NATION

PASSWORD

Flat Earth

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What shape is the earth?

Flat
7%
Round
77%
Not Flat or Round
16%

Total votes : 380

Zanera
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Thu May 25, 2017 2:30 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Sweet Baby Jones wrote:"Yeah lets do that"

"Who's going to be the lead roll?"

"Arnold Schwarzenegger."

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu May 25, 2017 2:32 pm

Why would NASA lie about the shapeof the Earth? I mean, lying about the moon landing has its benefits, lying about Earth's shape, I can't see any
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Thu May 25, 2017 2:36 pm

Zanera wrote:
Sovaal wrote:"Who's going to be the lead roll?"

"Arnold Schwarzenegger."

"Is there going to be space chicks?"
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Thu May 25, 2017 2:40 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Zanera wrote:
"Arnold Schwarzenegger."

"Is there going to be space chicks?"

"Yes, and Arnold's going to be a pregnant angry dad around Christmas time who was genetically engineered to be perfect."
Last edited by Zanera on Thu May 25, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Thu May 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Zanera wrote:
Sovaal wrote:"Is there going to be space chicks?"

"Yes, and Arnold's going to be a pregnant angry dad around Christmas time who was genetically engineered to be perfect."

"Will he accidentally kill Santa on Christmas Eve, and having to take his place, travel around the globe delivering presents, and at the end, learn the true value of friends and family?"

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Thu May 25, 2017 2:49 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Zanera wrote:

"Will he accidentally kill Santa on Christmas Eve, and having to take his place, travel around the globe delivering presents, and at the end, learn the true value of friends and family?"

"Right after it turns into a testosterone-run high-adrenaline action movie where Arnold goes Rambo and destroys the Soviet Union and instates capitalism, yes."

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Thu May 25, 2017 2:51 pm

Zanera wrote:
Sovaal wrote:"Will he accidentally kill Santa on Christmas Eve, and having to take his place, travel around the globe delivering presents, and at the end, learn the true value of friends and family?"

"Right after it turns into a testosterone-run high-adrenaline action movie where Arnold goes Rambo and destroys the Soviet Union and instates capitalism, yes."

"Eh, I'd watch the first five sequels."

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Zanera
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zanera » Thu May 25, 2017 2:53 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Zanera wrote:

"Eh, I'd watch the first five sequels."

"Suckers."

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu May 25, 2017 2:58 pm

Quintipoli wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Am I going to have to explain basic grammar to you? "Belief in a god is confounding" and "belief in a god requires confounding assumptions" are entirely different sentences with entirely different meanings.

All humans are irrational. Your belief in a god is one way in which your particular irrationality manifests.

What if you've directly experienced god or some other form of divinity, and that's why you hold your religious beliefs. Is that irrational?

Yes, because you are failing to account for the fact that your brain is flawed, and that it being a hallucination is by far the more likely explanation.

Religious experiences (direct encounters with intelligent beings that don't appear to have a physical body) are, after all, the reason religion exists at all.

No they aren't. It being a convenient method for controlling populations and keeping them loyal to you is the reason it exists.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Melqart
Attaché

Founded: May 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Melqart » Thu May 25, 2017 3:21 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:How is belief in a god confounding?

Am I going to have to explain basic grammar to you? "Belief in a god is confounding" and "belief in a god requires confounding assumptions" are entirely different sentences with entirely different meanings.

Are you saying that I'm irrational for believing in a god?

All humans are irrational. Your belief in a god is one way in which your particular irrationality manifests.

I believe in god, and I entirely disagree. Why would it be irrational to assume there's something out there that gives answers to life's questions? Does it not make sense to have an allpowerful force. It may be irrational to believe/worship in creatures that are clearly made up by an author who doesn't believe in the creature he describes, (See: Cthulhu) but a god that explains things rather then create more questions? (Not entirely true, but truer than Cthulhu) A god that was written about since the biggining of writing? I believe in the god, and that monotheistic religion. I'll tell you now, one day, you will be cowering before a god, any god, and that god, will let you in to heaven graciously.

Sorry for the extreme amounts of religiousness, I just wanted to tell him how wrong he is.

Melqart
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Melqart » Thu May 25, 2017 3:23 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Quintipoli wrote:What if you've directly experienced god or some other form of divinity, and that's why you hold your religious beliefs. Is that irrational?

Yes, because you are failing to account for the fact that your brain is flawed, and that it being a hallucination is by far the more likely explanation.

Religious experiences (direct encounters with intelligent beings that don't appear to have a physical body) are, after all, the reason religion exists at all.

No they aren't. It being a convenient method for controlling populations and keeping them loyal to you is the reason it exists.

You're saying believing in a god is a brain-washing technique!!??

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu May 25, 2017 3:26 pm

Melqart wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

I believe in god, and I entirely disagree. Why would it be irrational to assume there's something out there that gives answers to life's questions?

Believing in things without evidence that require confounding assumptions is inherently irrational.

Does it not make sense to have an allpowerful force.

Not in the least.

It may be irrational to believe/worship in creatures that are clearly made up by an author who doesn't believe in the creature he describes, (See: Cthulhu) but a god that explains things rather then create more questions? (Not entirely true, but truer than Cthulhu)

The very existence of a god in any form inherently generates all manner of unanswerable questions.

A god that was written about since the biggining of writing?

Not even remotely true in any way, shape or form.

I believe in the god, and that monotheistic religion. I'll tell you now, one day, you will be cowering before a god, any god, and that god, will let you in to heaven graciously.

Got any evidence for that? No? Then it continues to be an irrational assumption.

Sorry for the extreme amounts of religiousness, I just wanted to tell him how wrong he is.

Well you fucked that up, didn't you?

Melqart wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

You're saying believing in a god is a brain-washing technique!!??

No, I'm saying that organised religions has its origins as a method of exercising state control over the populace.
Last edited by Salandriagado on Thu May 25, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Melqart
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Melqart » Thu May 25, 2017 3:40 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Melqart wrote:I believe in god, and I entirely disagree. Why would it be irrational to assume there's something out there that gives answers to life's questions?

Believing in things without evidence that require confounding assumptions is inherently irrational.

Who said I have no evidence?

Salandriagado wrote:
Does it not make sense to have an allpowerful force.

Not in the least.

Really? So I suppose you don't believe in extremely powerful forces like.... Gravity? Also, any reason it doesn't make sense. Sure... I can have no evidence, and you can have no reason.

Salandriagado wrote:
It may be irrational to believe/worship in creatures that are clearly made up by an author who doesn't believe in the creature he describes, (See: Cthulhu) but a god that explains things rather then create more questions? (Not entirely true, but truer than Cthulhu)

The very existence of a god in any form inherently generates all manner of unanswerable questions.

Like?

Salandriagado wrote:
A god that was written about since the biggining of writing?

I suppose you've been back in time then, and have learned that everything billions of people know is wrong.

Salandriagado wrote:
I believe in the god, and that monotheistic religion. I'll tell you now, one day, you will be cowering before a god, any god, and that god, will let you in to heaven graciously.

Got any evidence for that? No? Then it continues to be an irrational assumption.

You're right, you're not going to heaven. (You dug that hole)

Salandriagado wrote:

Well you fucked that up, didn't you?

No, I did not. If I "Fucked it up", I wouldn't have posted it.

Salandriagado wrote:
Melqart wrote:You're saying believing in a god is a brain-washing technique!!??

No, I'm saying that organised religions has its origins as a method of exercising state control over the populace.

The populace decides who it wants to follow. The pope isn't a dictator, and priests are not its thugs.

I find that you tend to criticize everything, because your sig only has one thing: Stupid quotes. You can't be wrong, can you?
Last edited by Melqart on Thu May 25, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norrisanada
Attaché

Founded: Dec 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Norrisanada » Thu May 25, 2017 3:42 pm

The world is obviously shaped like a fidget spinner

Melqart
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Melqart » Thu May 25, 2017 3:43 pm

Norrisanada wrote:The world is obviously shaped like a fidget spinner

Agreed.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu May 25, 2017 3:46 pm

Melqart wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Who said I have no evidence?

You have provided none, so you have none until proven otherwise.

Salandriagado wrote:
Not in the least.

Really? So I suppose you don't believe in extremely powerful forces like.... Gravity? Also, any reason it doesn't make sense. Sure... I can have no evidence, and you can have no reason.

Gravity is the single weakest force in the universe. No force is even remotely all powerful, largely on account of the inherent logical contradictions of such a force.

Salandriagado wrote:

Like?

What created this god? Is this god omnipotent? Then can it create a rock that it cannot lift? If not, why are you calling it a god?

Salandriagado wrote:

I suppose you've been back in time then, and have learned that everything billions of people know is wrong.

No, it's just not true that any deity has been written about for all of written history. Monotheism is a relatively modern invention.

Salandriagado wrote:

I notice a complete lack of evidence.

Salandriagado wrote:

The populace decides who it wants to follow. The pope isn't a dictator, and priests are not its thugs.

That's true in some of the world now. For the last several thousand years of history, the church and the state were usually the same thing, and the former was encouraged primarily to protect the latter.

I find that you tend to criticize everything, because your sig only has one thing: Stupid quotes. You can't be wrong, can you?

I criticise everything, yes. My own posts included. I am wrong all the damned time. You are the one who is unwilling to actually analyse your own beliefs.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Auristania
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Auristania » Thu May 25, 2017 4:07 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Why would NASA lie about the shapeof the Earth? I mean, lying about the moon landing has its benefits, lying about Earth's shape, I can't see any

Lying about the Earth's shape promotes the heresy of Round-Worldism preached by Galileo, Giordano Bruno, Newton the Protestant and Eratosthenes the Pagan.

Worse than that: ships and aeroplanes travel by great circles rather than straight lines because it uses less petrol. Those corporations put profit before the Catholic truth of Flat-Earthism.

Worse than that: these so called "scientists" don't even believe that that the World is round. At least a sphere is a thing. No. "Scientists" claim the Earth is flattened at the poles so it is an imperfect thing.

President Trump will write an Education Law to forbid teaching of Round-Worldism.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu May 25, 2017 4:16 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Why would NASA lie about the shapeof the Earth? I mean, lying about the moon landing has its benefits, lying about Earth's shape, I can't see any

5hey don't want you to know about the underside of the disc
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Melqart
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Melqart » Thu May 25, 2017 4:17 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Melqart wrote:Who said I have no evidence?

You have provided none, so you have none until proven otherwise.

Not unless I'm an angel down from heaven, which, of course, I am.

Salandriagado wrote:

Gravity is the single weakest force in the universe. No force is even remotely all powerful, largely on account of the inherent logical contradictions of such a force.

That is hilariously wrong. "The Single weakest force in the universe"? Gravity is the weakest force on earth. The universe is endless, and now you're making assumptions. That also does that mean it is weak.

Salandriagado wrote:
Like?

What created this god? Is this god omnipotent? Then can it create a rock that it cannot lift? If not, why are you calling it a god?

I see you've heard of this. I'm sure a god can answer that paradox for you. The god was just.... There. Yes. Yes it can.
Salandriagado wrote:

Salandriagado wrote:No, it's just not true that any deity has been written about for all of written history. Monotheism is a relatively modern invention.

True.... But religion isn't modern.... The first book, The Epic of Gelgemesh, had many religious quotes, despite the religion.

Salandriagado wrote:

I notice a complete lack of evidence.

Isn't it an assumption that I don't have evidence?

Salandriagado wrote:

That's true in some of the world now. For the last several thousand years of history, the church and the state were usually the same thing, and the former was encouraged primarily to protect the latter.

This is not that time period. Govs are no longer theocratic. How do you think the church got to control the state?

Salandriagado wrote:

I criticise everything, yes. My own posts included. I am wrong all the damned time. You are the one who is unwilling to actually analyse your own beliefs.

I see no evidence that I don't analyse my own beliefs.

Are you to lazy to use spoilers?

We have differing opinions. End of discussion.
Last edited by Melqart on Thu May 25, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calladan
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Thu May 25, 2017 4:47 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:

Because that's where they keep the REALLY good drugs?
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

The Federation of Kendor
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federation of Kendor » Thu May 25, 2017 4:51 pm

Bheothachadh wrote:So I've been doing a lot of browsing and reading lately and one of (what I thought at the time was) the strangest conspiracies I've came across was flat earth. I came across the Flat Earth Society, and my initial response to it was "fucking retards lmao there's proof from NASA" but then I got thinking - NASA lied to us about the moon landing, would they really not lie to us about the earth's shape? So I did some more reading, and I've came to the conclusion that the earth definitely isn't round, but it might not be flat either.

Anyway NS, I'm curious as to what your opinions are on this? Do you think the earth is flat? Do you think it's not round? Or do you believe NASA that it's round?

Round. Seriously, a flat Earth will be difficult to navigate by us, we will probably launched to space if we keep going straight at the edge with airplanes, physically impossible, and this universe is 3D. Also, where did you get the idea that the moon landing is a dirty lie?
My Dispatch
North Korean Russia wrote:"I am God! You are powerless against me! I am so awesome that when I play basketball I always get four points per shot!" -Kim Jong-Putin.

Independant Nations and Guilds wrote:Their founder turned into an eagle and flew into the sun before being burned to death. This is what their flag really means, and any other attempt at explanation of its meaning is ignored in favor of this explanation.

If you support liberal democratic capitalism, paste this into your sig: $LFD
RP links: TBA

Auristania
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Auristania » Thu May 25, 2017 5:08 pm

The Federation of Kendor wrote:
Bheothachadh wrote:So I've been doing a lot of browsing and reading lately and one of (what I thought at the time was) the strangest conspiracies I've came across was flat earth. I came across the Flat Earth Society, and my initial response to it was "fucking retards lmao there's proof from NASA" but then I got thinking - NASA lied to us about the moon landing, would they really not lie to us about the earth's shape? So I did some more reading, and I've came to the conclusion that the earth definitely isn't round, but it might not be flat either.

Anyway NS, I'm curious as to what your opinions are on this? Do you think the earth is flat? Do you think it's not round? Or do you believe NASA that it's round?

Round. Seriously, a flat Earth will be difficult to navigate by us, we will probably launched to space if we keep going straight at the edge with airplanes, physically impossible, and this universe is 3D. Also, where did you get the idea that the moon landing is a dirty lie?

Tweet from so called "President" Trump. FACT!!!

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu May 25, 2017 5:12 pm

Calladan wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

Because that's where they keep the REALLY good drugs?

One can only hope.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Phoenicaea
Ambassador

Founded: May 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenicaea » Thu May 25, 2017 11:01 pm

goddness theology political, or social discussion (as defined byMarx and Engels followers, who pose it) is, quite unfortunately, out of date. We live in deeper times nowadays, where opinion polls have replaced god as people's opium.

The margine thing they both used flat earth thing in their records, perhaps mostly as emphatic way, same way different campaigns both in tv and papers use nice women appreciation's as an argument; this thing isn t the core dylemn. Opinion polls discussion page urges.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Thu May 25, 2017 11:17 pm

Phoenicaea wrote:goddness theology political, or social discussion (as defined byMarx and Engels followers, who pose it) is, quite unfortunately, out of date. We live in deeper times nowadays, where opinion polls have replaced god as people's opium.

The margine thing they both used flat earth thing in their records, perhaps mostly as emphatic way, same way different campaigns both in tv and papers use nice women appreciation's as an argument; this thing isn t the core dylemn. Opinion polls discussion page urges.

That was a very long-winded way to say nothing.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General