard to remember.

Who takes their honeymoon in NYC?
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Suicune
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 18, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Suicune » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:30 pm

I was 7 when it happened, but I remember the day so vividly. Coming home after school, seeing it everywhere on the TV. gj humanity.
Blank canvas

Commonwealth of Hank the Cat
Minister

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Commonwealth of Hank the Cat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:35 pm

Did they ever find out what UA 93 was aimed at? I read that Osama Bin Laden wanted to hit the Capitol Building, but the other leaders wanted to hit the White House.

Computer Lab
Envoy

Founded: Mar 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Computer Lab » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:37 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Computer Lab wrote:I was only 4 at the time, so I don't remember it well, and I am sorta convinced what vague memories I do have were constructed after the fact. My oldest brother remembers being in class and watching it happen on tv.

I just found out a few years ago that my aunt and uncle were in New York at the time. IIRC they were on their honeymoon and the hotel they were staying at was right across from the towers. They weren't at the hotel when it happened, and they spent the rest of the day trying to leave the city. They left their suitcases and even traded one of my aunt's dresses for access to a phone to let the family know they were okay.

I know there are more details I am forgetting, but I only heard the story once, and I haven't told it very often, so it is hard to remember.

Who takes their honeymoon in NYC?

Apparently my aunt and uncle. Maybe it wasn't their honeymoon. Maybe it was some other vacation shortly after they got married. I did say my grasp on details is a little fuzzy.
Please, call me Phil.

Sailence
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sailence » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:58 pm

Vallermoore wrote:And yet I still remember the unique horror of it even now. The planes crashing into buildings like a superhero film where all the superheroes were on strike, the damage and the deaths. Do you think fifty or more years later the US President will still visit the site of the twin towers? I think it was our generation's Pearl Harbour moment. RIP to all those who died on that terrible day.

Inside jobs are always the ones you remember the most because your tax money is funnelled into the media to blow it up as big as can be.
If speaking is an action and actions take time and energy, why do people talk so much about so little?

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:06 pm

Sailence wrote:
Vallermoore wrote:And yet I still remember the unique horror of it even now. The planes crashing into buildings like a superhero film where all the superheroes were on strike, the damage and the deaths. Do you think fifty or more years later the US President will still visit the site of the twin towers? I think it was our generation's Pearl Harbour moment. RIP to all those who died on that terrible day.

Inside jobs are always the ones you remember the most because your tax money is funnelled into the media to blow it up as big as can be.

Please give us this amazing theory. Explain how my mother never came home that day. Go on.
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:07 pm

Commonwealth of Hank the Cat wrote:Did they ever find out what UA 93 was aimed at? I read that Osama Bin Laden wanted to hit the Capitol Building, but the other leaders wanted to hit the White House.

Capitol. The target was the Capitol.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:19 pm

I was 10 years old when I came home to see my mother staring at the tv, they were replaying the 2nd plane over and over again.
I remember there was alot of fear in the days after.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:19 pm

Guelder wrote:I was 4 when it happened. But for me, that is what Islam does, using terrorism if they don't get what they want. Look at terrorist organizations like Al-Qaeda, ISIS and many others. And before anyone going calling me a Islamophobe: Islam has more terrorist organizations than Christianity: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_terrorism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism
Christianity has only KKK, Gunpowder Plot, Pogroms and llaga. And Islam has so many that are unable to count. But, the WTC towers where a symbol of New York as i understood

That is a good deal of misinformation; there are plenty of groups one could call terroist that claim to be Christian. I'm sure you're not remembering The Troubles, as they called it, over in Ireland, nor are you remembering the bombing of Planned Parenthood and other health clinics that were called 'abortion clinics'. I'm sure you've simply forgotten that the vast majority of terror attacks on US soil have been perpetrated by, generally, white extremists.

You have a 1 in 1.3 billion chance of being killed by a refugee in the US. Far more chance of dying at the hands of right-wing extremists than anyone else.

There have been Christian terror attacks worldwide, but it's easier for some news outlets simply to make it seem like nasty alien brown people are always at fault because if they told the truth, their viewer base would be upset.
Last edited by Katganistan on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:22 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Luziyca wrote:Yes, yes it does. I was only four at the time, so I had no real firsthand knowledge of the event.

That makes me feel old. I was working by the time 9/11 happened. Ugh...

But regardless, I remember vividly watching people falling from the burning towers as it was happening live on TV. I think part of me was lost on that day, and it took me a long time to find it again. I can't put a word to it, what part it was, but perhaps you know what I mean.

Innocence.
Security.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:24 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Sarzonia wrote:With tomorrow being the 16th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, and the Pentagon, and the crash landing in Pennsylvania, it certainly seems like a lifetime ago.

And yet, seeing posts on Facebook thanks to the On This Day feature brings back the immediacy of the attacks. My then-roommate had our cordless phone in the master bedroom we shared. It rang that morning. The call was for me. She woke me up to take the call. As soon as I was done with the call, I yelled at her to never wake me up for a phone call again "unless it's an emergency." Little did I know...

A few minutes later, still a bit peeved over being awakened to answer the phone, I went into the living room where I saw the smoke and the holes in the Twin Towers. I remember asking, "what just happened?" One roommate looked at the one I shared the room with and said, "should we tell him?" He then did. All of a sudden, I forgot about being upset over being awakened to take what turned out to be the first of many, many calls. My stepfather called several times. My grandmother called several times. During our first phone conversation, I asked her to compare the terrorist attacks to Pearl Harbor. Thankfully, my grandmother had yet to suffer the ravages of dementia, so she could provide context. She said the terrorist attacks were much worse than Pearl Harbor.

I had an appointment downtown later that day. I was too scared to go ride the subway system, fearing the prospect of another terrorist attack on the subway.

... We were attacked right at our soul that day.

Luminesa wrote:You lost your mother in the Towers? Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry. :hug: :(

Thanks... :hug:

She was on the 43rd floor of the South Tower, in a contractor firm. She died helping people down the stairs...

God rest her. She was a hero. Probably doesn't make the pain go away, but your mom was awesome.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:24 pm

Katganistan wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:That makes me feel old. I was working by the time 9/11 happened. Ugh...

But regardless, I remember vividly watching people falling from the burning towers as it was happening live on TV. I think part of me was lost on that day, and it took me a long time to find it again. I can't put a word to it, what part it was, but perhaps you know what I mean.

Innocence.
Security.

^
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:25 pm

Katganistan wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:That makes me feel old. I was working by the time 9/11 happened. Ugh...

Innocence.
Security.

Heartbreak.
Vulnerability.
Fear.

This is what America felt that Tuesday Morning.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:25 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:... We were attacked right at our soul that day.

Thanks... :hug:

She was on the 43rd floor of the South Tower, in a contractor firm. She died helping people down the stairs...

God rest her. She was a hero. Probably doesn't make the pain go away, but your mom was awesome.

Irony intensifies when you realize that I'm in fact a Muslim.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:25 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Vassenor wrote:Also on Christian Terrorism: Apparently the IRA stopped existing while I wasn't looking.

You're kidding, right? The IRA was non sectarian.

THANK YOU.
-Alan Jackson

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:26 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:That makes me feel even worse about my age! But on the flip side, you missed experiencing a lot of things first hand. And I don't just mean 9/11. For example the time before the internet (was there such a time, a lot of Millennials will ask), widespread cellphone use, or even widespread computer use. I have a typewriter in my office that I still use sometimes. I remember all these things, wise old sage that I am! :geek:

I'm not really that old, relatively speaking, but still old enough to be in the band of people that can vividly remember pre-internet/cellphone/computer times.

I remember the pre-internet era, well the tail end of it before widespread use. Dail-up was fun. They also missed the '93 bombing of the WTC and the '95 bombing in Oklahoma City; I was a little tyke for that one.

SCREEEEE-OOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNN-SCREEEEEEEEEE- bee-ti-bee-ti-bee-ti-bee.....

Yeah, no one who ever had to deal with the horrors of dialup will ever forget that sound.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:27 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:I remember the pre-internet era, well the tail end of it before widespread use. Dail-up was fun. They also missed the '93 bombing of the WTC and the '95 bombing in Oklahoma City; I was a little tyke for that one.

Yeah, no one who ever had to deal with the horrors of dialup will ever forget that sound.

The sound of Freeserve.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:28 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Luminesa wrote:God rest her. She was a hero. Probably doesn't make the pain go away, but your mom was awesome.

Irony intensifies when you realize that I'm in fact a Muslim.

Eh. Maybe to some people, but heroes are heroes.
-Alan Jackson

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:28 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:I remember the pre-internet era, well the tail end of it before widespread use. Dail-up was fun. They also missed the '93 bombing of the WTC and the '95 bombing in Oklahoma City; I was a little tyke for that one.

Whenever I heard that sound, I died a little on the inside.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:28 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:Irony intensifies when you realize that I'm in fact a Muslim.

Eh. Maybe to some people, but heroes are heroes.

viewtopic.php?p=32481442#p32481442

Most civilized post ever.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:29 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Bluelight-R006 wrote:I wasn't born when 9/11 happened.

it just keeps getting better.

Bluelight-R006 wrote:How many people died on 9/11 though... some people say 2000+ and some say 3000+.

2,978 victims is what Wikipedia says. 2,997 if you count the 19 murderous hijackers, which you shouldn't. I can remember at the time that some news stations, and even some experts, were giving far higher estimates. 10,000+ was a number that was getting thrown around, because of the fact that it involved planes full of people, crashing into densely packed buildings, in a city that has a very high population density. People were actually surprised that the death toll wasn't far higher, I can remember people thought a mistake must have been made with the count. Any number of deaths is still extremely tragic, but that overestimation of the death count is just what people thought was likely at the time.

It was the time of day. The towers and surrounding buildings weren't at full capacity yet because it was fairly early on a Tuesday morning -- 8:46 when the first plane hit. Midday, when all the employees and a full complement of tourists at the observation decks would have been there -- would have been far worse.

Not that it wasn't horrendous as it was.

Also the building collapsing straight down was a plus. I shudder to think of the devastation if they'd toppled instead.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:30 pm

Katganistan wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:it just keeps getting better.

2,978 victims is what Wikipedia says. 2,997 if you count the 19 murderous hijackers, which you shouldn't. I can remember at the time that some news stations, and even some experts, were giving far higher estimates. 10,000+ was a number that was getting thrown around, because of the fact that it involved planes full of people, crashing into densely packed buildings, in a city that has a very high population density. People were actually surprised that the death toll wasn't far higher, I can remember people thought a mistake must have been made with the count. Any number of deaths is still extremely tragic, but that overestimation of the death count is just what people thought was likely at the time.

It was the time of day. The towers and surrounding buildings weren't at full capacity yet because it was fairly early on a Tuesday morning -- 8:46 when the first plane hit. Midday, when all the employees and a full complement of tourists at the observation decks would have been there -- would have been far worse.

Also the building collapsing straight down was a plus. I shudder to think of the devastation if they'd toppled instead.

And instead we just have to deal with idiots who think that proves it was done with a controlled demolition because reasons.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:31 pm

Katganistan wrote:

The screams of the damned would not make me flinch so.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:32 pm

Katganistan wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:it just keeps getting better.

If the buildings had toppled over, 5000 dead, bare minimum. And if the Pentagon wasn't hit in the exact spit where it was, 500 casualties minimum there. And if UA93 had made it to the capitol, hundreds dead, and war would have been declared on Saudi Arabia.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:34 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

And instead we just have to deal with idiots who think that proves it was done with a controlled demolition because reasons.

Heh. I was one of those idiots. I still think we could have stopped the other 3 planes if the U.S Military hadn't mysteriously turned fucking useless for 2 consecutive hours. My mom would be alive today if the fighter jets scrambled and intercepted their targets immediately.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General