NATION

PASSWORD

9/11 seems so long ago...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:23 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Imperial Esplanade wrote:9/11 will, in fact, be our era's equivalent to a "Pearl Harbor" moment. All one needs to do is to look at the effect it had in our involvement in the middle east, which doesn't seem to have an end in sight still to this very day. Heck, we're still fighting a war in the very same countries that al Qaeda stemmed from (Afghanistan and Pakistan) to this very day, spanning three presidencies, and the United States is contemplating a troop SURGE on par to that of Iraq.

God I hope we get that troop surge. We badly need more troops

"We"?

Are you currently serving in Iraq or Afghanistan?
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:31 am

AiliailiA wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:God I hope we get that troop surge. We badly need more troops

"We"?

Are you currently serving in Iraq or Afghanistan?

We as in we Americans. And no I'm not currently in Iraq or Afghanistan.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:32 am

I was just 1 year old, so I clearly can't remember it. I did watch a documentary last night about the 2 brave men who went up to 88th and 89th floors of the North Tower trying to save as many people possible, and like every 9/11 documentary, they showed clips taken from people's cameras from the plane collisions, and even watching it on video from 16 years ago sends shivers down my spine.
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:49 am

Dylar wrote:I was just 1 year old.

That makes me feel even worse about my age! But on the flip side, you missed experiencing a lot of things first hand. And I don't just mean 9/11. For example the time before the internet (was there such a time, a lot of Millennials will ask), widespread cellphone use, or even widespread computer use. I have a typewriter in my office that I still use sometimes. I remember all these things, wise old sage that I am! :geek:

I'm not really that old, relatively speaking, but still old enough to be in the band of people that can vividly remember pre-internet/cellphone/computer times.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Founded: Mar 31, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:53 am

I wasn't born when 9/11 happened. But I still feel a feeling of pain and sorrow for the families of those who died and those who died themselves.

How many people died on 9/11 though... some people say 2000+ and some say 3000+.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:57 am

The New California Republic wrote:

That makes me feel even worse about my age! But on the flip side, you missed experiencing a lot of things first hand. And I don't just mean 9/11. For example the time before the internet (was there such a time, a lot of Millennials will ask), widespread cellphone use, or even widespread computer use. I have a typewriter in my office that I still use sometimes. I remember all these things, wise old sage that I am! :geek:

I'm not really that old, relatively speaking, but still old enough to be in the band of people that can vividly remember pre-internet/cellphone/computer times.

I remember the pre-internet era, well the tail end of it before widespread use. Dail-up was fun. They also missed the '93 bombing of the WTC and the '95 bombing in Oklahoma City; I was a little tyke for that one.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:57 am

Bluelight-R006 wrote:I wasn't born when 9/11 happened. But I still feel a feeling of pain and sorrow for the families of those who died and those who died themselves.

How many people died on 9/11 though... some people say 2000+ and some say 3000+.

Almost 3,000. Nobody says that 2,000 people died it was a lot more
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:03 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Bluelight-R006 wrote:I wasn't born when 9/11 happened. But I still feel a feeling of pain and sorrow for the families of those who died and those who died themselves.

Almost 3,000. Nobody says that 2,000 people died it was a lot more

Some say 2996.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:03 am

Bluelight-R006 wrote:I wasn't born when 9/11 happened.

it just keeps getting better.

Bluelight-R006 wrote:How many people died on 9/11 though... some people say 2000+ and some say 3000+.

2,978 victims is what Wikipedia says. 2,997 if you count the 19 murderous hijackers, which you shouldn't. I can remember at the time that some news stations, and even some experts, were giving far higher estimates. 10,000+ was a number that was getting thrown around, because of the fact that it involved planes full of people, crashing into densely packed buildings, in a city that has a very high population density. People were actually surprised that the death toll wasn't far higher, I can remember people thought a mistake must have been made with the count. Any number of deaths is still extremely tragic, but that overestimation of the death count is just what people thought was likely at the time.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:04 am

Bluelight-R006 wrote:How many people died on 9/11 though... some people say 2000+ and some say 3000+.

2,978 victims is what Wikipedia says. 2,997 if you count the 19 murderous hijackers, which you shouldn't. I can remember at the time that some news stations, and even some experts, were giving far higher estimates. 10,000+ was a number that was getting thrown around, because of the fact that it involved planes full of people, crashing into densely packed buildings, in a city that has a very high population density. People were actually surprised that the death toll wasn't far higher, I can remember people thought a mistake must have been made with the count. Any number of deaths is still extremely tragic, but that overestimation of the death count is just what people thought was likely at the time.

Ahhh I understand.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:06 am

Want an even better scare? NS is older than some of its players
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:08 am

Thermodolia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:it just keeps getting better.

Want an even better scare? NS is older than some of its players

*Shudders at the thought*

Wave on, wave on

Bluelight-R006
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bluelight-R006 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:34 am

Thermodolia wrote:Want an even better scare? NS is older than some of its players

*Shudders at the thought*

Wow never thought of that

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:40 am

I remember spending all day waiting for the other shoe to drop. What was next? I thought the plane attacks would be a prelude to something larger. While horrifying, dropping a couple of expensive buildings in Manhattan and killing a few thousand people wouldn't really put much of a dent in America's ability to do, well, anything.

What I didn't really grasp on that day, but learned later, was that the second punch of the one-two punch was ours to throw. The attack was intended to provoke us into harming ourselves, and President Bush II eagerly obliged, embracing even the most wasteful and ineffectual security measure and not only engaging in the expected response of invading Afghanistan, but using it to build a rationale for invading Iraq.
Vallermoore wrote:And yet I still remember the unique horror of it even now. The planes crashing into buildings like a superhero film where all the superheroes were on strike, the damage and the deaths. Do you think fifty or more years later the US President will still visit the site of the twin towers? I think it was our generation's Pearl Harbour moment. RIP to all those who died on that terrible day.

To put it into context, most high school students hadn't been born when it happened ... and most college freshmen of this year were too young to remember it at all, with most undergraduate college students having been too young to understand what was going on.

They are dealing with the consequences, though. It's been almost sixteen years since the invasion of Afghanistan, and the US is still knee-deep in trying to fix Afghanistan. It's been almost fourteen and a half years since the invasion of Iraq, and the US is still knee-deep in trying to build a stable nation-state, or collection of nation-states, in that area.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Socio Polor » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:53 am

You'll really feel old when I tell you I had just turned 4 months old when 9/11 occured, now I'm 16 years old about to get a permit soon :p

Kadur
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 04, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kadur » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:58 am

One of the most terrible events in America, which has completely changed the course of history.

It'd be nice if something like that did not happen again...
A small island nation modeled on Britain, Hawaii, and California which prefers neutrality.
Puppet of Stellar Colonies.
Current Status: Peacetime

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:11 am

I hadn't even turned 1 yet when it happened (born in 2000) but I still feel nerves go around me when I read personal accounts of 9/11. Personal accounts of anything like this are the worst, because you get to hear the real danger and magnitude of what happened. I had to do a school assignment on how my parents felt when seeing the towers falling and I remember what on of them said: I think it was sadness, then anger (or the other way around), then strength because of the bouncing back of resilience after the attacks. The only thing I wish never happened was the invasion and destabalization of 2 countries or more because 19 psychopaths destryed 2 buildings is not an act of revenge, or even righteousness. That's just cold-heartedness on both sides. Fortunately, I haven't been bullied, harassed, etc. for my religion on or around 9/11 AlHamdulillah.
Katganistan wrote:Nor will I forget that for three weeks, some of my students stayed home in fear -- they'd been beaten on the way home that day just for 'looking Muslim'. Some were Sikhs. Some were just 'Arab looking'. None had a damned thing to do with what was happening across the river.

The end of the school year ended with me in tears because one of the students, a beautiful young lady who was always very stunningly attired with the most beautifully patterned and folded hijabs, gave me a lovely scarf. Why? Because according to her I was the only teacher she came in contact with who didn't treat Muslim students any differently from other students that year.

All I could think of was how horrible it had to be for those kids being blamed for something they had no part in.

I've read the attacks on Muslims, Arabs, Arab-looking people and Muslim-looking people before and it's just as heart-breaking as what happened on 9/11. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamophobic_incidents
Stuff like the bold and underlined is especially reviting. No one should have to go through.
Last edited by El-Amin Caliphate on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:13 am

Guelder wrote:I was 4 when it happened. But for me, that is what Islam does, using terrorism if they don't get what they want. Look at terrorist organizations like Al-Qaeda, ISIS and many others. And before anyone going calling me a Islamophobe: Islam has more terrorist organizations than Christianity: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_terrorism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism
Christianity has only KKK, Gunpowder Plot, Pogroms and llaga. And Islam has so many that are unable to count. But, the WTC towers where a symbol of New York as i understood

Then the terrorists have already won.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:15 am

MERIZoC wrote:9/11 this year is gonna be fucking hilarious

I see what you tried to do there, but it's highly distasteful.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:15 am

Vassenor wrote:
Guelder wrote:I was 4 when it happened. But for me, that is what Islam does, using terrorism if they don't get what they want. Look at terrorist organizations like Al-Qaeda, ISIS and many others. And before anyone going calling me a Islamophobe: Islam has more terrorist organizations than Christianity: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_terrorism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism
Christianity has only KKK, Gunpowder Plot, Pogroms and llaga. And Islam has so many that are unable to count. But, the WTC towers where a symbol of New York as i understood

Also, Islam doesn't have terrorists. No non-sentient anything has anything.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:16 am

I was 2. I saw my mother for the last time that day. She died on the 43rd floor of the South Tower. Coming from a Muslim, I feel like Stockholm Syndrome permeates everything about my life currently.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:16 am

Also on Christian Terrorism: Apparently the IRA stopped existing while I wasn't looking.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:17 am

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Salafism can be considered as a sect of Islam. Salafism currently is supported by Saudi Arabia. Islam isn't the cancer of the world, Saudi Arabia is in my view. It ruined a good religion.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:18 am

Vassenor wrote:Also on Christian Terrorism: Apparently the IRA stopped existing while I wasn't looking.

Duh.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:18 am

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

...What?...Every religious organization has its terrorists. That's a rather silly suggestion, to say religious terrorists don't exist.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General