NATION

PASSWORD

Baltimore to remove Confederate Monuments

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:44 am

Put 'em in a museum. Let 'em gather dust in some storage room. They don't deserve anything more.
San Lumen wrote:History should never be tossed.

They're cheap propaganda pieces made long after the fact. Good riddance tbh.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Saint Gloria
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Gloria » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:46 am

I believe that all monuments should be respected as they represent our history as a nation, and should not be torn down because one terrorist decides to ram a car into a crowd.

Volitopia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Volitopia » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:46 am

Kenmoria wrote:I am extremely opposed to this idea. All historical artefacts need to be preserved and kept so that future generations can learn from them. Even if the artifices were the most morally reprehensible things in the world there is still something future people could learn them. In fact, this is escpecially important with artifacts celebrating evil because they remind us not to repeat the same mistakes again.

Then how about putting them in a museum, where they can be preserved for far longer than if they were exposed to the elements and thereby achieve your goal of preserving history?

Valyrian Freeholds
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valyrian Freeholds » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:47 am

ohmyGOD just put the thing in a museum it'll still get the proper care that people who care about it want, it'll be out of a public space like the people who don't like them want and being in a museum it'll be under security, far more so than it would be remaining in a park or square.
For: Capitalism, Third Way Politics, Authoritarianism, Globalization, Individualism, Freedom of speech, Secular Government, Egalitarianism, Meritocracy, Social Housing, Civic Nationalism, Keynesian Capitalism, Bees, Social Democracy
Meh: Stalinism, Maoism, Russia, NATO, Iran, Fascism
Against: Communism, Welfare Chauvinism,Diversity quotas, Anarchy, Uninformed Electorate, Hereditary positions, Trump
Is it bees?! IS IT BEES?!!!

If we're right, people lose homes. People lose jobs. People lose retirement savings, people lose pensions. You know what I hate about f*cking banking? It reduces people to numbers. Here's a number - every 1% unemployment goes up, 40,000 people die, did you know that? - The Big Short

Neonistan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Neonistan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:47 am

simple opinion people today are stupid history ignorant crybabies. hold on to your butt sarcasm ahead "Why not stop their lets just tear down the Jefferson Memorial, Mt Rushmore, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, heck tear down the US all have existed and stood for reprehensible acts. " but really why is it the cry babies only destroy one persons history but not their own which is also flawed. history is history no destruction of statues or removal of them will change what happened but when will we learn and stop crusading and purging our own history just because its not happy people frolicking in a eco friendly utopia doesn't mean its not worthy to study or remember.

Republic Of Varra
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic Of Varra » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:48 am

Conserative Morality wrote:Put 'em in a museum. Let 'em gather dust in some storage room. They don't deserve anything more.
San Lumen wrote:History should never be tossed.

That is heavily incorrect, at least in the north. This specific statue in the picture was made in honor of the thousands of soldiers who died in the war. This isn't propaganda at all, this is a tribute to the soldiers who fought for their homes, and many being forced to fight for the confederacy.
Political alignment: (0,0)

Tagete
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tagete » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:48 am

Maryland wasn't a confederate state, It was only a slave state.

Staniel
Envoy

Founded: Jun 15, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Staniel » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:49 am

At least put them in a museum for historical purposes - although I find it confusing that because this event happened, the City instantly removed them from their historic sites. And also, the Confederates fought for the South, not for slavery.
Last edited by Staniel on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Staniel: 128 Mil+ Under The Law of Moral Freedom
NewsFastTicker: Nogal-Groot protests for more water in homes advance to second day | 3 wounded in New Staniel City concert shooting; suspect still at large | Phone lines still cut off in Avery due to powerful storm
A 15.4 civilization, according to this index.

Vivida Vis Animi
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Vivida Vis Animi » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:50 am

Just going to post this here for some context as to when these monuments were placed.

The creator of the graphic, in place of a source.
My Factbook and it's WIP
Current obsession: The Italian Wars
Telegrams always open
LOVEWHOYOUARE~<3

Estainia
Senator

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Estainia » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:52 am

---
Last edited by Estainia on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Empire of the Etai
Is a bit of magic your thing, or scientific post-modernism?
Consider joining Rostil today and help build a lasting setting!

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:52 am

Republic Of Varra wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Put 'em in a museum. Let 'em gather dust in some storage room. They don't deserve anything more.

That is heavily incorrect, at least in the north. This specific statue in the picture was made in honor of the thousands of soldiers who died in the war. This isn't propaganda at all, this is a tribute to the soldiers who fought for their homes, and many being forced to fight for the confederacy.

Don't give me that bullshit. Those soldiers fought against their country, against democracy, and against their countrymen. They deserve jack shit. They had no honor. If they had any honor, they'd've joined a Southern Union Regiment, like thousands of good, honest American boys did, or kept the Union alive in their hearts if they couldn't join up, as many did.

Fuck the ones who knuckled under and raised a gun against the Union because 'muh slaves'. And 'They didn't own slaves personally! They were just DEFENDING slave-ownership!' doesn't make one wick of difference to me. Fuck. Them.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:54 am

Staniel wrote:At least put them in a museum for historical purposes - although I find it confusing that because this event happened, the City instantly removed them from their historic sites. And also, the Confederates fought for the South, not for slavery.

Oh, right, how could I forget, 'the South'.

Mind reminding me just what the fuck Louisiana had in common with Texas and SC other than the importance of slavery in their local economies?

Valyrian Freeholds
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valyrian Freeholds » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:59 am

Staniel wrote:At least put them in a museum for historical purposes - although I find it confusing that because this event happened, the City instantly removed them from their historic sites. And also, the Confederates fought for the South, not for slavery.

No they didn't they fought to defend the institution of slavery. Plain and simple. Abraham Lincoln was elected president despite not being on the ballot of 9 southern states and as he was seen as an abolitionist (Not even, he simply opposed its expansion), the south seceded in fear of having their "property" taken away from them.

Any idea of southern nationalism or fighting for states' rights was conjured up by rich white slave owners to convince poor whites who didn't own slaves to fight. And what a surprise poor whites still believe that shit.
For: Capitalism, Third Way Politics, Authoritarianism, Globalization, Individualism, Freedom of speech, Secular Government, Egalitarianism, Meritocracy, Social Housing, Civic Nationalism, Keynesian Capitalism, Bees, Social Democracy
Meh: Stalinism, Maoism, Russia, NATO, Iran, Fascism
Against: Communism, Welfare Chauvinism,Diversity quotas, Anarchy, Uninformed Electorate, Hereditary positions, Trump
Is it bees?! IS IT BEES?!!!

If we're right, people lose homes. People lose jobs. People lose retirement savings, people lose pensions. You know what I hate about f*cking banking? It reduces people to numbers. Here's a number - every 1% unemployment goes up, 40,000 people die, did you know that? - The Big Short

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:00 am

Valyrian Freeholds wrote:No they didn't they fought to defend the institution of slavery. Plain and simple. Abraham Lincoln was elected president despite not being on the ballot of 9 southern states and as he was seen as an abolitionist (Not even, he simply opposed its expansion), the south seceded in fear of having their "property" taken away from them.

Any idea of southern nationalism or fighting for states' rights was conjured up by rich white slave owners to convince poor whites who didn't own slaves to fight. And what a surprise poor whites still believe that shit.

Largely conjured after their loss. They made it quite clear what they were fighting for at the time, with no shame.

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:02 am

Well, it was for States' Rights. Not the South. Nor slavery. Which is why I am also against people outright banning the Confederate flag. Especially since we still sell Soviet flags and copies of "Mein Kampf"
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:02 am

Dylar wrote:

Well, it was for States' Rights. Not the South. Nor slavery. Which is why I am also against people outright banning the Confederate flag. Especially since we still sell Soviet flags and copies of "Mein Kampf"

If it wasn't about slavery why does every article of secession say it was about slavery?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Neonistan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Neonistan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:03 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Republic Of Varra wrote:

Don't give me that bullshit. Those soldiers fought against their country, against democracy, and against their countrymen. They deserve jack shit. They had no honor. If they had any honor, they'd've joined a Southern Union Regiment, like thousands of good, honest American boys did, or kept the Union alive in their hearts if they couldn't join up, as many did.

Fuck the ones who knuckled under and raised a gun against the Union because 'muh slaves'. And 'They didn't own slaves personally! They were just DEFENDING slave-ownership!' doesn't make one wick of difference to me. Fuck. Them.

well I could cut and paste your comment on all of America as well since they were traitors to the Crown were they not English citizens rebelling against a government the reason you call the people of the CSA traitor is they lost so what if the American rebels lost during the revolution would they not be traitors as well? this logic is stupid same can be said for South Vietnam, South Korea, South Sudan, and many other nations who fought and won or fought and lost all can be called traitors if your gonna call one loser a traitor you might as well call them all traitors same goes for all the winners as well

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:04 am

Dylar wrote:

These the same 'States' Rights' that resulted in the passage of the Fugitive Slave Act largely against the objections of abolitionist Northern states?

SMDH

Few people, if any, are calling for bans on the Confederate flag altogether. Most people are opposed to the CSA being honored on Union property; and with the recent rise in WN, many stores are distancing themselves from the kind of clientele that likes to buy up this shit as well.

Vivida Vis Animi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vivida Vis Animi » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:04 am

Dylar wrote:

If anything then it was for the states' rights to own slaves, which is basically over slavery then. The confederate flag is now a go-to symbol for any right wing radical, so I understand why it's banned, although I am against it personally. Even if you manage to ban it completely they'll just rally around some other symbol.
My Factbook and it's WIP
Telegrams always open
LOVEWHOYOUARE~<3

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:05 am

Sound to me like the politicians in Baltimore are jealous of the press time given to those in Charlottesville and have decided to stir the pot.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Vivida Vis Animi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vivida Vis Animi » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:06 am

Neonistan wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Don't give me that bullshit. Those soldiers fought against their country, against democracy, and against their countrymen. They deserve jack shit. They had no honor. If they had any honor, they'd've joined a Southern Union Regiment, like thousands of good, honest American boys did, or kept the Union alive in their hearts if they couldn't join up, as many did.

well I could cut and paste your comment on all of America as well since they were traitors to the Crown

Damn right. #makeamericabritishagain #queen2020 #atleastgiveusaparliament
My Factbook and it's WIP
Telegrams always open
LOVEWHOYOUARE~<3

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:06 am

Neonistan wrote:well I could cut and paste your comment on all of America as well since they were traitors to the Crown were they not English citizens rebelling against a government the reason you call the people of the CSA traitor is they lost so what if the American rebels lost during the revolution would they not be traitors as well? this logic is stupid same can be said for South Vietnam, South Korea, South Sudan, and many other nations who fought and won or fought and lost all can be called traitors if your gonna call one loser a traitor you might as well call them all traitors same goes for all the winners as well

I don't remember where or when I asked the UK to 'honor' the American Revolution. And furthermore, all traitors aren't equal. "I'm not represented so I'm gonna rebel" /=/ "I'm over-represented but I'm gonna rebel because there's a chance that I won't be able to pass on muh slaves to my great-grandchildren"

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:06 am

Aclion wrote:Sound to me like the politicians in Baltimore are jealous of the press time given to those in Charlottesville and have decided to stir the pot.

>> discussion of removal been going on since 2015

Yes, that's exactly it, we Marylanders have prophetic powers.

Kannap
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 07, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kannap » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:07 am

Kenmoria wrote:I am extremely opposed to this idea. All historical artefacts need to be preserved and kept so that future generations can learn from them. Even if the artifices were the most morally reprehensible things in the world there is still something future people could learn them. In fact, this is escpecially important with artifacts celebrating evil because they remind us not to repeat the same mistakes again.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - history can be happily preserved and kept for future generations to learn from in museums. Statues celebrating evil history should not be placed on a pedestal in the center of town.
Luna Amore wrote:Please remember to attend the ritualistic burning of Kannap for heresy
T H E M O U N T A I N S A R E C A L L I N G A N D I M U S T G O
G A Y S I N C E 1 9 9 7
.::The List of National Sports::.
27 years old, gay demisexual, they/them agnostic, North Carolinian. Pumpkin Spice everything.
TET's resident red panda
Red Panda Network
Jill Stein 2024

Redsection
Minister

Founded: Jan 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Redsection » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:10 am

It's just stirring an unnecessary ruckus , history is history whether you like it or not.
[*]National Syndicalist
[*]Soon to join the American Blackshirt Party
[*]Majority European, Native American ancestry, latino heritage
[*]Anti: Globalism , Communism , Nazism, Satanism
[*]Pro: Fascism, Guns Rights, Militias

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General