NATION

PASSWORD

Flat Earth

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What shape is the earth?

Flat
7%
Round
77%
Not Flat or Round
16%

Total votes : 380

Imperial Esplanade
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Esplanade » Thu May 25, 2017 12:02 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:No it's not. Theistic evolution is the belief that god started the process and helped evolution along so that humans could exist. I'm a firm believer in theistic evolution.

Which is just as silly a belief in a flat earth.
Perhaps even more silly in fact, since it requires you to cherrypick the parts of the theory of evolution you like while leaving out natural selection - destroying the whole framework of the theory. It is like saying you believe in tides, but not in the ocean.

That's not how any of it works when it comes to Theistic Evolution, not by a long shot.
Busy, but I check TGs often.
Imperial Esplanadian Constitution [WIP]

New Orleans, Louisiana.
Nation Weebly/Wiki - Coming Soon
The Land of the Free - Admin Assist.

But the Lord stood by me, and gave me strength. (2 Timothy 4:17)
One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory. (Rita Mae Brown)
SAINTS | PELICANS | TIGERS | PRIVATEERS

Sweet Baby Jones
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sweet Baby Jones » Thu May 25, 2017 12:04 pm

Zanera wrote:
Sweet Baby Jones wrote:U.S.A "Lemme get a fuckin UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MOON LANDING"
NASA "Moon landing machine broke"
U.S.A. "BIH FIX THAT SHIT"

"Can't we just contract Hollywood to set up the moon landing?"

"Yeah lets do that"
Im not racist, please dont assume so just by my flag. My flag is NOT the Confederate Flag, it is the South Carolina Sovereignty Flag!
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?

NStats are to be ignored unless said otherwise.

Imperial Esplanade
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Esplanade » Thu May 25, 2017 12:19 pm

Calladan wrote:
Sovaal wrote:No, believing that all Christians are homophobic bigots is stupid.

Well, that and creationism.

Did I say that all Christians are homophobic bigots? My quote is still there if you want to go look at it.

All I was saying is that various people believe various things, and some people believe things with little or no proof to back it up, and yet more people believe things even in the face of overwhelming evidence being provided to prove them wrong.

My point was I really don't give a crap what someone believes, as long as they don't try to a) force me to believe it as well, and b) cause anyone else to suffer by pursuing their beliefs. And - as far as I know - people who believe the earth is flat fall into both of those groups. They don't come to my house (or waylay me on the street) and try to make me believe the earth is flat (which is more than can be said for some Christians) and they don't use their beliefs to be shitty to other people (again.......)

For me - I believe unicorns are real, and have just been hiding all this time, that Luna Lovegood is our Lady and Saviour, that she and Harry are made for each other, and that Ronald and Ginny are the twins of evil who will, if given half a chance, rise up and eat our brains. Oh - and that the new films of "IT" and "Ready Player One" are going to su-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-uck.

Calladan wrote:
The Undersea Abyssal Empire wrote:Remember kids, the flat earth society has members all around the globe!

But yeah no honestly I've never seen such stupidity in my life till I saw and heard of the Flat Earth Society, it should be illegal and punishable by life imprisonment to be as stupid as them.

But a society that believe in an all powerful being with a beard who lives in the sky and tells them to hate gay people is ENTIRELY acceptable and not stupid at all?

Actually, given the context, it's pretty obvious you were making a mockery of society's acceptance of God, particularly one who "tells people to hate gay people." If we're using the example of Christians, there is no biblical commandment to "hate gay people" whatsoever. In fact, Jesus's entire ministry is dedicated to the exact opposite of any sort of hatred toward anyone. Anyone who perpetuates a command from "God" to "hate gay people" are doing so without any biblical justification and out of their own extremely-liberal interpretation and/or their own heart. However, with that being said, despising another's actions =/= despising another person. Do not conflate the two as being the same, if that is what you are doing. If you genuinely want to believe in magical unicorns, you're certainly welcome to do so. I don't care the slightest bit, that is your decision. However, don't expect me to lie low and not call out blatant hyperbole when you put it out there as criticism. Also, such mocking serves no utilitarian purpose and it threatens to derail the entire conversation. I'd advise against it in the future.
Last edited by Imperial Esplanade on Thu May 25, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Busy, but I check TGs often.
Imperial Esplanadian Constitution [WIP]

New Orleans, Louisiana.
Nation Weebly/Wiki - Coming Soon
The Land of the Free - Admin Assist.

But the Lord stood by me, and gave me strength. (2 Timothy 4:17)
One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory. (Rita Mae Brown)
SAINTS | PELICANS | TIGERS | PRIVATEERS

Calladan
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Thu May 25, 2017 1:09 pm

Imperial Esplanade wrote:
Calladan wrote:
Did I say that all Christians are homophobic bigots? My quote is still there if you want to go look at it.

All I was saying is that various people believe various things, and some people believe things with little or no proof to back it up, and yet more people believe things even in the face of overwhelming evidence being provided to prove them wrong.

My point was I really don't give a crap what someone believes, as long as they don't try to a) force me to believe it as well, and b) cause anyone else to suffer by pursuing their beliefs. And - as far as I know - people who believe the earth is flat fall into both of those groups. They don't come to my house (or waylay me on the street) and try to make me believe the earth is flat (which is more than can be said for some Christians) and they don't use their beliefs to be shitty to other people (again.......)

For me - I believe unicorns are real, and have just been hiding all this time, that Luna Lovegood is our Lady and Saviour, that she and Harry are made for each other, and that Ronald and Ginny are the twins of evil who will, if given half a chance, rise up and eat our brains. Oh - and that the new films of "IT" and "Ready Player One" are going to su-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-uck.

Calladan wrote:
But a society that believe in an all powerful being with a beard who lives in the sky and tells them to hate gay people is ENTIRELY acceptable and not stupid at all?

Actually, given the context, it's pretty obvious you were making a mockery of society's acceptance of God, particularly one who "tells people to hate gay people."

Damn right that's what I was doing. And I was doing it in response to someone who suggested that Flat Earthers should be locked up for the rest of their lives for what they believe, so it's not like I just threw the suggestion in for fun. Someone suggested people should be locked up for an insane and crazy belief, so I compared and contrasted it to what I perceive to be another insane and crazy belief.

Also, such mocking serves no utilitarian purpose and it threatens to derail the entire conversation. I'd advise against it in the future.

Actually such mocking is incredibly purposeful. It makes me smile. And for the love of puppies, we are talking about whether or not the earth is flat - it's not like this is the most serious topic in the world!!!
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu May 25, 2017 1:37 pm

Elejamie wrote:
Sovaal wrote:What about when you see the bottom of a ship disappear first as it goes over the horizon?

Also, would a horizon on a flat Earth? Genuine question, by the way, just to make sure whether or not that would be a good argument against a flat Earth.

There wouldn't be a horizon. You'd be able to see all the way to the edge, barring obstacles.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu May 25, 2017 1:40 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
Which is just as silly a belief in a flat earth.
Perhaps even more silly in fact, since it requires you to cherrypick the parts of the theory of evolution you like while leaving out natural selection - destroying the whole framework of the theory. It is like saying you believe in tides, but not in the ocean.

How? You do know that that you can believe in both a god and natural selection.

My belief is that god helped evolution along at times. Kinda like how a mechanic keeps a car running without actually running the car. It's not stupid as flat earth or anything remotely close to it. It's actually pretty rational

It's not rational, because it's a belief for which you have zero evidence that requires confounding assumptions.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

The Sauganash Union
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sauganash Union » Thu May 25, 2017 1:41 pm

All hail the cube!
A nation founded in the early 1800s by Federalist immigrants from the United States. Has since developed an identity of its own and imperial ambitions. Now a neoliberal imperial power that justifies its aggression by putting it the name of tolerance and social justice.

Handshakes and tie knots. I don't have time for someone who can't master these simple things.

Quintipoli
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Quintipoli » Thu May 25, 2017 1:47 pm

:rofl: I know from experience that when you go out on the ocean, the horizon is very clearly curved. It just makes sense that the earth is round. Also, if the earth was flat, the sun would illuminate the entire earth at once and there would be no day/night cycle. Even if the "spotlight sun" concept that the flat earthers claim is true, the sun would appear to rotate away from you, rather than sinking below the horizon. Also, even if NASA lied about the moon landing, that lie would have had a definite purpose behind it (defeating the USSR in the space race). I can't think of any motive they would have for pulling this on us.
[b]Quintipoli is a federation in the caucasus notable for its commitment to local autonomy. We do not use NS stats. Current year: 1963

Quintipoli
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Quintipoli » Thu May 25, 2017 1:54 pm

The earth is very clearly shaped like this:
[b]Quintipoli is a federation in the caucasus notable for its commitment to local autonomy. We do not use NS stats. Current year: 1963

Calladan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Thu May 25, 2017 1:56 pm

Quintipoli wrote::rofl: I know from experience that when you go out on the ocean, the horizon is very clearly curved. It just makes sense that the earth is round. Also, if the earth was flat, the sun would illuminate the entire earth at once and there would be no day/night cycle. Even if the "spotlight sun" concept that the flat earthers claim is true, the sun would appear to rotate away from you, rather than sinking below the horizon. Also, even if NASA lied about the moon landing, that lie would have had a definite purpose behind it (defeating the USSR in the space race). I can't think of any motive they would have for pulling this on us.

I can think of a motive - a fairly obvious one.

Imagine you are NASA, the premier space agency in the world. You have staked your reputation on getting a man to the moon in ten years. A president DIED to ensure this would happen (maybe - that might be a different conspiracy theory though). You get to the point where you are ready to launch the rocket when you realise it won't work because of something really fucking stupid - not just "the moon is further away than we thought" stupid, but like "well we worked it out, but we used the wrong units" stupid. I mean literally something that if you told the world about it, you would be mocked for THE REST OF TIME. You would be THE JOKE that people tell forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and..... well you get the idea.

What do you do then? Do you a) own up and become synonymous with "FUCKWHIT" for the rest of time, or b) fake it and make people think you are the brilliant people who landed a man on the moon (two men, sorry) and got them back again, all in the eye of the entire world.

For me - that would be a perfect reason for faking the moon landing. To avoid universal mocking for the rest of time.

(Note - please don't think this means I actually think that NASA faked the moon landings. I am merely suggesting that, given enough imagination, you can come up with a reason for ANYTHING!)
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

Quintipoli
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Quintipoli » Thu May 25, 2017 2:00 pm

Calladan wrote:
Quintipoli wrote::rofl: I know from experience that when you go out on the ocean, the horizon is very clearly curved. It just makes sense that the earth is round. Also, if the earth was flat, the sun would illuminate the entire earth at once and there would be no day/night cycle. Even if the "spotlight sun" concept that the flat earthers claim is true, the sun would appear to rotate away from you, rather than sinking below the horizon. Also, even if NASA lied about the moon landing, that lie would have had a definite purpose behind it (defeating the USSR in the space race). I can't think of any motive they would have for pulling this on us.

Imagine you are NASA, the premier space agency in the world. You have staked your reputation on getting a man to the moon in ten years. A president DIED to ensure this would happen (maybe - that might be a different conspiracy theory though). You get to the point where you are ready to launch the rocket when you realise it won't work because of something really fucking stupid - not just "the moon is further away than we thought" stupid, but like "well we worked it out, but we used the wrong units" stupid. I mean literally something that if you told the world about it, you would be mocked for THE REST OF TIME. You would be THE JOKE that people tell forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and..... well you get the idea.

What do you do then? Do you a) own up and become synonymous with "FUCKWHIT" for the rest of time, or b) fake it and make people think you are the brilliant people who landed a man on the moon (two men, sorry) and got them back again, all in the eye of the entire world.

For me - that would be a perfect reason for faking the moon landing. To avoid universal mocking for the rest of time.

(Note - please don't think this means I actually think that NASA faked the moon landings. I am merely suggesting that, given enough imagination, you can come up with a reason for ANYTHING!)

I never said that NASA had no motive for faking the moon landing, I said that they had no motive to tell everybody that the Earth is shaped differently than what it actually is.

There is evidence other than NASA that confirms that the earth is round. The ancient greeks figured it out using a simple experiment that you can do in your backyard. If the earth was actually flat and centered on the North Pole, the farther you got from the center of the disc, the more gravity would pull you at an angle. I'm fairly certain that this is not actually what happens when you go to the southern hemisphere, I have several good friends who have been their to confirm.
Last edited by Quintipoli on Thu May 25, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calladan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Thu May 25, 2017 2:03 pm

Quintipoli wrote:
Calladan wrote:

There is evidence other than NASA that confirms that the earth is round. The ancient greeks figured it out using a simple experiment that you can do in your backyard. If the earth was actually flat and centered on the North Pole, the farther you got from the center of the disc, the more gravity would pull you at an angle. I'm fairly certain that this is not actually what happens when you go to the southern hemisphere, I have several good friends who have been their to confirm.

I was just talking about why NASA would fake the moon landings :) But if you give me a few hours, I can come up with a reason as to why they would tell us the earth is round when it's really flat (it just takes a bit more imagination!)

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu May 25, 2017 2:04 pm

The Sauganash Union wrote:(Image)

All hail the cube!

Could be very confusing when you were flying towards the edge and had to make a 90 degree downward turn.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Zanera
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Thu May 25, 2017 2:06 pm

Galloism wrote:
The Sauganash Union wrote:(Image)

All hail the cube!

Could be very confusing when you were flying towards the edge and had to make a 90 degree downward turn.

Pullin' dem Gs.
Maybe not sphere Gs.
But greater cubic Gs.
Sphere Gs three times itselfs.

Quintipoli
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Quintipoli » Thu May 25, 2017 2:07 pm

Calladan wrote:[

I was just talking about why NASA would fake the moon landings :) But if you give me a few hours, I can come up with a reason as to why they would tell us the earth is round when it's really flat (it just takes a bit more imagination!)

NASA's claim about the shape of the earth is corroborated by many other pieces of evidence that (unless my brain is being hacked by Russia/NASA/The Space Lizard Freemason Illuminati) are easily replicable and don't require you to "trust" anyone.

Damverland
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Damverland » Thu May 25, 2017 2:10 pm

All these idiots arguing over whether the earth is flat, the earth is round, etc...

THIS is the real shape of the earth.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu May 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:How? You do know that that you can believe in both a god and natural selection.

My belief is that god helped evolution along at times. Kinda like how a mechanic keeps a car running without actually running the car. It's not stupid as flat earth or anything remotely close to it. It's actually pretty rational

It's not rational, because it's a belief for which you have zero evidence that requires confounding assumptions.

So belief in a god is irrational and confounding?
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Deutsch Mitteleuropa
Envoy

Founded: Dec 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Deutsch Mitteleuropa » Thu May 25, 2017 2:15 pm

Damverland wrote:All these idiots arguing over whether the earth is flat, the earth is round, etc...

(Image)

Fun fact: There are times when it's below-zero in northern Texas and summer-like weather in southern Texas.
I do not use NS Stats.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support capitalism, put this in your signature

The Berliner News: Mitteleuropa grants limited sovereignty to its regions based on nationality | Yet another constitution | The Kaiser still hasn't grown hair on his face. What a wuss!

Damverland
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Damverland » Thu May 25, 2017 2:15 pm

Deutsch Mitteleuropa wrote:
Damverland wrote:All these idiots arguing over whether the earth is flat, the earth is round, etc...

(Image)

Fun fact: There are times when it's below-zero in northern Texas and summer-like weather in southern Texas.

This is true.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu May 25, 2017 2:17 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

So belief in a god is irrational and confounding?

Belief in anything that requires confounding assumptions without evidence is irrational.
Last edited by Salandriagado on Thu May 25, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu May 25, 2017 2:19 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:So belief in a god is irrational and confounding?

Belief in anything that requires confounding assumptions without evidence is irrational.

How is belief in a god confounding? Are you saying that I'm irrational for believing in a god?
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu May 25, 2017 2:21 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

How is belief in a god confounding?

Am I going to have to explain basic grammar to you? "Belief in a god is confounding" and "belief in a god requires confounding assumptions" are entirely different sentences with entirely different meanings.

Are you saying that I'm irrational for believing in a god?

All humans are irrational. Your belief in a god is one way in which your particular irrationality manifests.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Quintipoli
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Quintipoli » Thu May 25, 2017 2:26 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:How is belief in a god confounding?

Am I going to have to explain basic grammar to you? "Belief in a god is confounding" and "belief in a god requires confounding assumptions" are entirely different sentences with entirely different meanings.

Are you saying that I'm irrational for believing in a god?

All humans are irrational. Your belief in a god is one way in which your particular irrationality manifests.

What if you've directly experienced god or some other form of divinity, and that's why you hold your religious beliefs. Is that irrational? Religious experiences (direct encounters with intelligent beings that don't appear to have a physical body) are, after all, the reason religion exists at all.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Thu May 25, 2017 2:26 pm

Sweet Baby Jones wrote:
Zanera wrote:
"Can't we just contract Hollywood to set up the moon landing?"

"Yeah lets do that"

"Who's going to be the lead roll?"
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Thu May 25, 2017 2:27 pm

Deutsch Mitteleuropa wrote:

(Image)

That, and it's on the southern end of tornado alley, so weather in the region can get a bit weird
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General