NATION

PASSWORD

9/11 seems so long ago...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kramania
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kramania » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:01 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Kramania wrote:"B-b-but it's out of context!"

This is literally the argument that people from any religion use.

Because it constantly is.

And this one?
(5) “When you meet the unbelievers, smite their necks.” 47:4
Watching my sanity slip away in my dreams

Bearstin
Envoy

Founded: Aug 29, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Bearstin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Third or fourth post i read criticizes trump, like you people can't give it a break. How about instead of bitching about your president, you maybe react to someones story and remember those lost on 9/11? That is what this thread is for is it not? You're being childish and insensitive.

I've grown up hearing the stories of "this is where I was on 9/11" and "I knew a first responder" or "I was working in the city at the time". Why not we focus on remembrance and not criticism. The only criticism that should be thrown around is to those responsible
A PROUD MEMBER OF THE FEDERATION OF ALLIES
This is Bearstin, remember to always tie your shoes backwards!

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent." -Qui-Gon Jinn

Varkina
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Varkina » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:07 pm

Bearstin wrote:Third or fourth post i read criticizes trump, like you people can't give it a break. How about instead of bitching about your president, you maybe react to someones story and remember those lost on 9/11? That is what this thread is for is it not? You're being childish and insensitive.

I've grown up hearing the stories of "this is where I was on 9/11" and "I knew a first responder" or "I was working in the city at the time". Why not we focus on remembrance and not criticism. The only criticism that should be thrown around is to those responsible

Amen

The Police/Doctors/Fire Fighter did all they could to save lives they will always be remembered in the American heart.
RIP Princess Kira the most ignored person in F7 lol

These are the two leaders I will be using to respond to AL Threads.

Sun Goddess Asha

And her exiled sister Kira please respond to both of them.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:08 pm

All those who lost loved ones in 9/11 have my deepest sympathies. I'm also sorry that certain people will use this tragedy to make cheap points for their ideology, or make up excuses to justify it for their ideology.

Kramania
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kramania » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:14 pm

Bearstin wrote:Third or fourth post i read criticizes trump, like you people can't give it a break. How about instead of bitching about your president, you maybe react to someones story and remember those lost on 9/11? That is what this thread is for is it not? You're being childish and insensitive.

Because this is NSG where you'd be hard-pressed to find threads that don't devolve into an anti-Trump circle-jerk.

Before Trump you would have been hard-pressed to find threads that weren't pro-Obama circle-jerks.
Watching my sanity slip away in my dreams

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:23 pm

Kramania wrote:

Because this is NSG where you'd be hard-pressed to find threads that don't devolve into an anti-Trump circle-jerk.

Before Trump you would have been hard-pressed to find threads that weren't pro-Obama circle-jerks.

We obviously remember things differently.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:28 pm

Xelsis wrote:
Dylar wrote:That's not what I was saying. From what I could disseminate from Netherland's posts, he was blaming the entire Islamic religion for the actions of radicals that make up a minority of Islam. I merely wanted to see what his response would be if I asked him about radical Christians like Westboro, or the KKK, and see if he was going to say that the entire Christian faith was evil because of the radicals' actions, or if he'd perform a 180 and say that these radicals are not "true Christians" and that they don't represent all of Christianity.

There is certainly a difference still in what the precepts of the faith are, and from where the radicals draw their inspiration. The Westboro Baptist Church uses Scripture to justify it's actions-an interpretation widely disagreed with, but held. Islamic radicals similarly draw inspiration from their Scripture-but, unlike the Westboro Baptist Church, there is a strong base of adherents of that faith that agree with the theological principles behind that action.

See: Muslim views on suicide bombing.

http://www.pewglobal.org/2014/07/01/con ... remism-10/

Pew Research poll-wholly independent, nonpartisan.

Palestine and Bangladesh both have nearly half their Muslim populations agreeing that suicide bombings against Christian targets are "Sometimes" or "Often" justified.

In Lebanon, Egypt, and Tanzania, it's around a quarter or more.

In Malasia, Nigeria, and Turkey, it's nearly twenty percent. Fifteen percent in Jordan and Senegal.

We're not talking about the seventy members of the Westboro Baptist Church-we're talking about nearly seventy million Muslims in Bangladesh alone who think that suicide bombings against civilian targets are sometimes or often justified.

For Christianity, it's a radical fringe that will go as far as to yell at military funerals. In Islam, it's tens of millions of Muslims willing to justify suicide bombings against innocents.

EDIT:

I can't find the original poll I was looking for, but, from Gallup, on 9/11 specifically, you have 7% of Muslims believing 9/11 to be fully justified, and 38.6% believing them to be at least partially justified.

http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/poli ... -us-really

EDIT II:
(The 7% being included in the total of 38.6%)

Hi. This is off-topic in a 9/11 remembrance thread. Seriously, it is. There's an Islam discussion thread out there somewhere, you could try this line of argument there. It's not appropriate here.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:30 pm

Kramania wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Because it constantly is.

And this one?
(5) “When you meet the unbelievers, smite their necks.” 47:4

Refer to last post on pg 20.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:42 pm

Colorado-Kansas wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:They claim to be Muslim, but their very actions contradict this.

Your earlier warning seems not to have made an impression on you. *** 1 day ban for trolling. ***
Last edited by Farnhamia on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

The United Holy German Reich
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The United Holy German Reich » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:57 pm

Kramania wrote:

True, although it's much more prevalent with Trump then it was with Obama.
Last edited by The United Holy German Reich on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A reigning party never censures itself, and the people have been tutored to vote under two senseless standards, gaudily painted over with the two words 'Federalist and Republican,' repeated, and repeated, without having any meaning, or conveying any information." - John Taylor

"What an impudent farce it is for the arrogant leader of a party to prate about equality, to call himself a democrat, the friend of that liberty which will never fall till ambitious men like himself make themselves, by arts always stale, yet always formidable, stronger than the laws." - Fisher Ames

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:42 pm

Viridus wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
1. Not relevant.

2. No it wasn't.

3. They weren't there.

4. Even if there were hypothetically there the neo nazis were plotting attacking protesters anyway.

They were clearly there as they were the ones who instigated the fighting, also, the protesters were White Supremacists.

They are the same damn thing. And can you stop attacking Americans!! We have freedom of religion in this nation, you are free to practice you religion freely without any government interference. I'm not going to take any of you calling for the death of Muslim Americans. That's not something I fought for, so stay on topic and drop the bullshit
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Martian Commonwealths
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Martian Commonwealths » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:59 pm

I was in first grade I believe, and I still remember that day. It was foggy that's morning nothing unusual happened on the way to school... but when we got there I remember my first class the teachers were talking about something boring "world trade center". I remember hearing an announcement "...we are going to try something new today called the moment of silence..." I swear it lasted 10 minutes I remember thinking "what happened?" But as a kid I pushed it to the back of my mind. It didn't matter. When I got home that day my dad was yelling on the phone at someoneone..... he had us sit down on my parent's bed and wait until he was off the phone. The tv we had in the former was on and paused with a picture of a plane against a blue sky. My sister and I didn't know why he had us there, but when he got off the phone and calmed down all he said was "I want to show you something" and he played the tv and it was the second plane I believe diving into the second tower. We didn't know what to make of it. But he was saying "something terrible happened today..." "is this real???" We asked him and he said yes, that people died. My sister and I start bawling, we couldn't believe that someone would just hijack a plane and kill people... that memory has stuck with me ever since and I hope as long as the United States stands we will always remember 9/11 and all the lives stolen because of radical Islamic terrorism... and I hope we can set aside our differences on a day like this and unite once more and remind ourselves why we are Americans.

Nova Siracusa
Civilian

Founded: Sep 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Siracusa » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:37 pm

Martian Commonwealths wrote:I was in first grade I believe, and I still remember that day. It was foggy that's morning nothing unusual happened on the way to school... but when we got there I remember my first class the teachers were talking about something boring "world trade center". I remember hearing an announcement "...we are going to try something new today called the moment of silence..." I swear it lasted 10 minutes I remember thinking "what happened?" But as a kid I pushed it to the back of my mind. It didn't matter. When I got home that day my dad was yelling on the phone at someoneone..... he had us sit down on my parent's bed and wait until he was off the phone. The tv we had in the former was on and paused with a picture of a plane against a blue sky. My sister and I didn't know why he had us there, but when he got off the phone and calmed down all he said was "I want to show you something" and he played the tv and it was the second plane I believe diving into the second tower. We didn't know what to make of it. But he was saying "something terrible happened today..." "is this real???" We asked him and he said yes, that people died. My sister and I start bawling, we couldn't believe that someone would just hijack a plane and kill people... that memory has stuck with me ever since and I hope as long as the United States stands we will always remember 9/11 and all the lives stolen because of radical Islamic terrorism... and I hope we can set aside our differences on a day like this and unite once more and remind ourselves why we are Americans.

Like Martian Commonwealths, I too was in first grade when the towers were hit. I vividly remember I had just gotten off the school bus and into my house and saw my mom watching the TV with tears running down her face. It really threw me off. That was the moment I too looked at the TV screen and saw the first tower burning and moments later the second was hit. That will forever be ingrained in my mind.

My professor, Mark Camillo (look him up, he was the Secret Service Agent in charge of the Salt Lake City Olympics in '02 as well as being a key player in the formation of the DHS) was hit hard from the loss of a handful of his close friends in that attack; all of whom were Secret Service, FBI, and NYPD. No one was safe. The reality is that now, worldwide, we are the generation to ensure this never happens again. We have been given a foundation but we have much building to do. That heinous attack was the game changer in the security, threat and, risk analysis world. Being a college senior finishing my degree in Security Management at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice and as a native New Yorker, I reflect on this many times throughout the year. So many lives, innocent lives, were lost for what? It brings tears to my eyes thinking about it. This is the driving force behind our entire academic department''s student body and their collegiate/career paths.

Civilization rises from any and all ashes. We will never forget those who perished in the attacks and those who continue to give their lives in the never ending global war on terrorism.

The of Japan
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2016

Postby The of Japan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:26 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Viridus wrote:That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, lol XD

EXACTLY.

So how come when the same thing is said about Islam, you don't bat an eye?

Timothy McVeigh was not motivated by Christianity, the hijackers, along with al queda were.
Texan Communist and Internationalist

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:11 am

For me, 9/11 was the first global event of the internet and mobile era..

..consider I was on a boat in a lake in Beijing at the time - my friend in HK messaged me that a light aircraft had accidentally hit WTC.. followed shortly by 'holy shit..' and then a flood of messages. Within about 10 minutes, including pedalling a duck shaped boat at Olympic speeds.. we were in a friends house close by watching it all unfold on CNN.

I have an email, which became quite famous, from a friend describing how he'd got out of the buildings and general thoughts on the whole day and those subsequent.

To think within minutes of it occurring, and nowhere near a TV, I was aware almost the instant it happened - and that I was in a country on the other side of the world.

That's different to, say, the death of Diana, where if I hadn't been at a TV at the time I might not have heard about it for hours.

Not just that but I also remember reading everything online in the days after, the rise at the time of Snopes.. where I joined the forum, which led me to NSG.. but enough of the world was online for 9/11 to make it perhaps the first major event of the internet age.

..and the rest, as they say, is history.
Last edited by Bombadil on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:26 am

The of Japan wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:EXACTLY.

So how come when the same thing is said about Islam, you don't bat an eye?

Timothy McVeigh was not motivated by Christianity, the hijackers, along with al queda were.

So clearly we need to hate and fear a billion people for something they had no part in. Something that shocked them just as much as it shocked us. Something they denounce just as hard as we do.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Kennlind
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kennlind » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:49 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Kennlind wrote:The muj were Islamists. I'm not Pro-China vro. And I'm talking about the 9/11 in Chile, when fascist dictator Pinochet took power.

Chile and Pinochet aren't relevant to this thread.

The thread topic is 9/11. Why do we need to fixate on America's 9/11 when there have been far worse? Darmstadt 1944?
don't use anymore // Eglaecia

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:16 am

Kennlind wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Chile and Pinochet aren't relevant to this thread.

The thread topic is 9/11. Why do we need to fixate on America's 9/11 when there have been far worse? Darmstadt 1944?

Because they're not the topic of the thread.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Cylonarus
Spokesperson

Founded: May 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cylonarus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:43 am

Katganistan wrote:Living here through it certainly has made a lasting impact on me.

I shudder to think what ultra-nationalistic drum-beating and self-aggrandizement will be made out of this tragedy two days from now.

And you just fucking had to bring politics into it. :roll:
A fascist confederacy located in the Balkans.

P.S. Sorry for bastardizing/butchering Balkanic languages

Pro: Fascism, ultra-nationalism, militarism, Golden Dawn, far-right, alt-right, Pinochet, Mussolini
Anti: Basically everything on the left side of the political spectrum.

"It is foolish to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." - George S. Patton
"Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy. You in America will see that some day." - Benito Mussolini
"I'm not a dictator. It's just that I have a grumpy face." - Augusto Pinochet

Completely accurate countryball of Cylonarus made by Belkan America
RIP SYRIZA
Ben Shapiro roasting liberals
How a country should be

Cylonarus
Spokesperson

Founded: May 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cylonarus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:55 am

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Colorado-Kansas wrote:It's not bait you know. It's the truth.

Oh really? How about this picture?

This is the Government Building in Oklahoma City before it was hit by a bombing that killed 168 people, including 19 children. The perpetrator was a white supremacist and a Christian. Therefore...

Imagine a world without Christianity

Of course, that's bullshit. So how come Islam is a scapegoat for our problems? It was Black People, then Mexicans, then Communists, and now Muslims.

Bible describes violence. Quran prescribes violence.
A fascist confederacy located in the Balkans.

P.S. Sorry for bastardizing/butchering Balkanic languages

Pro: Fascism, ultra-nationalism, militarism, Golden Dawn, far-right, alt-right, Pinochet, Mussolini
Anti: Basically everything on the left side of the political spectrum.

"It is foolish to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." - George S. Patton
"Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy. You in America will see that some day." - Benito Mussolini
"I'm not a dictator. It's just that I have a grumpy face." - Augusto Pinochet

Completely accurate countryball of Cylonarus made by Belkan America
RIP SYRIZA
Ben Shapiro roasting liberals
How a country should be

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:56 am

Cylonarus wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:Oh really? How about this picture?

This is the Government Building in Oklahoma City before it was hit by a bombing that killed 168 people, including 19 children. The perpetrator was a white supremacist and a Christian. Therefore...

Imagine a world without Christianity

Of course, that's bullshit. So how come Islam is a scapegoat for our problems? It was Black People, then Mexicans, then Communists, and now Muslims.

So all that stuff in Leviticus about putting people to death doesn't count. Also I guess that makes most of the Islamic world not true Muslims.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:01 am

Vassenor wrote:
Cylonarus wrote:

So all that stuff in Leviticus about putting people to death doesn't count. Also I guess that makes most of the Islamic world not true Muslims.

The Old Testament doesn't count but we put it in the bible anyway

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008

Postby Mushet » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:16 am

Kramania wrote:

What NSG are you talking about? :lol2:
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:27 am

Vassenor wrote:
Cylonarus wrote:

The putting people to death was only in very specific circumstances, out of a want to preserve the ritual purity of the people, and it is not done now.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Alvecia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:35 am

Luminesa wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

The putting people to death was only in very specific circumstances, out of a want to preserve the ritual purity of the people, and it is not done now.

They weren't overly specific.

Blasphemy, swearing at your mum and dad, adultery (both of them), having sex with your step-mum or daughter in law, homosexuality, bestiality, bigamy, being magic (i.e. mediums or witches).

And that's just Leviticus 20

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General