NATION

PASSWORD

Charlottesville: Where Do We Go From Here?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:07 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Germanic Templars wrote:
Which you did poorly, because it made it look as if you were saying they only get killed because they are Muslim (enter your Wikipedia article over Islamaphobia).

Actually, yes, sometimes. In Torroca's source, the motives of the criminals are quoted. And some or most of them were because they were either Muslim, looked Muslim (Sikhs get beat up too because stupid people can't tell the difference), or had brown skin and/or Middle Eastern or South Asian features.

You know why those have become more frequent?

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Germanic Templars wrote:
What point is there to discuss, especially at this point?

What I am being convinced, more so by your wikipedia article and by what you are saying, that Islam is a religion being persecuted, disregarding the Christians in Muslim majority countries being forced out from their homes, or having their churches (fire) bombed.

Lol how? How does speaking about one type of persecution disregard other kinds?

Because the persecution of Muslims because of "islamaphobia". Because the "ebil west" is being mean to the poor Muslim immigrants. And some how mainstream media manages to turn a blind eye to the Christians in Muslim majority countries being killed.

• INTP
  • All American Patriotic Constitutionalist/Classic libertarian (with fiscal conservatism)
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

I support Capitalism do you? If so, put this in your sig.

XY = Male, XX = Female

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:08 pm

Torrocca wrote:
Luminesa wrote:...Fam, would you like some hot chocolate? Or maybe some tea? You might need to take a few chill pills. :/

I'll take a break. This is getting to me.

It happens to everyone fam. Again, nice hot cup of tea works for anxiety and frustration.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Seangoli
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:10 pm

Germanic Templars wrote:
Because the persecution of Muslims because of "islamaphobia". Because the "ebil west" is being mean to the poor Muslim immigrants. And some how mainstream media manages to turn a blind eye to the Christians in Muslim majority countries being killed.

Here's a novel thought:

We talk about the issue in our damn country because they are problems arising in our damn country, and we talk less about what's going on in other countries because they are other countries.

It's fucking shocking, I know.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:13 pm

Germanic Templars wrote:You know why those have become more frequent?

You're trying to back me in a corner, are you.
Because some people have this ridiculous need to be prejudiced to a whole community because of what a few people do.
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Germanic Templars wrote:What I am being convinced, more so by your wikipedia article and by what you are saying, that Islam is a religion being persecuted, disregarding the Christians in Muslim majority countries being forced out from their homes, or having their churches (fire) bombed.

Lol how? How does speaking about one type of persecution disregard other kinds?

Germanic Templars wrote:Because the persecution of Muslims because of "islamaphobia". Because the "ebil west" is being mean to the poor Muslim immigrants.

Well... :unsure:
Germanic Templars wrote:And some how mainstream media manages to turn a blind eye to the Christians in Muslim majority countries being killed.

You must've not watched TV then. CNN had a whole report about Yazidis being flown out by helicopter from ISIS held territory.
Also, you didn't really answer my question:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:How does speaking about one type of persecution disregard other kinds?
Last edited by El-Amin Caliphate on Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:17 pm

Seangoli wrote:
Germanic Templars wrote:

Here's a novel thought:

We talk about the issue in our damn country because they are problems arising in our damn country, and we talk less about what's going on in other countries because they are other countries.

And abandon our fellows to persecution at the hands of our enemies? What if the victims were your countrymen? Ignoring issues in other countries is easier said than done, especially if you're the foremost superpower.
Previous Profile: Minzerland
Donkey Advocate & Herald of Donkeydom
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

Seangoli
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:21 pm

Minzerland II wrote:
Seangoli wrote:
Here's a novel thought:

And abandon our fellows to persecution at the hands of our enemies? What if the victims were your countrymen? Ignoring issues in other countries is easier said than done, especially if you're the foremost superpower.

So, you do realize that there are muslim militias that are currently fighting to protect said christians from ISIS, correct? That the world of geopolitics is more complicated than "Muslims are killing ze christians cuz they are christians, and muslims are ebil!"

That said, I was speaking only to why one hears more of islamophobia in the west than persecution of Christians in the east. Simply put, the vast majority of any and all news is centered around one's own country, which is somehow shocking to some. It's the same damn reason you don't hear much about local issues in any of the European countries if you are from the US, or know anything about the policies of Japan if you are from France.

I also don't accept the argument that "These people do it worse" as a justifying reason for us to allow shitty things to occur in our country. Sure, Christians have it worse in the middle east than Muslims have it in the US. That doesn't mean that treating Muslims like shit because they are Muslims is somehow acceptable, so long as we aren't as bad as them. It's bullshittery at its finest.
Last edited by Seangoli on Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:31 pm

Minzerland II wrote:And abandon our fellows to persecution at the hands of our enemies?

Who is "our fellows" and who is "our enemies"?
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Seangoli
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:41 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:And abandon our fellows to persecution at the hands of our enemies?

Who is "our fellows" and who is "our enemies"?

You know what, I'm just going to preemptively give a retort to them with this:

http://www.indiatimes.com/news/world/in ... 64584.html

Edit: Even Hezbollah has been training Christians and working with them to fight ISIS

http://www.christianpost.com/news/they- ... on-138975/
Last edited by Seangoli on Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:44 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Germanic Templars wrote:You know why those have become more frequent?

You're trying to back me in a corner, are you.
Because some people have this ridiculous need to be prejudiced to a whole community because of what a few people do.
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Lol how? How does speaking about one type of persecution disregard other kinds?

Germanic Templars wrote:Because the persecution of Muslims because of "islamaphobia". Because the "ebil west" is being mean to the poor Muslim immigrants.

Well... :unsure:
Germanic Templars wrote:And some how mainstream media manages to turn a blind eye to the Christians in Muslim majority countries being killed.

You must've not watched TV then. CNN had a whole report about Yazidis being flown out by helicopter from ISIS held territory.
Also, you didn't really answer my question:

Of course I don't watch TV, it's boring and I dont own one.

Thus enter a laptop. And Yazidis.. That's it? What about the Coptics in Egypt? Or the Christians in Nigeria?

Boko Harem has been killing Christians in Nigeria, and plan to kill them all.
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:How does speaking about one type of persecution disregard other kinds?

Dunno, you tell me.

• INTP
  • All American Patriotic Constitutionalist/Classic libertarian (with fiscal conservatism)
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

I support Capitalism do you? If so, put this in your sig.

XY = Male, XX = Female

Minzerland II
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Minzerland II » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:47 pm

Seangoli wrote:
Minzerland II wrote:And abandon our fellows to persecution at the hands of our enemies? What if the victims were your countrymen? Ignoring issues in other countries is easier said than done, especially if you're the foremost superpower.

So, you do realize that there are muslim militias that are currently fighting to protect said christians from ISIS, correct? That the world of geopolitics is more complicated than "Muslims are killing ze christians cuz they are christians, and muslims are ebil!"

So, why not lend them our aid and assistance?
That said, I was speaking only to why one hears more of islamophobia in the west than persecution of Christians in the east. Simply put, the vast majority of any and all news is centered around one's own country, which is somehow shocking to some. It's the same damn reason you don't hear much about local issues in any of the European countries if you are from the US, or know anything about the policies of Japan if you from France.

In Australia, although news is centred primarily on Australia, as you rightly assert, the media has a certain proclivity for reporting on issues around the world that are unrelated to Australia: a certain proclivity to cherry pick Trumps 'Muslim Ban' but to ignore the persecution of Christians and other minorities in Muslim countries.
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:

Who is "our fellows"

Christians, Muslims, soldiers of my country and its allies, innocents, etc.
and who is "our enemies"?

ISIS and their allies.
Previous Profile: Minzerland
Donkey Advocate & Herald of Donkeydom
St Anselm of Canterbury wrote:[…]who ever heard of anything having two mothers or two fathers? (Monologion, pg. 63)

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:55 pm

I am amazed this thread is still alive
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:58 pm

Germanic Templars wrote:Thus enter a laptop. And Yazidis.. That's it? What about the Coptics in Egypt? Or the Christians in Nigeria?

I've heard/read about what is happening in those countries and it's saddening.

Idk if your sources go against you, but cruxnow.com says "Nigeria's Boko Haram Islamic extremists have a new leader who is threatening to bomb churches and kill Christians while ending attacks on mosques and markets used by ordinary Muslims, representing a major shift in strategy for the Nigerian extremists who have killed more Muslims than Christians in attacks in mosques with suicide bombers and gunmen." Also, your wiki article shows that Boko Haram has attacked masajid too.
Germanic Templars wrote:Dunno, you tell me.

I can't, because I don't think I have to talk about every injustice ever when I speak about I kind.
Last edited by El-Amin Caliphate on Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS

Seangoli
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:00 pm

Minzerland II wrote:So, why not lend them our aid and assistance?

The fundemental problem is that the regional politics of the Middle East are often simplified and boiled down, to the point where people don't even realize that there are active unified efforts from most major Muslims countries working to quell ISIS. Simply put, by painting it as Christians being persecuted by Muslims, you are white-washing the situation and ignoring the fact that many Muslim groups, even historic conservative and hard lined groups, are aligning themselves with Christians and other minorities to fight ISIS.

Simply put, the situation with ISIS and other countries is vastly more complicated than "Christians are being persecuted!" It ignores the active efforts by the local and regional communities that are trying to protect said groups, including risking their own lives. The rhetoric makes enemies out of people that are actively fighting our enemies, and that carries weight.

In Australia, although news is centred primarily on Australia, as you rightly assert, the media has a certain proclivity for reporting on issues around the world that are unrelated to Australia: a certain proclivity to cherry pick Trumps 'Muslim Ban' but to ignore the persecution of Christians and other minorities in Muslim countries.

I will say that I find it somewhat ironic that Australians would get in a tiffy over Trump's Muslim travel ban, given that Australia from my understanding has some of the strictest travel and immigration laws in the "west", if you will. Still, the politics of the US are just at the forefront of the world more often than Nigeria, Afghanistan, or other such minor nations. One is a leading world power and forefront to politics in the West, and the others are simply not. As far as the US is concerned, however, I just never find the argument "Well, they do it worse over there" as a good reason to allow us to do shitty things, under the premise that we aren't as bad.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:00 pm

Corrian wrote:I am amazed this thread is still alive

I know right.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:08 pm

Seangoli wrote:I will say that I find it somewhat ironic that Australians would get in a tiffy over Trump's Muslim travel ban, given that Australia from my understanding has some of the strictest travel and immigration laws in the "west", if you will. [...]

Well, it needs to be said, we don't ban Muslims from coming to Australia; we simply, as you said, "have some of the strictest travel and immigration laws in the 'west'" — that's not really ironic. Also, as far as I know, or have heard, the "Muslim ban" wasn't banning Muslims; merely those from certain countries (that being said, you could say that the intention was a Muslim ban).

Empire of Cats
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Cats » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:52 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

I know right.

I wasn't expecting this much interest when I started it.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Empire of Cats wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
I know right.

I was expecting this to only hit around 20-50 pages.

Mattopilos II
Minister

Founded: Feb 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Mattopilos II » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:36 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Empire of Cats wrote:

I was expecting this to only hit around 20-50 pages.

We are talking about groups that a prominent not only in the streets but also very large on the internet. Also, politics.
Anarchist without adjectives, Post-Leftist, Anti-theist, STEM major.
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.” - Max Stirner
“The victory of a moral ideal is achieved by the same ‘immoral’ means as every victory: force, lies, slander, injustice.” - Nietzsche
“Our duties - are the rights of others over us.” - Nietzsche

Blasted Craigs
Ambassador

Founded: May 31, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Blasted Craigs » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:00 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

I know right.

It will live as the horcrux for it exists.
When the horcrux threads tied to it dies, so will it.
The government in America can best be described with an analogy. The two political parties are two cats, the elite is a rat, power is the cheese, and the common people is the floor. The floor feels two cats can guard the cheese better than one. But the cats fight each other, and the rat makes off with the cheese in glee. The floor cannot leave, and soon both cats serve the rat, because the rat has the all powerful cheese, and gives the cats a small bit of it. So the floor gets crapped on by all three, as they eat the cheese together.

Republican Corentia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Republican Corentia » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:09 pm

Reminder there are socialists fighting islamofascists in the Middle East right now. What is the right-wing "traditionalist" or ""identitarian"" movement doing to save people from the brutality of essentially U.S.-fueled Islamic terror groups? Nothing.

Seangoli
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:25 pm

Republican Corentia wrote:Reminder there are socialists fighting islamofascists in the Middle East right now. What is the right-wing "traditionalist" or ""identitarian"" movement doing to save people from the brutality of essentially U.S.-fueled Islamic terror groups? Nothing.

Fuck, there are Muslims fighting ISIS right now.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:32 pm

Mattopilos II wrote:We are talking about groups that a prominent not only in the streets but also very large on the internet. Also, politics.

So? There have been other topics on the manner, yet I haven't seen any get to 200.

Mattopilos II
Minister

Founded: Feb 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Mattopilos II » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:50 am

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Mattopilos II wrote:We are talking about groups that a prominent not only in the streets but also very large on the internet. Also, politics.

So? There have been other topics on the manner, yet I haven't seen any get to 200.

It was a large event, and politics is being polarized by the day. I honestly don't get the huge surprise from it.
Anarchist without adjectives, Post-Leftist, Anti-theist, STEM major.
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.” - Max Stirner
“The victory of a moral ideal is achieved by the same ‘immoral’ means as every victory: force, lies, slander, injustice.” - Nietzsche
“Our duties - are the rights of others over us.” - Nietzsche

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:37 am

Republican Corentia wrote:Reminder there are socialists fighting islamofascists in the Middle East right now. What is the right-wing "traditionalist" or ""identitarian"" movement doing to save people from the brutality of essentially U.S.-fueled Islamic terror groups? Nothing.

That's pretty much my go-to when people moan about the refugees all being "fighting age males" (without providing data to support that) - "If it's so easy to fight, why aren't you over there doing it too?"
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:57 am

In any case I think we've found a better weapon for dealing with the Neo-Nazi rallies.

Vuvuzelas.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General