NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion][REVISED POLL] If you had the power...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

If you had the power to address the controversy over abortion rights, how would you do it?

1. Leave as is
5%
2. Illegal across the board
8%
3. Illegal with exceptions
15%
4. Enact measures to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies / the burden of pregnancy and parenthood, but not make it illegal because emergencies happen
37%
5. Enact measures to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies / the burden of pregnancy and parenthood, AND make it illegal across the board
4%
6. Enact measures to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies / the burden of pregnancy and parenthood, AND make it illegal with exceptions
14%
7. Reduce/remove any existing restrictions on abortion and cut entitlements
11%
8. Institute compulsory population control measures
5%

Total votes : 1960

UED
Senator

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby UED » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:21 pm

Keshiland wrote:
Genivaria wrote:I love how he uses "this is not Texas" as an argument while supporting the same bullshit that made the situation in Texas even possible.

All the states east of the mountains are freaking tiny. So the undu berdon does not hold weight.

Gr8 argument m8, r8 8/8

Seriously though this argument has no merit.
Political and religious views don't define whether you are a good or bad person, unless you want to actively hurt everyone who doesn't believe what you say.

The Grande Republic 0f Arcadia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grande Republic 0f Arcadia » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:22 pm

Keshiland wrote:
Community Values wrote:Eww having a state that supports things which the other 50% of the state thinks is murder. And why not?

It should be out right illegal unless the person was raped or their life is at risk with the pregnancy. Privatising it would be disastrous on so many levels.

While I do agree with your point, it would only work in a perfect world but people would cheat the system you put up, while if no one would cheat the system I would agree too many people would, so thats why I have to go with the choice option now.
Proud Member of theINTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=422664

Been on NS since 2014
Right Leaning Centrist Kinda Libertarian Kinda Republican Take Your Pick

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:25 pm

Here's hoping that Hic state government loses and hard, Abortion should be easily accessed and available for any who needs it, or, universal healthcare and a full funded and screened network of foster parents and also abortion easy to get and safe
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:29 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Keshiland wrote:
We are not saying kids are punishments. We are saying if you don't want to have them then don't have sex. There are other ways to get your sexual pleasure with out sowing your seeds to someone else.

If you don't want to be raped don't dress like a slut.
This is what you sound like.

You're building a strawman, Gen. He's clearly talking about consensual sex.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:30 pm

New haven america wrote:Protection doesn't always work and you shouldn't be punished for having consenting sex.

I love how a lot of pro-lifers think that having kids should be used as a punishment. Yeah, because that's gonna help your case.

I don't think any Pro-Lifer actually believes that.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:31 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Genivaria wrote:If you don't want to be raped don't dress like a slut.
This is what you sound like.

That's not a strawman that's an analogy.
Action A does not = Consent to Action D.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:32 pm

Vassenor wrote:So to all the people saying that abortion should be illegal: Are you all willing to fund the welfare programs that said parent may require after birth?

Yes. And to the children should the parents give them up.

I'm fully in support of policies that help parents, single parents, and children.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:32 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
New haven america wrote:Protection doesn't always work and you shouldn't be punished for having consenting sex.

I love how a lot of pro-lifers think that having kids should be used as a punishment. Yeah, because that's gonna help your case.

A lot of them do, actually. Source: Grew up around a lot of Evangelicals.

Tell me, have you ever heard the phrase: "You shouldn't have had sex to begin with, you knew what the consequences would be and you only have yourself to blame"?
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

That's not a strawman that's an analogy.

He was talking about consensual sex and you moved the goalposts to rape, which he didn't mention at all.

That's a little disingenuous.

Keshiland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Genivaria wrote:That's not a strawman that's an analogy.

He was talking about consensual sex and you moved the goalposts to rape, which he didn't mention at all.

DUCKING THANK YOU!
OOC- I am a Prolife Liberal who is Anti Gun, Pro Immigration, Pro UHC, Pro financial aid, and anything that makes children's lives better. I am also eco-friendly.

IC- The Federation of Keshiland stands for freedom and local governance. Requirements for state hood. A territory atleast 1,000 KL and a population of atleast 100k. Our Constitution keeps us free and can only be changed with a 3/4ths ratification of the states.

State count 135

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:34 pm

New haven america wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

A lot of them do, actually. Source: Grew up around a lot of Evangelicals.

Tell me, have you ever heard the phrase: "You shouldn't have had sex to begin with, you knew what the consequences would be and you only have yourself to blame"?

I suppose I have. Regardless, that's not what I believe or what most serious Pro-Life advocates I know believe.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:35 pm

Salus Maior wrote:

It's not disingenuous at all.
It's what his logic looks like.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:35 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
New haven america wrote:A lot of them do, actually. Source: Grew up around a lot of Evangelicals.

I suppose I have. Regardless, that's not what I believe or what most serious Pro-Life advocates I know believe.

Well, that's what most pro-lifers I know spout.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:36 pm

Salus Maior wrote:

I'm with Gen on this one, Keshi's logic is very toxic.
Last edited by New haven america on Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:39 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

It's not disingenuous at all.

Logic: If you don't want babies, best way to not have them is to not have sex = Don't dress like a slut if you don't want to get raped.

I don't see the connection outside of making a more convenient argument for yourself in a disingenuous way. He didn't make any remarks on women, or rape culture at all, he made the actually true statement for both men and women that sex can lead to pregnancy. Dress or rape culture is irrelevant to that statement.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:41 pm

New haven america wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

I'm with Gen on this one, Keshi's logic is very toxic.

It's toxic logic to believe in the biological phenomenon that sex can lead to pregnancy therefore you should carefully consider consequences before engaging in it?

Someone hates sex ed.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
New haven america wrote:I'm with Gen on this one, Keshi's logic is very toxic.

It's toxic logic to believe in the biological phenomenon that sex can lead to pregnancy therefore you should carefully consider consequences before engaging in it?

Someone hates sex ed.

Now who's moving the goalposts?

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:44 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Genivaria wrote:It's not disingenuous at all.

Logic: If you don't want babies, best way to not have them is to not have sex = Don't dress like a slut if you don't want to get raped.

I don't see the connection outside of making a more convenient argument for yourself in a disingenuous way. He didn't make any remarks on women, or rape culture at all, he made the actually true statement for both men and women that sex can lead to pregnancy. Dress or rape culture is irrelevant to that statement.

Here's the explanation: "Don't do X if you don't want Y" is a very toxic and destructive line of thinking.

Don't have sex if you don't want kids, don't dress like a slut if you don't want to get raped, just make money if you want to stop being poor, don't be abused if you don't want to be abused, etc... all pretty much mean the same thing: It's only your fault if something you don't want happens, you only have yourself to blame, deal with the consequences. It dehumanizes others and gives the people who support this view a warped vision of life.
Last edited by New haven america on Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Keshiland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:44 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Someone hates sex ed.

You never explained what was toxic so he just moved the goalpost back to where is should have been
OOC- I am a Prolife Liberal who is Anti Gun, Pro Immigration, Pro UHC, Pro financial aid, and anything that makes children's lives better. I am also eco-friendly.

IC- The Federation of Keshiland stands for freedom and local governance. Requirements for state hood. A territory atleast 1,000 KL and a population of atleast 100k. Our Constitution keeps us free and can only be changed with a 3/4ths ratification of the states.

State count 135

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:45 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Vassenor wrote:So to all the people saying that abortion should be illegal: Are you all willing to fund the welfare programs that said parent may require after birth?

Of course not. George Carlin had a bit about this that is savage, but true. According to him, some people think the fetus is important up until the point it's actually born, then they don't want anything to do with it. Education? Health care? Food? Shelter? If it might have disabilities related to genetic factors, malnutrition during pregnancy, the mother's being physically abused during pregnancy, or substance abuse, do they want to fund programs to help them make something of their lives?

Nahhh, son. Cut that welfare shit, get them off the government teat. The only time Carlin says these folks get interested in these post-born fetuses again is when they hit 18 and there is the possibility of sending them to be maimed or killed in wars to protect financial interests of the rich in this country, or military dickwaving over who's got the biggest weapons and most power to abuse.

Yup, there's a reason why "pro-life" is a misnomer and should really be "pro-birth" instead. Once the baby slithers out it's nothing but a parasite on society.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Keshiland wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Now who's moving the goalposts?

You never explained what was toxic so he just moved the goalpost back to where is should have been

I don't think you know how that phrase works...

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Someone hates sex ed.

Keshiland wrote:
We are not saying kids are punishments. We are saying if you don't want to have them then don't have sex. There are other ways to get your sexual pleasure with out sowing your seeds to someone else.

That is what he said and that is what I'm referencing. This is what you replied to with your strawman statement of this statement above somehow equals rape culture. Which is ridiculous and completely unrelated.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
New haven america wrote:I'm with Gen on this one, Keshi's logic is very toxic.

1.It's toxic logic to believe in the biological phenomenon that sex can lead to pregnancy therefore you should carefully consider consequences before engaging in it?

2. Someone hates sex ed.

1. Oh how ironic of you
2. I actually like sex ed and sex/sexuality in general, they're quite fascinating subjects. However, since you brought is up, do you want to know what the worst type of sex ed is? I shouldn't have to tell you since you seem oh so knowledgeable on the subject, but I'll tell you anyway, it's abstinence only.
Last edited by New haven america on Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:49 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Now who's moving the goalposts?

Keshiland wrote:

That is what he said and that is what I'm referencing. This is what you replied to with your strawman statement of this statement above somehow equals rape culture. Which is ridiculous and completely unrelated.

K so clearly you don't know what a strawman is.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:51 pm

New haven america wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
1.It's toxic logic to believe in the biological phenomenon that sex can lead to pregnancy therefore you should carefully consider consequences before engaging in it?

2. Someone hates sex ed.

1. Oh how ironic of you
2. I actually like sex ed and sex/sexuality in general, they're quite fascinating subjects. However, since you brought is up, do you want to know what the worst type of sex ed is? I should've have to tell you since you seem oh so knowledgeable on the subject, but I'll tell you anyway, it's abstinence only.

Take your facts elsewhere.!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General