NATION

PASSWORD

The Christian Discussion thread IX: Pelagius Rising.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Roman Catholic
34%
Eastern Orthodox
8%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East, etc.)
1%
Anglican/Episcopalian
7%
Lutheran or Reformed (including Calvinist, Presbyterian, etc.)
12%
Methodist
4%
Baptist
11%
Other Evangelical Protestant (Pentecostal, Charismatic, etc.)
7%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
2%
Other Christian
14%

Total votes : 795

The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:48 am

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:Considering that it directly affects the laity, they may want to take a page from the lawyers book. I mean, it isn’t as if not understanding marriage as a Catholic could backfire on you, amirite?

Not sure why normal, well-adjusted people would have divorce in mind when tying the knot, seems kinda defeatist; but I did hear pre-nup is a big thing among RCs.
Where are the sins of the world? ? CDT credentials: Confirmed Anglican
Eastern Orthodox almost-Catechumen (OCA) Roman Catholic drop-out (RCIA)
Eight Popes Have Condemned Freemasonry Since 1738Evolution Debunked
L.A.W.S. Of TempledomLatin Vulgate/Douay Rheims/KJVEngland Has Fallen
NationStates: a gargantuan (1k questions and counting) opinion poll to get big data on young people; JCPOA The Good Fight (X2) (It's biblical) NWO! MARK EXPOSED

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:53 am

The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:Considering that it directly affects the laity, they may want to take a page from the lawyers book. I mean, it isn’t as if not understanding marriage as a Catholic could backfire on you, amirite?

Not sure why normal, well-adjusted people would have divorce in mind when tying the knot, seems kinda defeatist; but I did hear pre-nup is a big thing among RCs.

I wasn’t referring to divorce in particular, I was referring to marriage; one should understand what marriage entails before being married by the Church.
Last edited by FelrikTheDeleted on Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:35 am

Blanco-Campeon wrote:Ya boi went to his first confession today in preparation for Easter Vigil. I had a big smile while I was praying my penance.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! :hug:

Doesn’t Confession feel good? :3
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Blanco-Campeon
Envoy

Founded: Feb 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Blanco-Campeon » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:39 am

Luminesa wrote:
Blanco-Campeon wrote:Ya boi went to his first confession today in preparation for Easter Vigil. I had a big smile while I was praying my penance.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! :hug:

It was great, if a bit awkward. I had a big list of sins to confess (was baptized 8 years ago), so it took a bit to get through them all. The priest had some good words of guidance and encouragement for me regarding the bigger sins in my life. He also said he was impressed when I said the Act of Contrition from memory haha
Roman Catholic. Monarchist. Learning Latin.

The devil appeared to a monk disguised as an angel of light, and said to him, “I am the angel Gabriel, and I have been sent to you.” But the monk said, “Are you sure you weren’t sent to someone else? I am not worthy to have an angel sent to me.” At that the devil vanished.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:35 pm

Blanco-Campeon wrote:
Luminesa wrote:YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! :hug:

It was great, if a bit awkward. I had a big list of sins to confess (was baptized 8 years ago), so it took a bit to get through them all. The priest had some good words of guidance and encouragement for me regarding the bigger sins in my life. He also said he was impressed when I said the Act of Contrition from memory haha

It's always a little awkward at first, but once you get in the habit of doing it semi-regularly (I try to go at least once a month), it'll stop being as awkward. And even if it's venial sins, you should still go. God is always waiting and willing to give us His grace, after all. :)
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:50 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:I wasn’t referring to divorce in particular, I was referring to marriage; one should understand what marriage entails before being married by the Church.

Like how marriage is indissoluble? And how divorce was supposed to *not* be an option?
NationStates: a gargantuan (1k questions and counting) opinion poll to get big data on young people; JCPOA The Good Fight (X2) (It's biblical) NWO! MARK EXPOSED

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:08 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:I wasn’t referring to divorce in particular, I was referring to marriage; one should understand what marriage entails before being married by the Church.

Like how marriage is indissoluble? And how divorce was supposed to *not* be an option?

Well yes, that along with the fact that annulment can only be granted if any of the sacraments taken by the couple were found to be invalid, otherwise, a unhappy marriage does not warrant an annulment.

Stonok
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Stonok » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:11 pm

I'm sure this has been asked, but where in the world do Catholics get the idea of Purgatory?

Blanco-Campeon
Envoy

Founded: Feb 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Blanco-Campeon » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:16 pm

Stonok wrote:I'm sure this has been asked, but where in the world do Catholics get the idea of Purgatory?

1 Corinthians 3:15, among many other things
Roman Catholic. Monarchist. Learning Latin.

The devil appeared to a monk disguised as an angel of light, and said to him, “I am the angel Gabriel, and I have been sent to you.” But the monk said, “Are you sure you weren’t sent to someone else? I am not worthy to have an angel sent to me.” At that the devil vanished.

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:40 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Claorica wrote:
SO... because our predecessor christians selectively ignored right and wrong to match their times (and yet still kept the sanctity of marriage (Also, the Christ gives specific dispensation for those divorces which are caused by sexual immorality in the Gospels)), we should allow a whole score of immoral unions such as those between the same sex and those divorces which are not caused by blatant sexual immorality, and should ignore and make no cares towards plenty of other immoralities and absolute evils that the modern conscience has allowed? in the name of "reconciling shifting issues with moral tradition"

In the words and spirit of Paul: NO. NOT. NEVER.

Right is always right, wrong is always wrong, it doesn't matter worth a damn if "the times" agree with them.

While I definitely agree that doctrine is unchangeable, I do think that Tars does raise a good point when it comes to the victims of a divorce, as in someone who by no fault of their own is betrayed by their spouse and is served divorce papers without their say in it. I mean, that by itself wasn't a reality more than a century ago (well, maybe idk the history of how divorces worked), so would we deny communion to someone who's a victim in that kind of circumstance? My gut says no, we shouldn't, but I know that the doctrinal reality of that is more complicated and we'd have to be very careful about how we go about it, if we do anything about it. It's something to think about at the very least.

I mean, there are other groups of people who are essentially required to be celibate if they wish to maintain access to the sacraments (impotent people, gay people, clergy, &c). I'm not sure how we could absolve the legally separated or civilly divorced from that requirement (regardless of the specific circumstances), and not do the same for all of those groups.

The same could even go for unmarried people in general - it's not like 'get married' is something you can just go and do, especially in a secular Western culture that expects couples to have a lengthy sexual relationship and then a period of cohabitation (the latter being a pretty definite disqualifier for access to the sacraments) before tying the knot.

And there are also issues beyond the West. Polygamy and concubinage are still popular in parts of Africa and Asia, and it would be difficult to admit 'remarried' divorcés to the sacraments without also extending it to at least some of the people in those sorts of relationships.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:46 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:Well yes, that along with the fact that annulment can only be granted if any of the sacraments taken by the couple were found to be invalid, otherwise, a unhappy marriage does not warrant an annulment.

Thus, in reply to your previous objection: No. Since most marriages are valid* and thus cannot be annulled, laity do not need to be instructed in the proper language of applicable canon laws. Rather, appropriate advice to such ends should only be divulged by priests on a case-by-case basis after prolonged and committed pastorial efforts to reconcile the couples whose marriages are suffering.

* in the context of this argument (/edit)
Last edited by The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom on Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:25 pm

The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:[…]No. Since most marriages are valid* and thus cannot be annulled, laity do not need to be instructed in the proper language of applicable canon laws.[…]

I think you missed my point. You are arguing from a position that presumes the couple is already married (from what I can tell), I am arguing from a position that presumes they haven’t yet married (and thus, I argue, they should know the intricacies of marriage according to the Church, lest they come to discover that they are in a bad place due to their ignorance of Catholic marriage).

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:22 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:...You are arguing from a position that presumes the couple is already married (from what I can tell), I am arguing from a position that presumes they haven’t yet married

Not so. The point, quite simply put, is divorce should not even be a point of conversation regardless of marital status: that every Catholic child should live and breathe the sanctity of the marriage character.

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:and thus, I argue, they should know the intricacies of marriage according to the Church, lest they come to discover that they are in a bad place due to their ignorance of Catholic marriage).

Their pastor can then advise them accordingly after all efforts at reconciliation have failed. Prior to the breakdown in affections, they should know that Matrimony is permanent and sacramental, nothing more.

What you are arguing for is quite unnecessary.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:59 pm

The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:Not so. The point, quite simply put, is divorce should not even be a point of conversation regardless of marital status: that every Catholic child should live and breathe the sanctity of the marriage character.

At what point did I say that divorce was apart of this conversation? I even denied that this argument was about divorce towards the beginning of the disagreement.

I am having a hard time understanding your position, if I’m to be quite honest. You began by stating, wrongly, that a marriage could be annulled if it is unhappy. You then dismissed the importance of the phrasing by implying that it shouldn’t matter as much to the laity as to the lawyers, despite the fact that we are all beholden to it. After this you bring divorce into the argument, even though it wasn’t, and still isn’t relevant — I’ll have you know that divorce and annulment are two different things. Then, after being told that I was referring to marriage as a whole rather than divorce, you mention two things (the indissolubly of the sacrament of marriage, and how divorce was not a option), both of which are correct; I confirmed that and reaffirmed that a unhappy marriage does not warrant an annulment.

From that point I can’t make sense of what you are arguing with me about, what is the point of contention?

The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:[…]What you are arguing for is quite unnecessary.

Why is it unnecessary? Are they not beholden to these laws of ours? Are they supposed to remain ignorant of the Church’s teachings? Are we supposed to encourage their ignorance, give them the bare basics but nothing else?

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:33 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:At what point did I say that divorce was apart of this conversation? I even denied that this argument was about divorce towards the beginning of the disagreement.

This entire exchange between us started when you raised the subject of canon law requirement for annulments.

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:I am having a hard time understanding your position, if I’m to be quite honest. You began by stating, wrongly, that a marriage could be annulled if it is unhappy.

Mind that I stated annulments can and have been used to nullify innumerable unhappy marriages, not that such a justification is doctrinally sound.

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:You then dismissed the importance of the phrasing by implying that it shouldn’t matter as much to the laity as to the lawyers, despite the fact that we are all beholden to it.

Shall I be more verbose? Phrasing matters less to the laity than the canon lawyers because the true reason for seeking annulments are unhappiness in their marriages, whether by way of succumbing to temptations, betrayals of trust, or some other issues, individual cases differ.

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:After this you bring divorce into the argument, even though it wasn’t, and still isn’t relevant — I’ll have you know that divorce and annulment are two different things. Then, after being told that I was referring to marriage as a whole rather than divorce, you mention two things (the indissolubly of the sacrament of marriage, and how divorce was not a option), both of which are correct; I confirmed that and reaffirmed that a unhappy marriage does not warrant an annulment.

From that point I can’t make sense of what you are arguing with me about, what is the point of contention?

You are strongly advocating for the education of the laity in the technicalities of the annulment process (which if according to your wording, might entail lying about intention to marry at the time of marriage! Lying about cause!),

I argue it is unnecessary, illogical, wasteful and potentially harmful. Merely acknowledging the existence of the possibility will suffice, with strong emphasis that such a recourse should only be sought in the more dire of situations and only when all avenues for remediation have been exhausted.

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:Why is it unnecessary? Are they not beholden to these laws of ours? Are they supposed to remain ignorant of the Church’s teachings? Are we supposed to encourage their ignorance, give them the bare basics but nothing else?

See above.

Mujahidah
Minister

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mujahidah » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:37 pm

The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:Mind that I stated annulments can and have been used to nullify innumerable unhappy marriages, not that such a justification is doctrinally sound.

Not entirely related, but, in your mind, is an abusive marriage valid? (In a vacuum, devoid of other factors)
Your friendly, quirky neighborhood muslim girl
The Parkus Empire wrote:To paraphrase my hero, Richard Nixon: she's pink right down to her hijab.
The Parkus Empire wrote:I misjudged you, you are much more smarter than I gave you credit for.
Northern Davincia wrote:Can we engrave this in a plaque?
The Parkus Empire wrote:I am not sure I'm entirely comfortable with a woman being this well informed, but I'll try not to judge.
The Parkus Empire wrote:Ah, m'lady, if I were a heathen I'd wed thee four times

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:44 pm

Mujahidah wrote:Not entirely related, but, in your mind, is an abusive marriage valid? (In a vacuum, devoid of other factors)

In my mind? Marriage vows made before God are binding to the highest degree.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:45 pm

I honestly can’t be bothered any longer, I may pick up this argument again another time, but for the meantime, I’ll drop it.

Mujahidah
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mujahidah » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:45 pm

Mujahidah wrote:Not entirely related, but, in your mind, is an abusive marriage valid? (In a vacuum, devoid of other factors)

In my mind? Marriage vows made before God are binding to the highest degree.

So what should be done in the case of abuse? Lets say that one spouse is physically abusing the other.
The Parkus Empire wrote:To paraphrase my hero, Richard Nixon: she's pink right down to her hijab.
The Parkus Empire wrote:I misjudged you, you are much more smarter than I gave you credit for.
The Parkus Empire wrote:I am not sure I'm entirely comfortable with a woman being this well informed, but I'll try not to judge.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:47 pm

Mujahidah wrote:So what should be done in the case of abuse? Lets say that one spouse is physically abusing the other.

Mediation. Call the police.

Mujahidah
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mujahidah » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:50 pm

Mujahidah wrote:So what should be done in the case of abuse? Lets say that one spouse is physically abusing the other.

Mediation. Call the police.

And? The police get involved. Guy goes to jail. Gets out. They're still married. No amount of mediation is solving the issue. The spouse is still abusive. What should be done then?

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:53 pm

Mujahidah wrote:
The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:Mediation. Call the police.

And? The police get involved. Guy goes to jail. Gets out. They're still married. No amount of mediation is solving the issue. The spouse is still abusive. What should be done then?

If they are unable to live together, they are permitted to be physically seperated.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:02 am

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Mujahidah wrote:And? The police get involved. Guy goes to jail. Gets out. They're still married. No amount of mediation is solving the issue. The spouse is still abusive. What should be done then?

If they are unable to live together, they are permitted to be physically seperated.

Um, what he said ^
Last edited by The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom on Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mujahidah
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mujahidah » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:05 am

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Mujahidah wrote:

Does this mean their marriage is dissolved? Or can neither of them remarry?

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:21 am

Mujahidah wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

Does this mean their marriage is dissolved? Or can neither of them remarry?

Marriage is indissoluble, neither can remarry. This is why, along with the spiritual and symbolic significance of the sacrament, we take this matter so seriously, marriage isn’t an issue to take lightly, we (and by “we” I mean then Church) make sure that those that participate know full well what they’re getting into.
Last edited by FelrikTheDeleted on Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General