NATION

PASSWORD

Trump MAGAthread VII

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:26 am

The East Marches II wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:No not at all.

Rule of Cool always wins.

I thought you disliked hippies, TEM? :p
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:27 am

Geilinor wrote:
The East Marches II wrote:
Rule of Cool always wins.

I thought you disliked hippies, TEM? :p

I do no doubt but even I have to bow to reality :'(

Damverland
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Damverland » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:30 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Damverland wrote:It's bizzare, isn't it? A decade and a half ago it was the other way around.

No not at all.

No, I'm quite sure liberals were the young punks and the conservatives were the old angry men. It's in their name, FFS.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:33 am

Damverland wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:No not at all.

No, I'm quite sure liberals were the young punks and the conservatives were the old angry men. It's in their name, FFS.

In sure the hippies where the punks not so much the liberals. Liberals really where not super radical people for many many years. JFK and LBJ where both liberals and neither of them where punks.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:43 am

Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:43 am

Damverland wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:https://forum.nationstates.net/search.php?search_id=egosearch
Hes the president of the United States not some edgy teen. There's a certain amount of respect one has to have for the office. And by tweeting like this Trump has shown that he doesn't have the respect for the office

Presidents have done dumber, gimmickier things than this. Look hard enough and you'll find some examples.

I genuinely can't think of a single one (that wasn't also from Trump).

I also can't think of another president that's made such a ridiculously anti-freedom of the press "statement".
Last edited by Salandriagado on Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:48 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Damverland wrote:Yeah I don't see what's bad about it. I think people only hate it because Trump tweeted it. If he wants to shitpost a little, let him do it.

Hes the president of the United States not some edgy teen. There's a certain amount of respect one has to have for the office. And by tweeting like this Trump has shown that he doesn't have the respect for the office

This "respect for the office" bullshit needs to die. Presidents have done horrible things from the oval office. The idea that it's sacred in any way is ridiculous; the notion that shitposting is worse than clandestine wars and assassinations even more so.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:49 am

Keldros wrote:The Right is full of fun loving, hell raising rebels laughing their way to victory, and the Left is a bunch of uptight squares spluttering outrage about how the young punks have no respect for decorum and tradition. Best possible timeline.

Are you sure we're living in the same universe? Because all I see is an old white guy constantly whining about how he's not being showered with adoration from every corner.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:50 am

MERIZoC wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Hes the president of the United States not some edgy teen. There's a certain amount of respect one has to have for the office. And by tweeting like this Trump has shown that he doesn't have the respect for the office

This "respect for the office" bullshit needs to die. Presidents have done horrible things from the oval office. The idea that it's sacred in any way is ridiculous; the notion that shitposting is worse than clandestine wars and assassinations even more so.

Because we could imagine Roosevelt throwing a tantrum about whoever butthurt him on a Fireside Chat.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:53 am

MERIZoC wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Hes the president of the United States not some edgy teen. There's a certain amount of respect one has to have for the office. And by tweeting like this Trump has shown that he doesn't have the respect for the office

No it doesn't need to die. It's a sacred office even though a few idiots fucked it up, Clinton, Trump I'm looking at you.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:55 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Damverland wrote:Presidents have done dumber, gimmickier things than this. Look hard enough and you'll find some examples.

I also can't think of another president that's made such a ridiculously anti-freedom of the press "statement".

John Adams passed the Alien and Sedition acts, which criminalized speech against the government. Woodrow Wilson passed the Espionage Act (and later the Sedition Act of 1918) which banned speech critical of the government or war effort. Obama used that same espionage act to jail whistleblowers and go after journalists.

If you think this is the most "anti freedom of the press" sentiment from a president ever, you have a terrible understanding of history.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:56 am

MERIZoC wrote:

The fact that other presidents have done bad things doesn't excuse our current one.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:59 am

MERIZoC wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

John Adams passed the Alien and Sedition acts, which criminalized speech against the government. Woodrow Wilson passed the Espionage Act (and later the Sedition Act of 1918) which banned speech critical of the government or war effort. Obama used that same espionage act to jail whistleblowers and go after journalists.

If you think this is the most "anti freedom of the press" sentiment from a president ever, you have a terrible understanding of history.

Alien and Sedition acts was found unconstitutional. Wilson was in the middle of a war, and whistleblowers should be punished, especially if they are leaking information about our security apparatuses
Last edited by Thermodolia on Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:03 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:This "respect for the office" bullshit needs to die. Presidents have done horrible things from the oval office. The idea that it's sacred in any way is ridiculous; the notion that shitposting is worse than clandestine wars and assassinations even more so.

No it doesn't need to die. It's a sacred office even though a few idiots fucked it up, Clinton, Trump I'm looking at you.

"a few"

Bush lied to start a war that killed hundreds of thousands, Clinton bombed a medicine factory to distract from his affair, Reagan was mentally diseased and illegally funded death squads, Nixon destroyed Cambodia in secret, and along with JFK and LBJ, conducted a war in Vietnam that killed millions. FDR put Japanese-americans in internment camps, Wilson as I mentioned previously cracked down on free speech. That's just a handful of the many examples from only the last century. The list goes on and on. Adams, Jackson, Polk, Buchanan, Mckinley, and many more also did horrible things. Fuck respect. The office and the people that have occupied it deserve only scorn.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:05 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:John Adams passed the Alien and Sedition acts, which criminalized speech against the government. Woodrow Wilson passed the Espionage Act (and later the Sedition Act of 1918) which banned speech critical of the government or war effort. Obama used that same espionage act to jail whistleblowers and go after journalists.

Alien and Sedition acts was found unconstitutional. Wilson was in the middle of a war, and whistleblowers should be punished, especially if they are leaking information about our security apparatuses

The supreme court overturning them doesn't change the fact that Adams was very anti democratic. We are also in the middle of a war right now, and your revenge fantasies don't change the fact that prosecuting them is anti-press.

Ism
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ism » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:06 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Alien and Sedition acts was found unconstitutional. Wilson was in the middle of a war, and whistleblowers should be punished, especially if they are leaking information about our security apparatuses

The supreme court overturning them doesn't change the fact that Adams was very anti democratic. We are also in the middle of a war right now, and your revenge fantasies don't change the fact that prosecuting them is anti-press.

I must have missed the declaration then.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:06 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Alien and Sedition acts was found unconstitutional. Wilson was in the middle of a war, and whistleblowers should be punished, especially if they are leaking information about our security apparatuses

Prosecuting the press would be anti-press. Leakers are not the media.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:08 pm

Geilinor wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:The supreme court overturning them doesn't change the fact that Adams was very anti democratic. We are also in the middle of a war right now, and your revenge fantasies don't change the fact that prosecuting them is anti-press.

Prosecuting the press would be anti-press. Leakers are not the media.

When you go after sources you are impeding the ability of a free press to do its job.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:19 pm

MERIZoC wrote:

Classic Chapo Trap House contrarianism - better not be seen to be agreeing with those evil liberals that Trump did something unambiguously stupid, embarrassing and literally furthering the alt right's "meme war" to promote alternative facts over.. you know.. actual reality, so better bring up irrelevant whataboutism about past presidents as if that means we can only take a total nihilistic approach about what is and isn't actually acceptable behaviour for a statesman.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:21 pm

Hydesland wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:This "respect for the office" bullshit needs to die. Presidents have done horrible things from the oval office. The idea that it's sacred in any way is ridiculous; the notion that shitposting is worse than clandestine wars and assassinations even more so.

Classic Chapo Trap House contrarianism - better not be seen to be agreeing with those evil liberals that Trump did something unambiguously stupid, embarrassing and literally furthering the alt right's "meme war" to promote alternative facts over.. you know.. actual reality, so better bring up irrelevant whataboutism about past presidents as if that means we can only take a total nihilistic approach about what is and isn't actually acceptable behaviour for a statesman.

It is stupid. Of course it is. That's why its hilarious. But I'd rather have him doing this than "being a statesman" so he can figure out what country to bomb next or how to gut access to abortion.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:24 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:No it doesn't need to die. It's a sacred office even though a few idiots fucked it up, Clinton, Trump I'm looking at you.

"a few"

1) Bush lied to start a war that killed hundreds of thousands, 2) Clinton bombed a medicine factory to distract from his affair, 3) Reagan was mentally diseased and illegally funded death squads, 4) Nixon destroyed Cambodia in secret, and along with JFK and LBJ, 5) conducted a war in Vietnam that killed millions. 6) FDR put Japanese-americans in internment camps, 7) Wilson as I mentioned previously cracked down on free speech. That's just a handful of the many examples from only the last century. The list goes on and on. Adams, Jackson, Polk, Buchanan, Mckinley, and many more also did horrible things. Fuck respect. The office and the people that have occupied it deserve only scorn.

1) Bush didn't lie
2) That was an accident,
3) No he wasn't and communism needed to be contained,
4) I don't care
5) We shouldn't have left when we did.
6) FDR was an ass.
7) Wilson was also an ass.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:27 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:"a few"

1) Bush lied to start a war that killed hundreds of thousands, 2) Clinton bombed a medicine factory to distract from his affair, 3) Reagan was mentally diseased and illegally funded death squads, 4) Nixon destroyed Cambodia in secret, and along with JFK and LBJ, 5) conducted a war in Vietnam that killed millions. 6) FDR put Japanese-americans in internment camps, 7) Wilson as I mentioned previously cracked down on free speech. That's just a handful of the many examples from only the last century. The list goes on and on. Adams, Jackson, Polk, Buchanan, Mckinley, and many more also did horrible things. Fuck respect. The office and the people that have occupied it deserve only scorn.

1) Bush didn't lie
2) That was an accident,
4) I don't care
6) FDR was an ass.

So where were Iraq's weapons of mass destruction?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:30 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:1) Bush didn't lie
2) That was an accident,
4) I don't care
6) FDR was an ass.

So where were Iraq's weapons of mass destruction?

Getting false information and outright lying are two very different things.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:30 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:"a few"

1) Bush didn't lie
2) That was an accident,
4) I don't care
6) FDR was an ass.

Then why are you even talking with me when I'm coming from a position of respecting human life and you just hate yellow and brown people? If you fundamentally like murderous regimes then there's clearly no point in this conversation.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:32 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:1) Bush didn't lie
2) That was an accident,
4) I don't care
6) FDR was an ass.

Then why are you even talking with me when I'm coming from a position of respecting human life and you just hate yellow and brown people? If you fundamentally like murderous regimes then there's clearly no point in this conversation.

Sir I'm going to have to ask you to stop trying to move the goalposts, I don't hate yellow or brown people. I really do not hate anyone. Unfortunately at times loss of life is just an unfortunate event. It's a risk we have to take.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General