NATION

PASSWORD

Nazi Vote and Free Video Games Scenario

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do we have a deal?

Yes
31%
Hell No
69%

Total votes : 151

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:40 pm

Seleucas wrote:
San Lumen wrote:so basically why bother having elections? Thats what you saying. You'd be perfectly with a system like what they have in Eritrea in Canada.

Being indifferent to elections no more implies wanting to impose a system like Eritrea anymore than supporting democracy indicates wanting to have a system like Pakistan.

If a system works fine, I could not care less if I get to participate in it. I would be happy living in a country like Singapore, where the ruling party rigs elections in their favor. Likewise for me with the Emirate of Dubai, where they do not even bother with the pretense of electoral politics.

By the same token, despite my ability to vote in the United States, I have no reason to believe that the two major parties have any interest in my well-being, or that any party that could become a major player would resist the urge to rent-seek on behalf of their cronies and backers. Elected officials are just as much bound to the iron law of oligarchy as anyone else.

Well said

Couldn't agree more

Seleucas
Minister

Founded: Jun 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Seleucas » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:40 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Seleucas wrote:
Being indifferent to elections no more implies wanting to impose a system like Eritrea anymore than supporting democracy indicates wanting to have a system like Pakistan.

If a system works fine, I could not care less if I get to participate in it. I would be happy living in a country like Singapore, where the ruling party rigs elections in their favor. Likewise for me with the Emirate of Dubai, where they do not even bother with the pretense of electoral politics.

By the same token, despite my ability to vote in the United States, I have no reason to believe that the two major parties have any interest in my well-being, or that any party that could become a major player would resist the urge to rent-seek on behalf of their cronies and backers. Elected officials are just as much bound to the iron law of oligarchy as anyone else.

where do you think politicians come from? They don't fall from the sky from anther reality. They come from towns just like yours.

I would not need to search very far in my city to encounter selfish people willing to harm or dupe people without any regard to the greater good; believe me, I've found plenty without trying.

Politicians are inherently shackled to their political machines, and will thus endeavor to deliver benefits to those in-the-know while socializing the costs of their policies. This explains everything from the government using drones to blow up little boys and girls in Yemen to subsidizing farmers to grow cotton out in the middle of the desert; whatever the pretenses of popular sovereignty, at the end of the day the beast has to be fed or it will turn on the keeper.

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Seleucas wrote:

Well said

Couldn't agree more

Thank you!
Last edited by Seleucas on Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like an unscrupulous boyfriend, Obama lies about pulling out after fucking you.
-Tokyoni

The State never intentionally confronts a man's sense, intellectual or moral, but only his body, his senses. It is not armed with superior wit or honesty, but with superior physical strength. I was not born to be forced.
- Henry David Thoreau

Oh please. Those people should grow up. The South will NOT rise again.

The Union will instead, fall.
-Distruzio

Dealing with a banking crisis was difficult enough, but at least there were public-sector balance sheets on to which the problems could be moved. Once you move into sovereign debt, there is no answer; there’s no backstop.
-Mervyn King, Governor of the Bank of England

Right: 10.00
Libertarian: 9.9
Non-interventionist: 10
Cultural Liberal: 6.83

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:46 pm

So for free video games all I have to do is give up a single, meaningless vote when I wasn't going to vote anyways? Sounds like a deal.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Previous

Return to General