NATION

PASSWORD

Trump MAGAthread IX: Korea, The Dreamers and Trump

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kramania
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kramania » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:33 pm

AiliailiA wrote:
Kramania wrote:I guess if you want to disregard our immigration laws then there isn't.

Excellent then. We'll change the immigration law and then you will have no argument against Dreamers.

Oh I will. I'll just argue for changing the laws back to what they were.
Watching my sanity slip away in my dreams

Ism
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ism » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:36 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Hope has long since died.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. – Andy Dufresne

You've just quoted a convicted murderer who illegally immigrated from the US to Mexico in the context of the Trump administration. There's a joke in there somewhere, I just know it.

Ism
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ism » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:37 pm

Kramania wrote:
AiliailiA wrote:
Excellent then. We'll change the immigration law and then you will have no argument against Dreamers.

Why?

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:39 pm

Kramania wrote:
New haven america wrote:1. Oh well
2. This is actually a viable argument
3. I'd be fine with that

There is no reasoning with supporters of open borders.

I'm sorry you hate logic and facts.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:39 pm

Kramania wrote:
Mombombu wrote:

I'd agree with you if it weren't for the fact that they pay into them with their tax dollars.

Then we shall remedy that and remove them from the country so they no longer need to pay taxes to our government.

Also, they pay federal taxes?

Of course. It's one of the requirements to be eligible for DACA, and was in the DREAM act too.

Personally I'd ditch that. If they're ineligible for federal benefits (as in DACA and DREAM) and they can find some other way besides crime (also disqualifying) like depending on their family or on private charity, then I'd allow them to stay. But the idea that "idle hands do the devil's work" is deeply ingrained in the US welfare system: idleness is considered tantamount to criminality. See for instance how states can get away with drug testing welfare recipients: where is the probable cause to search them for that crime, but in the fact they are unemployed or earning so little they need welfare?
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:45 pm

Kramania wrote:
AiliailiA wrote:

Donald Trump just did that, but with a 6 month delay. DACA exempted certain people (brought to the US as children but not just that) from enforcement of immigration law. If Congress passes a bill to replace DACA, it will be very similar, hopefully a bit more permissive as the DACA restrictions were modelled on previous DREAM act restrictions.

When six months is up, I'm betting Trump will put DACA right back if Congress hasn't made a bill to the same effect. Poor you.
Last edited by AiliailiA on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:53 pm

Camicon wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Yes.

I seem to recall that "no taxation without representation" was one of the reasons that the US fought Britain for independence.

So it's a good enough reason for treason and war, but not illegal immigration? Care to square that circle?

You seem to be making a whole other argument. It's not that Dreamers should be allowed to stay, but that they should be allowed TO VOTE.

As if the American rebels would have given up all idea of rebellion or independence and gladly submitted to the Crown if only they could vote for the British Parliament. Obviously not: it was a slogan not a principle.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Thyest
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thyest » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:56 pm

We should have illegal immigrants work on building the wall. Make it big and beautiful. When it's finished and they are admiring their handiwork; they will realize that they are on the Mexican side.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:58 pm

Thyest wrote:We should have illegal immigrants work on building the wall. Make it big and beautiful. When it's finished and they are admiring their handiwork; they will realize that they are on the Mexican side.

Hard dee har har, like that hasn't been repeated 9000 times or so, how truly original of you.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:00 pm

AiliailiA wrote:
Camicon wrote:I seem to recall that "no taxation without representation" was one of the reasons that the US fought Britain for independence.

So it's a good enough reason for treason and war, but not illegal immigration? Care to square that circle?

You seem to be making a whole other argument. It's not that Dreamers should be allowed to stay, but that they should be allowed TO VOTE.

As if the American rebels would have given up all idea of rebellion or independence and gladly submitted to the Crown if only they could vote for the British Parliament. Obviously not: it was a slogan not a principle.

That isn't the argument I'm making, clearly. I am comparing a more extreme situation (taxes without receiving benefits from them justifying treason and war) to the one that the US finds itself in with regards to DACA (taxes without receiving benefits from them justifying not being deported).
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:06 pm

Camicon wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Yes it fucking does.

It's not like you can provide tangible evidence to support a particular philosophy. It's all dependent on logical proofs and accepting the implicit assumptions they make.

If we could provide evidence the same way we can for the sciences there wouldn't be so many competing, and equally valid, philosophies.

Yes, you can. I don't know what you mean by "philosophy", but it has absolutely nothing to do with actual academic philosophy.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:08 pm

Camicon wrote:
AiliailiA wrote:

That isn't the argument I'm making, clearly. I am comparing a more extreme situation (taxes without receiving benefits from them justifying treason and war) to the one that the US finds itself in with regards to DACA (taxes without receiving benefits from them justifying not being deported).

The historical example you chose just doesn't fit the purpose very well, since it actually supports something else (right to vote) better than it supports an entitlement to welfare.

What you say, paying taxes means entitlement to welfare, may still be provable some other way. It doesn't seem very sound to me. Paying taxes where they're required doesn't entitle a citizen to anything which wasn't their right anyway: it's not a positive act, it only complying with the law. And why would you extend a new right to non-citizens which citizens do not have.
Last edited by AiliailiA on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:18 pm

Thyest wrote:We should have illegal immigrants work on building the wall. Make it big and beautiful. When it's finished and they are admiring their handiwork; they will realize that they are on the Mexican side.

"The Mexican side" is still US territory. Unlike some of the fence which was built with the consent of the Mexican government, it would be flagrantly illegal to build any part of the wall on Mexican land.

Oh, and not all illegal immigrants are Mexicans either, but you're only making a joke and logical consistency isn't necessary is it ...

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:28 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Camicon wrote:It's not like you can provide tangible evidence to support a particular philosophy. It's all dependent on logical proofs and accepting the implicit assumptions they make.

If we could provide evidence the same way we can for the sciences there wouldn't be so many competing, and equally valid, philosophies.

Yes, you can. I don't know what you mean by "philosophy", but it has absolutely nothing to do with actual academic philosophy.

Then go and find me some tangible evidence to prove a particular philosophy, and I'll go and find some tangible evidence to prove a particular scientific theory. Yeah?
AiliailiA wrote:
Camicon wrote:That isn't the argument I'm making, clearly. I am comparing a more extreme situation (taxes without receiving benefits from them justifying treason and war) to the one that the US finds itself in with regards to DACA (taxes without receiving benefits from them justifying not being deported).

The historical example you chose just doesn't fit the purpose very well, since it actually supports something else (right to vote) better than it supports an entitlement to welfare.

What you say, paying taxes means entitlement to welfare, may still be provable some other way. It doesn't seem very sound to me. Paying taxes where they're required doesn't entitle a citizen to anything which wasn't their right anyway: it's not a positive act, it only complying with the law. And why would you extend a new right to non-citizens which citizens do not have.

The historical example works just fine, because "no taxation without representation" was a protest slogan against what Americans saw as a tax burden that they received no benefit from. Similarly, DACA recipients have a tax burden that they see no benefit from. Whether the benefit in question is the right to vote or welfare is beside the point.

Taxes are paid for the purpose of supporting the state apparatus, enabling it to carry out the functions that it is obligated to. The obligations of the state to it's citizens are quite clear, but what is less clear are it's obligations to non-citizens that nonetheless pay taxes to it.

It's not a questions of extending rights to non-citizens that citizens don't have, but a question of whether or not to grant certain privileges that citizens already enjoy to non-citizen taxpayers.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:35 pm

Camicon wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Then go and find me some tangible evidence to prove a particular philosophy, and I'll go and find some tangible evidence to prove a particular scientific theory. Yeah?
AiliailiA wrote:

The historical example works just fine, because "no taxation without representation" was a protest slogan against what Americans saw as a tax burden that they received no benefit from. Similarly, DACA recipients have a tax burden that they see no benefit from. Whether the benefit in question is the right to vote or welfare is beside the point.

Taxes are paid for the purpose of supporting the state apparatus, enabling it to carry out the functions that it is obligated to. The obligations of the state to it's citizens are quite clear, but what is less clear are it's obligations to non-citizens that nonetheless pay taxes to it.

It's not a questions of extending rights to non-citizens that citizens don't have, but a question of whether or not to grant certain privileges that citizens already enjoy to non-citizen taxpayers.

Well the slogan specifies the benefit in question. And voting is not the same as receiving social benefits.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:39 pm

Telconi wrote:
Camicon wrote:Then go and find me some tangible evidence to prove a particular philosophy, and I'll go and find some tangible evidence to prove a particular scientific theory. Yeah?

Well the slogan specifies the benefit in question. And voting is not the same as receiving social benefits.

It's good, then, that both of those things are irrelevant to my point.
Last edited by Camicon on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Thyest
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thyest » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:41 pm

AiliailiA wrote:

"The Mexican side" is still US territory. Unlike some of the fence which was built with the consent of the Mexican government, it would be flagrantly illegal to build any part of the wall on Mexican land.

Oh, and not all illegal immigrants are Mexicans either, but you're only making a joke and logical consistency isn't necessary is it ...

Illegals building illegally, on someone's legal property, an illegal wall to keep out illegal immigrants. Let the lawyers figure that one out buddy.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:42 pm

Thyest wrote:
AiliailiA wrote:

Illegals building illegally, on someone's legal property, an illegal wall to keep out illegal immigrants. Let the lawyers figure that one out buddy.

Or we could try not blowing billions on something that won't actually make a difference.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:43 pm

Thyest wrote:
AiliailiA wrote:

So... Texas?

Bad joke, I'ma go sit in the corner.
Last edited by New haven america on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:50 pm

Thyest wrote:
AiliailiA wrote:

You've almost made the joke funny. Keep trying.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:19 pm

When did Trump ever refuse to pull out of anyone anything?

Now that the joke is out of the system, something tells me this is someone taking notes from Pelosi and Schumer and playing a concerto with Trump like a whiny orange cello.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Kramania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kramania » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:29 pm

New haven america wrote:
Kramania wrote:There is no reasoning with supporters of open borders.

I'm sorry you hate logic and facts.

That's actually pretty funny because you presented no logic and facts.

That may actually be the funniest thing I've ever seen you say.

Kramania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kramania » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:29 pm

Ism wrote:
Kramania wrote:Oh I will. I'll just argue for changing the laws back to what they were.

Why?

Because I see no justifiable reason not to have a thorough immigrant process that must be respected.

Kramania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kramania » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:31 pm

AiliailiA wrote:
Kramania wrote:Oh I will. I'll just argue for changing the laws back to what they were.

Donald Trump just did that, but with a 6 month delay. DACA exempted certain people (brought to the US as children but not just that) from enforcement of immigration law. If Congress passes a bill to replace DACA, it will be very similar, hopefully a bit more permissive as the DACA restrictions were modelled on previous DREAM act restrictions.

When six months is up, I'm betting Trump will put DACA right back if Congress hasn't made a bill to the same effect. Poor you.

That would be tantamount to political suicide for Trump.

I seriously, seriously doubt he'd do that.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:39 pm

Kramania wrote:
New haven america wrote:I'm sorry you hate logic and facts.

That's actually pretty funny because you presented no logic and facts.

That may actually be the funniest thing I've ever seen you say.

I was more talking about how people who support open borders tend to use actual logic and facts compared to those who don't (Who usually site nationalistic or tribalistic beliefs).

I wouldn't expect you to understand...
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General