NATION

PASSWORD

The Christian Discussion thread IX: Pelagius Rising.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
34%
Eastern Orthodox
8%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East, etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
7%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
12%
Methodist
4%
Baptist
11%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, Charismatic, etc.)
7%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
2%
Other Christian
14%

Total votes : 795

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:18 am

Aulus Maximus wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:He did say however not to defend yourself. Which didn't even do in front of Pilate

What about Luke 22:36 then?

None of the ancient commentary on Scripture reads that as about self defense.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:19 am

Mujahidah wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:
We're not presuming a situation where someone is threatening both you and others, we are presuming it's just you

How would defending yourself from aggression be sinful? Literally the worst I could see it being, in the Christian paradigm, is morally neutral....

Because Christ said if someone strikes you, let them. If they rob you, give them everything
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Aulus Maximus
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aulus Maximus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:20 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Aulus Maximus wrote:What about Luke 22:36 then?

None of the ancient commentary on Scripture reads that as about self defense.

Good point, I researched some further and came into this

The directive to buy a sword deserves a measure of separate consideration. Lined up as it is with purse, bag, and sandals, we can eliminate at once any idea that zealot sympathies are coming to expression with the commendation of the sword. The sword is thought of as part of the equipment required for the self-sufficiency of any traveller in the Roman world. Nothing more than protection of one's person is in view (John Nolland, Word Biblical Commentary, vol. 35C: Luke 18:35-24:53 (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1993), p. 1076).
Caliph Ron al-Pauliyya for American Sultanate 2020
Body is purified by water. Ego by tears. Intellect is purified by knowledge. And soul is purified with love. ~hz. Ali ibn Abi Talib (ra)
Offen love between two people intensifies not because of beauty or some advantage, but because of sheer spiritual affinity. ~hz. Al Ghazali

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:24 am

Aulus Maximus wrote:
Dylar wrote:Aight, fair enough. Though, I'd support another Crusade. Only, the intention should be to fight off terrorism in the Middle East, rather than taking back Jerusalem...

Why call it a Crusade?

Because rule of cool, man.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:29 am

Aulus Maximus wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:None of the ancient commentary on Scripture reads that as about self defense.

Good point, I researched some further and came into this

The directive to buy a sword deserves a measure of separate consideration. Lined up as it is with purse, bag, and sandals, we can eliminate at once any idea that zealot sympathies are coming to expression with the commendation of the sword. The sword is thought of as part of the equipment required for the self-sufficiency of any traveller in the Roman world. Nothing more than protection of one's person is in view (John Nolland, Word Biblical Commentary, vol. 35C: Luke 18:35-24:53 (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1993), p. 1076).

Not ancient commentary
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:31 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Aulus Maximus wrote:Good point, I researched some further and came into this

Not ancient commentary

Does it matter if it is?
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Aulus Maximus
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Aulus Maximus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:35 am

Dylar wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Not ancient commentary

Does it matter if it is?

For Orthodox people yes.
Body is purified by water. Ego by tears. Intellect is purified by knowledge. And soul is purified with love. ~hz. Ali ibn Abi Talib (ra)
Offen love between two people intensifies not because of beauty or some advantage, but because of sheer spiritual affinity. ~hz. Al Ghazali

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:37 am

Dylar wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Not ancient commentary

Does it matter if it is?

I generally don't put much stock in commentary if it's not written by a saint, except for purposes that don't actually have theological or moral implications. If there are such implications, I stick to saints.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Aulus Maximus
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Aulus Maximus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:38 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Dylar wrote:Does it matter if it is?

I generally don't put much stock in commentary if it's not written by a saint, except for purposes that don't actually have theological or moral implications. If there are such implications, I stick to saints.

Implications can mix up and be open to interprentation to the believer, or reader.

The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:44 am

I think it depends on the Christian"s vocation. As a...
  • civilian: "diplomacy! diplomaaaacy!"
  • government: "talk terms or sanctionz!"
  • soldier: "nuke 'em."
How do I justify this position? The centurion in Acts 10:4 had his prayers answered without having to quit his job beforehand, so soldiering is a licit vocation. Also, it used to be that service was rendered in season for public works projects so "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's" can be interpreted to include manual service.
Where are the sins of the world? ? CDT credentials: Confirmed Anglican
Eastern Orthodox almost-Catechumen (OCA) Roman Catholic drop-out (RCIA)
Eight Popes Have Condemned Freemasonry Since 1738Evolution Debunked
L.A.W.S. Of TempledomLatin Vulgate/Douay Rheims/KJVEngland Has Fallen
NationStates: a gargantuan (1k questions and counting) opinion poll to get big data on young people; JCPOA The Good Fight (X2) (It's biblical) NWO! MARK EXPOSED

Aulus Maximus
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Aulus Maximus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:46 am

I think the best to do for both GTRT and Parkus is to just ask their priest tbh.

Painisia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Painisia » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:47 am

What do you all think is the reason that Christianity currently is declining in Europe? There are more atheists than ever in Europe
-Christian Democrat
-Syncretic
-Distributist
-Personalist
-Ecologism
-Popolarismo
-Corporatist
Formerly, the nation of Painisia November 2017 - August 2019

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:49 am

Aulus Maximus wrote:I think the best to do for both GTRT and Parkus is to just ask their priest tbh.

I have a notion priestly answers cannot turn swords into plowshares...
NationStates: a gargantuan (1k questions and counting) opinion poll to get big data on young people; JCPOA The Good Fight (X2) (It's biblical) NWO! MARK EXPOSED

Aulus Maximus
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Aulus Maximus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:49 am

Painisia wrote:What do you all think is the reason that Christianity currently is declining in Europe? There are more atheists than ever in Europe

Non-religious upbringing, as far as I know church attendency is dwindling (this goes for Muslims in Europe as well) which means faith is becoming less and less of a daily matter for said people, leading to secularism.

Also, I personally think no education in religion on school contributes to said numbers.
Last edited by Aulus Maximus on Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aulus Maximus
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Aulus Maximus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:50 am

The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:
Aulus Maximus wrote:I think the best to do for both GTRT and Parkus is to just ask their priest tbh.

I have a notion priestly answers cannot turn swords into plowshares...

No but they can give an interpretation, and answer, about the question about self defense.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:51 am

https://waynenorthey.com/living-in-comm ... mas-hopko/
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:53 am

The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:I think it depends on the Christian"s vocation. As a...
  • civilian: "diplomacy! diplomaaaacy!"
  • government: "talk terms or sanctionz!"
  • soldier: "nuke 'em."
How do I justify this position? The centurion in Acts 10:4 had his prayers answered without having to quit his job beforehand, so soldiering is a licit vocation. Also, it used to be that service was rendered in season for public works projects so "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's" can be interpreted to include manual service.

The state is given a divine mission to judge and has the authority to even kill as punishment, so that's a bit different
Last edited by The Parkus Empire on Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:54 am

Aulus Maximus wrote:
Painisia wrote:What do you all think is the reason that Christianity currently is declining in Europe? There are more atheists than ever in Europe

Non-religious upbringing, as far as I know church attendency is dwindling (this goes for Muslims in Europe as well) which means faith is becoming less and less of a daily matter for said people, leading to secularism.

Also, I personally think no education in religion on school contributes to said numbers.

I also think that state churches and government are the problem. If you have everyone brought up in a national church from the moment they are born, it could make the faith less genuine and personal for those people than for those who willingly choose to follow God. Also, there is a correlation with well-being and faithlessness. Those who live in poverty tend to be more religious, while those who are more well-off tend to feel that they don't need God, and when the government provides all the social programs and welfare, why turn to God when you have the government you can depend on, in a way, the government becomes God.
1 John 1:9

Industrial West Virginia
Envoy

Founded: Jan 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial West Virginia » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:56 am

There are also more Christians than ever. Numbers like that make no sense, unless you strictly talk percentages instead of numbers. You can use numbers as long as you cite the difference between it and, say, 500 years ago. Other than that, I can also say there are more Hindus, Christians, Muslims, and the like more than ever.
The absolute madman.

Aulus Maximus
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Aulus Maximus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:57 am

Nordengrund wrote:
Aulus Maximus wrote:Non-religious upbringing, as far as I know church attendency is dwindling (this goes for Muslims in Europe as well) which means faith is becoming less and less of a daily matter for said people, leading to secularism.

I also think that state churches and government are the problem. If you have everyone brought up in a national church from the moment they are born, it could make the faith less genuine and personal for those people than for those who willingly choose to follow God. Also, there is a correlation with well-being and faithlessness. Those who live in poverty tend to be more religious, while those who are more well-off tend to feel that they don't need God, and when the government provides all the social programs and welfare, why turn to God when you have the government you can depend on, in a way, the government becomes God.

well, the only thing we can prove in the Netherlands is that, apart of certain isolated counties in the Netherlands, generally speaking church attendance rates are declining. The areas which do not have such numbers are usually Orthodox Calvinist areas which have a social cohesion in faith, and they're largely rural as well. I think urbanization, education, rapid information and intercultural communication plays roles in it.

Aulus Maximus
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Aulus Maximus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:58 am

Industrial West Virginia wrote:There are also more Christians than ever. Numbers like that make no sense, unless you strictly talk percentages instead of numbers. You can use numbers as long as you cite the difference between it and, say, 500 years ago. Other than that, I can also say there are more Hindus, Christians, Muslims, and the like more than ever.

Yes, but there are numbers in the Netherlands that Christianity is declining.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:59 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:

https://waynenorthey.com/living-in-comm ... mas-hopko/

I should note that my priest generally defers to what this guy says.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:00 am

Aulus Maximus wrote:No but they can give an interpretation, and answer, about the question about self defense.

Blessed are the martyrs.

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:07 am

Aulus Maximus wrote:
Nordengrund wrote:

well, the only thing we can prove in the Netherlands is that, apart of certain isolated counties in the Netherlands, generally speaking church attendance rates are declining. The areas which do not have such numbers are usually Orthodox Calvinist areas which have a social cohesion in faith, and they're largely rural as well. I think urbanization, education, rapid information and intercultural communication plays roles in it.

Church attendance is below 1 million in the UK now. Also, richer countries are in most cases less religious (although anomalies such as the US and Vietnam exist)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General