NATION

PASSWORD

Trump MAGAthread VII

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:14 pm

Damverland wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Doesn't help me that I find "the bantz" and a slew of other dank memes to be the lowest possible form of comedy, and generally really fucking annoying.

You sound like a lot of fun at parties.

At one point in my life I found peek-a-boo fucking hilarious. Giggled for hours until I literally pooped my pants.

These days? Not so much. I didn't become humorless, joy did not depart from my life. I still laugh hysterically, find joy daily. But as I've grown I do not find mundane things hilarious. If you repeat something over and over again it no longer merits the same response each time. I no longer think it's high comedy to immediately recite the same joke an adult just said and giggle like an idiot. My tastes have evolved. The have matured to a point where we no longer let children attend our parties because pretending that they said the word "fart" is comedy gold drags the party down.

So if I had to choose between the two of you, I'd party with him because he might make a joke I haven't heard and I won't have to smile and nod at the person at the little table saying "poopy" too loud.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Keldros wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:I'm waiting for his lawyers to take control of his twitter. Especially since the court ruled that his tweets are admissible as evidence

If President Obama had tweeted a gif of himself putting the figure 4 leglock on Fox News, I'd have laughed and grudgingly admired him for his willingness to bring the bantz.

I can't comprehend how humorless one must be to think this is some uniquely horrific degradation of the office of POTUS. Thomas Jefferson called John Adams a blind, bald, crippled, toothless man. John Adams called Hamilton the bastard brat of a Scotch peddler, etc.

When you've to retort to "just a joke bruh", you've told a bad and humorless 'joke' and should feel bad.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:35 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Geilinor wrote:To be honest, CNN kind of deserves the criticism when they keep bringing idiot Jeffrey Lord on.

I don't get their fascination with that simpleton.

They want Fox News old slogan, fair and balanced
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:39 pm

Herskerstad wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Anything

Call me a skeptic, but I suspect the fallout from this shitposting to be equivalent to the time he posted the can't stump the trump video

Unless at any point in the future he has to defend some decision regarding freedom of the press in court.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:51 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Keldros wrote:
If President Obama had tweeted a gif of himself putting the figure 4 leglock on Fox News, I'd have laughed and grudgingly admired him for his willingness to bring the bantz.

I can't comprehend how humorless one must be to think this is some uniquely horrific degradation of the office of POTUS. Thomas Jefferson called John Adams a blind, bald, crippled, toothless man. John Adams called Hamilton the bastard brat of a Scotch peddler, etc.

When you've to retort to "just a joke bruh", you've told a bad and humorless 'joke' and should feel bad.

If you have to explain the joke there is no joke.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:01 pm

Damverland wrote:Presidents have done dumber, gimmickier things than this. Look hard enough and you'll find some examples.

"This" being the Trump/CNN wrestling clip.

Damverland wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Since you're arguing that perhaps you can provide some.

I can't right now, on mobile.

How about now? Still on mobile?
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:07 pm

Vassenor wrote:If you have to explain the joke there is no joke.

A persons inability to understand a joke does not make said joke, not a joke.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:15 pm

Damverland wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:No not at all.

No, I'm quite sure liberals were the young punks and the conservatives were the old angry men. It's in their name, FFS.

Conservative doesn't mean humourless or bigoted or stick-up-the-ass. We have other terms to use when we want to say that.
Conservative is the respectful term, it's a name chosen by conservatives themselves, serious-minded ones like Goldwater.

And liberal. Some liberals apply the term to themselves (I do) but it's very much about social policy. Permissive, tolerant (yeah, there are contradictions, we're generally not tolerant of guns or discrimination), but it's NOT actually the opposite of conservative. There isn't an exact opposite, but "progressive" is closer than "liberal".

In what possible way does "liberal" mean fun-loving young punks? You say this is so obvious all one has to do is look at the names (names you picked btw), but I don't think even that is true. Such drivel from you today.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:28 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Vassenor wrote:If you have to explain the joke there is no joke.

If person A says something insulting that might be a joke, person B takes offense and says it's not, and person A then refuses to prove that it's a joke, then all person B needs to do is show how the statement was offensive. If person A wants to leave it there, they're leaving their statement as offensive but not a joke.

Proving something is a joke might sound impossible, but it's really not. Just tell the same joke again in slightly different words.
Proving something is offensive is also quite easy.
In this, whether a joke is funny enought to be called a joke, both sides have to give the other some slack. The best joke on Earth you couldn't strictly prove to be funny, and the worst insult I couldn't strictly prove to be offensive, both are subjective judgements so what's required here isn't a formal proof or an academic treatise on meaning. It's simply this: A tells joke, B says its not a joke, A tells joke again in different words. If B still insists it's not a joke, they're being unreasonable.

It's hard for me to understand why anyone who really did think their joke was funny, would refuse to tell the same joke again slightly differently. Did they not enjoy telling the joke the first time? Or ... well the obvious really ... they'd rather the other person be offended than to be amused.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:48 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Athrax wrote:
We tend to expect better than stupid ad hominem attacks from the most powerful man on earth. Trump's not attacking aome institution he has no actual power to affect, he's a powerful head of state who it would not be unimaginable for him to use his massive poitical power to actually degrade or even destroy CNN or harm its employees. Even his "harmless bantz" have a real effect

Indeed. People forget Reagan's joke about bombing the USSR actually put the Soviet Eastern forces on alert.

In fairness he didn't know they were still rolling.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:06 pm

[REDACTED]
Last edited by FelrikTheDeleted on Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:10 pm

AiliailiA wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

If person A says something insulting that might be a joke, person B takes offense and says it's not, and person A then refuses to prove that it's a joke, then all person B needs to do is show how the statement was offensive. If person A wants to leave it there, they're leaving their statement as offensive but not a joke.

Proving something is a joke might sound impossible, but it's really not. Just tell the same joke again in slightly different words.
In this, whether a joke is funny enought to be called a joke, both sides have to give the other some slack. The best joke on Earth you couldn't strictly prove to be funny, and the worst insult I couldn't strictly prove to be offensive, both are subjective judgements so what's required here isn't a formal proof or an academic treatise on meaning. It's simply this: A tells joke, B says its not a joke, A tells joke again in different words. If B still insists it's not a joke, they're being unreasonable.

It's hard for me to understand why anyone who really did think their joke was funny, would refuse to tell the same joke again slightly differently. Did they not enjoy telling the joke the first time? Or ... well the obvious really ... they'd rather the other person be offended than to be amused.

I'm going to submit that whether or not it was a joke is immaterial to whether it's offensive or not.

Certainly humor is subjective, as we've seen people still think the sounds of their own farts are funny. A racist thinks racist jokes are hilarious. They are joking AND being offensive. Sometimes the point of the joke is to be offensive. "To is a preposition cum is a verb" is funny in its time because Lenny Bruce was trying to offend the sensibilities of people who had sex but refused to talk about it.

Trumps tweet is both a joke and it is offensive. It is a joke about Trump "putting down" CNN. "Haha, CNN is my bitch just like this guy." But it is also offensive by design . It is meant to offend media and CNN specifically.

Trump has recently defended tweeting as modern presidential and followed that up with a joke about hitting the media. Modern Presidential is to attack a free and independent press. Something that has been a cornerstone to a free society for centuries. Beyond complaining about coverage, whining about biases, even further than calling them the nattering neighbobs of negativity, this is childish and by his own account 'modern presidential.' It is a joke. And it is offensive. Because it's an attack on a cornerstone of democracy, AND because it presumes I have the mentality of a nine year old to find it funny.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:17 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
AiliailiA wrote:

I'm going to submit that whether or not it was a joke is immaterial to whether it's offensive or not.

Certainly humor is subjective, as we've seen people still think the sounds of their own farts are funny. A racist thinks racist jokes are hilarious. They are joking AND being offensive. Sometimes the point of the joke is to be offensive. "To is a preposition cum is a verb" is funny in its time because Lenny Bruce was trying to offend the sensibilities of people who had sex but refused to talk about it.

Trumps tweet is both a joke and it is offensive. It is a joke about Trump "putting down" CNN. "Haha, CNN is my bitch just like this guy." But it is also offensive by design . It is meant to offend media and CNN specifically.

Trump has recently defended tweeting as modern presidential and followed that up with a joke about hitting the media. Modern Presidential is to attack a free and independent press. Something that has been a cornerstone to a free society for centuries. Beyond complaining about coverage, whining about biases, even further than calling them the nattering neighbobs of negativity, this is childish and by his own account 'modern presidential.' It is a joke. And it is offensive. Because it's an attack on a cornerstone of democracy, AND because it presumes I have the mentality of a nine year old to find it funny.

Non-racists can find racist jokes funny, too, you know.
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:19 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Sir I'm going to have to ask you to stop trying to move the goalposts, I don't hate yellow or brown people. I really do not hate anyone. Unfortunately at times loss of life is just an unfortunate event. It's a risk we have to take.

Any military leader or expert can tell you this simple truism.
When war is declared innocent civilians will die, that is and has always been the case throughout recorded human history.

If someone actually thinks that civilians dying AT ALL during wartime is a legitimate thing to criticize someone about then please put forward the doctrine or technology that would reduce all collateral damage to 0.00%.

Until someone does this then it's not valid criticism.

And this is directed at Merizoc btw.

Not fucking going to war

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:21 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:I'm going to submit that whether or not it was a joke is immaterial to whether it's offensive or not.

Non-racists can find racist jokes funny, too, you know.

Look, if you need to convince yourself of something I don't think you need to drag me into it.

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:21 pm

Proctopeo wrote:Non-racists can find racist jokes funny, too, you know.

Look, if you need to convince yourself of something I don't think you need to drag me into it.

I don't understand this response to a factual comment

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:25 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Look, if you need to convince yourself of something I don't think you need to drag me into it.

I don't understand this response to a factual comment

We're even then.

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:27 pm

Proctopeo wrote:I don't understand this response to a factual comment

We're even then.

To my credit, I used commas and my sentence was coherent.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:36 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:We're even then.

To my credit, I used commas and my sentence was coherent.

And we're all super proud of you and look forward to seeing that use of common punctuation and coherent sentences to be brought to bear on the topic at hand.

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:41 pm

Proctopeo wrote:To my credit, I used commas and my sentence was coherent.

And we're all super proud of you and look forward to seeing that use of common punctuation and coherent sentences to be brought to bear on the topic at hand.

Both are highly important, which is what made your sentence jarring and confusing.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:42 pm

Another point that shows Bush was a better President than Trump.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:43 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
So where were Iraq's weapons of mass destruction?

Getting false information and outright lying are two very different things.

I am pretty sure the people giving the false information to Bush knew that it was false. They doctored the summaries of the intel to make it look more credible than it really was. Bush may not have been in the loop and thus didn't realize he was lying. I'm pretty sure Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Wolfowitz knowingly lied or at least manipulated information to give a false pretext for invasion. The Bush Administration as a whole lied.
Last edited by Hittanryan on Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:01 pm

Genivaria wrote:Another point that shows Bush was a better President than Trump.

It's actually depressing that W is no longer the low watermark.

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:03 pm

Genivaria wrote:Another point that shows Bush was a better President than Trump.

It's actually depressing that W is no longer the low watermark.

I thought the low watermarks have been Buchanan and Johnson, not W. Bush.

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:04 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:It's actually depressing that W is no longer the low watermark.

I thought the low watermarks have been Buchanan and Johnson, not W. Bush.

Buchanan did nothing wrong :p
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General