NATION

PASSWORD

9/11 seems so long ago...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:36 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Guelder wrote:I was 4 when it happened. But for me, that is what Islam does, using terrorism if they don't get what they want. Look at terrorist organizations like Al-Qaeda, ISIS and many others. And before anyone going calling me a Islamophobe: Islam has more terrorist organizations than Christianity: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_terrorism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism
Christianity has only KKK, Gunpowder Plot, Pogroms and llaga. And Islam has so many that are unable to count. But, the WTC towers where a symbol of New York as i understood

I was 2. I saw my mother for the last time that day. She died on the 43rd floor of the South Tower. Coming from a Muslim, I feel like Stockholm Syndrome permeates everything about my life currently.

I'm so sorry.

This is a tragedy many ignore -- that few recognize that innocent Muslims also died, that Muslim survivors also suffer PTSD from what they've seen/experienced, and that Muslims as a group are blamed for the actions of a few.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:38 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
And instead we just have to deal with idiots who think that proves it was done with a controlled demolition because reasons.

Heh. I was one of those idiots. I still think we could have stopped the other 3 planes if the U.S Military hadn't mysteriously turned fucking useless for 2 consecutive hours. My mom would be alive today if the fighter jets scrambled and intercepted their targets immediately.

If the flight crew has been taken out before they can signal 7500, then ATC has no way of knowing the plane has been hijacked.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:40 pm

Sarzonia wrote:With tomorrow being the 16th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, and the Pentagon, and the crash landing in Pennsylvania, it certainly seems like a lifetime ago.

And yet, seeing posts on Facebook thanks to the On This Day feature brings back the immediacy of the attacks. My then-roommate had our cordless phone in the master bedroom we shared. It rang that morning. The call was for me. She woke me up to take the call. As soon as I was done with the call, I yelled at her to never wake me up for a phone call again "unless it's an emergency." Little did I know...

A few minutes later, still a bit peeved over being awakened to answer the phone, I went into the living room where I saw the smoke and the holes in the Twin Towers. I remember asking, "what just happened?" One roommate looked at the one I shared the room with and said, "should we tell him?" He then did. All of a sudden, I forgot about being upset over being awakened to take what turned out to be the first of many, many calls. My stepfather called several times. My grandmother called several times. During our first phone conversation, I asked her to compare the terrorist attacks to Pearl Harbor. Thankfully, my grandmother had yet to suffer the ravages of dementia, so she could provide context. She said the terrorist attacks were much worse than Pearl Harbor.

I had an appointment downtown later that day. I was too scared to go ride the subway system, fearing the prospect of another terrorist attack on the subway.

It was shut down for a while anyway -- especially the tracks going under the WTC. I had friends who had to walk from Midtown over the Brooklyn Bridge -- then across Brooklyn to get home. It was chaos.

Dushan
Minister

Founded: Feb 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dushan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:40 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:If the buildings had toppled over, 5000 dead, bare minimum. And if the Pentagon wasn't hit in the exact spit where it was, 500 casualties minimum there. And if UA93 had made it to the capitol, hundreds dead, and war would have been declared on Saudi Arabia.

Congress has released 28 formerly redacted pages implicating Saudi-Arabian ties to some of the preparators:

Zerohedge

Guardian
Last edited by Dushan on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martial Nation on a far distant world with SciFi and Fantasy elements.

Factbook
This Nation does not use NS stats. When RPing with nation of different TL, we adapt to it.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:41 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:I was 2. I saw my mother for the last time that day. She died on the 43rd floor of the South Tower. Coming from a Muslim, I feel like Stockholm Syndrome permeates everything about my life currently.

I'm so sorry.

This is a tragedy many ignore -- that few recognize that innocent Muslims also died, that Muslim survivors also suffer PTSD from what they've seen/experienced, and that Muslims as a group are blamed for the actions of a few.

Some of Guelder's posts evoke a sheet of pure, white anger from me. Sometimes I fucking hate him, for his posts that seek to degrade Muslims across the board because he feels like he has to be that nationalist guy with no regard for other minorities. I say this to Guelder: I am an American-born patriot. I am pure, and straight American. I'm not gonna walk into the nearest church and spray it full of high-caliber rifle ammunition.
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:43 pm

New Greater Netherlands wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Also, Islam doesn't have terrorists. No non-sentient anything has anything.

Islam does have terrorists

Islam has terrorists the same way Christianity has terrorists, and Judaism has terrorists.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:43 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:Salafism can be considered as a sect of Islam. Salafism currently is supported by Saudi Arabia. Islam isn't the cancer of the world, Saudi Arabia is in my view. It ruined a good religion.

Islam IS the cancer of the world

No, ignorance is the cancer of the world.

Yeffin
Attaché

Founded: Apr 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Yeffin » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:44 pm

I beg to differ. I was young at the time, but I remember the September 11th attacks like it was yesterday. 2,998 people killed isn't really something you can forget it seems.

And, can we please stop making jokes about 9/11?
Working on a desc

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:44 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Islam does have terrorists

Islam has terrorists the same way Christianity has terrorists, and Judaism has terrorists.

I feel like he needs to be warned for his second post. Also, I have a suspicion that this Netherlands Nation is the same guy as Guelder.
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:45 pm

Yeffin wrote:I beg to differ. I was young at the time, but I remember the September 11th attacks like it was yesterday. 2,998 people killed isn't really something you can forget it seems.

What fucking jokes?
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:46 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Computer Lab wrote:I was only 4 at the time, so I don't remember it well, and I am sorta convinced what vague memories I do have were constructed after the fact. My oldest brother remembers being in class and watching it happen on tv.

I just found out a few years ago that my aunt and uncle were in New York at the time. IIRC they were on their honeymoon and the hotel they were staying at was right across from the towers. They weren't at the hotel when it happened, and they spent the rest of the day trying to leave the city. They left their suitcases and even traded one of my aunt's dresses for access to a phone to let the family know they were okay.

I know there are more details I am forgetting, but I only heard the story once, and I haven't told it very often, so it is hard to remember.

Who takes their honeymoon in NYC?

A lot of people. You've got Broadway, museums, sports, concerts.... and some of the Ritziest (Or Waldorfiest?) luxury hotels in the nation.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:51 pm

Katganistan wrote:

No, ignorance is the cancer of the world.

Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:51 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

It was the time of day. The towers and surrounding buildings weren't at full capacity yet because it was fairly early on a Tuesday morning -- 8:46 when the first plane hit. Midday, when all the employees and a full complement of tourists at the observation decks would have been there -- would have been far worse.

Not that it wasn't horrendous as it was.

Also the building collapsing straight down was a plus. I shudder to think of the devastation if they'd toppled instead.

If the buildings had toppled over, 5000 dead, bare minimum. And if the Pentagon wasn't hit in the exact spit where it was, 500 casualties minimum there. And if UA93 had made it to the capitol, hundreds dead, and war would have been declared on Saudi Arabia.

The thing that made the death toll at the Pentagon as low as it was was that the offices on that side of the building were being renovated at the time. Had they been occupied it would have been much worse.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:52 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:Salafism can be considered as a sect of Islam. Salafism currently is supported by Saudi Arabia. Islam isn't the cancer of the world, Saudi Arabia is in my view. It ruined a good religion.

*** Warned for trolling ***
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:54 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Islam has terrorists the same way Christianity has terrorists, and Judaism has terrorists.

I feel like he needs to be warned for his second post. Also, I have a suspicion that this Netherlands Nation is the same guy as Fielder.

Sent up a flare. I can't warn them since my presence in the thread as a participant could be viewed as biased.

You can also report it in Moderation. Right click the little page icon next to their name, and cut and paste it into your post or report.

Yeffin
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Yeffin » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:56 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Yeffin wrote:I beg to differ. I was young at the time, but I remember the September 11th attacks like it was yesterday. 2,998 people killed isn't really something you can forget it seems.

What fucking jokes?

The whole "Bush did 9/11" and the shitload of stupid memes of various things flying into the towers. I lost brothers and sisters there. We all did in a way.

In my humble opinion, nothing good has come out of modern-day Islam.
Last edited by Yeffin on Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Working on a desc

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:57 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:If the buildings had toppled over, 5000 dead, bare minimum. And if the Pentagon wasn't hit in the exact spit where it was, 500 casualties minimum there. And if UA93 had made it to the capitol, hundreds dead, and war would have been declared on Saudi Arabia.

The thing that made the death toll at the Pentagon as low as it was was that the offices on that side of the building were being renovated at the time. Had they been occupied it would have been much worse.

The fact that something so small saved so many lives is almost absurd.
Like...the Archduke's car stopping in front of the restaurant his would-be assassin is eating a sandwich at absurd.
Last edited by Genivaria on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:59 pm

Yeffin wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:What fucking jokes?

The whole "Bush did 9/11" and the shitload of stupid memes of various things flying into the towers. I lost brothers and sisters there. We all did in a way.

That's not a joke so much as an intellectually vapid meme repeated by people who haven't a clue.
These same people btw actually had the gall to harass family members of the victims, accusing them of being 'in on it'.

Yeffin
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Yeffin » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:03 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Yeffin wrote:The whole "Bush did 9/11" and the shitload of stupid memes of various things flying into the towers. I lost brothers and sisters there. We all did in a way.

That's not a joke so much as an intellectually vapid meme repeated by people who haven't a clue.
These same people btw actually had the gall to harass family members of the victims, accusing them of being 'in on it'.

Never thought I'd be bitching about memes. Just...have some decency and respect people.
Working on a desc

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:05 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Katganistan wrote:The thing that made the death toll at the Pentagon as low as it was was that the offices on that side of the building were being renovated at the time. Had they been occupied it would have been much worse.

The fact that something so small saved so many lives is almost absurd.
Like...the Archduke's car stopping in front of the restaurant his would-be assassin is eating a sandwich at absurd.

And yet it happened repeatedly.

My cousin lived because she decided to stop and change her necklace and earrings, and missed her normal ferry into the city.

Another cousin was sent to a meeting uptown.

A third had been laid off from Deutche-Bank the previous week, and had thought it was the worst day of his life. It saved him.

My uncle had to take early retirement because of a health condition. Again, it got him out of the line of fire.

Ask anyone and for all the people we lost, there were others who were delayed by the most ridiculous things, or missed their flight, or their bus, and should have been there but thankfully were not.

The Grande Republic 0f Arcadia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grande Republic 0f Arcadia » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:23 pm

Varkina wrote:The worst part during this age of time the internet started making jokes about 9/11 but you can't really stop that can you? People who make jokes about people dying shouldn't be doing that. What if they lost a loved one in the Towers? Would they still make jokes about it now?

Rest in Peace to all victims of 9/11.

and alot in our generation have a sick humor, hence on of my friend jokes about his mothers suicide alot
Proud Member of theINTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=422664

Been on NS since 2014
Right Leaning Centrist Kinda Libertarian Kinda Republican Take Your Pick

Summertimequestionswine
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Summertimequestionswine » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:27 pm

I think people exaggerate tragedies to garner attention for themselves, or something...

Anyway, shouldn't we be celebrating it's been sixteen years and we haven't had a 9/11 level islamic terrorist attack since?

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:29 pm

Summertimequestionswine wrote:I think people exaggerate tragedies to garner attention for themselves, or something...

Anyway, shouldn't we be celebrating it's been sixteen years and we haven't had a 9/11 level islamic terrorist attack since?

CELEBRATING!?

Are you mad? 9/11 shouldn't be fucking CELEBRATED.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:30 pm

The Grande Republic 0f Arcadia wrote:
Varkina wrote:The worst part during this age of time the internet started making jokes about 9/11 but you can't really stop that can you? People who make jokes about people dying shouldn't be doing that. What if they lost a loved one in the Towers? Would they still make jokes about it now?

Rest in Peace to all victims of 9/11.

and alot in our generation have a sick humor, hence on of my friend jokes about his mothers suicide alot

Be that as it may, "it's just a joke" is not going to cut it in this thread.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:30 pm

Summertimequestionswine wrote:I think people exaggerate tragedies to garner attention for themselves, or something...

No, because that would detract from the climate of fear politicians have spent the last decade cultivating. If they keep us thinking a repeat could be just around the corner they can push whatever authoritarian crap they like and we'll swallow it without question.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General