NATION

PASSWORD

Son of The Bride of the MEGA Health Care Thread (Of DOOM!)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you want the bill to pass?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:24 am

Yes, I do!
42%
Kind of...
11%
Neutral
7%
No, not really
7%
NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!
34%

Total votes : 271

Our L Lawliet
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Our L Lawliet » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:59 pm

How much longer til the voting?

Takaram
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:00 pm

Our L Lawliet wrote:How much longer til the voting?

Half hour by C-SPAN's estimation.

Helertia
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Helertia » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:00 pm

You go girl!
Do hypocrites hate hypocrisy?

Traceynia
Envoy

Founded: Oct 30, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Traceynia » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:01 pm

I am extremely pleased with Gwen Moore for lambasting republican nonsense.

Chazaka
Envoy

Founded: Aug 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Chazaka » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:01 pm

Go Moore!

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:02 pm

Have I missed the Boehner's speech yet?
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Maxen von Bismarck
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Maxen von Bismarck » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:03 pm

Free Soviets wrote:
Maxen von Bismarck wrote:Would you kindly list the relevant page numbers? I have a digital copy I'd like to put to good use.

there are lots. here, have a CBO report:
http://www.cbo.gov/doc.cfm?index=11355

I love the CBO. So young, so filled with hope. But that's beside the point.

Reading the bill is hard to do, isn't it? Well, I can't expect everyone who supports the bill to have the patience.

http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/113xx/doc113 ... hr4872.pdf

I found that interesting.
Retired Nation. :)

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:04 pm

Free Soviets wrote:
Maxen von Bismarck wrote:Would you kindly list the relevant page numbers? I have a digital copy I'd like to put to good use.

there are lots. here, have a CBO report:
http://www.cbo.gov/doc.cfm?index=11355

I stand corrected.

Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:05 pm

Vesser wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
Hassett wrote:There are about 50 million Americans without health insurance now, if this bill passes, they will immediately get government funded insurance and who's going to pay for that? The middle and upper classes. Also, where are the extra doctors to treat these newly insured people? Answer: There are none, 50 million more patients and not a single additional doctor

Immediately? No, sometime after the year after next year. Almost nothing in the bill goes into effect immediately. And the number is around 30 million, not 50 million. Interesting how the opponents of the bill lower and raise that number to suit the argument they're trying to make. And do you actually think all those uninsured people need medical attention right this minute? Or that no new doctors are being graduated in this country? Please, at least be creative in the lies you make up.

Aren't doctors retiring, too?

And, even if not all 30-50 million people get sick right now, don't you think there will be a substantial increase of sick people, with no new doctors to treat it?

I mean, if 5% of people get sick every year, that is at least 1.5 million new people.

:? Okay, now, think this through with me. There are 30 million uninsured people (we'll take the low number just as an example). If I understand you, they do not put a strain on the health care system because, not having insurance, they simply suffer in silence and, perhaps, pray that they will get better. They never go to an emergency room or a free clinic or any other source of health care. But now, once this bill passes, as many as 5% of them will get sick - may get sick - and instead of that noble, stoic, silent suffering, they will rush instantly to their doctors' offices. Doesn't that seem odd?

This is like the global warming denial game, where the person playing the denier falls back on successive lines of defense until everyone just laughs, has a drink and starts a new game. I haven't seen the "ZOMG, WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH DOCTORS, WE CAN'T PASS THIS BILL!" defense before, I have to admit.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:07 pm

Get to the fireworks factory already!

Maxen von Bismarck
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Maxen von Bismarck » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Vesser wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
Hassett wrote:There are about 50 million Americans without health insurance now, if this bill passes, they will immediately get government funded insurance and who's going to pay for that? The middle and upper classes. Also, where are the extra doctors to treat these newly insured people? Answer: There are none, 50 million more patients and not a single additional doctor

Immediately? No, sometime after the year after next year. Almost nothing in the bill goes into effect immediately. And the number is around 30 million, not 50 million. Interesting how the opponents of the bill lower and raise that number to suit the argument they're trying to make. And do you actually think all those uninsured people need medical attention right this minute? Or that no new doctors are being graduated in this country? Please, at least be creative in the lies you make up.

And, even if not all 30-50 million people get sick right now, don't you think there will be a substantial increase of sick people, with no new doctors to treat it?

I mean, if 5% of people get sick every year, that is at least 1.5 million new people.

:? Okay, now, think this through with me. There are 30 million uninsured people (we'll take the low number just as an example). If I understand you, they do not put a strain on the health care system because, not having insurance, they simply suffer in silence and, perhaps, pray that they will get better. They never go to an emergency room or a free clinic or any other source of health care. But now, once this bill passes, as many as 5% of them will get sick - may get sick - and instead of that noble, stoic, silent suffering, they will rush instantly to their doctors' offices. Doesn't that seem odd?

This is like the global warming denial game, where the person playing the denier falls back on successive lines of defense until everyone just laughs, has a drink and starts a new game. I haven't seen the "ZOMG, WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH DOCTORS, WE CAN'T PASS THIS BILL!" defense before, I have to admit.

I think the point is people will more likely undertake excessive amounts of checking and re-checking. I (as I explained above) will likely put more strain on the healthcare "system" in one day (not to mention day 2 and 3) than my whole family does in a year. It's just basic economics. If prices are low, more will be demanded.

Takaram
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:11 pm

How old is the info Ryan is using from the CBO?

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:12 pm

Paul Ryan is probably the youngest member there!

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:12 pm

Ofcourse how could I forget that this bill is not about covering people and lowering prices. Its about secretly stealing everyone's freedom and instituting communism. Oh Paul Ryan. :roll:
Last edited by United Dependencies on Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Takaram
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:13 pm

United Dependencies wrote:Ofcourse how could I forget that this bill is not about covering people and lowering prices. Its about secretly stealing everyone's freedom and instituting communism.

Yeah, didn't you read that portion of the bill? It's in the secret hidden text on the back.

EDIT: And now he'd insulting Europe. :roll:
Last edited by Takaram on Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chazaka
Envoy

Founded: Aug 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Chazaka » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:13 pm

Our founders had slavery, no voting for women or free blacks and the average bloke died in their forties. Hardly something I want to go back to.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:13 pm

Takaram wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:Ofcourse how could I forget that this bill is not about covering people and lowering prices. Its about secretly stealing everyone's freedom and instituting communism.

Yeah, didn't you read that portion of the bill? It's in the secret hidden text on the back.

Oh and I also forgot that Europe's nhs will turn it into a wasteland. How foolish of me.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:13 pm

Maxen von Bismarck wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:
Vesser wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:

I think the point is people will more likely undertake excessive amounts of checking and re-checking. I (as I explained above) will likely put more strain on the healthcare "system" in one day (not to mention day 2 and 3) than my whole family does in a year. It's just basic economics. If prices are low, more will be demanded.

Well, I don't see it. They can get free health care just by going to the emergency room, where they will be, like stories in the National Enquirer, checked, re-checked and checked again. The difference being, of course, that those visits tend to raise the cost of health care and of insurance for those that have insurance, whereas the new plan won't.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Helertia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Helertia » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:13 pm

European Healthcare is unsustainable? 52 years and counting. Suck it.

Takaram
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:14 pm

And there they are talking about Scott Brown again. Jesus, they don't let anything go.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:15 pm

paul ryan's 'ideas that made this country great' mainly involve letting old people die without healthcare

Maxen von Bismarck
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Maxen von Bismarck » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:15 pm

Takaram wrote:How old is the info Ryan is using from the CBO?

Today's. Check one of the threads, Soviet Party (or whomever) linked it.
Last edited by Maxen von Bismarck on Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Canada Provinces
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Canada Provinces » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:15 pm

Has there been any decision or vote on the bill yet?

Helertia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Helertia » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:15 pm

Canada Provinces wrote:Has there been any decision or vote on the bill yet?

not yet. Expecting one at 9:30 EST

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:16 pm

United Dependencies wrote:
Takaram wrote:

Oh and I also forgot that Europe's nhs will turn it into a wasteland. How foolish of me.

I thought the European NHs already had turned the place into a desert. That explains why so many Muslims are moving there, because it's a desert, see, and Islam originated in Arabian, which is also a desert.

And if you read the bill backwards, it says something about a walrus and two guys named John and Paul. :blink:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General