NATION

PASSWORD

Republican Senate or Republican County?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
New welpland
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Republican Senate or Republican County?

Postby New welpland » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:29 pm

Let's imagine this scenario for a moment.

Say you live in a county somewhere in some state. Your county executive is a Republican, though your county is heavily Democratic in every other way. The only way he hangs on is through the abundance of rich people and members of a certain increasingly-Republican ethnic minority in the county. In addition, elections are nearing so this county executive sees the writing on the wall, and consequently is desperately trying to pivot to the center. However there's a problem, this county executive's challenger is a popular state senator. If he were to become county executive, that would mean giving up his seat in the State Senate, which is likely to be filled by a Republican. The Governor and Assembly are both controlled by the Democrats in this state. Only the State Senate is controlled by the Republicans (hint: even though Democrats are the majority when elected,) and losing a seat would make the task of taking it back more annoying.

What would you do? At this point do you really want to risk it and get rid of that county executive? I'm not so sure anymore. He might have ran an annoying campaign in the past, but in substance he isn't too bad. His platform isn't too different from his Democratic challenger, both say they won't raise taxes. The only significant critical points are that the Republican wants to lease out the local airport to private administrators to fill a budget hole, and he vetoed a bill making the county a sanctuary bill. I'm not so sure.

Does NSG have another opinion? Is a Republican county preferable to a senate controlled by them?
pro;
con;

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:45 pm

What are the policies of the republican county executive? Are the pro-gun, pro-business, that sort of thing? And then what's the policies of his opponent?

I don't vote strictly by party I vote by the individual and their policies
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

New welpland
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby New welpland » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:51 pm

Thermodolia wrote:What are the policies of the republican county executive? Are the pro-gun, pro-business, that sort of thing? And then what's the policies of his opponent?

I don't vote strictly by party I vote by the individual and their policies

Of course the Republican is pro-gun and pro business. The Democrat on the other hand, is anti-gun, but strangely enough gets ok ratings from Conservative and pro-business groups.
pro;
con;

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:12 pm

At least where I am on the local level both the Republicans and Democrats are equally corrupt, so I'm screwed either way.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Aethrys
Minister

Founded: Apr 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aethrys » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:01 pm

Sell your vote to a libertarian obviously.
"Concentration of power in a political machine is bad; and an Established Church is only a political machine; it was invented for that; it is nursed, cradled, preserved for that; it is an enemy to human liberty, and does no good which it could not better do in a split-up and scattered condition." - Mark Twain

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:06 pm

Aethrys wrote:Sell your vote to a libertarian obviously.

How much are they going for?
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:07 pm

New welpland wrote:Let's imagine this scenario for a moment.

Say you live in a county somewhere in some state within the United States of America (you really failed to include that? Really? There are other countries out there you know?) Your county executive is a Republican, though your county is heavily Democratic in every other way. The only way he hangs on is through the abundance of rich people and members of a certain increasingly-Republican ethnic minority in the county. In addition, elections are nearing so this county executive sees the writing on the wall, and consequently is desperately trying to pivot to the center. However there's a problem, this county executive's challenger is a popular state senator. If he were to become county executive, that would mean giving up his seat in the State Senate, which is likely to be filled by a Republican. The Governor and Assembly are both controlled by the Democrats in this state. Only the State Senate is controlled by the Republicans (hint: even though Democrats are the majority when elected,) and losing a seat would make the task of taking it back more annoying.

What would you do? At this point do you really want to risk it and get rid of that county executive? I'm not so sure anymore. He might have ran an annoying campaign in the past, but in substance he isn't too bad. His platform isn't too different from his Democratic challenger, both say they won't raise taxes. The only significant critical points are that the Republican wants to lease out the local airport to private administrators to fill a budget hole, and he vetoed a bill making the county a sanctuary bill. I'm not so sure.
Does NSG have another opinion? Is a Republican county preferable to a senate controlled by them?

Why does this thread automatically assume that the reader opposes the Republican party? There are conservatives out there you know (that's how the Republicans get elected in the first place)
Also, if you hate the Republican party that much, why can't you just pack up and move a few kilometres down the block, to a new county?
I'm sure that Republican counties in Democrat states are few and far between
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:25 pm

Political philosophy matters less at lower levels, like county chairman. Republicans or Democrats are going to do the best they can for the good of the county. State senators our going to be more involved in party politics. I would vote with the state Senate in mind. A Republican county chairman will probably do just fine. The Senate will set policy state wide, and this policy is determined more by political philosophy. I live in Indiana, a very Republican state. Still, there are several Democratic mayors, county chairs, ect... because political parties don't matter that much in lower level positions.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

The Sauganash Union
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sauganash Union » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:25 pm

New welpland wrote:Let's imagine this scenario for a moment.

Say you live in a county somewhere in some state. Your county executive is a Republican, though your county is heavily Democratic in every other way. The only way he hangs on is through the abundance of rich people and members of a certain increasingly-Republican ethnic minority in the county.

Miami-Dade?
A nation founded in the early 1800s by Federalist immigrants from the United States. Has since developed an identity of its own and imperial ambitions. Now a neoliberal imperial power that justifies its aggression by putting it the name of tolerance and social justice.

Handshakes and tie knots. I don't have time for someone who can't master these simple things.

Bitely
Envoy

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Bitely » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:30 pm

that's easy get the Democrat in the low-level county position so that the Republican can get the senate position.
Resisting the World Assembly elite since July, 2015 |
Loyal Singular Party member since 2019

Ambassador Thomas Branson III son of our late Ambassador Thomas Branson II.
Reigning Prince Gregory Artaxerxes Bitely

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General